The Daily for Monday Dec 28, 2020

richwmn

@StLouisCruisers  Love all the pictures of Antarctica, especially the penguins! We were booked for the Grand South America which included Antarctica for Jan.21 but was cancelled. Hopefully another time! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 3

Good morning, all! Call a Friend sounds like a good idea today. I think pepper steak would make a nice change from turkey!

The rain has finally stopped, and the temperature is dropping slightly. We’ll have a nice view of the mountains on our walk today in all their winter glory. Aside from that, not much is planned for today, so I may be able to design a bag or two and start getting them together.

Alternate plan, drink coffee and watch Rizu play in the garden.

Stay safe, and Happy Monday from the elevator mats, wherever they may be.

0374F7C2-8321-4399-B982-12FED4119F50.jpeg

• Like 10

Good morning from a very cloudy southwestern Arizona.  There are some heavy showers showing up on the radar west and southwest of here.  Unfortunately, if the radar prediction is correct and they continue moving northeast, they will miss us.  We really need the rain.  So far the high winds predicted for today have not arrived.

I'll pass on the meal suggestions since it will be leftovers tonight after having homemade pizza yesterday.  Who knew that a 5.5 pound chicken could last so long.  We have at least two more meals from our Christmas dinner.

Like the quote.  Rich enjoy your time on the island.

Enjoyed the pictures of the penguins and the overview by the drone.  We have flown over antarctica on a HAL excursion about 22 years ago.  This was on the old Noordam before HAL was doing antarctica.  Some of the flat top icebergs were big enough that the 727 we were in could have landed on them.  Pictures of the icebergs are amazing, but do not really show the scope of those bergs.

Lenda

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, ddr said:

Enjoyed the Antarctica pictures.

My view this morning in San Diego:  Westerdam

Westerdam in SD 12-28-2020.JPG

Thank you and welcome to the Daily.  Based on your signature, possibly also welcome to the HAL forum.  Probably not an awful lot of us around who have sailed on the Leeward.

Roy

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, ddr said:

Enjoyed the Antarctica pictures.

My view this morning in San Diego:  Westerdam

Westerdam in SD 12-28-2020.JPG

Oh, oh! I do so want to be in San Diego.  I was just doing some research and it looks like Horton Plaza is no more - I'm so sad!  Macy's is so far away now from the Gaslamp District.  I'm longing to shop.  Hope the border opens soon and we can at least get to Bellingham, WA!

Good morning, all, thanks to Rich and Roy for the Daily news, and Roy for the picture of all of us on Zoom!  We will have to do it again!  Do you have some special sort of membership, Roy, to be able to set up a meeting?

We also had a wonderful expedition to Antarctica - this was my favourite photo DD took of a chinstrap on Half Moon Island (not to be confused with Half Moon Cay!!)  This fellow had struggled (you can see the marks of his flippers) to get right up to the top of the little island and now sat there as King, waiting for the Queen!

P1010806.thumb.jpeg.82d039c6e6758bfca2660c2335286ec7.jpeg

• Like 15

Good morning!  I'm even later than usual today.  Looks like a gorgeous day of sunshine, I plan to enjoy it to the fullest as more (and more) rain will arrive on Wednesday through -- who knows??

@rafinmdRoy thank you for posting the photos from the Zoom gallery. 🙂  I need to see about learning how to use DH's laptop for any future Zoom meetings.  So funny to just see my CC handle up there. 😉  I think I also heard that we can use our iphones?  

@StLouisCruisersI loved your photos from Antarctica!  I've had that on my bucket list for awhile, now I want to go even more.

Rich, enjoy your time at St. Simon's Island!

@ger_77so sad about your friend.  67 seems SO young. 😞  

Well our fire pit arrived yesterday!  And a beautiful day to try it out with any neighbors who want to join in for some outdoor social distancing. 🙂  Our DD sent us home with some mulled wine on Christmas.  I'm not usually a fan of reds, but this smells oh so good, it just might be great around that fire.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Oh, oh! I do so want to be in San Diego.  I was just doing some research and it looks like Horton Plaza is no more - I'm so sad!  Macy's is so far away now from the Gaslamp District.  I'm longing to shop.  Hope the border opens soon and we can at least get to Bellingham, WA!

Good morning, all, thanks to Rich and Roy for the Daily news, and Roy for the picture of all of us on Zoom!  We will have to do it again!  Do you have some special sort of membership, Roy, to be able to set up a meeting?

We also had a wonderful expedition to Antarctica - this was my favourite photo DD took of a chinstrap on Half Moon Island (not to be confused with Half Moon Cay!!)  This fellow had struggled (you can see the marks of his flippers) to get right up to the top of the little island and now sat there as King, waiting for the Queen!

P1010806.thumb.jpeg.82d039c6e6758bfca2660c2335286ec7.jpeg

I love the chinstrap penguins.  They look like London bobbies.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you and welcome to the Daily.  Based on your signature, possibly also welcome to the HAL forum.  Probably not an awful lot of us around who have sailed on the Leeward.

Roy

Not the Leeward, but the Windward, and later Norwegian Wind.  Also Norwegian Dynasty.  Before we discovered HAL.  😀

• Like 3

I've been waiting for a moderator to contact me somehow after I reported a problem to them and explained the issue.  Perhaps they didn't get it!  So I will try again to post the last two photos which are of our Deception Island visit on Day 1 in Antarctica.

The evening of the Yankee Harbor visit our Captain, the wonderful Dag Dvergastein, was able to sail inside the volcanic cauldron called Deception Island.  The weather was calm which was a necessity due to the narrow opening to the cauldron.

enhance

And inside you can see one of the abandoned whaling stations.  I believe this one is called Hektor, a Norwegian whaling station.  Appropriate since our Captain was Norwegian.

enhance

On Dec. 29, 2016 we will set foot on the actual continent of Antarctica when we visit Neko Harbor.  Yankee Harbor is on one of Antarctica's islands so technically not on the mainland portion.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Ann McCarthy is Vict0rianne bit I'm not sure about The Murrays. I think that's all or have I missed somebody.

Roy

I believe the Murrays are bennybear.

oops sorry, I should have started backwards instead of from what where I left off.  I only saw bennybear replied after I posted.

hanging my head in shared 😳 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

There are several levels of membership.  I have the most basic paid membership which I use for some Fire Department and Scout activities.  I know my church has a more advanced membership which allows multiple logins and multiple hosts which is very useful.

You don't need to be a member at all to be part of a meeting.  There's a free membership which has limited privileges.  A person with a free membership can set up meetings within limits:

1.  Generally, meetings (except with just 2 people) are limited to 40 minutes.

2. It's only internet based, people cannot join by telephone, and cannot use telephone audio from a computer without a speaker.

3. With a free account you cannot upload a photo that appears when you're off camera, it's just a basic screen with your name.

Still, you can set up a meeting with a free account.

Roy

• Like 3

Good evening, everyone!   We had another lazy day here on the shores of Grand Traverse Bay.  It has been mostly overcast, so no sunsets until tonight,  I did brave the cold to go get some two pictures but refused to go out again to get the rest.  The wind is very strong and coming across the lake, it is super cold. So, I shot them through the window and couldn't get around the trees.

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

Edited by dfish
  • Like 14

Snowy day here. Fortunately I was up when the snowplow came for the driveway so I did get my car out of the way. It has snowed lightly most of the day and my nice neighbor shoveled around my car this afternoon. Looks like it may move out this evening. Looks lovely but I am getting a bit old for this. Dogs were happy to go out quickly and then back in. Will clear off and warm a bit tomorrow. Well..... we do need the moisture.

With this weather I did not dog walk at the Humane Society today..... they closed early and the dogs got quick "outs" into the fenced and concrete area and will off and on until the skeleton staff leaves. Fortunately we do not have many dogs in residence right now.

And so things limp along. I should be up for vaccine when we get to next level.... but who knows how many doses they will send. Everyone, take care... between winter and covid this is going to be a rough stretch I feel.

Susan

• Like 10

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

The signature has not been updated in the last ten years, so you can't read too much into it.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1