The Daily for Tuesday Sep 29, 2020

richwmn

today is Confucius Day, National Biscotti Day, and National Coffee Day

Practical people would be more practical if they would take a little more time for dreaming.
        -- J. P. McEvoy

Meal suggestion for today - Acorn Squash

Drink of the Day - All the Man I Need

Wine of the day - Tensley Syrah Santa Barbara County Colson Canyon Vineyard vintage 2017

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Puntarenas
Koningsdam

Rotterdam Shipyard
Zaandam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam

Torquay GB
Westerdam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam
Oosterdam

0929World.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Coffee and biscotti go well together. 

Interesting quote.

I love acorn squash, great time of the year for them.

Can't wait to read about the Drink of the Day and the wine suggestion.  I appreciate the contributions of others to this wonderful thread.

Sending prayers to heal our world.  Bravo to those celebrating whatever good comes your way.

It's cool and rainy here.

Have a great day.

Stay safe.

• Like 8

Thank you for the daily, Rich.  A great selection of days today and I like the quote.  My alternate menu selection is from my final night on the Oosterdam, September 29, 2017, Chilled Raspberry Soup, Oven Roast Chicken, and Mango Blueberry Crisp.

Today’s care list:

Mrs Vmax

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Burnout at work, especially Live4cruises

RIP Former NTSB Chief Mark Rosenker

Flooding in Florida

California Wildfires

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Fiont Line Health Care Workers

A good Doctor’s report for himself

Occasional posters like Lcubed

Dfish heading for the woods

Joe Montana foiling a kidnapping

Kansas City Chiefs fans celebrating

Baseball playoffs

Tampa Bay Lightning

and Northern Lights

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thank  you for the lists Roy and Rich.

Coffee and Biscotti....yum great combination.

I couldn't find the recipe for All the Man I Need .  I know it's a Holland America drink and uses Maker's Mark but that's all.  I'm sure someone else will have it.

We have a glorious sunrise here in southern Florida....great start to the day.  And YEA Bolts.  Stanley Cup Champions.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

• Like 6

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

What a great selection of days.  Confucius is worthy of honouring   And, I’m happily sipping my cup of coffee and would love a biscotti to go with it 🙂 

Love today’s quote.  Acorn squash sounds great.  I just might pick one up today to enjoy with dinner.

Well, if our cruise would have happened, we would be at sea right now heading for Japan.  But like all of you, our travel plans changed dramatically for 2020:

7C11B770-07A7-491A-9318-F2A82C5AA5F4.jpeg.39ca723b468ecd59e25ef2c2ee872b85.jpeg

Prayers to everyone on Roy’s Care list and to all those who need them and a toast to everyone we are celebrating.

Enjoy your Tuesday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks.

• Like 16
  • Haha 7

Just got back from walking the dog.  It's cool and windy here,  with dark skies, rain any minute.  Currently it's 13C (55F).  I had on jeans and a light jacket.  I walked by a couple of kids waiting for the school bus, one of them had on shorts.  Oh, to be young again.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!  Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Denise hope your kitchen makeover is going well. Joy hope you did not have much damage from your windstorm.

@kazu, I am happy that I saw your picture between sips of my coffee!🙃

@summer slope, I think overhead Fred posted a drink list yesterday that might at least provided the ingredients of the drinks. It could be fun to guess what to do with all of them.

Great combo of days! I do not do biscotti at home. But I will make up for it with my coffee. Cooler temps are heading my way, so a stuffed acorn squash might be in my future.  Love today’s quote.

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating!

Stay well everyone! And stay away from Florida. Sadly some residents believe that the Governor opening up the state means there is no more threat from the virus.

This wine has some of the highest ratings I’ve seen. All vintages. And the price ranges in the very low $40s.  This might be one for your list. I had to look up “garrigue” - it refers to the low-growing vegetation on the limestone hills of the Mediterranean coast, not the limestone itself. There are a bunch of bushy, fragrant plants that grow wild there, such as juniper, thyme, rosemary and lavender, and garrigue refers to the sum of them. 

#14 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

.This wine is rich and deep with decadent notes of chocolate, bacon, and black fruits. The mouthfeel is round and velvety with a long, lingering finish. Look for hints of vanilla from the 20 percent new French oak used on each vintage.

WS95Wine Spectator
Deeply structured yet rich and polished, with smoked meat, huckleberry and garrigue notes that jaunt toward big but refined tannins on the finish. Drink now through 2028.
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

Thank you all for your positivity each morning on this wonderful thread!! It helps me take on whatever for the rest of the day.

Coffee in hand - a daily necessity; sadly That Woman in the Mirror needs to be reminded about biscotti, LOL!

Acorn squash is always a good idea. So is roast chicken. And together, they are a sellout in this empty nest home. Sadly, meatloaf will be a pale substitute this evening. Our wine will be lesser than the suggested one (sounds heavenly) and we will forgo a cocktail today.

kazu/jacqui: Thank you for making me laugh out loud with the visual presentation of your 2020 Holiday Plans!

Heartfelt thoughts to those on the Cares list and a little cheer to those on Celebrations.

-Cat

• Like 9

Good morning Rich. A great day it is when I wake up and read the Daily. Thank you.

Good morning sisters. Ann it sounds like Florida is headed for problems again. You stay safe. Denise hope the kitchen is coming along. So glad I was able to start with an empty pallet. I do not think I have one more remodel in me. Although I am waiting for an estimate to swap my dishwasher and double cabinets. Who on earth would put a double cabinet between the kitchen sink and a dishwasher? Jeez.

Our lab results all came back good, so we toasted to good labs last night.

Our weather is getting cool in the evening. Our house was 70 this morning, but weather should be warming things back into the 80's, so no heat on yet.

Roy, Jacqui, Ann, Summer thanks for your input. Roy I read about Joe saving his grand daughter. Wow!

Have a safe and happy day. God bless all those on Roy's prayer list and cheers to all as well.

Confucius say…”If dog Barks, it is under cook... | SuperJokes.Net

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Love the comical Confucius sayings, and, coffee and biscotti are simply made for each other.   I have to tell you a quick story about biscotti in our house.   I went to the big glass cookie jar where I keep my Christmas biscotti, only to find they had gone soft - how does that even happen?  After emptying the cookie jar on the counter, I found the culprit - an apple slice at the bottom.  DH (love him to death!) entered the room, gave me a kiss on the back of the neck and said "All your cookies were hard, so I put an apple slice into the jar to soften them up for you."  Seriously folks, that's love.

Not sure what's on our menu for dinner tonight, but there's a spaghetti squash sitting on the counter that needs baking, so it'll be a mish-mash of flavours, I'm sure.  And wine.

Prayers for all who need them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising my glass in toast for all on the celebration list.  Be well, stay safe.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, summer slope said:

I looked that up from yesterday but it didn’t give measurements. Thanks Fred. 

Could not find the exact recipe but my DH thinks it is  a take off on the Gold Rush Cocktail.

All the man I need (maybe):

Ingredients

1 ounce bourbon whiskey

1 1/2 ounces ginger liqueur

1/2 ounce homemade sour mix

Fresh Mint

Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes. Shake wellStrain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Gold Rush:

1 ounce bourbon whiskey

1 1/2 ounces ginger liqueur

1/2 ounce lemon juice (fresh)

Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes. Shake wellStrain into a chilled cocktail glass.

I have never had either and we don't have any bourbon in the house so someone else will need to try this😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning all,

We have a cool start (70s) to a day expected to peak over 100. It’s sounding like Santa Anas ( winds) are no longer predicted, just some gusts. For the next 3 days. 

It’s a “fix it” day here with both my mountain bike and sewing machine going back to their respective shops for TLC. 

@SeaSickSailor  WhoEver put a double cabinet between the kitchen sink and a dishwasher should be sentenced to using that space daily for a year, with a very large family. Maybe they would come to their senses?

@kazu and @Vict0riann I’m adding dahlias to our garden plan for next year! 

• Like 6

Yesterday, @Marmot@Sea posted a pint picture that looked vaguely familiar:

19143817_10212941382154505_7971605855708674188_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=-DsIRg3YXSwAX_BQfbd&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=7b7f0d514e4edff9f867d41ed41708c6&oe=5F978C85

So I searched my files and found out why. During a business trip in the spring of 2014, I had a weekend free to explore London. I had "Sunday Roast" and sticky pudding at The Jugged Hare near Victoria Station. It was delicious & I want to go back!

image.thumb.png.40327a72aedd0781878bf71d9ecca28c.png

image.thumb.png.55bd70c944ff8b63cf172e1376b26f10.png

image.thumb.png.f5dea7f1f9714d9faa736406dd9ce04c.png

• Like 10

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the daily, Rich.  A great selection of days today and I like the quote.  My alternate menu selection is from my final night on the Oosterdam, September 29, 2017, Chilled Raspberry Soup, Oven Roast Chicken, and Mango Blueberry Crisp.

Today’s care list:

Mrs Vmax

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Burnout at work, especially Live4cruises

RIP Former NTSB Chief Mark Rosenker

Flooding in Florida

California Wildfires

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Fiont Line Health Care Workers

A good Doctor’s report for himself

Occasional posters like Lcubed

Dfish heading for the woods

Joe Montana foiling a kidnapping

Kansas City Chiefs fans celebrating

Baseball playoffs

Tampa Bay Lightning

and Northern Lights

Roy

Riy:

That meal suggestion hs my mouth watering as it brings back many happy memories of days gone by on the Holland America line.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good Morning all,

We have a cool start (70s) to a day expected to peak over 100. It’s sounding like Santa Anas ( winds) are no longer predicted, just some gusts. For the next 3 days. 

It’s a “fix it” day here with both my mountain bike and sewing machine going back to their respective shops for TLC. 

@SeaSickSailor  WhoEver put a double cabinet between the kitchen sink and a dishwasher should be sentenced to using that space daily for a year, with a very large family. Maybe they would come to their senses?

@kazu and @Vict0riann I’m adding dahlias to our garden plan for next year! 

In Naperville we woke up to temps in the low 40's and we are going only to 60.  The leaves are starting to fall.

• Like 3