Seasons Greetings

On 12/18/2020 at 7:53 PM, Ondine said:

My local Coles was selling lobsters from Canada vacuum sealed.  Crazy to think we send them to China and then buy them from Canada.

Having had both spiny lobster and Atlantic lobster they are different, not least of which is the claws on the Atlantic ones. I have never had spiny lobster (crayfish) fresh before, I have however had fresh Atlantic lobster (it was live when I brought it home).

On 12/18/2020 at 5:04 PM, NSWP said:

Thanks David and for your pics. Merry Christmas to all my CC friends, it has been a tough year for all. Hope you get on a ship in 2021.

Thanks for you support to me personally.

chrissie.jpg.85cf56f3b5314e0aa07631b0dcb1d194.jpg2

Just returned from a holiday on the Sunshine Coast and Woodford Bush Time.  Saw the turnoff to your granddaughter's place today and wondered if you will still be visiting her and your Gold Coast relatives, with the current border issues.  I hope NSW is able to keep on top of the virus outbreak at the Northern Beaches.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, despite the possible travel difficulties, good health and every happiness during 2021.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Ho Ho Ho  well i am fat, white beard, and 50% white hair ( well what is left )

So I will try to be good to every one... so Cheers with a G&T tonight     Don

My beard is white when it gets a bit longer, my head hair (what is left) is still the colour it was 60 or more years ago

14 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Just returned from a holiday on the Sunshine Coast and Woodford Bush Time.  Saw the turnoff to your granddaughter's place today and wondered if you will still be visiting her and your Gold Coast relatives, with the current border issues.  I hope NSW is able to keep on top of the virus outbreak at the Northern Beaches.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, despite the possible travel difficulties, good health and every happiness during 2021.  

I cancelled Qld trip, arm still sore and border issues. Thank you.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I cancelled Qld trip, arm still sore and border issues. Thank you.

Disappointing for you, but I am not surprised.  As you know Autumn to Spring is better weather for your Qld visit.  My girls are thinking of cancelling their planned Tassie trip in January, as they don't want to be caught getting back to Qld.  Now hoping for rural NSW and ACT trip. 

I just had the best Christmas Fish Market shopping experience ever.

This year the Sydney Fish Markets decided to close their carpark (but arranged nearby alternatives) so they could ensure social distancing by using their carpark for queues. There was only one entrance with temp checks and sign-ins (QR code plus paper alternative). 

They opened at 5am this morning and stay open until 5pm tomorrow. Initially we were going to go there at 2am tomorrow morning but for some odd reason I got a feeling we should go suss it out this afternoon. 

So we did. We took a roundabout route to get there so we could drive past the entrance. There were no queues. So we parked and made our way in. Still no queues. We went straight to the shop we like, got served immediately, then went straight back to the car. No crowds, no waiting for ages to get served.

It might be a lot busier tomorrow though but today it was great. 😊

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I just had the best Christmas Fish Market shopping experience ever.

This year the Sydney Fish Markets decided to close their carpark (but arranged nearby alternatives) so they could ensure social distancing by using their carpark for queues. There was only one entrance with temp checks and sign-ins (QR code plus paper alternative). 

They opened at 5am this morning and stay open until 5pm tomorrow. Initially we were going to go there at 2am tomorrow morning but for some odd reason I got a feeling we should go suss it out this afternoon. 

So we did. We took a roundabout route to get there so we could drive past the entrance. There were no queues. So we parked and made our way in. Still no queues. We went straight to the shop we like, got served immediately, then went straight back to the car. No crowds, no waiting for ages to get served.

It might be a lot busier tomorrow though but today it was great. 😊

Probably quiet because Northern Suburbs residents who traditionally go there and spend a lot of money were absent.

On 12/19/2020 at 8:25 AM, By The Bay said:

I can't get the $20 WA crayfish from Coles or Woolworths. They sell out as soon as the arrive.☹️

I haven't looked at the shops here in WA for Crays but we did get to enjoy two large freshly cooked crays that my boss had pulled out of his pots the day before. They were the best I had tasted for years.

1 minute ago, benjoon said:

I haven't looked at the shops here in WA for Crays but we did get to enjoy two large freshly cooked crays that my boss had pulled out of his pots the day before. They were the best I had tasted for years.

Lucky you. I still haven't seen the $20 crayfish. They have very small Canadian tails for $9. If they don't have them tomorrow, Tiger Prawns it will be. 😉

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Probably quiet because Northern Suburbs residents who traditionally go there and spend a lot of money were absent.

No, the demographic at the fish markets in the past has been a high percentage of Asians which doesn't match the Northern Beaches demographic.

4 minutes ago, benjoon said:

Lucky you. 

Usually the Sydney Fish Market ones are quite good but a bit pricey but nothing can match freshly cooked ones like you got. 

Many years ago we got lucky when driving down the Kaikoura Coast in NZ. We'd planned on stopping for a cray and got to the Nins Bins van just as they took the crays out of the pot and plunged them into iced water. Best cray ever. Freshly caught that morning, just in time for lunch.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, the demographic at the fish markets in the past has been a high percentage of Asians which doesn't match the Northern Beaches demographic.

Where are the Asians then? Probably come out at 2am. Still many caucasians buy there. Woolies and Coles down here only had  a few $20 crays, none in last few days. I feel the restaurants bought them, 4 at a time and selling half  lobsters for $30,  dressed, salad or thermidor or americaine. Good mark up. Rogues.

This time lastvyear WA crays were selling for $60, no way jose. Ham sambonfor me.

Edited by NSWP

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Where are the Asians then? Probably come out at 2am. Still many caucasians buy there. Woolies and Coles down here only had  a few $20 crays, none in last few days. I feel the restaurants bought them, 4 at a time and selling half  lobsters for $30,  dressed, salad or thermidor or americaine. Good mark up. Rogues.

This time lastvyear WA crays were selling for $60, no way jose. Ham sambonfor me.

They were still there, just not in huge numbers. The demographic this year seemed to be similar to previous years but just smaller numbers. I think having the carpark closed might have had something to do with that.

We picked up a decent-sized Tasmanian cray, which I think are the best of the Australian ones. Not cheap but cheaper than previous years. Interestingly the outlet we go to, Peters, only had Tasmanian and Sydney crays. No WA ones at all. 

Are you still coming up to Riverview for Xmas?

23 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They were still there, just not in huge numbers. The demographic this year seemed to be similar to previous years but just smaller numbers. I think having the carpark closed might have had something to do with that.

We picked up a decent-sized Tasmanian cray, which I think are the best of the Australian ones. Not cheap but cheaper than previous years. Interestingly the outlet we go to, Peters, only had Tasmanian and Sydney crays. No WA ones at all. 

Are you still coming up to Riverview for Xmas?

Woollies and Coles probably bought every cray in WA. Tassie ones are ptobably better anyway.  Enjoy it.

Thanks for your concerns, no I am not coming up to Riverview, staying here on my own. Arm paining, plus anti biotics creating havoc with my gut, I am in no mood for Xmas. My son wants me up there but it is too much for me. He is not happy. I will suffer in silence and not depress anyone else and spend Xmas day, graveside. You have a good one and thanks for your support.

I will see how I go in early Jan after these 30 sutures come out of the 4x3 inch slice and one inch deep  cut and I am off the cursed antibiotics. Then I may come up to the big smoke.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1