New vaccine

hollyjess

4 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I can understand your frustration, it does seem strange that there is such a difference, you would think with the current shortage of vaccine they would make sure the hubs/surgeries, etc that were behind got what was available so they could catch up

I honestly thought that was why vaccines were beihg held back, so they could be diverted to areas that were behind. Obviously not. I'm such a naive fool😏

Avril

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

UPDATE

Well our excellent GP surgery has delivered. My wife and I both had texts this morning from our surgery inviting us to book our jabs. We both clicked the link at exactly the same time in the hope that we could get the same date and time and my wife was able to book tomorrow morning but the earliest I could get was Friday 26th. I assumed that this was because my wife has MS and I am her carer, so would understandably have to wait a bit longer, but my wife called them and explained that I would be wheeling her in for her jab tomorrow, so they very kindly changed my appointment to 10 minutes after hers. 

What a relief. It’s been a frustrating few days trying (without success) to book online, having been told that we should be able to do so. My thoughts are with the other group 6 people, and their Carers, who are still trying to book. It seems as though it’s a bit of a lottery depending on how efficient your GP practice is (given that booking online isn’t available). Fingers crossed for all of you that you get some good news very soon. 

Excellent news.

I think some areas are further down the road in vaccinating the over 70s than others and thus online booking is open, others not so means online booking not open even though indications are that they should be.

Also I spotted online yesterday that a writer had had a vaccine invite even though he was only 40, he investigated and found that his height had been written as 1.2 cm instead of 1.2m and he had got the invite as he was morbidly obese. Shows the booking system may not have the correct information given to it. 

1 hour ago, delgirl said:

thats brilliant news selbourne you must be so relieved. My daughters husband rang gp this morning when I spoke to her about 3 hrs ago he was still waiting for a call back.

Thanks delgirl. I’m keeping everything crossed for your daughter. 

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I honestly thought that was why vaccines were beihg held back, so they could be diverted to areas that were behind. Obviously not. I'm such a naive fool😏

Avril

A friend of Pauline rang to say her daughter 58 got an invitation letter for vaccine from her doctor yesterday.

She has no health issues and never been to her doctors for years.

22 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Wife's friend, same age, no underlying health conditions, lives 10 miles away, just had text and gets jab tomorrow at GP's. Don't anyone try to tell me there isn't distribution anomalies and a postcost lottery. Our GP hasn't had any for over a week.

I know exactly how you are feeling. It’s infuriating. Our text today came as a bolt out of the blue. Hoping that tomorrow brings good news for you 🤞

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Excellent news.

I think some areas are further down the road in vaccinating the over 70s than others and thus online booking is open, others not so means online booking not open even though indications are that they should be.

Also I spotted online yesterday that a writer had had a vaccine invite even though he was only 40, he investigated and found that his height had been written as 1.2 cm instead of 1.2m and he had got the invite as he was morbidly obese. Shows the booking system may not have the correct information given to it. 

Thanks Snow Hill. From what I can work out (and the experience of many on here supports this), there seems to have been a central decision made that those in group 6 have to wait for a direct contact from their GP surgery and cannot book online at all. That’s all well and good if your area is ahead of the game (as our area is), and you have an excellent GP practice (as we do) but it seems very wrong to me that group 6 people are not even given the option to book online whilst others, in lower groups and therefore at lower risk, are able to. So many in group 6 have very serious health conditions and it’s very frustrating to hear of so many healthy and younger people getting called up in their droves whilst you are waiting for news and incapable of doing anything about it. We are now sorted, but others aren’t. 

• Like 5

I said earlier that I didn't expect to hear anything for a while as I'm in group 7. At lunchtime I had a phone call from my GP's surgery asking it I would like to book an appointment for my vaccination.

So I'm all booked in at my local surgery, a 10 minute walk, for 10.30 am on Saturday morning.

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I said earlier that I didn't expect to hear anything for a while as I'm in group 7. At lunchtime I had a phone call from my GP's surgery asking it I would like to book an appointment for my vaccination.

So I'm all booked in at my local surgery, a 10 minute walk, for 10.30 am on Saturday morning.

Wonderful news.

Keeping my mobile with me at all times as don’t want to miss the summons!. 🤞🏻

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Wonderful news.

Keeping my mobile with me at all times as don’t want to miss the summons!. 🤞🏻

Yes totally unexpected as my mother  only got her appointment 3 weeks ago and she's in group 2. 

Hope you don't have too long to wait.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Wife's friend, same age, no underlying health conditions, lives 10 miles away, just had text and gets jab tomorrow at GP's. Don't anyone try to tell me there isn't distribution anomalies and a postcode lottery. Our GP hasn't had any for over a week.

I think the problems are many and firstly the GP practice network probably cannot split their lists into precise groups as easily as the government can define them.  Vaccine will always arrive in pack sizes not necessarily precisely as needed.  Once delivered under refrigerated conditions it needs using asap to ensure it stays within safe limits to be viable.  The practices need the appropriate staff by numbers and time available to undertake the procedures and meanwhile big centres are being set up in some locations near surgeries with duplicate invitations.  The United Kingdom is actually doing very well with completing the overall vaccination scheme but yes there will always be anomalies but the vaccine has to be used pragmatically once there are only a few doses left on a current delivery. Hopefully we will end up with a good outcome for all in time.

Regards John

• Like 5

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Pleased for you.

15 hours ago, purplesea said:

Although the organisation and delivery of my jab yesterday was faultless, I hope none of you have the sort of reaction I had last night. For a couple of hours I felt really unwell and couldn’t stop shivering which was quite unpleasant. At least I knew what was causing it and that it would pass. Still feeling a bit under the weather but nothing like how was feeling at 01:00 a.m.

• Like 2

Hope you’ll soon be back to 100% Pete

Remind me - did you have something live in your trial?

I’ve read quite a few anecdotes with people saying they sailed through the first jab but reacted to the second, or, they had & recovered from Covid but their vaccination knocked them for 6

Bunch of 💐 for you!

4 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Although the organisation and delivery of my jab yesterday was faultless, I hope none of you have the sort of reaction I had last night. For a couple of hours I felt really unwell and couldn’t stop shivering which was quite unpleasant. At least I knew what was causing it and that it would pass. Still feeling a bit under the weather but nothing like how was feeling at 01:00 a.m.

My husband had his about 3 weeks ago and suffered similar symptoms, he also just wanted to sleep the next day. 
Hope you feel better soon.

5 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I have what feels like a light cold this morning 48 hours after the jab, seems like a typical reaction, the upside is that at least I know my immune system is working.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Did you have the AZ or Pfizer jab? Anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that people tend to react more to the AZ vaccine than the Pfizer, but I have seen no official figures. I'm sure someone somewhere is monitoring both to assess the general response

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Pete

Same here, plus other then my heart, all my organs were on fire, have a intolerance to medication any way so was expecting a reaction.

23 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Sounds nasty, which vaccine was it ?  I hope you are soon back to normal.

29 minutes ago, pete14 said:

For what it’s worth, I had a very restless night after the AZ vaccine (kept waking up) and felt ‘off’ all the following day.  Fine after that.

My wife was Pfizered and had no effects at all.

Hope you’re soon feeling better.

Edited by Harry Peterson

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

For what it’s worth, I had a very restless night after the AZ vaccine (kept waking up) and felt ‘off’ all the following day.  Fine after that.

And, for what it's worth, a friend had the AZ a few days ago and had a similar reaction to Pete's; she described it as feeling frozen from the inside. I had the Pfizer two days ago - no problems the night after, but felt flu-ey all day yesterday. Today, fine.

The Covid Symptom Study (Zoe app) collects data on vaccines and after-effects, as well as many other stats, if anyone fancies joining it: https://covid.joinzoe.com/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Hope you’re soon feeling better.

Thanks for your supportive comments. I am sure I will feel better soon and although it didn’t seem like it at the time, it can be seen as a price worth paying for the relative safety the vaccine offers.
It was the AZ vaccine I had. To answer Eddie, during the trial I was given saline with no ill effect at all (unsurprisingly).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

That's exactly what happened to me and also to a friend of mine

Edited by jeanlyon