More details on the CDC mandate and return to sailing

jimbo5544

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The article says this is the "likely" thing they will do.  I can't see them continuing a cruise if an outbreak (meaning more than one as the article states) occurs, but canceling everything and quarantining the whole ship at just one case does seem stupid.  Even colleges set aside blocks of rooms for quarantine now - cruise ships could do the same, I would think.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, pe4all said:

The article says this is the "likely" thing they will do.  I can't see them continuing a cruise if an outbreak (meaning more than one as the article states) occurs, but canceling everything and quarantining the whole ship at just one case does seem stupid.  Even colleges set aside blocks of rooms for quarantine now - cruise ships could do the same, I would think.

Seems overly punitive and anti cruise driven to me.  They continue to underachieve.  Very, very disappointing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Seems overly punitive and anti cruise driven to me.  They continue to underachieve.  Very, very disappointing. 

Somtimes i wonder what the CDC has against the cruise industry? Maybe someone from the CDC got left at the peir in Belieze or something. 😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

This is more and more support for a vaccine being required to board when it's available. For those people who want to argue that if I'm vaccinated what do I care if someone else isn't - answer being this. If one covid case gets onboard, my vacation is over, whether or not I had the vaccine. The cruise lines won't have another choice. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

This is more and more support for a vaccine being required to board when it's available. For those people who want to argue that if I'm vaccinated what do I care if someone else isn't - answer being this. If one covid case gets onboard, my vacation is over, whether or not I had the vaccine. The cruise lines won't have another choice. 

Good point, because no vaccine is 100% effective. 90-95% sounds great to us, but the CDC sees 90-95% as a 5-10% chance someone could be affected on the cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Somtimes i wonder what the CDC has against the cruise industry? Maybe someone from the CDC got left at the peir in Belieze or something. 😀

Lol, adorable. There’s plenty for the CDC to have against the cruise industry. It isn’t as glam as cruise fans think it is. 

10 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Lol, adorable. There’s plenty for the CDC to have against the cruise industry. It isn’t as glam as cruise fans think it is. 

Glam is never the term I would use unless you are cruising the exclusive smaller high dollar ships.

Edited by Butterbean1000

16 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

It is not what they have or do not have.  Their job is not to look for blame but solve the problem.  Whatever cruise lines errors were early on and occurred at the same approximate time as political officials (high level officials) had just told the people of New York to continue to live their lives as normal.  If the CDC is focused on 8 months ago, we are all lost if left to them.  Utter, dismal failure.  Miscommunications, change of advice in the same day and on and on.  

• Like 3

This thread is going on par with most others. You have 2 different "sides" with polar opposite  opinions . 

And guess what at the at the end of the day ( arguments) what either side says/believes won't change how the CDC operates OR what their end goal is.

It's like trying to move a mountain.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

There's no reason that should be necessary with testing today. And we aren't even talking about today. We're talking about a couple months from now. If someone staying in a hotel comes up positive are they going to quarantine everyone in the hotel? No. I've had about 10 hotel stays in the past six months. For the most part hotels are going about their normal business. The double-standard is ridiculous.  

What hotels did you sleep in where you woke up in a different country?

53 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

There's no reason that should be necessary with testing today. And we aren't even talking about today. We're talking about a couple months from now. If someone staying in a hotel comes up positive are they going to quarantine everyone in the hotel? No. I've had about 10 hotel stays in the past six months. For the most part hotels are going about their normal business. The double-standard is ridiculous.  

Yup, it does seem like a double standard 🤔 

Everyone needs to realize that flying, going to a theme park, staying in a hotel, and etc  is DIFFERENT than taking a cruise.....       on a cruise you are struck on the ship for 3 to 7 days or more with SAME PEOPLE 

Edited by Cruiseboy06
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Wow.  How am I the problem? I can only speak from my experience.  I had the flu.  I wear masks everywhere.  I stay away from crowds. I know people are dying.  People die every year from the flu,  covid or not. Look up the breakdown of the mortality statistics on the CDC website.  The majority of deaths are people with underlying health problems.  Does this make it less tragic? Of course not. That is not what I was saying at all. 

Well said 👍

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

If I get on a ship today and someone tests positive tonight we're all quarantined. That has nothing to do with other countries.

and how in the world do you quarantine a shipload of passengers and crew? The short answer is you can't. The article is nonsensical.

Edited by BlerkOne

17 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Sadly a middle aged cruiser I knew passed away from covid a few days ago. No diabetes or other commonly identified risk factor. It was not the first covid fatality I knew and I doubt it will be the last.

I know survivors, too, but am concerned that they may now have increased risk of throwing a clot or some other event in a few months or years, because of covid. If they didn't have underlying health problems before, I think there is a good chance they do now.

Fair enough. First, sorry you've lost friends.  But addressing your other concerns, I smoked years ago. My chances of lung cancer or heart disease is higher than those who never smoked.  So now that I've had covid, you're saying I have a risk of blood clots. This is the first I've heard that. I'll have to investigate it.  But I've had a hip replacement so my chances of getting blood clots from that have also increased.  

I'll just leave it with this. If you feel like you're getting sick, keep your happy butt at home and quarantine.  Get tested.  And for heaven's sake, stop hoarding TP!! (Sorry,  I couldn't resist)

Edited by Butterbean1000
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

and how in the world do you quarantine a shipload of passengers and crew? The short answer is you can't. The article is nonsensical.

I think we saw it earlier this year. They made everyone stay in their rooms.

• Like 1