The Daily for Saturday Oct 24, 2020

richwmn

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thank you Cat for anniversary wishes. I am married to the greatest guy. One favor to ask you. Can we come to your house for lamb shanks this evening? 🤩

That would be awesome!!!  If others are interested, we have2 more leaves for the dining room table. Are you OK with mashed potatoes? Or would you prefer cauliflower mash? If you prefer white wine, I'lll have to dash out to the market, LOL!! Do you happen to have a pilot and jet at your beck & call? Our little airport is just a few miles away. For commercial service, Washington Dulles is about an hour away (when traffic is light).

In the future, we look forward to when we can all visit each other/meet up on some Dam ship at the Ocean Bar or the Crow's Nest for cocktails, then sashay off to dinner at who knows which venue. Sadly, we have to get this virus in our rearview mirrors first. But we remain optimistic that such a day will come.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good day,  thank you Rich, Roy, Cat shepherd for the delicious sounding wine....

lots to celebrate!  
we are recovering from nearly another foot of snow!   Even the local snowbirds are grounded and some Pacific loons  have lost their way! 

image.jpeg

63BB036F-E9F9-40EA-86C1-9B24124129F9.jpeg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good afternoon and thanks for the update

I’m happy to add to all the celebrations today and @rafinmd have a special one and care to add to our list.

I just came back from a drive thru chicken bbq at Bird-in- hand fire company. 
If you remember back in August we were praying for JASON, the young firefighter that was in the car accident. 
Well the bbq today is to benefit him and his family.   The best news is JASON CAME HOME LAST Night. 
He is still paralyzed from the waist down but is regaining feelings in his arms and hands. He has a long way to go. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Best news we've heard all day!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My 2003 circumnavigation plan called for overnight segments on 4 different ships.  Just one of the four is in the same service today as it was in 2003.  I only got a poor photo ofher in 2003, but when I sailed the Prinsendam in 2015, I encountered the MS Gabriella in Stockholm.

gabriella.jpg

Here’s some current information on the Gabriella:

Gabriella

I left Stockholm at 4:50pm and arrived Helsinki at 9:55am.  Each cabin, even my tiny one has toilet and shower, and a bed that folds down at night:

gabriellabedready.jpg

There were outer deck spaces but they were not very attractive, especially in early April in that area.

wrld1340.thumb.jpg.b91c589afd2f6603f3bfd057c985cb53.jpg

I had most of April 8 in Helsinki but it was not exactly in season.  

wrld1390.thumb.jpg.c5e364bc4249caa05762bee04591e738.jpg

There was a nice walk through town that I rediscovered 12 years later from the Prinsendam.

wrld1440.jpg.885395503a4a264ba901d00338dd5bc2.jpg

The highlight for me in Helsinki was a monument to Sebalius:

sibaleus2003.jpg

My next installment won’t cover much travel but will touch on the nuts and bolts of independent travel in Russia.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good day,  thank you Rich, Roy, Cat shepherd for the delicious sounding wine....

lots to celebrate!  
we are recovering from nearly another foot of snow!   Even the local snowbirds are grounded and some Pacific loons  have lost their way! 

image.jpeg

That looks like a Christmas card pic! (without the Loonies 😉)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

If you remember back in August we were praying for JASON, the young firefighter that was in the car accident. 
Well the bbq today is to benefit him and his family.   The best news is JASON CAME HOME LAST Night. 

such good news.  I pray that he recovers more 🙏🏻 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

My 2003 circumnavigation plan called for overnight segments on 4 different ships.  Just one of the four is in the same service today as it was in 2003.  I only got a poor photo ofher in 2003, but when I sailed the Prinsendam in 2015, I encountered the MS Gabriella in Stockholm.

gabriella.jpg

Here’s some current information on the Gabriella:

Gabriella

I left Stockholm at 4:50pm and arrived Helsinki at 9:55am.  Each cabin, even my tiny one has toilet and shower, and a bed that folds down at night:

gabriellabedready.jpg

There were outer deck spaces but they were not very attractive, especially in early April in that area.

wrld1340.thumb.jpg.b91c589afd2f6603f3bfd057c985cb53.jpg

I had most of April 8 in Helsinki but it was not exactly in season.  

wrld1390.thumb.jpg.c5e364bc4249caa05762bee04591e738.jpg

There was a nice walk through town that I rediscovered 12 years later from the Prinsendam.

wrld1440.jpg.885395503a4a264ba901d00338dd5bc2.jpg

The highlight for me in Helsinki was a monument to Sebalius:

sibaleus2003.jpg

My next installment won’t cover much travel but will touch on the nuts and bolts of independent travel in Russia.

Roy

Thank you Roy!! My nationality is on my mom’s side I am Russian and on my dad’s side I am Hungarian! Blonde and blue eyes! My mom died young when I was only 34! I never knew much about my mom’s heritage since my grandparents also died young. I will look forward to your journey and photos! Will I travel there? Sorry No. 

But would like to see your view point! 
Thank you Roy as always.

Denise 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Checking in late in the day to see I've missed some great celebrations.  First and foremost, a huge cheer for the young firefighter, Jason, on his return home.  Prayers for continued progress in his recovery.

@Overhead Fred   A very Happy Birthday to you!

@TheKingD  and @Live4cruises Wishing both couples Happy Anniversary, and many more wonderful years together!

Wow, do I ever have to drink a lot of "extra" wine to toast each of you!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Thank you Rich, Roy and all of you who make a difference to this thread. Interesting bunch of days, today.

I don't often have bologna any more, but earlier this year I had a hankering. It was quite tasty, but I don't think anyone else in the family ate it other than me.  😁    

Sending anniversary and birthday greetings to those celebrating! I hope you day has been wonderful!         

6 hours ago, gigianne said:

Having never drank a cup of coffee, I will definitely pass on today’s drink suggestion. 

I'm not a coffee drinker, either, gigianne, but Irish coffee is a drink of its own. Kind of like blueberry tea. 😉

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Wow!  I was worried I might be missing some for the care list but it's the celebrations where I came up short.

Roy

Roy, you didn't come up short! Who would have known that there are so many people with special days this week? Lots of toasts for a Saturday evening. 

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

lots to celebrate!  

image.jpeg

Pretty as a Christmas card is right. Fingers crossed we don't get this this coming week. I'm having my garage insulated and new drywall put in, so my car is outside for the week. I haven't had to scrape my car since I retired 5 years ago!

We had the 2 yo grandson today while his parents were readying their house for realtors to come in and let them know how much it would sell for. The gs is a riot. He has his daddy's sense of humour lol. Lots of fun!

Sending prayers for those who need them, and off to toast all those birthdays and anniversaries. 🥂

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask. 😷

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

That would be awesome!!!  If others are interested, we have2 more leaves for the dining room table. Are you OK with mashed potatoes? Or would you prefer cauliflower mash? If you prefer white wine, I'lll have to dash out to the market, LOL!! Do you happen to have a pilot and jet at your beck & call? Our little airport is just a few miles away. For commercial service, Washington Dulles is about an hour away (when traffic is light).

In the future, we look forward to when we can all visit each other/meet up on some Dam ship at the Ocean Bar or the Crow's Nest for cocktails, then sashay off to dinner at who knows which venue. Sadly, we have to get this virus in our rearview mirrors first. But we remain optimistic that such a day will come.

We will bring the wine. My mind is on those lamb shanks!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

I'm not a coffee drinker, either, gigianne, but Irish coffee is a drink of its own. Kind of like blueberry tea. 😉

I’m with you on this one,   I don’t drink coffee either unless it’s a Monte Christo or there’s Baileys involved 😁. Love tea but not blueberry tea🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

That looks like a Christmas card pic! (without the Loonies 😉)

The loons got away!  They were very nearly iced in!  But the Canada geese like a lot of snowbirds are respecting the closed border, 😂.  Guess they haven’t find out flying is ok! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, Mickb said:

Zaandam left Torbay this morning. I think she has gone to Southampton for stores.

Looks like that didn't happen; she was just exercising her engines and making water.  She did get pretty close to Southampton, though.

Roy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bennybear said:

The loons got away!  They were very nearly iced in!  But the Canada geese like a lot of snowbirds are respecting the closed border, 😂.  Guess they haven’t find out flying is ok! 

Interesting. We’ve had several flocks of Canada Geese living around here full time for the past several years. They’re quite impressive when a flock flies over- usually quite low. Our Golden Retriever gets excited. 

• Like 2