The Daily for Saturday Dec 19, 2020

richwmn

today is Look for an Evergreen Day, Oatmeal Muffin Day, and National Wreaths Across America Day

Those who express random thoughts to legislative committees are often surprised and appalled to find themselves the instigators of law.
        -- Mark B. Cohen

Meal suggestion for today - Smoky Spanish Chicken

Drink of the Day - Santa Hat Jell-O Shots

Wine of the day - Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon Mount Veeder vintage 2015

at Sea English Channel
Volendam destination Portland UK eta 12/20

at Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam destination Wilemstad eta 12/20
Noordam destination Panama Canal eta 12/21
Oosterdam destination Sint Eustatius eta 12/23

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam destination San Diego eta 12/23
Nieuw Amsterdam off Los Angeles

Christobal Panama
Zuiderdam

Freeport Anchorage
Eurodam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Westerdam

Torquay Anchorage
Zaandam

1219World.JPG

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the final pre-Christmas Saturday Daily, Rich.  A big salute to Wreaths Across America.  I wonder how Christmas trees are doing this year, I expect a lot more people at home.  I'll have oatmeal but not the muffin this morning.  Interesting quote and meal suggestion.  My alternative is Fruit Salad with Yogurt and Honey, Grilled Chicken Breast with Louisiana Style Rice, and Apple Sundae, as served on MS Prinsendam December 19, 2013(Chicken for both or us),

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Sharon’s mon living in a Covid hot spot

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

bennybear’s US Relatives with Covid

CrabbyPatti’s dad with dementia

RIP Ian Finkel

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional posters including CJcruiser

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

superoma picking up groceries for others

Belated 49th Anniversary Congratulations for Rowsby

Durangoscot’s helpful neighbor

Horizon Chaser’s perfect timing at Cosco

First jab for 65gator

Hearing from DeeniEncinetas

Moderna vaccine approved

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good Saturday morning.

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting that it's Evergreen Day.  I heard on the radio that there are shortages of "real" Christmas trees in some areas.  Everyone seems to want one this year, and the tree growers can't keep up with the demand.    I'd love an oatmeal muffin with my tea.

The dinner suggestion sounds good.  I was wondering what to make for dinner, now I know, thanks.

Looking forward to reading about the Drink of the Day and the wine.

Praying for everyone on the Care List.  A toast to everyone celebrating.

Stay safe.

• Like 14

I agree with the theory that people are decorating early and enthusiastically this year!  Stocks of trees and decorations are getting low.

Yesterday a friend told me that the lights on their old pre-lit tree didn’t work anymore, and she was going to have to try to find a new one.  Her family is in the middle of a move, tight budget, two small kids —-   I decided to go to the Big Box Hotdog Store, and surprise her with a new Christmas tree.  Nope.  They were completely sold out.  I had better luck at the Blue Hardware Store, as they still had a few, including one with the features I wanted.  

DH and I played Santa’s helpers by dropping in on her settling-in chaos.  She was excited and grateful, but I think I was the happiest by doing the unexpected in the true spirit of Christmas.  Her face and laughter were the best.

Happy last week of prep, Dailyites!

• Like 22

Thank for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

If people haven’t looked for an evergreen they certainly will be today with less than a week before Christmas.  Wreaths are a plenty here in our neighbourhood, for sure.

LOL on Cohen’s quote.  That’s probably more true than we can know 😉 

Meal sounds good but I was gifted goodies last night from kind neighbours (with mask of course).  One of them brought me fresh salmon so I have it to cook  for DH.  Another neighbour must have known it was bake day and delivered a tray of sweets.  They are all DH’s as I am not allowed to chew.  DH has eaten a few already (and Miko has stolen one) but here they are:

E34B4E82-012F-45E9-A120-B84CD4D81FFD.thumb.jpeg.4718365c89d714740cbcc6f054489ebf.jpeg

I’ve never had Jell-O shots.  I am so deprived 😉. I’ll wait to see summer’s description.  I am allowed Jello since you can smush it with a fork 😉 

Since yesterday was the last day of Hanukkah:

1B3235A7-3B22-4F17-9D19-A76A5969031E.jpeg.4da1c8bcfa8244863aa963d02a39b125.jpeg

My surgery put me a behind and I was starting to feel a tad overwhelmed with it all.  Then I remembered how to deal with the elephant one bite at a time:

D241E513-F72A-4913-BFE8-83F4ED4BF70E.jpeg.204d18e3b66f2b9a576a903a9c5c53bc.jpeg

Going to work on that elephant some more today and hopefully finish up.  Then it will be delivery time (with mask of course).

Big warning on the front page of the newspaper from the government to be careful and not let up over Christmas with the “do you want to be in code yellow or code orange in January - your actions will decide it”. Their graphic portrayed the differences quite well and hopefully, sends a message for anyone who was considering a get together.  (The people I know are not gathering this Christmas - we’ll miss them but we’d rather miss one Christmas and know we can have many more to enjoy with them, hopefully).

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone - last one before Christmas.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷.

• Like 21

Happy Saturday!  Still cold here.  Nice group of days.  No tree lots in my town, I'm sure it's the same everywhere.  Wreaths Across America is such a good organization.  Interesting quote.  No thank you for the meal.

Prayers and congratulations for our lists.  Happy the shout out list is growing longer.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your hard work.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Santa Hat Jell-O-Shots:

Ingredients
  • 1¼ c. water
  • ¾ c. vodka
  • 1 package strawberry jell-o (3-oz)
  • 1 container Cool Whip, thawed
  • 1 pint strawberries, hulled

Instructions
  1. Pour water into small saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and add Jell-o packet, stirring until dissolved. Add vodka. Pour into plastic shot glasses and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
  2. Top with a dollop of Cool Whip, then place a strawberry on top, pointed-end up. Top with a small dot of whipped cream, to resemble Santa’s hat. Serve.

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 7.37.07 AM.png

• Like 17

Good morning all.  Hopefully our northern friends are digging out of the snow.  Here it is cold but warmer weather and rain are on the way.  We sure have had plenty of rain the last few months.  Many years ago we had a severe drought in NC.  In Raleigh, we almost ran out of water.  We finally got rain and I promised myself to never complain about rain again.

In a cruise/virus related note.  I just read a NYT article that employers can require their employees to get jabbed.  That may help off set some of the non vaccinators.

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Happy Saturday!  Still cold here.  Nice group of days.  No tree lots in my town, I'm sure it's the same everywhere.  Wreaths Across America is such a good organization.  Interesting quote.  No thank you for the meal.

Prayers and congratulations for our lists.  Happy the shout out list is growing longer.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your hard work.

Santa Hat Jell-O-Shots:

Ingredients
  • 1¼ c. water
  • ¾ c. vodka

Instructions
  1. Pour water into small saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and add Jell-o packet, stirring until dissolved. Add vodka. Pour into plastic shot glasses and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
  2. Top with a dollop of Cool Whip, then place a strawberry on top, pointed-end up. Top with a small dot of whipped cream, to resemble Santa’s hat. Serve.

Oh that’s cute!  Thanks!

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

DH and I played Santa’s helpers by dropping in on her settling-in chaos.  She was excited and grateful, but I think I was the happiest by doing the unexpected in the true spirit of Christmas.  Her face and laughter were the best.

Such a lovely gesture ❤️ And in the true spirit of Christmas.  Thank you for sharing your wonderful story 🙂 

• Like 6

Thank you for our Daily gathering place, Rich! Love today’s combo of days, though I do not believe an oatmeal muffin is in my future. I used to volunteer with the Wreaths Across America organization when I lived in the DC area. I still donate to them each year.

Roy, thank you for being so vigilant in keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Joy thank you for “calling” Sis - it worked!❤️  We have a red wine today. Thought provoking quote. Will need to look up the meal suggestion. Not sure what is on the menu here tonight. Summer - how fun the Jell-O shots look.

@Live4cruiseshow special of you to surprise your friend!

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. 
Stay well everyone!

This Napa Cab has spectacular ratings and a price to match. I found it online with a starting price of $139.99. This is the first wine I have seen where “sarsaparilla” is mentioned in the review.

#2 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon has great elegance and power. Ripe raspberry and sarsaparilla highlight the aromatics on the nose. Layered notes of dried lavender and wet slate highlight both vineyard site and winemaking style. On the palate this wine's fresh acidity and gravelly minerality lead to great focus at the finish and compliment notes of fig, leather and cacao. 

WS96 Wine Spectator: Youthfully compact, with tightly wound black currant, bitter plum and dark blueberry notes, this will need time to meld with the charcoal, bay leaf and tar streaks, but the mouthwatering cut on the finish suggests that won’t be a problem. Offers a long echo of juniper at the end. Best from 2023 through 2040.
  • Like 17

Good morning and thanks for the update.

It’s a cold and sunny day here but not snowing. Supposed to warm up next week.

I just looked at the PE schedule and *****Nieuw Statendam is listed for December 27 and January 15. Hopefully it’s true 🙏

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 14

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily.

Good morning sisters Ann and Denise, Roy, Jacqui, summer, Father etc.. Roy thanks for prayers and toasts list, and you are in my thoughts today. Thank you to all who contribute. Jacqui, you can always freeze a few cookies til you are able to eat again. They look delicious!

@Live4cruises how thoughtful for being a Christmas angel for a friend. I recall having you in my prayers for a time.

My sister sent us a 41 inch Christmas tree knowing we sold and gave away all our Christmas stuff before moving. We were supposed to be cruising and Maui for the winter months. Hoping this is the only year we will decorate and can enjoy one of our HAL cruises with decorations galore next year!

We still have not been given information on when our vaccines will be in Georgetown. A few hospitals here received them for hospital staff. Hope it comes soon.

We are having a beautiful rain that started last night. It is already 56 here at 7:30. Claudio and his guys came by yesterday afternoon and surprised us by planting winter plants out front and laying fresh mulch in front and back yards. He installed the dishwasher, washer and dryer we gave him to a family in need. He said they were thrilled. 

I will google smokey Spanish chicken, it sounds interesting. Tonight will be lamb.

God bless all, have a great weekend, stay safe, we are nearing light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 17

We're having a sunny but cold morning here in north central Georgia.  Somehow the sunshine always makes you feel better, doesn't it?

I'd like to share that I have brand new next door neighbors who moved in Tuesday of this week.  They seem nice and quite friendly (which the previous occupants were not).  But last night I got a huge surprise when I looked outside and saw that they had installed white lights on the trunk of their street tree, like the rest of us in our neighborhood already have.  Only the third day in their house, and I'm sure very busy unpacking boxes and putting things together over there - yet they found the time to show us they are happy to be here in our little neighborhood.  I bet they've even unpacked their Christmas tree and started work on that.  I don't know that for sure because I don't want to bother them during all the work of settling in.  But I welcome these new neighbors and hope they stay here with us a long, long time.  🙂

• Like 19

Thank you Rich and Roy.

Thanks to all who share and care😊.

I am sad that we will not be with our family for the Holidays, but I intend to make up for it, after we get our shots and its safe to be with them. HUGS TO ALL OUT THERE.

Please wear a mask when needed.

• Like 14

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Christmas trees have been flying off the lots ever since they opened - a friend of ours runs one and went through 2,700 in 3 days.  He had a total of 3,000, and kept back 300 to donate to people throughout the city; he's a real gem.  I love oatmeal muffins, but haven't made any in a long while, so today might be just the day to do that.

Yesterday I made up 2 large gift trays of baking and treats to be delivered to friends (socially distanced) today; it will be nice getting most of that baking out of the house, as DH and I are known to snack from time to time.  LOL

I like the menu suggestions today, but I have a pkg of ground beef thawing in the fridge; it will likely be turned into tacos for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Speaking of wine - today's has notes of slate, gravel, charcoal, and tar - it sounds like something we should be driving on, rather than drinking.  However, I'm willing to try it and take one for the team . . . 

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the gravelly wine glasses tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 19

My neighbor tried to buy a tree, went to several different places without success. Finally she found one at a discount store, not what she wanted but will do. She is usually away at the holidays and did not think it would be a problem.  

Just watched Spacex launch another rocket. The booster actually returned back to the Space Center after lifting the payload.  It is beautiful to watch and of course it rattled all my windows!  The Disney ship was turned so they could watch too.  The technology is amazing!

Be safe everyone !

• Like 16

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Santa Hat Jell-O-Shots:

Ingredients
  • 1¼ c. water
  • ¾ c. vodka

Instructions

Sounds good.!

• Like 5

Rich:  Thank you for the fleet report.  I am curios as to the number og HAL ships heading to the Pacific.  Are we putting the Alaska fleet into position?  I wonder.  I woner if Copper 10/8 has gone over to see the Nieuw Amsterdam off Los Angeles?

• Like 4

The Jewish Butter cookies turned out fine yesterday. We decided to hold off on the Swedish Oatmeal cookies until this morning. I'll get some photos once they are all done. We will share a few with our neighbors - need to get on their good side since we are the new kids on the block! 

I helped our son put up a mirror and shelving at his new house yesterday. Now I know what to get him for Christmas - Power Tools!

We gave the squirrels a present too, their own feeder - 

20201217_121901.thumb.jpg.7d86cbf2ffe434e0a90772d48bcc6724.jpg20201217_122013.thumb.jpg.e8de226eb2c5cb39f99ae7ec1dd1bfa5.jpg20201217_122006.thumb.jpg.e2d4e326aa79fbf06b2608848d9c73bd.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 3

My Shutterfly app on my phone sent me a Memories notification this morning and it was a video of Christmas Past which they make up out of my photos taken on Christmas Day .  Makes me want to weep to see all of us together in front of the beautiful tree, proudly showing off the Christmas turkey, and even the granddog Gracie playing with her new "hide the treat" gift.  

That prompted me to look at some photos from the last few Christmases and I saw these photos taken on Dec. 19, 2018 of the chefs on Pacific Princess setting up the Christmas village in the tiny atrium.  There's a railroad, a bridge, and an awful lot of snow!

enhance

enhance

• Like 19

Good Saturday All,

Looks like we have another sunny day with the promise of more Santa Ana winds coming for the next few days. At least now we have some moisture in the air.

Today’s project is to bake and decorate cookies to put on a miniature tree for Dad. I haven’t worked with Royal Icing in over 40 years. I just detest it’s flavor so don’t use it. But the cookies will need the strength. 

Here’s some pictures from our final sea day on Veendam in 2015. Around noon we left Cabo to starboard. My habit has been to do the pinnacle on my last night aboard. Some of my penguins joined the now complete gingerbread village.

E4477687-B9A6-4654-9AB1-5FDA4F03709E.jpeg

088DC447-7290-429E-AB2D-CF0378ACAEDA.jpeg

748506E7-955F-4775-8B3B-0465B950C387.jpeg

4EB8F8DA-7A3A-44B1-ABB4-A7BCD9AF2D14.jpeg

5E9DD4BD-E586-4BDB-B81D-E014825C9322.jpeg

6CF4FCBB-4451-4941-AAE0-B1095318DA2D.jpeg

CDE22088-4FD2-4C38-A8B0-95BDB0B68FB4.jpeg

FBDF259F-882D-4C50-B743-70C25B98627F.jpeg

A2391E1B-D38C-46F8-9840-80CA052D744D.jpeg
Post dinner waddle around the Promenade Deck.

E05051AF-E414-4CFC-87A7-93821C5FBE04.jpeg

This was my 3rd cruise on Veendam, for a total of 5 weeks, and I had just discovered this stairway.

F1E4B81B-C58E-4E6E-809E-E6506977DB93.jpeg

3DE2CBB9-7BC0-4107-A9EB-CB6777C6BB44.jpeg

CF962558-76F6-466C-8FF1-C431F2A440DF.jpeg

A975D3E1-F0A7-486A-9883-97748699051E.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 19