Another NCL Cruiser Wanting To Try MSC

GA Dave

Just a couple of quick questions, as my experience has been all NCL, both balcony and Haven.

1. Does anyone know what the current deadline is for final payments?  I know some lines are 60 days but some are still 120 days.  I am looking at a short May cruise in the Yacht Club, which shows a very reasonable down payment, but I want to be able to cancel if things look crazy restricted once they restart here in the USA, and I do not want to wait months to get back my full payment.
  2. In the Yacht Club, I would be traveling solo and received a price that I felt was very good for a solo cruiser.  Do they have any events for solo cruisers on MSC like they do on NCL?  And is it just for people in certain cabin classes, or is it for anyone?  Not really a big deal for this short cruise, but thinking ahead to a longer cruise, it would be nice to have a solo "meet and greet" like NCL does first day out.

Any information is appreciated.

13 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Just a couple of quick questions, as my experience has been all NCL, both balcony and Haven.

1. Does anyone know what the current deadline is for final payments?  I know some lines are 60 days but some are still 120 days.  I am looking at a short May cruise in the Yacht Club, which shows a very reasonable down payment, but I want to be able to cancel if things look crazy restricted once they restart here in the USA, and I do not want to wait months to get back my full payment.
  2. In the Yacht Club, I would be traveling solo and received a price that I felt was very good for a solo cruiser.  Do they have any events for solo cruisers on MSC like they do on NCL?  And is it just for people in certain cabin classes, or is it for anyone?  Not really a big deal for this short cruise, but thinking ahead to a longer cruise, it would be nice to have a solo "meet and greet" like NCL does first day out.

I was looking for MSC's website but couldn't find it.  If I fiind it before somebody else, I put a link.  But I know that the final payment due date is 90 days for a 7 day cruise but I know that this varies for other sailings like world voyages.  Also, the deposit for YC (Yacht Club) is refundable upto 120 days provided it's a refundable deposit.  You'll want to issure that it's refundable prior to booking.  All mine that I've booked have been refundable but I remember reading that's always the case.

They do have a Solo M&G which is posted in their daily paper at least the first day but it's nothing like NCL's.  It was at the Champaign bar in the late afternoon and there were 2 crew members (one spoke multiple languages) just to introduce everyone.  They stayed a short time, maybe 10-15 mins.  I don't know if this is the normal process but it was that way for my B2B last Nov./Dec. (2019).  This is held outside of the YC so anyone is welcome to go.

Even though MSC isn't as good as NCL at solo events, I had a great time and met a lot of people on the cruise.

• Like 1

Note that MSC has different terms for different areas and thus it can get confusing on this forum.  For US bookings final payment is due 90 days before sailing and that only differs for the world cruise, as you know a travel agent's date may differ.  Be aware that the deposit loss date may differ, it changes by the length of sailing and if it's a YC booking.  See below link.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/booking-terms-and-conditions.pdf

Also note the US terms conflict as in one place YC bookings are non-refundable and in another place it shows YC deposit is refundable.  Time for a refund has varied widely, many threads here about that.

MSC does put solo passengers together in the assigned dining, in the YC I've always seen solos seated alone.  However, we've joined several solo cruisers when dining in the YC.

ETA: Bookings of four night or less have a final payment due at 60 days.

Edited by Até
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

Oh, and you will still wait months for your refund. Also, Notice the note that all requests for refunds and cancellations must be done in writing. 

I was also thinking of doing a May Solo in YC just to take a few days and relax. Not a bad idea. 

4C91566D-489E-456F-AE74-EC9BF9680CE0.jpeg

Edited by BoundForSea
  • Like 1

From the US Terms and Conditions linked above:

"For MSC Yacht Club Bookings, a non-refundable deposit equal to: cruises 4nights or less -$99 per adult or $198 per stateroom; cruises 5-14 nights -$199 per adult or $398 per stateroom; cruises 15 nights or more -$300 per adult or $600 per stateroom (based on double occupancy), is due and payable by the Passenger at time of booking."

Most MSC booking agents are still unaware of this new statement, which is still contradicted in the deposit loss charts, and insist any deposits would be refunded to the form of payment.  So far I haven't been held to the non-refundable verbiage and have always received a credit card refund on a YC booking I've cancelled before deposit loss date.  To cloud things further note that MSC also recently changed the definition of a "Refund":

"“Refund” means a return of all or part of the Cruise Fare and is applicable only on the conditions described herein. A Refund may, at Carrier’s sole option, be issued in the form of a cruise credit certificate redeemable for a future cruise and valid for a period of at least one year from the date of issuance and which shall have no cash value.  In the event of a Refund of government taxes or fees, such amount may, at Carrier’s sole option, be issued in the form of a credit certificate for future government taxes or fees on a future booking, however if the certificate is not used within the time period specified on the certificate, Passenger shall be entitled to a cash refund of government fees and taxes actually paid."

Again, not yet had a problem with this change either.  But MSC obviously made these changes in case they are ever needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just noticed the newest Terms and Conditions (unknown date) reverted back to a YC booking deposit loss chart date of 90 days out.  That reverses the change to 120 days out back in February of 2019.  The written deposit loss terms still state YC bookings are non-refundable.  Old June, 2020 chart below:

YC.thumb.jpg.56eb49f9ba2b42f0bc45b84d0adb4eed.jpg

I booked back with the 120 date, I wonder which they are going to hold me to.

• Like 1

@GA Dave if this thread shows you anything it is that it is 100% necessary to print all terms and conditions of your booking on the day you put money down. MSC is notorious for changing the terms as they go along (even before Covid). I've done several NCL and MSC cruises. I believe you will find the MSC experience much quieter than NCL, and of course, a bit more formal. IMO the YC is an exceptional value, but in some ways you do get what you pay for so it's best to keep expectations aligned with pricepoint. MSC does nothing (or very minimal) for solo cruisers. There are people still waiting for refunds from March of 2020, so I wouldn't deposit anything you absolutely must get back in a hurry. I'd gladly sail either line again.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

@GA Dave if this thread shows you anything it is that it is 100% necessary to print all terms and conditions of your booking on the day you put money down. MSC is notorious for changing the terms as they go along (even before Covid). I've done several NCL and MSC cruises. I believe you will find the MSC experience much quieter than NCL, and of course, a bit more formal. IMO the YC is an exceptional value, but in some ways you do get what you pay for so it's best to keep expectations aligned with pricepoint. MSC does nothing (or very minimal) for solo cruisers. There are people still waiting for refunds from March of 2020, so I wouldn't deposit anything you absolutely must get back in a hurry. I'd gladly sail either line again.

Yes, I have no problem if the deposit is held for a time.  I just did not want to pay in full and then wait 6-8 months for a refund of that money if the cruise conditions post-Covid turn out to be prison like.

I also appreciate your advise on the comparison of Haven vs Yacht Club.  The cruise I am looking at is a short weekend type of cruise and I was very surprised how inexpensive a YC cabin would be with just me sailing.  So, my expectations would be that, if the YC is anything beyond a normal balcony room experience on NCL, it would be a bonus.

Thanks to everyone for all the information!

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

So, my expectations would be that, if the YC is anything beyond a normal balcony room experience on NCL, it would be a bonus.

IMO it is most definitely significantly better than a balcony room on NCL. The room itself isn't significantly different, but access to top sail lounge and one pool are exceptional. No crowds!! Very very peaceful. No stress of getting a lounger. Total relaxation. This sounds like a perfect way for you to give MSC a try. IMO, msc is the best value sailing right now. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

Oh, and you will still wait months for your refund.

18 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

There are people still waiting for refunds from March of 2020, so I wouldn't deposit anything you absolutely must get back in a hurry.

MSC is consistent with their inconsistency. 😳

I know that some people have waited months for their refund but I received mine 31 days after requesting it. Mine was just a deposit but the key was asking for the refund during a specific date window. If I had missed the window, who knows how long that I would have waited. 

6 hours ago, GA Dave said:

So, my expectations would be that, if the YC is anything beyond a normal balcony room experience on NCL, it would be a bonus.

No matter the ship, YC is superior to a balcony on NCL. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

MSC is consistent with their inconsistency. 😳

I know that some people have waited months for their refund but I received mine 31 days after requesting it. Mine was just a deposit but the key was asking for the refund during a specific date window. If I had missed the window, who knows how long that I would have waited. 

No matter the ship, YC is superior to a balcony on NCL. 

Dave having done several Haven and YC sailings, I will share with you that all day long we will choose the YC experience. Admittadly the cost is sometimes significantly lower, and the ammenities, the ship, the YC faciliites, pool areas, lounge, and reataurant neet and exceed Haven’s on some ships. Add to that little perks like free Spa access, Some ships offer free specialty drinks and gelato, free mini bar, and an outstanding butler service that is, kind of same as Haven in that sometimes you get lucky with the greatest butler and sometimes you well, you just dont. There is a YC Manager however that will nip that in the bud early if you become a greasy wheel. 

Youre going to love it Im confident. Id recommend Seaside and Mera. More facilities, updated, and more perks.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

Add to that little perks like free Spa access, Some ships offer free specialty drinks and gelato, free mini bar, and an outstanding butler service that is, kind of same as Haven in that sometimes you get lucky with the greatest butler and sometimes you well, you just dont. There is a YC Manager however that will nip that in the bud early if you become a greasy wheel. 

How can you tell which ships have the free bonuses and which don't? I'm used to having to pay extra for everything on NCL like the ice cream/cupcake shops, specialty coffee, mini bar, etc. We're booked on the Meraviglia for January in the YC Royal Suite - how can I see what is included and what will be extra? I keep seeing mixed stories about a cabana on the top deck a well being included for RS cabins too.

6 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

How can you tell which ships have the free bonuses and which don't? I'm used to having to pay extra for everything on NCL like the ice cream/cupcake shops, specialty coffee, mini bar, etc. We're booked on the Meraviglia for January in the YC Royal Suite - how can I see what is included and what will be extra? I keep seeing mixed stories about a cabana on the top deck a well being included for RS cabins too.

On MSC basically you can't and it can change.  E.G, Seaside and Mera cabana for RS supposedly yes.  Seaside drinks at Venchi included but at chocolate shop on Mera it is franchise so no.  Mini bar yes but talk then of limits.  Variance on Europe vs US sailings for things.  

Bottom line, more included in YC vs NCL in general except the 'free' specialty dining.  

As far as cabana for RS, we had one on Seaside.  It was nice to have own space but zero service other than a stocked small cooler in the am.  Others have had better luck.

Our March Mera cancelled.

On 12/3/2020 at 2:08 PM, GA Dave said:

Yes, I have no problem if the deposit is held for a time.  I just did not want to pay in full and then wait 6-8 months for a refund of that money if the cruise conditions post-Covid turn out to be prison like.

I also appreciate your advise on the comparison of Haven vs Yacht Club.  The cruise I am looking at is a short weekend type of cruise and I was very surprised how inexpensive a YC cabin would be with just me sailing.  So, my expectations would be that, if the YC is anything beyond a normal balcony room experience on NCL, it would be a bonus.

Thanks to everyone for all the information!

We are not very experienced cruisers, only 7 cruises on NCL and 2 cruises on MSC, but our experience is defenitely that MSC is MUCH better value for money. They are cheaper and better! 

• Like 2

We have traveled quite a bit on NCL and four sailings on MSC.  Have to say that our first one (preCOVID) was excellent, while the other three in the early COVID times (Nov, 2019-Feb. 2020) were not as pleasant. I love traveling in Europe, so I enjoy meeting people from other countries, but MSC ships are pretty 'unfriendly" to those who don't come with their own friends and family. There are MANY countries represented so you won't find others who are likely to want to strike up a friendship for seven days. LOTS of kids onboard all year round too.  We were on the Grandiosa in Nov for a Western Med. and transfered over to the older NCL Spirit (before it was refurbished) for the next cruise to the Eastern Med.  We LOVED the Spirit, found many people to socialize with and had a great time. The MSC Grandiosa was a great way of getting around the Mediterranean, but it just wasn't that appealing for our needs and desires. One third of the passengers were a HUGE group from China. 

Edited by Markanddonna

• 2 weeks later...

Having done both MSC Yacht Club on Seaside and an Aurea Suite on Armonia; I found I preferred the the suite experience, on Armonia.  The cost of the Aurea level Suite on Armonia or other ships in the fleet are often significantly lower than the Yacht Club.  On the smaller ships, such as the Armonia, the Aurea level cabins & suites, will be the best accommodation onboard, with the top benefits & privileges. 

The Aurea Experience is considered "Spa Accommodations" and include a comped Spa Treatment & unlimited use of the Spa Facilities. In addition, you get dining in the Suite & Aurea Dining Room, for all your meals.  My experience was that the Suite Dining Room on Armonia, was significantly better, (Italian dining on Armonia was outstanding, while rather poor on Seaside) than the YC Dining Room on Seaside.  

You get a drink package with Aurea, as well as a private Sundeck, with food & drink service.  You get many of the same benefits as YC, without the Butler; but the Suite Cabin Steward, does much the same thing anyway.  On the smaller ships, you are one of the chosen few and are treated regally.  With YC on a large ship, once you leave the YC areas, your just one of 4,000 guests!  Not so on Armonia & Posea, where your respected from day one.

Edited by gkbiiii

Let me add a question often asked: would you be best choosing Inside Yacht Club on a big ship or an Aurea Experience Balcony/Suite? To me, I would chose the Aurea Experience accommodation on the smaller ship.  In lew of the smaller ship, I would still choose the Aurea Experience, over the Inside Yacht Club; but I can see how this would be a more difficult decision, especially for people who have never sailed in YC.  Remember the experience is the same, once you leave the YC areas: both Experiences (YC & Aurea) include full Spa access, with Aurea, having their own VIP Sundeck Lounge, with full Bar & Drink Services. Aurea also has its own suite dining room (many suites are non-YC), which should be better than the mainline Dining Rooms.  

Just be aware, the respect you are giving, will be less on a 4,000 passenger ship, than a 2,000 one like Posea. Remember the passenger areas are larger on smaller ships, based on a per passenger basis.  Thy are easier to move around and have significant advantages, that larger more "bells & whistles" ships do not.

Edited by gkbiiii

8 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

Aurea also has its own suite dining room (many suites are non-YC), which should be better than the mainline Dining Rooms.  

I thought that was a part of one of the MDR with the same food but without fixed time. Does every ship has a separate dining room for Aurea or only some ships?

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I thought that was a part of one of the MDR with the same food but without fixed time. Does every ship has a separate dining room for Aurea or only some ships?

On Armonia, the Suite Dining Room was a deck higher than the Main Dining Room, which had two rooms, a deck below.