Princess Medallion use update

ALWAYS CRUZIN

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

Didn't know about the penny - although I was, of course, familiar with the phrase. Calls were a dime when I was a kid.

You must be a youngster compared to me.

When I was young a pay phone cost a nickle for a local call.

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

Didn't know about the penny - although I was, of course, familiar with the phrase. Calls were a dime when I was a kid. Candy bars were a nickel. I could ride my bike around, scrounge a few soda (pop for those in the midwest) bottles, turn them in at the store for 3 cents each, and buy candy. (Actually we didn't say "soda" either. We called everything "Coke". Can I get a coke? Okay, what kind do you want? Ummm...  A Creme Soda. Of course everything was in a bottle. It was sooooooooooooo much better.) There were a few "higher end" candy bars that cost a dime but I rarely purchased those. 50 cents ($0.50) would by 10 candy bars. Wow. Compared to today things were cheap. Of course, compared to today, wages were low. If I had my current (not real big) retirement pay in those days I would have been really well off. My wife remembers her dad talking about "if he had a ton of money" buying a $50k house. These days that's not even a luxury car, let alone a luxury house.

Sigh... Sidetracked again.

I'm older than you, I guess.  We only got two cents a bottle when I was a kid but tootsie pops were two cents also so it worked out, unless I had my little brother tagging along, then I had to search twice as long.

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

Didn't know about the penny - although I was, of course, familiar with the phrase. Calls were a dime when I was a kid. Candy bars were a nickel. I could ride my bike around, scrounge a few soda (pop for those in the midwest) bottles, turn them in at the store for 3 cents each, and buy candy. (Actually we didn't say "soda" either. We called everything "Coke". Can I get a coke? Okay, what kind do you want? Ummm...  A Creme Soda. Of course everything was in a bottle. It was sooooooooooooo much better.) There were a few "higher end" candy bars that cost a dime but I rarely purchased those. 50 cents ($0.50) would by 10 candy bars. Wow. Compared to today things were cheap. Of course, compared to today, wages were low. If I had my current (not real big) retirement pay in those days I would have been really well off. My wife remembers her dad talking about "if he had a ton of money" buying a $50k house. These days that's not even a luxury car, let alone a luxury house.

Speaking of thread drift...  Spaldings  were a dime.

Spalding High-Bounce Ball

6 hours ago, kitty2264 said:

I'm older than you, I guess.  We only got two cents a bottle when I was a kid but tootsie pops were two cents also so it worked out, unless I had my little brother tagging along, then I had to search twice as long.

I'm sure there were still nickel phones but I didn't make calls in those days. Information is all over the map as far as when the cost changed. I see one place that says the "official" change was in 1952 but there were still some that worked with a nickel. Other sources say it started to change in 1949 but, again, there were still phones that worked with a nickel. At least one source cites instances of nickel phone calls as late as 1962. I was born in 1953 I wasn't making phone calls during the 50's.

50 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I'm sure there were still nickel phones but I didn't make calls in those days. Information is all over the map as far as when the cost changed. I see one place that says the "official" change was in 1952 but there were still some that worked with a nickel. Other sources say it started to change in 1949 but, again, there were still phones that worked with a nickel. At least one source cites instances of nickel phone calls as late as 1962. I was born in 1953 I wasn't making phone calls during the 50's.

I was visiting New Orleans in the summer of 1969 and was surprised to find that the pay phones there only needed a nickel.

• Like 1

Since we side tracked the original posters subject line about the Medallion, who thinks that in the next 20 years or so the Medallion would seem as absolute as the 10 cent pay phone?

I have only take one Medallion cruise and it was a beta test on the Royal. As someone who is not afraid of technology I did

not find it anymore intrusive than anything else technologic. Even if you do not want to carry your cell phone with you, there are "Medallion boards" that have what you need. I kind of found that interesting. I, for one, will be using my cell phone on the ship if not my tablet as well. 

25 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

Since we side tracked the original posters subject line about the Medallion, who thinks that in the next 20 years or so the Medallion would seem as absolute as the 10 cent pay phone?

I agree with what you've shared. As for your question, people on here have thrown around the idea that the concept of the Medallion will eventually be fully implemented into whatever form of mobile communication you have so that an extra "device" (like the small medallion disc) would no longer be needed. And phones will definitely be changing in the next 20 years but Carnival Corp should also be able to adapt to that (well, hopefully, given its resources and access to experts), so I think that's what will most likely happen.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2020 at 2:38 PM, cruzsnooze said:

I have a smart phone and won't use it on a cruise PERIOD. If it means booking with other cruise lines I will. I like Azamara and Lindblad and Viking so there are options. I seriously doubt a phone will ever be required and there won't be other options like a paper menu. 

It would be almost impossible for me to order before arriving in the dining room I need to be asking the waiter questions about ingredients and advise.

One of our favorite things is sneaking down throughout the day and checking out the menu by the dining room doors!

21 hours ago, Thrak said:

Where did you grow up?  Calling all soda 'Coke' sounds Southern – except that it was pronounced 'Co-Cola'

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 1:53 PM, trbarton said:

Didn’t think about all of the IPads in the Dinning Room. Now that will be interesting. I bring an IPad on my cruise but only for a large clock on the desk table at night & for emails. 

I feel sorry for the people that have a small flip phone, I know some people that have one, don’t think that they could load the app to scan the bar code & even if they could look at to how small the screen is. 

Tom😀

Hope things change by 2021 when go on Princess again 😞 so far away. I have an older flip phone and can't down load anything. I only use it for emergencies. I don't use an IPad I read paperback books, Hubby likes hard covers.

I'm not old just old fashioned I guess.

6 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Hope things change by 2021 when go on Princess again 😞 so far away. I have an older flip phone and can't down load anything. I only use it for emergencies. I don't use an IPad I read paperback books, Hubby likes hard covers.

I'm not old just old fashioned I guess.

You're not alone.

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Where did you grow up?  Calling all soda 'Coke' sounds Southern – except that it was pronounced 'Co-Cola'

Northern California. My mom called everything "Coke". Perhaps it came from my grandparents. They were both from Pawhuska, Oklahoma. When I was older I always called it "Soda" which is what we call it today. We didn't call it "Co-Cola" and we didn't put peanuts in our Coke. I had never even heard of that until I was around 30 when an old guy who ran a food warehouse at the school district used to put peanuts in his Coke. (He "appropriated" the peanuts from giant cans the school district got from the government.)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Northern California. My mom called everything "Coke". Perhaps it came from my grandparents. They were both from Pawhuska, Oklahoma. When I was older I always called it "Soda" which is what we call it today. We didn't call it "Co-Cola" and we didn't put peanuts in our Coke. I had never even heard of that until I was around 30 when an old guy who ran a food warehouse at the school district used to put peanuts in his Coke. (He "appropriated" the peanuts from giant cans the school district got from the government.)

I never heard of the peanut thing either.  But my mother was from western Kentucky, which is just barely Southern [the nearest big city is Evansville, Indiana].  She did call it 'Co-Cola' and she did have a bottle opener on the end of the kitchen counter with the Coca-Cola logo [no Southern home should be without one!]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I never heard of the peanut thing either.  But my mother was from western Kentucky, which is just barely Southern [the nearest big city is Evansville, Indiana].  She did call it 'Co-Cola' and she did have a bottle opener on the end of the kitchen counter with the Coca-Cola logo [no Southern home should be without one!]

Two Kentucky jokes. I got the second one from one of my wife's nieces who lives in Kentucky.

1: In a poll of Kentucky citizens 38% pronounced the name of the capital city as "Louie Ville". The other 62% said it was pronounced "Lovelle". Unfortunately, the name of the capital of Kentucky is pronounced "Frankfort".

2:  What's the difference between a violin and a fiddle?  A violin has "strings". A fiddle' got '"strangs".

My sincere apologies to anybody from Kentucky. I live in California. Imagine the number of jokes about that...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Sometimes those hillbillies aren't as stupid as the city folk think. 

There's a town in southern Illinois named Vienna – pronounced 'Vy-Anna.'

Most strangers think that's because the locals were illiterate or didn't know nothin' 'bout Austria.

But the true story is that the settlers decided to name the town after the first child born there, and the first birth was twin girls – who were named Vy and Anna.

The mistake occurred when the US Geological Survey people came to town and, thinking the locals were stupid, wrote it down as 'Vienna.'

15 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sometimes those hillbillies aren't as stupid as the city folk think. 

There's a town in southern Illinois named Vienna – pronounced 'Vy-Anna.'

Most strangers think that's because the locals were illiterate or didn't know nothin' 'bout Austria.

But the true story is that the settlers decided to name the town after the first child born there, and the first birth was twin girls – who were named Vy and Anna.

The mistake occurred when the US Geological Survey people came to town and, thinking the locals were stupid, wrote it down as 'Vienna.'

We have a similar road in Southern California--Katella Avenue--named for a local farmer's daughters--Kate and Ella. 

6 hours ago, Dunk said:

We have a similar road in Southern California--Katella Avenue--named for a local farmer's daughters--Kate and Ella. 

In Alameda, California they have Versailles Avenue. The locals pronounce it Ver-sales. French was not their strength...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

In Alameda, California they have Versailles Avenue. The locals pronounce it Ver-sales. French was not their strength...

In the US "old west" many things were changed. La Riata became lariat. The Purgatoire river became the Picketwire. Here in the US we can pretty much mangle anything. Heck, even things that didn't come from other languages. For instance the ads for "Lite" beers or for "XMas" decorations.

I don't have a smart phone, think about it sometimes, haven't yet.  I do use the internet cafe on the ship and I'm always amazed at the long line waiting for help with phones, tablets! 🙂  It is a different world these days and people need to feel connected.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:03 AM, INeedAMaiTai said:

It'll be interesting to see what they do about people without phones, disabilities in using devices, and kids without phones. 

There are interactive boards around the ship that are for those who want to use them instead of a cell phone or tablet.

Watch the video on the Princess website. It has good information about the Medallion and how it is used.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 10:03 AM, INeedAMaiTai said:

It'll be interesting to see what they do about people without phones, disabilities in using devices, and kids without phones. 

They will always be able to get a regular cruise card. I always do. Because of the warning inside the medallion instructions clearly states the medallion should not be used with people who have pacemakers. The magnets in the medallion can interfer with implants. There will always be an alternative.

For all you folks who are nervous that using your smart phone on the ship will incur roaming charges and for those who don't want to invest in one I suggest a less expensive alternative would be an inexpensive tablet. Amazon's Kindle Fire series low-end models are very inexpensive and would serve nicely on a ship as an interface to its intranet. No, I don't work for Amazon!