First Caribbean cruise since pandemic shutdown has passenger test positive

WonderMan3

18 hours ago, deliver42 said:

The idiots that run Sea Dream thought, and told their passengers that masks weren't necessary. This is the result. How can MSC with a large ship, have no Covid after quite a few cruises, and this Mickey Mouse company with 200 passengers can't get through one cruise?

MSC was drawing there passengers from countries which, at the time they started had relatively low infection rates.  Will be interesting to see how their luck hold if they continue sailing with the higher infection rates.

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Here in PA we have very high compliance to mask wearing in all public areas, except outdoors like in parks where social distancing is practiced.  But our numbers are very much going up (positive tests at least).  Why?  I do think we would be much, much worse without masks in public.  So possible reasons?  What are we not seeing and doing?

Most of the infections are occurring indoors in private settings and gatherings with or without masks.  Infections are happening even with masks and with social distancing after a certain exposure time indoors. Worse if in poorly ventilated spaces.  That is the bottom line truth that is verified over and over again by tracers and epidemiologists and public health officials.  That is why they are so worried about Thanksgiving in the US and of course the year end holiday season.

And that is the primary reason that cruise ships will still be sources of infection spreading.   The only time you can be without a mask is in your private cabin.  Same for the crew.  Even then we will have outbreaks on ships because infected asymptomatic people even with masks in close contact in the ship indoor areas have a very high potential to still infect each other.  So fellow cruisers, the Sea Dream case is no mystery.  It will be the norm until there is an effective vaccine that is widely available.

I just dread the numbers we are going to see starting a few weeks after Thanksgiving with all those many family gatherings. Lord help us all...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nocl said:

MSC was drawing there passengers from countries which, at the time they started had relatively low infection rates.  Will be interesting to see how their luck hold if they continue sailing with the higher infection rates.

Another dynamic is that MSC and Costa (both have had positive cases) don't have to publicly reveal the positive cases; both lines positive cases were leaked.  Worse for MSC, the line knew it had at least positive case on the current sailing and an executive had an interview with ThePointsGuy Gene Sloan where they basically bragged their protocols were working.

49 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Another dynamic is that MSC and Costa (both have had positive cases) don't have to publicly reveal the positive cases; both lines positive cases were leaked.  Worse for MSC, the line knew it had at least positive case on the current sailing and an executive had an interview with ThePointsGuy Gene Sloan where they basically bragged their protocols were working.

This did not need to happen for sure.  I realize cruising needs to resume somehow, but this was not the way to do it.  Has set the industry back quite a bit.  

15 hours ago, nocl said:

Currently MSC is sailing basically with Italians. There are only some single non Italians onboard. MSC did not accept French, Spanish, Swiss guests anymore for a while. As a German I still could go but as Italy is a high risk area for Germany I have to quarantine after the cruise when I´m back home.

steamboats

13 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I just dread the numbers we are going to see starting a few weeks after Thanksgiving with all those many family gatherings. Lord help us all...

Yes and then Dec 24/25 comes along and shortly after Dec 31/Jan 1.  Not looking good.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Threedrones said:

I guess we should all just lock ourselves away until we die. No thank you. 

Or maybe until we 

1) Get an effective vaccine, or 

2) The virus dies out.

Vacationing in the Dakotas is nice this time of year.  They seem to be doing a great job of not locking themselves away.  Oh, wait, they are dying too.  Is that an oxymoron?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Threedrones said:

Or maybe just go about and safely do your necessaries like work, grocery shopping, etc. and those activities that can be done away from people and avoid the parties and vacations right now until this thing is under control. Just a thought...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Threedrones said:

If we don't "lock ourselves away", for a while to help this virus pass through and until a vaccine is available, we may just do as you say.  Does it take that much for people to wear a mask, social distance, and not associate with those whom you know are having social gatherings outside their bubble over the holidays?  You don't have to thank anyone except yourself for whatever comes your way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Threedrones said:

Quite a difference between locking one away until they die, and following good practices concerning masks and social distancing.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Anyone remember the “Just Say No” campaign from years ago?

Perhaps an appropriate one for this point in time should be “Just Stay Home”.

Unfortunately that will never happen.

"your mask is your friend"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, nocl said:

"your mask is your friend"

I have no problem wearing a mask.

My previous comment was in reference to families wanting to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas together. I don’t believe social distancing will be practiced, mask or not. People relax, get comfortable and let their guards down, then they get infected. We watched it happen to the family next door.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

I have no problem wearing a mask.

My previous comment was in reference to families wanting to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas together. I don’t believe social distancing will be practiced, mask or not. People relax, get comfortable and let their guards down, then they get infected. We watched it happen to the family next door.

Yes true.  Unfortunately a mask will not completely protect you indoors in a small enclosed space like a dining room if somebody is infectious near you.

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2020 at 8:44 AM, steamboats said:

Currently MSC is sailing basically with Italians. There are only some single non Italians onboard. MSC did not accept French, Spanish, Swiss guests anymore for a while. As a German I still could go but as Italy is a high risk area for Germany I have to quarantine after the cruise when I´m back home.

steamboats

The majority are Italians but there are also quite a lot of Spanish with reservations confirmed. We just have the extra cost of a PCR done 72 hours before boarding.

Unfortunately most folks in the U.S. will ignore the stay home guidance.   Within their homes they will not be wearing masks as they eat their dinners or have their drinks or snacks while watching football.   With alcohol common sense, if there initially was any, goes out the window.     We are being told by our next president that a six week lockdown is needed so be prepared to stay home after 1/20/21.   

• Like 1

With all the technology we have like Zoom, Skype and FaceTime and large screens on laptops or Ipads, I'm not sure why people can't just put a computer on the dinner table while other family members are doing the same and have a virtual Thanksgiving. People need to improvise this year to stay safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Unfortunately most folks in the U.S. will ignore the stay home guidance.   Within their homes they will not be wearing masks as they eat their dinners or have their drinks or snacks while watching football.   With alcohol common sense, if there initially was any, goes out the window.     We are being told by our next president that a six week lockdown is needed so be prepared to stay home after 1/20/21.   

Where is that being stated? Please provide a link.

1 hour ago, nocl said:

Unfortunately some surveys are indicating that a sizeable percentage are going on as if COVID does not exist

https://nypost.com/2020/11/16/38-of-americans-planning-thanksgiving-despite-covid-19-survey/

I was referencing their comment about the president elect  recommending a 6 week shutdown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2020 at 4:48 PM, deliver42 said:

The idiots that run Sea Dream thought, and told their passengers that masks weren't necessary. This is the result. How can MSC with a large ship, have no Covid after quite a few cruises, and this Mickey Mouse company with 200 passengers can't get through one cruise?

Ahem.  Disney has done exceptionally well with its reopening. Can we please not insult them by calling an irresponsible small line "Mickey Mouse".

• Haha 1