New vaccine

hollyjess

My local authority has secured use of the local exhibition centre as a vaccination centre, normally used for business exhibitions, conferences and occasional concert, all we need now is the vaccine, appears we were accidentally left off the list before Christmas, but now back on and care home residents & staff are being vaccinated, which will probably include my future daughter-in-law. 

So by end of January we will have 7 test centres including one rapid test centre and a vaccination centre.

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Really good to hear that all the over 80s in parts of London have already been done, but I’m still concerned that this age group hasn’t even been given an appointment yet around here. As a matter of interest, how much notice is usually given, and is it posted? Thanks in advance. 

Where do you get the idea all the over 80s in parts of London have been done.  My friend is 84 and hasn't been, although has her appointment.  She was told today to come for her jab on Saturday.

My Niece works at Queens Alexandra in Portsmouth. Had her jab three weeks ago should have had her next one this Saturday, which now has been canceled until twelve weeks for her second one.

She's now working across 3 wards all of them Covid, so her hospital is much busier now than it was during the first wave in April. 

Grim isn't it? Stay Safe

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Where do you get the idea all the over 80s in parts of London have been done.  My friend is 84 and hasn't been, although has her appointment.  She was told today to come for her jab on Saturday.

See Becketts earlier post, in her area they have been done, apart from the decliners.

5 minutes ago, Amelia Noylam said:

My Niece works at Queens Alexandra in Portsmouth. Had her jab three weeks ago should have had her next one this Saturday, which now has been canceled until twelve weeks for her second one.

She's now working across 3 wards all of them Covid, so her hospital is much busier now than it was during the first wave in April. 

Grim isn't it? Stay Safe

I'm pleased your niece has had her first jab.

She deserves all the praise we can give her for her hard work.

The number of covid19 new cases is very worrying and the death toll is dreadful.

Take care.

Graham.

13 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Hello Jean. I think that may be my fault. I said in an earlier post that all the over 80s in my practice had been done (apart from the decliners) but we are just one medium-sized practice in a very large pool. Sorry if I misled anyone.  Best wishes. Jane

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Hello Jean. I think that may be my fault. I said in an earlier post that all the over 80s in my practice had been done (apart from the decliners) but we are just one medium-sized practice in a very large pool. Sorry if I misled anyone.  Best wishes. Jane

Does that  mean you wait until all over 80's have been done throughout the UK, them start the next age group after that, at the same time other areas start doing the next age group?

Edited by tring

23 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Really good to hear that all the over 80s in parts of London have already been done, but I’m still concerned that this age group hasn’t even been given an appointment yet around here. As a matter of interest, how much notice is usually given, and is it posted? Thanks in advance. 

Hello Ardennais. Once again I can only comment on the way my hub is operating: we are telephoning our patients - 3 staff phoning for most of the day. The notice period is very short. Sometimes it is for the same day if patients can make it. Usually 23-72 hours notice. Jane

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Beckett said:

No problem at all.  I thought it sounded odd.  However, I am very pleased my friend has hers on Saturday.  She is in Richmond.  I am fairly sure she had covid back in January.  She was really ill with terrible cough, fever, etc and still has slight problem with her lungs, but since then she has tested negative about 3 times.  She is doing something for ONS .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tring said:

Does that  mean you wait until all over 80's have been done throughout the UK, them start the next age group after that, as other areas start doing the next age group?

No Tring. We are working from a hub of 6 practices with a total of around 40,000 patients. Once we have worked through each age group we start on the next one. The numbers are sadly much lower in the over 80s. Once we begin the next cohort, the patient numbers will be higher and the process will of course take longer. I believe that is how all hubs are operating.  Jane 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Beckett said:

No Tring. We are working from a hub of 6 practices with a total of around 40,000 patients. Once we have worked through each age group we start on the next one. The numbers are sadly much lower in the over 80s. Once we begin the next cohort, the patient numbers will be higher and the process will of course take longer. I believe that is how all hubs are operating.  Jane 

So you are allowed to start the next age group when there are people in the previous group in other parts of the UK have not been done?

Seems unfair in a way for other parts of the country if vaccine is limited, but you are certainly doing a grand job for your patients, so you must be very well organised.

7 minutes ago, tring said:

So you are allowed to start the next age group when there are people in the previous group in other parts of the UK have not been done?

Seems unfair in a way for other parts of the country if vaccine is limited, but you are certainly doing a grand job for your patients, so you must be very well organised.

I know it seems unfair Tring and I did say in my earlier post how very aware I am that other parts of the country have yet to get going, and I'm sorry for that. One of the problems is the very short life of the Pfizer. Far better to progress to the next age group than waste the vaccine. We are very lucky that in my part of London, although highly populated, we are within reach of multiple sites from which vaccine hubs can be set up. I can't imagine the nightmare of trying to set up sites in lesser populated areas. But it will happen. Sorry. Best wishes. Jane

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I know it seems unfair Tring and I did say in my earlier post how very aware I am that other parts of the country have yet to get going, and I'm sorry for that. One of the problems is the very short life of the Pfizer. Far better to progress to the next age group than waste the vaccine. We are very lucky that in my part of London, although highly populated, we are within reach of multiple sites from which vaccine hubs can be set up. I can't imagine the nightmare of trying to set up sites in lesser populated areas. But it will happen. Sorry. Best wishes. Jane

You have nothing to be sorry for, this was never going to be easy and the logistics of moving the Pfizer vaccine was always known. I would rather anybody get it than waste it, that would be a travesty. You keep doing what you do best, we all understand things are not always fair in life, this whole virus thing is not fair, but it is here and we will beat it.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Sorry I did not mean to sound rude and in fact our GP surgery are usually spot on with their organisation and I do not have any knowledge of how it is going at present.  I assume it will all equal out somewhat if the vaccine does become in short supply and once the AZ vaccine is properly rolled out, but at present getting done who they can must be the priority.  As I said you are doing a grand job and meant it.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Amelia Noylam said:

Grim isn't it? Stay Safe

And that's the reality Amelia.  Your niece must be run off her feet and totally exhausted. She and her colleagues are doing such a wonderful job. Things are really grim and very frightening. I wish them all well with grateful thanks for their dedication. Best wishes.  Jane

• Like 7

1 minute ago, tring said:

Sorry I did not mean to sound rude and in fact our GP surgery are usually spot on with their organisation and I do not have any knowledge of how it is going at present.  I assume it will all equal out somewhat if the vaccine does become in short supply and once the AZ vaccine is properly rolled out, but at present getting done who they can must be the priority.  As I said you are doing a grand job and meant it.

I don't think anybody would accuse you of being rude, you asked a perfectly viable question which any of us could have asked, whatever happens over the next few months will not always seem fair to some. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

You have nothing to be sorry for, this was never going to be easy and the logistics of moving the Pfizer vaccine was always known. I would rather anybody get it than waste it, that would be a travesty. You keep doing what you do best, we all understand things are not always fair in life, this whole virus thing is not fair, but it is here and we will beat it.

Thanks Phil.  You,  more than most,  understand the peculiarities of dealing with vaccines. Life's a bit of a ..... (fill in the blanks as you see fit) at the moment.  Best wishes.  Jane

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, tring said:

You weren't rude at all Tring and I thank you for the compliment. Best wishes. Jane

• Like 1

It appears my practice surgery (11 plus doctors) will be a local hub for several practices. Vaccine to start arriving next week. A 15 minute bus ride and then half a mile walk or will a taxi be safer? As I am in group 5 and it goes well I am expecting sometime in March. Hold on in early March I will move to group 4 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

A few posts back - Beckett mentioned it. 

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Hello Ardennais. Once again I can only comment on the way my hub is operating: we are telephoning our patients - 3 staff phoning for most of the day. The notice period is very short. Sometimes it is for the same day if patients can make it. Usually 23-72 hours notice. Jane

Thanks. It’s interesting to learn how things are done. And really heartening to hear that you’re making some headway. Same day notice would be incredibly challenging around here but 72 hours very doable I should imagine. Fingers crossed it shouldn’t be long for my parents!

4 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

I think that might now have changed. I saw something earlier that stated that appointments for second jabs are being cancelled.

We have booked a 20 pound cab for 2moro with our mate who cabs in a nearby town. I will have to ring them 2moro again to make sure and use the same script. We are in Ormskirk he is coming over from Southport and he cancelled jobs to do it I think. Where are you from?

53 minutes ago, davecttr said:

It appears my practice surgery (11 plus doctors) will be a local hub for several practices. Vaccine to start arriving next week. A 15 minute bus ride and then half a mile walk or will a taxi be safer? As I am in group 5 and it goes well I am expecting sometime in March. Hold on in early March I will move to group 4 🤔

In our area, the one practice surgery has 3 doctors but covers a huge area - 20 miles in one direction, 15 in another and 10 in the third - think of the Mercedes logo! They used to hold surgeries in some of the village halls for a few hours a week years ago, but that’s all gone now.