Its not RCL that scares me, its the airlines...

Since we weren't able to to take our RCL cruise this year for obvious reasons, we decided to try an all inclusive in Cancun earlier this month.  We flew direct from Charlotte to Cancun and stayed at a resort that was like a ghost town.  Maybe counted 15-20 other couples the whole time we we were there.  Got back last Tuesday, nov 10, and have since both tested positive for covid.  I am almost 100% certain we got it on the flight back given the airline, American, packed us in like cattle.  In fact, oversold the flight.  

So the reason for me posting this is im certain the cruise lines will do whatever is necessary to keep us safe, especially since they are under a microscope, but if you have to fly to get to a port, beware.  Airlines are not taking these seriously.  We will absolutely not fly again until this is over.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry you got covid. They have picked and chosen which businesses will stay open and which ones will close according to politicians needs, not ours.

I'm also afraid of flying and only booking drive to port., hope to do alaska again and a ta someday ... but not yet. Not ready to board a plane.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Got back last Tuesday, nov 10, and have since both tested positive for covid.  I am almost 100% certain we got it on the flight back given the airline, American, packed us in like cattle.  In fact, oversold the flight. 

That is not possible. The government, CDC, and every other naysayer out there has made it clear that it is impossible to get covid in airports, transportation to/from airports, or on an airplane.

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

23 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

That is not possible. The government, CDC, and every other naysayer out there has made it clear that it is impossible to get covid in airports, transportation to/from airports, or on an airplane.

That's funny!

33 minutes ago, 20165 said:

We flew direct from Charlotte to Cancun and stayed at a resort that was like a ghost town.  Maybe counted 15-20 other couples the whole time we we were there.  Got back last Tuesday, nov 10, and have since both tested positive for covid.  I am almost 100% certain we got it on the flight back given the airline, American, packed us in like cattle.  In fact, oversold the flight.  

So sorry to hear both of you have covid.   If you are experiencing any illness, hopefully you will recover soon.      And I hope you truly enjoyed your time in Cancun.    I would love to go somewhere warm and tropical but not ready to get on an airplane either.     

These airlines should be practicing "social distancing" just like all the businesses on land.    such as go back to no passenger in the middle seat - something to help stop the spread. 

45 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

It boggles the mind how these politicians have decided what is and what is not covid safe.   It is ridiculous to say that packing people into an airtight tube is safe, but sailing on an open air ship is life threatening!!!

What’s it matter if you are responsible for yourself?  We will not travel on an airline. Why even consider this?

M8

• Like 2

I don't know...the "Walmartians" at Walmart are pretty scary too.  

Walk in with mask (if at all) but take it off in the store.  Some coughing and sneezing at the same time...yikes.  Noticed it more in the Panhandle of Florida than central or south part.  Not sure why.  

• Haha 1

Cleared my cruise calendar through May of 2021months ago since I have to fly to cruise. 

Hoping Canada keeps it's ports closed so Alaska doesn't happen in 2021.  Really need these cancelled so I can get refunds, I don't want more FCC.   I do not want to visit Alaska on a bubble cruise where I can't get off and self explore.  If these cancel I won't have to fly until the fall of 2021 for Odyssey and were it not NRD I'd cancel that too.  

For me, since I have to fly and stay in a hotel, 2022 will be my cruise restart year leaving it for those who can drive to cruise in 2021. 

Really hoping 2023 is a nearly normal cruise year.  

• Like 1

Sorry, no.  The airlines are 100% following the infallible guidelines by the unapproachable CDC.  My guess is one time, you washed you hands for only 18 seconds or possibly inhaled in a place other than a empty field at noon.

Either way, you irresponsible desire for an unnecessary vacation has put your entire state at risk.  I wish you well in your 3 month quarantine, for safety of course.

-----

Back to seriousness....it's is unlikely you were exposed on the aircraft.  The car, check-in, terminal, bag claim are all more likely candidates.  Cabin air is a lot fresher than any other indoor space.  I flew week before last and with the vent pointed down on me, I felt more comfortable onboard than anywhere else because the face covering continuously vented.

As for cruising...I will remind everyone again, no one should expect a virus free cruise, regardless of the protocols.  If you have any concern for the virus, cruising isn't for you right now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Delta says it will block middle seats through March 31, everyone else will sell as many seats as possible starting in January or sooner. United added 1400 flights to it's schedule next week for Thanksgiving, (they said demand warranted it)  this is going to get really awful until we can get vaccines into peoples arms.

And CDC says stay at home next week for Thanksgiving.

We flew to Florida last month for a land vacation.  Three hour flight both ways.  Everyone wearing masks in airports and planes (it's mandatory).  Planes were thoroughly sanitised before and after flights (was explained the process by flight crew).  Air filtration systems replace onboard air every 2-3 minutes.  I wouldn't hesitate to fly again.  And I haven't heard of any Covid outbreaks resulting from flights.  And no, I don't work for the airlines or have any vested interest other than expressing my experience and opinion.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

Cleared my cruise calendar through May of 2021months ago since I have to fly to cruise. 

Yeah man!

We’ve got two X cruises and on AZ still booked for 2021. All are twelve nights or more.

I expect that they’ll all be cancelled, and so I’m researching alternatives right now.

I’m hoping that 2022 with be our “return to cruising” year, time will tell.

Cheers,

Doc Ruth

• Like 1

Just now, voyager70 said:

I haven't heard of any Covid outbreaks resulting from flights.

Everyone blames spread on anything but the flight.  Flights are short so they can get away with that.  "You could have got it in the taxi to the airport, or at security in the airport, or at baggage claim" etc."  

At the end of the day it doesn't matter.  To fly you have to get to the airport.  To fly you have to go through security.  If it's the flight or the Uber to the airport is irrelevant.   Plus I don't believe the hogwash the airlines are trying to sell.  

3 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

this is going to get really awful until we can get vaccines into peoples arms.

With so many Americans leery of vaccines or being anti-vaxxers it's going to take a lot longer than most people are hoping.  

• Like 1

On a plane you rub elbows with your seatmate.  On a plane your mouth is 18" from your seatmates mouth (based on the standard seat pitch of a 737).

Unless you are blasting air through the cabin so your hair is blowing in the breeze turning the air over every 2-3 minutes does not help you if your seatmate who you are rubbing arms with is positive, mask or no mask.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, island lady said:

I don't know...the "Walmartians" at Walmart are pretty scary too.  

Walk in with mask (if at all) but take it off in the store.  Some coughing and sneezing at the same time...yikes.  Noticed it more in the Panhandle of Florida than central or south part.  Not sure why.  

I haven’t been in a Walmart since 2015 and that was only to buy my grandson a particular gift they had in stock. 

M8

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, twangster said:

On a plane you rub elbows with your seatmate.  On a plane your mouth is 18" from your seatmates mouth (based on the standard seat pitch of a 737).

Unless you are blasting air through the cabin so your hair is blowing in the breeze turning the air over every 2-3 minutes does not help you if your seatmate who you are rubbing arms with is positive, mask or no mask.  

Amen.  My wife was shoulder to shoulder with the person beside her, i was on the isle with everyone brushing up against me when they were either getting the plane or going to the bathroom during the flight.  Could we have gotten it somewhere else, sure, but that flight was the only place we did not feel safe and at risk.

15 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

Delta says it will block middle seats through March 31, everyone else will sell as many seats as possible starting in January or sooner.

Yes, Delta is blocking middle seats through March.  At least they are trying to be responsible while Jet Blue and the others will be packing them in like sardines.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I haven’t been in a Walmart since 2015 and that was only to buy my grandson a particular gift they had in stock. 

M8

I go to Walmart to check out the latest fashion trends.  Who knew that pajamas were so popular to be worn in the middle of the day?

Dan

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, paulh84 said:

Curious -- what resort? From what I have seen, the Riviera Maya area resorts are at their max allowed capacity and have very little in place for effective covid prevention. Definitely would not visit one currently. 

Haven.  Its in-between the cancun hotel strip and Riviera maya.  and i guarantee you there were not even close to their max capacity which i heard was 50% during covid.  Maybe 25% but i think even that would have been a stretch.  there were times we were the only ones in the pools and they were massive.  My wife and i commented several time on how could they possibly be making any money with that few people. 

2 hours ago, 20165 said:

Since we weren't able to to take our RCL cruise this year for obvious reasons, we decided to try an all inclusive in Cancun earlier this month.  We flew direct from Charlotte to Cancun and stayed at a resort that was like a ghost town.  Maybe counted 15-20 other couples the whole time we we were there.  Got back last Tuesday, nov 10, and have since both tested positive for covid.  I am almost 100% certain we got it on the flight back given the airline, American, packed us in like cattle.  In fact, oversold the flight.  

So the reason for me posting this is im certain the cruise lines will do whatever is necessary to keep us safe, especially since they are under a microscope, but if you have to fly to get to a port, beware.  Airlines are not taking these seriously.  We will absolutely not fly again until this is over.

We have not flown in 10 years.If you can drive and you are healthy there is nothing better that a long distance drive,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Hoping Canada keeps it's ports closed so Alaska doesn't happen in 2021.  Really need these cancelled so I can get refunds, I don't want more FCC. 

I, on the other hand, had my August 2020 Alaska cruise (bucket list cruise) cancelled obviously and was on a FCC because of a cancelled Harmony cruise because of hurricane Dorian.  I will not get a refund if Alaska 2021 is cancelled.  It will be another FCC.  If my September 2021 cruise is cancelled, Im pretty sure Im done.   It will have been 4 years then since my last cruise.  If I can go 5 without a cruise, I think I can go forever.  They will have gotten 1800.00 out of me though.  At least my Air2Sea flights are refundable.