New vaccine

hollyjess

57 minutes ago, kalos said:

Must be a nightmare for the compromised immune sufferers Harry and my heart goes out to

them who are stuck with this problem for the foreseeable future  . Just my opinion but they 

are the reason for us all to get fully vaccinated which also helps those people avoid being

struck down with the disease. I'm not saying this will be a cure all but going on recent figures 

it seems a logical thing to do , not to just lower our risk but for everyone who cannot have the

vaccine or it simply does not give them any resistance then we should help them by having 

our vaccine jabs . 

Speaking as one of them, I can only agree, Kalos!  Thank you!

It's somewhere between 1% and 3 % of the population.  Small percentage, and if the report's to be believed the government's given up on us, but that's still 600,000 - 1.8m people. 

• Like 5

On 4/17/2021 at 1:20 PM, Harry Peterson said:

Hmmmm.....where to get accurate information from?  

Expert virologists, epidemiologists and immulogists working in or in conjunction with well respected universities (but rubbished by a few vocal  posters here)?

Or a handful of armchair experts here who think they know better?

Some expert Virologists that is. The ones the Govt listen too, others say different.

like the one who said right back in March 2020 that 70% of the UK population would have natural immunity anyway thru being exposed to other Virus’s and only about 30% would even catch it.

I wonder if the numbers infected stack up to this, or SAGE guys who said we need to scare the Hell out of the population to ensure compliance so lay it on thick with the outlook.

Anyway emergency laws are in place till October, they can lock us back down any time they like.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:17 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

I was talking globally, not locally.

Some countries may be doing ok at the moment, but that’s clearly not the situation for every country. There’s still a long way to go yet.

Pandemics end eventually, we know that from history, 

Those expecting it to end soon, may end up being disappointed. 

Agree .. and whilst we are doing exceptionally well here in the UK globally cases and deaths are still rising.  If we don’t remain vigilant to arrivals from other countries we will soon be up against new variants that possibly will not respond to our vaccines.  Last Friday India went on the red list with arrivals having to go into hotel quarantine but with the surge of passengers wanting to travel here airlines put on an extra 8 flights in the preceding week.  Those passengers would have gone home to quarantine mixing with family members who would have still gone to work and school.  Just a recipe for a new wave of cases.  Hard to believe it’s been allowed to happen.  
At least we can assume that P&O will have acted responsibly and tested and quarantined crew arriving to join ships for the summer seacation cruises.  However if this new variant does prove not to respond to present vaccines it could pose a serious threat to the start up of cruises.  

I notice more calls for stopping any form of social distancing and mask wearing this summer, OK, the vaccination program is going well and we might eventually reach herd immunity through a combination of vaccine and infection. That is up to 70% of the population, say 50 million people. That might work if the nation lives in its own 'bubble' but it does not with many thousands entering and leaving the country weekly. Cases of the Indian variant are already occurring here. Maybe we need to plan a return to earlier times when most people holidayed in the UK, at least for a year or two.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

I notice more calls for stopping any form of social distancing and mask wearing this summer, OK, the vaccination program is going well and we might eventually reach herd immunity through a combination of vaccine and infection. That is up to 70% of the population, say 50 million people. That might work if the nation lives in its own 'bubble' but it does not with many thousands entering and leaving the country weekly. Cases of the Indian variant are already occurring here. Maybe we need to plan a return to earlier times when most people holidayed in the UK, at least for a year or two.

I also read about the calls for abandoning face masks and social distancing this summer with absolute horror......  We are doing so well and starting to feel a little safer so why do we want to jeopardise that.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Angel57 said:

I also read about the calls for abandoning face masks and social distancing this summer with absolute horror......  We are doing so well and starting to feel a little safer so why do we want to jeopardise that.

By mid summer virtually all the over 30s will have been vaccinated. If we can't open up everywhere by then, when will we?

Let's get the theatres, cinemas, musical events up and running by the end of July. Thousands of people in those industries will basically not have been able to work since March last year. We need to get back to normal and get back to living !  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

By mid summer virtually all the over 30s will have been vaccinated. If we can't open up everywhere by then, when will we?

Let's get the theatres, cinemas, musical events up and running by the end of July. Thousands of people in those industries will basically not have been able to work since March last year. We need to get back to normal and get back to living !  

I totally agree with opening up everything by the summer but am just not sure about completely abandoning all social distancing etc. Time will tell.....

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Trouble is when do we stop wearing masks and not social distancing. By late summer hopefully everyone will be vaccinated and life has to get back to normal and then if we do catch Covid because we have all been vaccinated it will be like catching flew and we have never wore masks or social distanced about catching flu.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Trouble is when do we stop wearing masks and not social distancing. By late summer hopefully everyone will be vaccinated and life has to get back to normal and then if we do catch Covid because we have all been vaccinated it will be like catching flew and we have never wore masks or social distanced about catching flu.

If we have any common sense when the emergency is over, unless we isolate the country from the rest of the world in which case in our little 'bubble' we can relax. Of course we won't be able to go abroad unless we are wealthy!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

If we have any common sense when the emergency is over, unless we isolate the country from the rest of the world in which case in our little 'bubble' we can relax. Of course we won't be able to go abroad unless we are wealthy!

Wealth will have nothing to do with international travel, the government will allow or not allow visits to certain countries due to Covid risk and then it is down to the individual whether they travel to other countries and the risk they take the same as it has been for many years with certain diseases around the world which we have to vaccinate against before travel. Dont see at all what wealth has to do with it. You are obviously from your many posts are a half glass empty person I am more of a half glass full and have to have optimism and hope for the future instead of doom and gloom.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, majortom10 said:

we have never wore masks or social distanced about catching flu.

Sorry but that is incorrect and goes how things are forgotten or overlooked. Take a look back to the Spanish Flu Pandemic and you will see the wearing of masks and a form of social distancing did take place.

The Spanish flu is also an excellent example of how viruses mutate and how the body's immune system evolves and adapts.

4 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Sorry but that is incorrect and goes how things are forgotten or overlooked. Take a look back to the Spanish Flu Pandemic and you will see the wearing of masks and a form of social distancing did take place.

The Spanish flu is also an excellent example of how viruses mutate and how the body's immune system evolves and adapts.

Spanish Flu was over 100 years ago so I think you are being pedantic as I dont think there are many that can actuallly remember wearing face masks only know through Google. I was referring to the current stopping of wearing face masks due to Covid and comparing to recent times where as many people in the UK have died from flu without the need of compulsory face masks. Hopefully Covid will be the same and as we are never going to get rid of it completely we will have to live with it and go back to normal times and not wear face masks for ever.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Spanish Flu was over 100 years ago so I think you are being pedantic as I dont think there are many that can actuallly remember wearing face masks only know through Google. I was referring to the current stopping of wearing face masks due to Covid and comparing to recent times where as many people in the UK have died from flu without the need of compulsory face masks. Hopefully Covid will be the same and as we are never going to get rid of it completely we will have to live with it and go back to normal times and not wear face masks for ever.

But your argument is the very point.

It would be correct to compare the end of one pandemic, albeit one hundred years ago to the "end" of this pandemic. If you want to compare how we deal with flu now to how we deal with Covid you need to look one hundred years into the future.

Compare apples with apples and not apples with pears.

Also did you not learn about the Spanish flu at school?

Edited by MX-Drew

Have to say, I was looking forward to late June when all restrictions are lifted and it would not be my intention to wear a mask after that.  Obviously they may change the rules by then.

Edited by jeanlyon

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

According to this https://www.health.org.uk/publications/long-reads/one-year-on-three-myths-about-COVID-19-that-the-data-proved-wrong around 30000 people die of Flu and pneumonia in a bad year. When you consider that thirteen months into the pandemic, with all the lockdown, social distancing and mask wearing, at least 127000 have died in the U.K from Covid it seems clear that Covid is far more deadly than flu when a comparison is made.

We are going to have to ‘learn to live with it’, but as I’ve said previously on this forum, that probably doesn’t mean that we go back to how it was in December 2019. The pre Covid era has gone, and it’s not coming back. We will need to face up to that, and normal will probably be a bit different. For example, it may become customary to wear masks in winter, or when infection rates are on the rise.

History teaches us that major global events force change in society, so I doubt if Covid will be any different. Plenty of reading about this on line if you want to know more.

They say that the surge in India is partly due to people thinking the pandemic was over and abandoning masks and social distancing. Therefore I think we should be cautious about throwing off our masks and see how things progress when we are fully open in June. Fortunately, we have the vaccine, but even so, I personally would prefer a cautious approach going forward. The last thing we want to do is throw away everything we have achieved. 

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

According to this https://www.health.org.uk/publications/long-reads/one-year-on-three-myths-about-COVID-19-that-the-data-proved-wrong around 30000 people die of Flu and pneumonia in a bad year. When you consider that thirteen months into the pandemic, with all the lockdown, social distancing and mask wearing, at least 127000 have died in the U.K from Covid it seems clear that Covid is far more deadly than flu when a comparison is made.

We are going to have to ‘learn to live with it’, but as I’ve said previously on this forum, that probably doesn’t mean that we go back to how it was in December 2019. The pre Covid era has gone, and it’s not coming back. We will need to face up to that, and normal will probably be a bit different. For example, it may become customary to wear masks in winter, or when infection rates are on the rise.

History teaches us that major global events force change in society, so I doubt if Covid will be any different. Plenty of reading about this on line if you want to know more.

They say that the surge in India is partly due to people thinking the pandemic was over and abandoning masks and social distancing. Therefore I think we should be cautious about throwing off our masks and see how things progress when we are fully open in June. Fortunately, we have the vaccine, but even so, I personally would prefer a cautious approach going forward. The last thing we want to do is throw away everything we have achieved. 

Well said.

I absolutely agree.

Graham.

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Whilst I agree with everything you say experts expectations once everyone, or everyone that can or want to be vaccinated, that deaths from Covid wil be no higher than the current deaths annually from flu. The initial 127,000 deaths are due to being a new virus that nobody knew anything about or how to treat and has been proved in UK by the administration of the vaccine deaths have dropped dramatically likewise with flu which is why older generations have flu vaccinations every year.

• Like 3

Remember the 20000 flu deaths were when the most vunerable have been vaccinated for the last 20 years,  and many of the rest have some immunity after years of flu. Next year everyone will be vaccinated against  covid.

We can only hope this is the future for  Coronavirus.  Unless there is a nightmare mutation ( who knows and only the most pessimistic scientist would life life according to the nightmare worst case), then Coronavirus deaths will decrease dramically compared to the last 12 months and be below those of many cancers, diabetes and other diseases. We will have to stop treating covid as a priority 

Life is for living, yes we must take some precautions,  better hygiene and especially better ventilation,  but we can't  keep away from everyone indefinitely.  I agree after June just because we can do something we don't have to.  But 99% of normal life can go on. 

I do wonder if mass gatherings,  especially indoors  should watched. Places like night clubs with a 1000 people shoulder to shoulder inside will need drastically improved ventilation. 

More good news this morning on the Vaccine and it’s effect on reducing transmission of virus.

“A single dose of a Covid-19 vaccine can slash transmission of the virus by up to half, according to a Public Health England study.

The PHE finding offers further hope that the pandemic can be brought under control as it indicates that vaccinated people are far less likely to pass the virus on to others”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/28/single-dose-of-covid-vaccine-can-nearly-halve-transmission-of-virus-study-finds?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 8