New vaccine

hollyjess

6 hours ago, davecttr said:

I agree the one dose idea should only be used if the data available supports it. did Pfizer do trials where only one dose was used? .If not they will have to conduct a proper trial

The Pfizer vaccine is currently only licenced on a two part basis.

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Economics 101 - what is your definition of cost pricing? 

Tricky ground when supplying... 

Do you quote cost price as what you actually pay, or list price which will not include your discounts, or the price you pay plus your actual costs involved in handling and transportation etc, just effectively removing your profit... 

These could all be described as cost prices and be different figures... 

I suspect they are taking out the profit element but making sure they are all paid handsomely within the cost price... 

Andy 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Do you quote cost price as what you actually pay, or list price which will not include your discounts, or the price you pay plus your actual costs involved in handling and transportation etc, just effectively removing your profit... 

I suspect they are taking out the profit element but making sure they are all paid handsomely within the cost price... 

Andy 

Agreed or even when we have delivered a pallet of our goods to a customer,

only to find they have lodged a complaint such as the shop display blister that holds 

the product is damaged on 30% or the pallet .

We have found it easier to tell them to keep the goods so they get 70% for free and we

just send  a duplicate order that is 100 % checked ok .

Saves us the cost of return transport, someone sifting through the load to find the faulty

goods and the cost of disposal . So many things that can hit the  profit element and also

soften the profit loss whilst keeping customer satisfaction in tact ,the latter being our 

main concern .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

But changing the licence would be relatively simple, I believe.

It’s a 2 dose process, immunity is only reached 7 days after the second dose with the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, so only receiving one dose may not give the immunity expected and put at risk the whole vaccine program. It also appears that the Oxford vaccine is also 2 doses. 

https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/clinical-areas/immunology-and-vaccines/pfizer-vaccine-gives-immunity-seven-days-after-second-dose-says-advisory-body/

54 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

And that's before you even get into overhead recovery, depreciation etc!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

And that's before you even get into overhead recovery, depreciation etc!

Why can't you all accept that Astra Zeneca will be supplying third world countries at a lower price than they charge the wealthier nations, and let's hope they also include some of  these supplies in the earliest stages as well, which will help to ensure the virus is attacked worldwide.

• Like 2

Just now, terrierjohn said:

Why can't you all accept that Astra Zeneca will be supplying third world countries at a lower price than they charge the wealthier nations, and let's hope they also include some of  these supplies in the earliest stages as well, which will help to ensure the virus is attacked worldwide.

It's not a criticism of the supplier John, just an explanation of what cost price could mean. 

Andy 

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

It's not a criticism of the supplier John, just an explanation of what cost price could mean. 

Andy 

Since we will never know what AZ consider their cost price to be, the speculation is all a bit pointless. 

But then again so has been much of our discussions over this year, quite a lot of it mine!😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Since we will never know what AZ consider their cost price to be, the speculation is all a bit pointless. 

But then again so has been much of our discussions over this year, quite a lot of it mine!😬

I have read in a few places that the Oxford /AZ vaccine costs about £4, the Moderna about £28 with the Pfizer Biontech somewhere in the middle. Those may all be ‘cost prices’, frankly I don’t think it matters. They will all save lives and get the country moving again. My guess is that there will be a small element of profit in all of them. Personally if the developed world ends up subsidising nations who can neither access the cheaper ones nor afford the most expensive ones, it will be a welcome sign of the human race caring for all it’s members, not just the more wealthy countries. That has to be a good thing.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I have read in a few places that the Oxford /AZ vaccine costs about £4, the Moderna about £28 with the Pfizer Biontech somewhere in the middle. Those may all be ‘cost prices’, frankly I don’t think it matters. They will all save lives and get the country moving again. My guess is that there will be a small element of profit in all of them. Personally if the developed world ends up subsidising nations who can neither access the cheaper ones nor afford the most expensive ones, it will be a welcome sign of the human race caring for all it’s members, not just the more wealthy countries. That has to be a good thing.

Most big pharma companies subsidise drugs to poorer countries, sometimes they simply donate the drugs or charge a lower price or allow generic drug companies within poor countries to manufacture the drugs. The third option works well with drugs that have logistical implications such as the current covid vaccine, the other aspect to this is that they don't need to pay the import tariffs. An Indian pharma company I worked for is currently manufacturing the sputnik vaccine in India.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Another quote for the anti-vaxers to use😁

and I will tell them about my mates Auntie who has had the vaccine :classic_unsure:

Likes to be known as Auntie Vaccine ,who has had the vaccine which really

confuses the anti vaxers :classic_wacko:

• Like 1

Yay!  The Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine has been approved.

In my 32 years working for the NHS this is the happiest day.

Congratulations and heartfelt thanks to the wonderful scientists who have made this possible.

Matt Hancock has just said "The cavalry has arrived".

Sorry to gush but I feel like crying!

Have a great day everyone.

Best wishes.

Jane

X

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Congratulations and heartfelt thanks to the wonderful scientists who have made this possible.

Best wishes.

Jane

X

Absolutely Jane. Such wonderful news.

We just need to keep ourselves safe for the next month or two until we have been vaccinated.

I really hope people stay at home on New Year’s Eve and not worsen the already weighty burden that has been placed on the NHS (which has our love and thanks).

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Best wishes.

Jane

X

Thank you to you and 1000's more like you ,who have hung in there, never giving up,

even working days off .I bet most of you are drained with the workload, risk of catching 

it yourself and fretting about your loved ones as well.

Well done all of you and thanks for never giving up ! :classic_smile:   :classic_love:

tenor.gif.0b1685b307a2c5bc56b9d574e62a6823.gif

• Like 9

Great news and I read they are going for the rapid vaccination of more first doses rather than the 2 dose version, however you should get your second dose within 12 weeks anyway. My main worry is are there enough doses available for such a rapid rollout and having to wait another 3 months before the second dose.

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Great news and I read they are going for the rapid vaccination of more first doses rather than the 2 dose version, however you should get your second dose within 12 weeks anyway. My main worry is are there enough doses available for such a rapid rollout and having to wait another 3 months before the second dose.

Lets not worry Dave ,be happy that we will be getting that first dose sooner than later .

As for the 2nd dose there is nothing to say it is or would be delayed, lets cross that bridge

when we come to it !  In the meantime onwards & upwards :classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Great news and I read they are going for the rapid vaccination of more first doses rather than the 2 dose version, however you should get your second dose within 12 weeks anyway. My main worry is are there enough doses available for such a rapid rollout?

Of course the approval of the Oxford vaccine is excellent news but I wonder where the 12 week gap between vaccinations has come from. As far as I know, the efficacy and safety trials had a shorter gap and it is this that the efficacy percentage ratings were based on. The news I read is that the increased gap is as a result of new unpublished evidence. It just seems odd that this new unpublished evidence coincides with calls (including from Tony Blair) to give more people the first dose (likely to be half a dose with this vaccine) so that a greater number of people can receive some protection. This new approach may be the best way of administering the greatest protection to the greatest number, I sincerely hope it is, but until the new evidence is published, we won’t know whether it is the best way or just a cynical political way of manipulating the figures. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Of course the approval of the Oxford vaccine is excellent news but I wonder where the 12 week gap between vaccinations has come from. As far as I know, the efficacy and safety trials had a shorter gap and it is this that the efficacy percentage ratings were based on. The news I read is that the increased gap is as a result of new unpublished evidence. It just seems odd that this new unpublished evidence coincides with calls (including from Tony Blair) to give more people the first dose (likely to be half a dose with this vaccine) so that a greater number of people can receive some protection. This new approach may be the best way of administering the greatest protection to the greatest number, I sincerely hope it is, but until the new evidence is published, we won’t know whether it is the best way or just a cynical political way of manipulating the figures. 

I don't imagine that the regulatory authorities could make a political decision to manipulate the figures.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dorsetlad said:

I don't imagine that the regulatory authorities could make a political decision to manipulate the figures.

Probably not, but the politicians could. I am always wary when politicians come up with new unpublished evidence. Hopefully my greater caution is mis-placed.