New vaccine

hollyjess

58 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As far as I can make out, they’ve set up testing centres run by the military in Chattenden,Rochester and in Rainham, down at the Oasthouse Theatre. People from areas with high incidence are being invited for tests..... but it’s not clear how they are selected, or even how they are invited. 

I’m half expecting the army to knock on my door and haul me in for testing!😱

My LA has advised today that a lateral flow test centre will be operational,from Wednesday in addition to the 7 testing stations set up already. 

Lateral flow tests will be used only for people with no symptoms, test will be via invitation only to people working in key jobs, people potentially involved with an outbreak or areas of high infection. 

The test involves a self administered swab, the result of which is available in 30 mins, similar to a pregnancy test say the council. Anyone with a positive result will need to go for a PCR test at one of the other locations. The council insist this is not mass testing, but a process to try and identify asymptomatic people.

Looking at the pictures provided the site could be switched to a vaccination centre almost overnight. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

My flu jab took about 60 seconds, after being asked if I was allergic to eggs.  Once I told them I was on no medication, in went the needle and out I went.  That was at Boots.

Just heard on our local news that over 80s will be first with care workers.  Those in Care homes are different, because presumably they can't travel to the hub.  I also heard they are considering using vets to do some vaccinations.  no reason why not, my dog doesn't even flinch when the needle goes in1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Initially decide whether you think a virus is actually a living organism as even a lot of eminent experts cannot agree.

I did not know there are now thoughts that a virion could be a living organism, but it was 1990 when I graduated and then worked in biochemistry rather than the virology side of it. Med micro was not a unit I did at all either.  Easy to forget just how quickly ideas move forward.

• Like 1

Just now, tring said:

I did not know there are now thoughts that a virion could be a living organism, but it was 1990 when I graduated and then worked in biochemistry rather than the virology side of it. Med micro was not a unit I did at all either.  Easy to forget just how quickly ideas move forward.

It makes a refreshing change to read what proper experts are saying, rather that the improper ones. Slightly disconcerting that those opinions aren't necessarily in agreement. That brings me back to my original criteria. Sharp needles, eyes closed and leave it to the experts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

It makes a refreshing change to read what proper experts are saying, rather that the improper ones. Slightly disconcerting that those opinions aren't necessarily in agreement. That brings me back to my original criteria. Sharp needles, eyes closed and leave it to the experts.

Problem is experts don't always agree, plus it is always difficult to predict the future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As far as I can make out, they’ve set up testing centres run by the military in Chattenden,Rochester and in Rainham, down at the Oasthouse Theatre. People from areas with high incidence are being invited for tests..... but it’s not clear how they are selected, or even how they are invited. 

I’m half expecting the army to knock on my door and haul me in for testing!😱

Over in Liverpool they were just asking people to turn up at the temporary test centres, rather than issuing personal invites.  It was reported queues built up at first, but sorted when they opened more centres.  I do think all the publicity was a bit OTT as the numbers were going down before testing started but praise for Liverpool cannot be scoffed at compared to other times.  We were dragged into the tier 3 though our rates were far lower (about a third of Liverpool rates) and we are more linked to Cheshire as the river acts a a bit of a barrier really and we are personally within walking distance of South Wirral which is part of West Cheshire.  We never resented the tier 3 though and good to know our local hospital has gained from it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My figure is 727 too. We all must be neighbours. 

Yes, I guess you used the postcode checker here

Daily summary | Coronavirus in the UK (data.gov.uk)

The figures for the whole of Medway were released this evening and are lower but the postcode check drills right down to your local area within the authority.

I am a bit worried that Medway NHS Foundation Trust is not on the list of vaccination hubs and no mention on the local news of the jabs commencing tomorrow.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Problem is experts don't always agree, plus it is always difficult to predict the future. 

I have sat on expert panels in another field. I rely on the experts to do what is right. I am sure that nothing will be done that hasn't been fully evaluated and deemed safe. On this matter , I am happy to accept that they know better than me. Most folk do.

19 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The figures for the whole of Medway were released this evening and are lower but the postcode check drills right down to your local area within the authority.

I am a bit worried that Medway NHS Foundation Trust is not on the list of vaccination hubs and no mention on the local news of the jabs commencing tomorrow.

Thanks for that link which will send me to sleep happy.  Positive tests in our area is 0 to 2 in the 7 days to 2nd December and the R number for the North West is 0.7 to 0.9. 🙂

Edited by tring

58 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Yes, I thought that was odd too, as Medway is currently the number one Covid hotspot 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Yes, I thought that was odd too, as Medway is currently the number one Covid hotspot 

It was reported they are using the hospitals with facilities for storage etc., which I am thinking are probably the bigger ones.  Current rates not really relevant as they will change with time.  If your area has a lot of cases it may also be more likely they would not be used just yet, since they would want to leave all available space to be available for treatment.  

An article in the Guardian this morning reports on trials due to start on combining 2 different vaccines, 1 in each of the two doses. Apparently this is called heterologous boost and due to start in January. The Oxford vaccine is very good at cellular response, getting your body to kill infected cells and the mRNA types are very good at stimulating antibody response so combine them together for the best of both worlds. 🤞

• Like 1

The first person to get the vaccine, a 90 year old sprightly looking lady in hospital in Coventry (I think).  Just on BBC breakfast.  

Hopefully the first of all those who need it and will get it,   and excellent news.  Still a fair way to go, but it feels like the first sign of spring!

• Like 10

1 minute ago, lincslady said:

The first person to get the vaccine, a 90 year old sprightly looking lady in hospital in Coventry (I think).  Just on BBC breakfast.  

Hopefully the first of all those who need it and will get it,   and excellent news.  Still a fair way to go, but it feels like the first sign of spring!

And the second was a man from Warwickshire called William Shakespeare.

Tis a good morning and the start of the long road out of this awful time.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

Yes it is good they are the first in U.K. to receive a vaccine, but without the thousands of brave unnamed souls that went before them, neither of these individuals would have received the vaccine. 

Let’s hope this starts to turn the tide in coming months.

• Like 10

Off to get a flu jab from Boots this afternoon.  Which thanks to recent changes will now be free for me.  Going to go into town afterwards and spend the £18 in Wetherspoons.  Which will be the first time we have been in Sarfend's Wetherspoons this year!

Dear old Mum should be getting her Covid Vaccine in the next couple weeks, she's 92 and in a care home.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Yes it is good they are the first in U.K. to receive a vaccine, but without the thousands of brave unnamed souls that went before them, neither of these individuals would have received the vaccine. 

Let’s hope this starts to turn the tide in coming months.

Thank you Josy and Pete for taking part in the trials 🙂 

• Like 12

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

She has had her tracking device installed! 😮 Only joking. 🤣

3 hours ago, Angel57 said:

When he was having his injection he apparently said to the nurse is this a needle I see before me. 🤣

• Haha 1