New vaccine

hollyjess

43 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

When I went to do my vaccination stewarding shift this morning there was only one other steward there because it was at a doctor's surgery rather than a vaccination hub.  We were introduced to each other.  The other lady had a very unusual Christian name that I have only heard once befor, on a girl I went to school with.  It turned out that it was the same person, it was really strange meeting someone for the first time after 52 years, she left school to be a police cadet and I went on to 6th form and uni.

Amazing coincidence Josy and how lovely for you both to meet up after so many years. Jane.x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Amazing coincidence Josy and how lovely for you both to meet up after so many years. Jane.x

What was really strange when we were talking was that we are both in contact with 2 other ladies without knowing that the other ladies know both of us. She worked with of one of my bowling friends and I worked with her sister-in-law.  It really is a small world in Stoke on Trent.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

What was really strange when we were talking was that we are both in contact with 2 other ladies without knowing that the other ladies know both of us. She worked with of one of my bowling friends and I worked with her sister-in-law.  It really is a small world in Stoke on Trent.

Curiouser and curiouser Josy. This was meant to be! Jane.x

• Like 1

Was in my TA a few years ago booking a cruise. Next to me was a couple booking a cruise as well. The TA asked his name, it was exactly the same as mine which is not a common name in the South East. We were not related. Age was the same as well.

On a cruise a few years ago I was talking to a woman and she lived in the street next to mine.

A lot of years ago someone at work took one of those month long Greyhound tours of the USA. He was sitting in the Greyhound terminal in Los Angeles, looked round..... and there was someone from the office 2 doors down the corridor  doing the same tour in the opposite direction.

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Was in my TA a few years ago booking a cruise. Next to me was a couple booking a cruise as well. The TA asked his name, it was exactly the same as mine which is not a common name in the South East. We were not related. Age was the same as well.

On a cruise a few years ago I was talking to a woman and she lived in the street next to mine.

A lot of years ago someone at work took one of those month long Greyhound tours of the USA. He was sitting in the Greyhound terminal in Los Angeles, looked round..... and there was someone from the office 2 doors down the corridor  doing the same tour in the opposite direction.

On Sea Princess in Montego Bay I got in a lift and the manager of a builders merchant I used was standing there with his Mrs.She didn't look amused so I said don't worry I'm not gonna talk to him again.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

The strangest thing that happened to me was a few months after we had been on a cruise to Alaska.  I was sent to South Carolina to look at what computer systems we would need to install in a new factory that we were building, on the first day I had a meeting with the building project manager and saw a photograph of my husband on his desk so naturally I asked why he had a photo of David and he said it was a picture of his wife.  David and the man's wife had been standing next to each other on the deck with the glaciers behind them.  I must have been next to the man because I had taken the same photo when I got home and checked.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

The Johnson & Johnson Vaccine rollout has been temporarily halted in the US, South Africa & the EU after reports of rare blood clots, 6 cases so far.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56733715

It really beggars belief! Far more people will die of CV19 if the roll out is delayed, compared to the  number who might develop blood clots. You are more likely to die driving to the vaccine centre  than suffer a lethal clot.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

It really beggars belief! Far more people will die of CV19 if the roll out is delayed, compared to the  number who might develop blood clots. You are more likely to die driving to the vaccine centre  than suffer a lethal clot.

Nor approved in the U.K. as yet, the EU only started using it Monday, only been up in use in US since end of February so early days for this vaccine. No doubt the risk of being sued if more cases arose played a part in the decision and they have enough problems with anti vaxxers so I can see why it was halted. 

Interesting little snippet I found on the daily BBC rolling Covid story regarding Wales offering the vaccine to people living with adults with weakened immune systems.

"Evidence is growing that vaccinated people are less likely to pass the virus on to others."

I have not seen this statement used very much, as it is what we are all hoping for with these vaccines.  No doubt more data and academic studies needed to verify and confirm.

Edited by jaydee6969
typo
  • Like 2

Things are really slowing down vaccine-wise in my area. We've been in touch (a few times) with all our patients who have declined, or not bothered to reply to their invites, and we are getting a varied but negative response from many. The blood clot issue has put the fear of God into some and others have decided to take their chances with herd immunity.

Last night, we sent out invites to all our age 45-49 patients so it will be interesting to see what the reponse has been overnight. I am expecting a more favourable uptake in this group - a lot of people want a holiday and will see the vaccine as step one of "passport to freedom". I'll let you know.

Have a good day everyone. Jane.x

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Interesting little snippet I found on the daily BBC rolling Covid story regarding Wales offering the vaccine to people living with adults with weakened immune systems.

"Evidence is growing that vaccinated people are less likely to pass the virus on to others."

I have not seen this statement used very much, as it is what we are all hoping for with these vaccines.  No doubt more data and academic studies needed to verify and confirm.

This is a critically important issue, not just for the protection of the wider public by reducing the spread of the virus, but also, as you say, for those with weakened immune systems.

As one of those, knowing that my own vaccination may have little effect, my wife’s vaccination becomes even more important if, from a purely selfish standpoint, we’re to keep our house virus free.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

This is a critically important issue, not just for the protection of the wider public by reducing the spread of the virus, but also, as you say, for those with weakened immune systems.

As one of those, knowing that my own vaccination may have little effect, my wife’s vaccination becomes even more important if, from a purely selfish standpoint, we’re to keep our house virus free.

Being a twin I am taking part in a study to see if people have antibodies (blood test)I have a weakened immune system so it will be reassuring if I find out that I have antibodies but may be a worry if I haven't!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Again we agree. We really must stop doing this wowzz, people will begin to talk😁

Avril

• Haha 1

I took my wife in for her 2nd vaccine yesterday morning of the Pfizer variety.  

So far she has had a slight headache yesterday, but that could have just been anticipation stress, and a painful arm overnight and this morning.  Much less side effects than the first dose where she ended up going to bed and felt unwell for a couple of days.  This has been a similar pattern to her co-workers all who had the Pfizer jab.

So much better this time, she went off down where she works and volunteers first thing this morning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Things are really slowing down vaccine-wise in my area. We've been in touch (a few times) with all our patients who have declined, or not bothered to reply to their invites, and we are getting a varied but negative response from many. The blood clot issue has put the fear of God into some and others have decided to take their chances with herd immunity.

Last night, we sent out invites to all our age 45-49 patients so it will be interesting to see what the reponse has been overnight. I am expecting a more favourable uptake in this group - a lot of people want a holiday and will see the vaccine as step one of "passport to freedom". I'll let you know.

Have a good day everyone. Jane.x

The clinics are all fully booked until next Sunday 18th so a brilliant uptake from the 45-49s.  Jane.x

• Like 8

Not sure what prompted this at our doctor’s surgery. My 2nd jab was due this coming Saturday but early last week I, along with many others, were invited to pick a slot on Saturday just gone which I did. On Sunday my daughter and son-in-law got a phone call from the surgery at 3.15 saying if they could get there before 4pm they could both have their 2nd. We are all Phizer but my husband had AZ. He hasn’t been called. Presuming either some people didn’t turn up or cancelled and they were left with a surplus W that needed using. Or they just received too much. 

25 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Not sure what prompted this at our doctor’s surgery. My 2nd jab was due this coming Saturday but early last week I, along with many others, were invited to pick a slot on Saturday just gone which I did. On Sunday my daughter and son-in-law got a phone call from the surgery at 3.15 saying if they could get there before 4pm they could both have their 2nd. We are all Phizer but my husband had AZ. He hasn’t been called. Presuming either some people didn’t turn up or cancelled and they were left with a surplus W that needed using. Or they just received too much. 

Hi Jennizor.  So glad you've all been vaccinated.  From my experience the fact that you were called early suggests an extra delivery.  The fact that your daughter and SIL were called with only short notice suggests they had, or were expecting, a surplus at the end of the day, so rather than have any waste they were calling in people who lived nearby.  If your husband had AZ, the very earliest he can receive his second dose is 8 weeks. I hope none of you had any side effects.  Best wishes.  Jane.x

• Like 1

I believe from speaking to my sister who is an office manager at her local surgery is that when they have spare capacity from people not turning up for their jabs they have a reserve list who they contact. She has said that in some cases people can be asked to be put on the reserve list. This is surgery dependant. 

I do believe there should be some sort of heavy fine for those who make an appointment and fail to turn up with out good reason. The vaccine is too important for doses to be thrown away and not used.

The news outlets do not help with their fear of god headlines of clots yet fail to inform people the chances are very very small. You have more chance of having a car crash on way to get your Jab.

Again though its personal choice as not mandated, but please i wish people would just not waste vaccine.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ann141 said:

Being a twin I am taking part in a study to see if people have antibodies (blood test)I have a weakened immune system so it will be reassuring if I find out that I have antibodies but may be a worry if I haven't!

That’s interesting, Ann.  I hope it goes the right way for you.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Beckett said:

The clinics are all fully booked until next Sunday 18th so a brilliant uptake from the 45-49s.  Jane.x

My son is 30 and has asthma and can’t wait for the jab! He phoned his GP but was told he wasn’t considered a higher risk as he’s ‘never been hospitalised’. However it was worth phoning as they had a completely wrong phone number for him! I encouraged him to phone as in the past they’ve phoned us and John had unplugged our landline for a week while decorating.