What was your worst experience on a cruise ship?

ontheweb

I've told this story before on Cruise Critic.  It was actually before the cruise.  Hope it counts.

We arrived at the New Orleans port to board.  No ship.  We were told it was delayed.  Later found out it was diverted to Key West to offload a sick passenger.

No one was allowed inside the building.  At first there were lines, but that quickly disintegrated as busloads from the airport arrived and people just pushed in toward the doors.  Parking was a nightmare since the cars were still there from the passengers already on board from the last cruise.

Once the outlet mall closed there were no restrooms, no food, no place to sit down.  If you had to use the restroom they would take your passport at the door to the building and give it back when you came back outside.  No food, nothing to drink.  They brought out some sandwiches and water but it disappeared very quickly.

The ship finally arrived around 5:30 p.m.  You all know it takes a while to dock, unload the luggage and the passengers.  I don't know exactly what time they started allowing people into the building but it was a stampede.  We hung back, but finally reached the security checkpoint.  We were herded into groups and told to sit down until our group was called.  Like sheep, we obeyed, but were among the few that obeyed.  People were pushing and shoving to get into lines to check in.  To make matters worse, some of the employees who were to check people in decided their shift was over and went home.  So they were short on staff.   I finally told my husband our "group" was never going to get called so we joined the throng.  We checked in and again were told where to sit until we were called.  Once again we tried to comply.  We finally realized there were only about a dozen or so of us left sitting.  We finally got to our cabin around midnight.  Not sure when the ship actually sailed since we collapsed into bed.

There is no way we blamed the ship for diverting, and the mess outside was probably not under the control of the cruise line.  They somehow made up some of the time but our first stop was cut short.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, iancal said:

The only bad experience is having  disembark on the final day of a wonderful cruise.

OP here, and my original post was not only about a disembark, but a disembark from hell.

We actually once had what I would consider a good disembark. It was an excursion from Dover to Heathrow airport with a stop in Canterbury. There were very few on the bus, I think 10 or 12. And we knew 4 of them from our roll call, the other couple on the roll call who were celebrating a wedding anniversary on the cruise and their 2 college age daughters. It made it seem like we were still on the cruise as opposed to leaving for the airport. Plus we had a great guide for the parts before Canterbury, and Canterbury where we were all on our own was wonderful.

We were hoping for something similar on the cruise we had booked for the past summer where we were going to Heathrow from Southampton with a stop in Stonehenge (a place definitely on our bucket list).

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The attitude makes me think that some people have made serious mistakes in picking their careers.

I like my job but still think that a day on a cruise is better. That's why I'm paid to work and have to pay to be on a cruise! If I should prefer to work I should defenitely never cruise!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I like my job but still think that a day on a cruise is better. That's why I'm paid to work and have to pay to be on a cruise! If I should prefer to work I should defenitely never cruise!

Nevermind....clearly I am not coherently making my point that one CAN have a day on a cruise that is WORSE than one's BEST day at work.  It is just one of those statements that should be specific, but most take to be general.

I understand there are some who simply cannot grasp that a passenger from, say, the Costa Concordia might not think that the day they abandoned ship was not better than the day they won "Employee of the Month" at work, or snagged a new client, or got a nice Christmas bonus, or helped a child learn something new that they were struggling with.

(Taking off pedantic editor hat now and donning protective gear instead....🤷‍♀️)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

(Taking off pedantic editor hat now and donning protective gear instead....🤷‍♀️)

Please -- drop the diffidence!  Retain the cattle prod - and continue to apply it as necessary.

If people took time (or perhaps simply possessed the ability) to think, they would get your point.  You should not cater to folk lacking the necessary ability or willingness.

I have had many days at work where things went right, when junior staff finally got the point, when I may have received some recognition, when a troubled student finally grasped something which had eluded him,  or just felt what I was doing was generally really worth while.  And, while on cruises, there have been some bad weather days, interactions with loutish fellow cruisers, interminable delays and or frustrations which cast a bad tone.

Anyone who's working life is regularly and reliably worse than the worst he has experienced on a cruise should get a new job.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Thanks 1

We believe that the key to having great travel experiences, cruises or otherwise, is to leave your sense of entitlement at home, don't assume that how you do things at home is the 'right' way that everyone else in the world should follow, and be flexible enough to adapt to changes and move forward.

Seems to me that those who do this have far fewer unhappy cruise or travel experiences.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Nevermind....clearly I am not coherently making my point that one CAN have a day on a cruise that is WORSE than one's BEST day at work.  It is just one of those statements that should be specific, but most take to be general.

I understand there are some who simply cannot grasp that a passenger from, say, the Costa Concordia might not think that the day they abandoned ship was not better than the day they won "Employee of the Month" at work, or snagged a new client, or got a nice Christmas bonus, or helped a child learn something new that they were struggling with.

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I really think that every expensive day on vacation should be better than every day at work. I'm sure that every passenger on Costa Concordia or Titanic should have prefered to be at work that special day but I was not there so I have not experienced that. 

Edited by sverigecruiser

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

OP here, and my original post was not only about a disembark, but a disembark from hell.

We actually once had what I would consider a good disembark. It was an excursion from Dover to Heathrow airport with a stop in Canterbury. There were very few on the bus, I think 10 or 12. And we knew 4 of them from our roll call, the other couple on the roll call who were celebrating a wedding anniversary on the cruise and their 2 college age daughters. It made it seem like we were still on the cruise as opposed to leaving for the airport. Plus we had a great guide for the parts before Canterbury, and Canterbury where we were all on our own was wonderful.

We were hoping for something similar on the cruise we had booked for the past summer where we were going to Heathrow from Southampton with a stop in Stonehenge (a place definitely on our bucket list).

Re a disembark from hell.I have posted this previously but it bears repeating.Several years ago Mrs.66 and I were on line to an exit.In front of me was a couple .Suddenly the husband ran about 10 feet apparently in the belief that an elderly women was walking to slow and began punching her .We all stood in disbelief as did the guys wife.Passengers ran to help the woman as well as armed security officers who removed the guy from the line and took him off some where.

I've told this one before...

P&O Aurora in Casablanca- the crew had spread plastic coverings on the departure and lift carpets, as the docks are dirty.

We were sitting upstairs before going ashore, and noticed that excursion passengers were wading through a thick, black oily substance. We watched in amazement as a female office, wearing white leather shoes, kept trying to rub the black stuff off on the carpet laid on the dock to the gate, and saw people in flip flops with their toes covered in the stuff. We stayed on the ship.

The captain spoke that night, and told us that there had been a spillage of black molasses all over our dock... he was not amused.

A few months later- P&O Ventura- we were again in Casablanca, and a small unmanned crane on rails rolled down the dock and smashed the aft corner balcony.

Again, the captain- a different one- was not amused.

Not exactly a disaster for us, but both were for the crew. 

• Like 1

About 20 years ago I was on ncl and a ring my father had given me went missing , informed security, they sent over a officer and others to search the cabin , was told they did a thorough search and there was no ring. We then searched the cabin and didn’t find my ring but found other rings and jewelry that was left by a previous passenger. My ring which was given to my dad when he entered the army in WW two, was never found.

• Like 1

Many interesting posts and I thank those who have done so.  Keep them coming, I hope.

My worst and most disappointing sailing was a trans-Atlantic crossing on QE2 in 1980.  Labor issues aboard the ship impacted stateroom service, dining room service, and even High Tea in the Queen's Lounge.  My traveling companion and I were sailing in Tourist Class, but he had friend's in First Class and they experienced the same disappointing "White Star Service".  

There was one Deck Steward that served me on an open deck in windy, cool weather that was exemplary.  He was, I think, a more experienced Cunard veteran and not some of the "young'uns" on the crew that seemed to be unhappy with their working situation.  

3 hours ago, jocap said:

I've told this one before...

P&O Aurora in Casablanca- the crew had spread plastic coverings on the departure and lift carpets, as the docks are dirty.

We were sitting upstairs before going ashore, and noticed that excursion passengers were wading through a thick, black oily substance. We watched in amazement as a female office, wearing white leather shoes, kept trying to rub the black stuff off on the carpet laid on the dock to the gate, and saw people in flip flops with their toes covered in the stuff. We stayed on the ship.

The captain spoke that night, and told us that there had been a spillage of black molasses all over our dock... he was not amused.

A few months later- P&O Ventura- we were again in Casablanca, and a small unmanned crane on rails rolled down the dock and smashed the aft corner balcony.

Again, the captain- a different one- was not amused.

Not exactly a disaster for us, but both were for the crew. 

I visited Casablanca on HAL's Westerdam some years back, we were lucky, no dock problems.  But your story reminds me of getting off a ship in the port  near Rome.  It had rained the night before and the dock was like a swimming pool.  What made it bad is we were not warned about the deep rain puddles at all... so as you walked off the gangway into shoe deep water.  I thought I doubt they would have passengers board in this mess.  It was like well the cruise over... you are on your own.  I don't recall which cruise lines, have done Princess, HAL, Cunard, Celebrity in and out of Rome many times.  This was the worst. 

• Like 1

It wasn't a bad cruise.... but it was interesting..... our first cruise.... bad weather 5.5m seas and at one stage 70 knot winds across the deck....  missed 3 ports......since then we have had...a fire on board... possible man overboard,,, more missed port....

All in all we have always had a great time on board.... we have learnt to go with the flow...

one day we can do it all again...      Don

• Like 1

What was your worst experience on a cruise ship?

A DCL "Kids Sail Free" cruise......

Kids everywhere, making a mess in the self serve ice cream station, running up and down the aisles during theater performances, taking over the pools.  Not a parent in sight.  I guess the parents didn't take the cruise, only the kids.

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

One one of our earliest cruises, there were several announcements using a code, which meant nothing to us.

Suddenly we all noticed smoke curling up the nearest staircase, and the announcement was for the fire crew to assemble.... outside the mortuary.

The man sitting near us remarked that he'd heard of burials at sea, but never cremations...

Luckily it was quickly dealt with and everything returned to normal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

It wasn't a bad cruise.... but it was interesting..... our first cruise.... bad weather 5.5m seas and at one stage 70 knot winds across the deck....  missed 3 ports......since then we have had...a fire on board... possible man overboard,,, more missed port....

All in all we have always had a great time on board.... we have learnt to go with the flow...

What excitement!  Other than a waste basket fire in a crew cabin, that was maybe the most dangerous event that I have had.  

We stopped 'sweating the small stuff' a long time ago.   There are already too many uptight people in this world-it does not need two more.

Go with flow, enjoy the good things.   We do a fair bit of spontaneous travel.  This attitude has served us well on land travel and on cruises. 

We feel incredibly fortunate to have the health, the desire, and the finances to travel as much as we do.  This helps to provide focus on what is important and what is noise level nonsense.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

What excitement!  Other than a waste basket fire in a crew cabin, that was maybe the most dangerous event that I have had.  

It was an exciting first cruise,,, a 13 nighter.... by the third day we were hooked.... now have 100+ days at sea.....   

The man over board was interesting... we just back to our cabin for the night... and suddenly noticed the ship list... having an aft cabin looked out and saw we were turning ..... then the captain announced... there was a unconfirmed report of a person over board... and could everybody go to there cabins as well as crew ... took about 45 minutes to do a complete head count of 2500 passengers and 1400 crew.... and happily everybody was a counted for... and after stopping to pickup the beacon ( drop over board when reported to mark position ) we continued on our way..

Don 

• Like 3

I worked onboard the Carnival Fantasy in 2007. I was an Entertainment Technician, meaning I was one of the people in charge of the entertainment systems (not audio-visual related). Specifically, my area was backstage. We also had a sound technician and a lighting technician. We got paid an extra $50 an hour for special events the guests ordered.

A dance school was celebrating the end of their season and wanted to do their final recital in the main lounge with all the lights and sound. They expected the Cruise Director to put their event in the event schedule, I think Carnival Cruise Lines call them the “Fun Times,” so everybody on board would know to come watch them. Again, Carnival Cruise Line does not allow such advertising. Also, this wasn’t a big name, important dance school you would expect to do this. Just a regular, local dance school for kids from age five to eighteen (I guess). The main lounge on the Fantasy held around 750 people, but only parents and teachers from the class came to the performances. They booked two performances during the cruise, both at 7am, during the show change.

They booked two performances during the cruise, both at 7am, DURING THE SHOW CHANGE.

I just think it was important enough to point that out twice. Now hold on, because this story gets better.

This group were paying three technicians $50 an hour (maybe $100 because it was a full technical show) in a basically empty lounge. I don’t know what the event coordinator for Carnival Cruise Line told them would be available but they didn’t like that I wouldn’t unlock the dressing room for them to use. We had expensive costumes and props in there, no unauthorized people were allowed in those rooms. That was the first issue I had to “smooth over” for them. There wasn’t a lot of backstage area as this was during show change and we had a lot of extra equipment stored on the stage, effectively cutting the performance area in half from upstage. The best I could offer them for a changing area was between the mid-stage and upstage curtain. I can understand their unhappiness of having young girls change clothes with a giant dude like myself standing backstage. I wasn’t comfortable with the situation either but that’s all I could offer them.

Finally, and most spectacularly, during their second performance the electrical officer and one of his electricians showed up backstage and began working on some wiring directly behind where I was standing. It’s not like it wasn’t obvious something was happening in the lounge. The lights were out except for the stage lights. Music was playing. There were people in costumes but these guys did. not. care. Also, they were making a lot of noise. Katie and the sound technician heard it up in the booth. I was already yelling at the electricians that they can’t be here right now.

You ever try to argue with an Italian man who out ranks you? It’s not fun. He starts yelling back at me, in broken English/Italian, about how they must do this work right now. “FIX! FIX! FIX! FIX!” and “When can we work!?” I think is what he was yelling. Although the question was more rhetorical as my answer of “Anytime after we are finished here!” was not good enough. Those are also not direct quotes because it was 13 years ago.

On top of that the most Karenest of Karens is immediately to my right yelling at me these guys can’t be here because they have naked little girls over here. As if I was not aware of that being a problem. ALSO Katie is yelling at me over headset to get the electricians out of there, they can’t be there right now. Meanwhile, the show on stage is still going forward. To summarize, I’m being yelled out three ways, in two different languages, one person doing it remotely.

Eventually the guys left and the show ended. It must have been uneventful because I can’t remember anything beyond that moment of arguing.

You can read more of my time onboard Carnival Cruise Lines at my blog: I F'n Love Cruising

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jeremyosborne81 said:

I worked onboard the Carnival Fantasy in 2007. I was an Entertainment Technician, meaning I was one of the people in charge of the entertainment systems (not audio-visual related). Specifically, my area was backstage. We also had a sound technician and a lighting technician. We got paid an extra $50 an hour for special events the guests ordered.

A dance school was celebrating the end of their season and wanted to do their final recital in the main lounge with all the lights and sound. They expected the Cruise Director to put their event in the event schedule, I think Carnival Cruise Lines call them the “Fun Times,” so everybody on board would know to come watch them. Again, Carnival Cruise Line does not allow such advertising. Also, this wasn’t a big name, important dance school you would expect to do this. Just a regular, local dance school for kids from age five to eighteen (I guess). The main lounge on the Fantasy held around 750 people, but only parents and teachers from the class came to the performances. They booked two performances during the cruise, both at 7am, during the show change.

They booked two performances during the cruise, both at 7am, DURING THE SHOW CHANGE.

I just think it was important enough to point that out twice. Now hold on, because this story gets better.

This group were paying three technicians $50 an hour (maybe $100 because it was a full technical show) in a basically empty lounge. I don’t know what the event coordinator for Carnival Cruise Line told them would be available but they didn’t like that I wouldn’t unlock the dressing room for them to use. We had expensive costumes and props in there, no unauthorized people were allowed in those rooms. That was the first issue I had to “smooth over” for them. There wasn’t a lot of backstage area as this was during show change and we had a lot of extra equipment stored on the stage, effectively cutting the performance area in half from upstage. The best I could offer them for a changing area was between the mid-stage and upstage curtain. I can understand their unhappiness of having young girls change clothes with a giant dude like myself standing backstage. I wasn’t comfortable with the situation either but that’s all I could offer them.

Finally, and most spectacularly, during their second performance the electrical officer and one of his electricians showed up backstage and began working on some wiring directly behind where I was standing. It’s not like it wasn’t obvious something was happening in the lounge. The lights were out except for the stage lights. Music was playing. There were people in costumes but these guys did. not. care. Also, they were making a lot of noise. Katie and the sound technician heard it up in the booth. I was already yelling at the electricians that they can’t be here right now.

You ever try to argue with an Italian man who out ranks you? It’s not fun. He starts yelling back at me, in broken English/Italian, about how they must do this work right now. “FIX! FIX! FIX! FIX!” and “When can we work!?” I think is what he was yelling. Although the question was more rhetorical as my answer of “Anytime after we are finished here!” was not good enough. Those are also not direct quotes because it was 13 years ago.

On top of that the most Karenest of Karens is immediately to my right yelling at me these guys can’t be here because they have naked little girls over here. As if I was not aware of that being a problem. ALSO Katie is yelling at me over headset to get the electricians out of there, they can’t be there right now. Meanwhile, the show on stage is still going forward. To summarize, I’m being yelled out three ways, in two different languages, one person doing it remotely.

Eventually the guys left and the show ended. It must have been uneventful because I can’t remember anything beyond that moment of arguing.

You can read more of my time onboard Carnival Cruise Lines at my blog: I F'n Love Cruising

Wow, that's an incredible story!

• Like 1