P&O Update 2 October 2020

Snow Hill

Just saw a short video from Neil Palomba (Carnival Cruise Line COO) outlining the current protocols in place onboard Costa ships saying this is what is the apparent model for other brands moving forward.

I can't link the video here unfortunately, but suffice it to say the points of interest include 100% testing of all guests/crew, face masks and physical distancing, reduced capacity, enhanced medical facilities, cleaning and disinfection, and only company sponsored shore excursions (or experiences in the case of P&O).

Likely no surprise to anyone who has been following the procedures put in place by MSC and I'm also sure many have already made up their minds in this current climate of 'new cruising' or whatever positive spin they're all likely to try and put in place but thought it of interest based on what's been written in the previously mentioned posts.

Apologies for repeating my comment in the previous thread to some extent but simple analysis on this interesting thread:

1) As predicted, cancellation flexibility likely to drop off once the Covid-19 protocols are deemed to be safe by P&O.  Unfair to pre-pandemic booking passengers but customer sentiment has hardly influenced the strategy at all so far - are we surprised?

2) This guff is linked to shoring up early bookings for the 2022 brochure launch.

3) A number of the transitional issues described for the "cruise experience" would continue through the rollout of any vaccine.  Therefore, these measures will potentially remain relevant to cruises in the new brochure.

4) Still no answer to the question - how would a spontaneous outbreak on board be managed?

5) Why would/should he get a package? 

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

Please consider that these new rules are in place for the first months after cruising is resumed but not for the next years! Everything has to go back to normal sometimes later in 2021.

I hope so. As a result of cancellations and the sale of a ship I have no P&O cruises booked until Jan 2022. When I booked it a couple of months ago (in anticipation of the cancellation of my Jan 2021 cruise) I felt reasonably confident that things would be back to normal by then. I no longer am.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I hope so. As a result of cancellations and the sale of a ship I have no P&O cruises booked until Jan 2022. When I booked it a couple of months ago (in anticipation of the cancellation of my Jan 2021 cruise) I felt reasonably confident that things would be back to normal by then. I no longer am.

We can but hope that you are proved wrong Denarius, maybe a vaccine will be available later this year, and maybe we will all have been vaccinated by Autumn next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

We can but hope that you are proved wrong Denarius, maybe a vaccine will be available later this year, and maybe we will all have been vaccinated by Autumn next year.

John - I do love your optimism!

But even if you are correct, that still means no cruises until, say, September 2021. 

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

We took a risk and booked a cruise (not with P&O) for September 2022. My feeling was, that if cruising was still not going ahead in 24 months time, then basically the world as we know it would no longer exist,  and I would be more worried about scavenging for scraps of food than a lost cruise deposit. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

John - I do love your optimism!

But even if you are correct, that still means no cruises until, say, September 2021. 

Not necessarily wowzz,  on my timescale maybe 33% of the population could be vaccinated by late Q1, and if us old crinklies are in the priority list, that should mean loads of potential cruisers desperate to sail.

That is IF the vaccine protects for longer than they think, which is 6 months and whether you have to have 2 shots which they think is likely.  this is the first vaccine against any coronavirus, one of which is the common cold which they have never managed to make a vaccine for.

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Not necessarily wowzz,  on my timescale maybe 33% of the population could be vaccinated by late Q1, and if us old crinklies are in the priority list, that should mean loads of potential cruisers desperate to sail.

The times are quoting experts that the whole Country could be Jabbed in 6 months. Surely the experts and the Times can't be wrong, can they.,🤔

21 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

That is IF the vaccine protects for longer than they think, which is 6 months and whether you have to have 2 shots which they think is likely.  this is the first vaccine against any coronavirus, one of which is the common cold which they have never managed to make a vaccine for.

But the common cold don't kill 20 sqillion people a year. A couple of paracetamol, a glass of Brandy and an early night won't work with Covid 19.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

The information that I have from the Covid vaccine trial says that I will have 2 shots with 3 weeks between them.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:05 AM, alsa said:

This is the framework from the uK Chamber of Shipping

https://ukchamberofshipping.com/latest/industry-comes-together-develop-new-covid-19-framework-cruise-operators/

interesting reading.

Yes it appears that way.  The part that I found strange was that you must not of ‘come from’ or ‘travelled through’ a place that is on lockdown.  Can you imagine if you live up north and want to travel to Southampton at the moment?  Not possible!

On 10/2/2020 at 10:46 AM, jeanlyon said:

Reading that it looks as if you have to prebook tables for food and can only dine with family members.  Not for me I'm afraid.  

The guidance says you may be asked to pre-book tables not will. As for the 'come from' or 'travelled through' lockdown criteria - this will just move you to stage 2 health screening which will definitely involve a test.

Every ship will have a covid management plan owned by a specific (additional) onboard member of staff who will oversea the covid management team. They will also have a covid outbreak plan. These are step by step plans well considered and planned. The provide clear ownership of responsibilities, include rules and procedures - all of what was lacking on the Diamond Princess. If you've every watched a practice drill, or heard a crew alert because something has gone wrong, you will be aware that these plans exist and a lot happens in the background before passengers start to be inconvenienced. 

• Like 4

The guidance says you may be asked to pre-book tables not will. As for the 'come from' or 'travelled through' lockdown criteria - this will just move you to stage 2 health screening which will definitely involve a test.

Every ship will have a covid management plan owned by a specific (additional) onboard member of staff who will oversea the covid management team. They will also have a covid outbreak plan. These are step by step plans well considered and planned. The provide clear ownership of responsibilities, include rules and procedures - all of what was lacking on the Diamond Princess. If you've every watched a practice drill, or heard a crew alert because something has gone wrong, you will be aware that these plans exist and a lot happens in the background before passengers start to be inconvenienced. 

Yes I’ve heard crew alerts many times and know they are well practised is these. As far as I’m concerned the more they do to get us all cruising again - the better. They are obviously doing everything they can so that’s fine with me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

12 hours ago, happy v said:

How is your niece doing, Josy?

She is not too bad at the moment  thank you. She has to have 6 rounds of chemo, the last one should be 1st January but guess that will probably be moved by a couple of days.  She then has to have some radiotherapy, I'm not sure how long that will take.  She has bought some wigs so we never know what colour or style her hair will be, the NHS one is by far the nicest and her contribution was only £90.

She keeps saying that she can't wait to see the end of 2020.  I feel sorry for the children because they can't have their friends around or go to their friends houses because she had to reduce contact with people.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

She is not too bad at the moment  thank you. She has to have 6 rounds of chemo, the last one should be 1st January but guess that will probably be moved by a couple of days.  She then has to have some radiotherapy, I'm not sure how long that will take.  She has bought some wigs so we never know what colour or style her hair will be, the NHS one is by far the nicest and her contribution was only £90.

She keeps saying that she can't wait to see the end of 2020.  I feel sorry for the children because they can't have their friends around or go to their friends houses because she had to reduce contact with people.

Our thoughts are with you all Josy. Regardless of the down sides, it is horrible, but chemotherapy works for millions of people. 

Andy xx

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Our thoughts are with you all Josy. Regardless of the down sides, it is horrible, but chemotherapy works for millions of people. 

Andy xx

Thank you Andy, we are all trying to be positive. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy xx

It worked for my friend. Cancer free for 26 years. She's now 84 and as fit as a fiddle.

Avril

• Like 7

then there is the problem that the White House has obviously hit.  I read this morning that in the first few days of acquiring the infection, the test will be negative, then one third of tests also give a false negative.  It wasn't rumour, it was from a senior doctor in the States.  Seems the WH has relied on testing.  I did think it was odd that people coming to see the President are tested and if they are negative, then they go in.  even a layman can work out that if they have only just been infected, the test will be negative because the virus has not got going, but you are still able to pass it on. 

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

then there is the problem that the White House has obviously hit.  I read this morning that in the first few days of acquiring the infection, the test will be negative, then one third of tests also give a false negative.  It wasn't rumour, it was from a senior doctor in the States.  Seems the WH has relied on testing.  I did think it was odd that people coming to see the President are tested and if they are negative, then they go in.  even a layman can work out that if they have only just been infected, the test will be negative because the virus has not got going, but you are still able to pass it on. 

I thought it was just flu and tests were useless anyway. Talk about hypocrisy!!

Avril

• Like 3

On 10/3/2020 at 3:55 PM, zap99 said:

But the common cold don't kill 20 sqillion people a year. A couple of paracetamol, a glass of Brandy and an early night won't work with Covid 19.

Flu contributed to an extra 50,000 deaths over winter in UK just a couple years back.

My memory fails me as i cant recall any disruption over that.

How many will die from other causes due to everything being geared toward fighting this ‘deadly’Virus that in the vast majority of people will do little harm.

i am sorry but it stinks.

Edited by Chrisdriving

7 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

Flu contributed to an extra 50,000 deaths over winter in UK just a couple years back.

The hospitals A&E depts were under very significant pressure, although probably not as bad as the covid crisis.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

How many will die from other causes due to everything being geared toward fighting this ‘deadly’Virus that in the vast majority of people will do little harm.

i am sorry but it stinks.

My point was that a common cold vaccine has never been a priority as treatments are available over the counter, or the bar to mitigate symptoms. I am no expert , but everyone seems to have there own theory. As regards no disruption with the 50,000 deaths, I think that the 50,000  people who died may have felt a bit disrupted. We know nothing at the moment, just pet theories .

• Like 2