2021 - Good days or Bad ??

I think it is likely that, with the availability of vaccines, we will win over the virus. Historically, even without vaccines, virulent flu viruses have disappeared after two years or so.

Cruising -  I feel that cruising could re-start in our region by around November 2021. It might be just within a NZ/South Pacific island bubble. Passengers might have to show evidence of vaccination before they can board. Our first booked cruise is in August 2021 and I give it a 50/50 chance of going ahead.

Maybe I am being optimistic about the future, but this attitude has helped me get through this difficult year.

I think it will take much longer than people think for the vaccines to be successful.  Old just received the first person in Aust. in quarantine,  with SA version.  We already have the UK version.  The speed of the spread of the virus via modern transportation is the scary part.  And we are an island with a limited number of Aussies returning from overseas.

I don't think most people will want to cruise until the vaccine is successful.  

7 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I think it is likely that, with the availability of vaccines, we will win over the virus. Historically, even without vaccines, virulent flu viruses have disappeared after two years or so.

Cruising -  I feel that cruising could re-start in our region by around November 2021. It might be just within a NZ/South Pacific island bubble. Passengers might have to show evidence of vaccination before they can board. Our first booked cruise is in August 2021 and I give it a 50/50 chance of going ahead.

Maybe I am being optimistic about the future, but this attitude has helped me get through this difficult year.

I think once Aussies and Kiwis receive the vaccine and Aus/NZ form a bubble, limited to Aussies and Kiwis, small ship cruising in our region is a possibility.  

Reading the current statistics in the USA and UK, cruising is a long way off.  

I'm cruising next week - very relaxed about it! 

The virus will keep mutating - that's what viruses do. So far the experts seem unconcerned about  the mutation - so, so am I e.g. https://theconversation.com/yes-the-coronavirus-mutates-but-that-shouldnt-affect-the-current-crop-of-vaccines-150541 

The biggest issue seems to be the stupidity of governments - WTH is it with NSW not delaying the NYE fireworks - telling people to stay home but still running the fireworks is just nuts. And the complacency of people - in NZ all we have to do is scan a QR code at every business - yet I feel like I'm the only person doing it. 

7 minutes ago, lissie said:

The virus will keep mutating - that's what viruses do. So far the experts seem unconcerned about  the mutation - so, so am I e.g. https://theconversation.com/yes-the-coronavirus-mutates-but-that-shouldnt-affect-the-current-crop-of-vaccines-150541 

The biggest issue seems to be the stupidity of governments - WTH is it with NSW not delaying the NYE fireworks - telling people to stay home but still running the fireworks is just nuts. And the complacency of people - in NZ all we have to do is scan a QR code at every business - yet I feel like I'm the only person doing it. 

Bon Voyage.  Hope you have a great cruise. 

Thanks for Interesting article on mutation.

NSW marches to a different drum to other States, so I'm not surprised.  Like if you go to a restaurant, you can watch the fireworks.  How many people can afford a restaurant with a view on New Year's Eve?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

NSW see the fireworks as international promotion of the state. It. the fireworks, is well known worldwide and eagerly watched.

We did a NYE harbour cruise about 4 years ago and was disappointed as the tour boat, and most other craft, had to stay so far away that the effect was lost not, to mention the delay in sound of the fireworks exploding not in synch. Better view on TV IMO.

51 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I think we may be stuck with the virus. But more under control than even now. I doubt it will ever be eradicated.

I'm with you there. Northerm hemisphere is a mess which will take a long time to sort even with a vaccine as no one is expecting a significant number of people getting their shots until at least mid year. New Zealand is looking better all the time.

14 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I'm with you there. Northerm hemisphere is a mess which will take a long time to sort even with a vaccine as no one is expecting a significant number of people getting their shots until at least mid year. New Zealand is looking better all the time.

Tasmania is my great white hope, at least I can get there by car.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

NSW see the fireworks as international promotion of the state. It. the fireworks, is well known worldwide and eagerly watched.

We did a NYE harbour cruise about 4 years ago and was disappointed as the tour boat, and most other craft, had to stay so far away that the effect was lost not, to mention the delay in sound of the fireworks exploding not in synch. Better view on TV IMO.

I agree. We usually watch them on TV but a couple of years ago we were invited to join friends for the RANSA NYE party at Rushcutters Bay. We had a great night despite the rain. The fireworks were beautiful but they went on and on and on, and the amount of smoke was horrendeous. I think they were trying to do too much - too many barges spread out down the harbour and almost too fancy. It will be interesting to see if the shorter and much smaller display is actually better. Quality over quantity hopefully.

I think we will start to see some return to normality in the latter part of the year. The vaccine won't be an instant cure as they are reporting that it only stops you from getting sick from the virus but is still transmissible, so we will need to achieve a high rate of vaccination to knock it back.

I think cruising will start near the end of the year but it won't be cruising as we knew it. There will be restrictions and proof of vaccination will be required. I think it will still be enjoyable but may be more expensive especially if no inside cabins are available.

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Tasmania is my great white hope, at least I can get there by car.

That’s interesting, is the Spirit of Tassie still operating ? You would think that the number of passengers and the time it takes to get to Tassie from Melbourne  would mean that the risk would be too high. After all, as Mick Fuller says ..floating Petrie dishes. 😡😡

25 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

That’s interesting, is the Spirit of Tassie still operating ? You would think that the number of passengers and the time it takes to get to Tassie from Melbourne  would mean that the risk would be too high. After all, as Mick Fuller says ..floating Petrie dishes. 😡😡

The Spirit has been operating for a couple of months or close to it for passengers. 

Leigh

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The Spirit has been operating for a couple of months or close to it for passengers. 

Leigh

My daughters and their camper van are booked on it, assuming they can get through NSW, ACT and Vic. with no outbreaks en route.  It is an on again off again trip!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I think we may be stuck with the virus. But more under control than even now. I doubt it will ever be eradicated.

I agree - same as SARS, MERS, Ebola, AIDS - they haven't disappeared.Even bubonic plague shows up sometimes 

Only time will tell but this current crisis will resolve.

Vaccinations need to be fast tracked in terms of supply and distribution.

Difficult to watch the chaos of continual shutdowns albeit well intentioned.

Meanwhile thousands arrive from hot spots with the risk of transmission to the community.

Agree Tasmania and other places look appealing but the unpredictable continuous shutdowns make travel planning challenging. 

Still want to travel however just hope we can all return to normal asap. 

2 hours ago, pully8 said:

Regarding the fireworks, perhaps it is not possible to ban them contract wise?

We were watching the beautiful display last NYE in the canary islands from a cruise ship.

Little did we know what was ahead.

They have all but banned spectators, you need a permit and that requires a booking at a hospitality venue (as I understand it) but they will go ahead as a TV spectacular, a bit like they were doing with some sports.

• Like 1

Time will tell but I am hopeful that by November we will have some control over the virus with vaccines and such. Cruising may return by November, but I think it will be for limited countries (Aussies, NZ, etc) and only those with proof of vaccine. As for international travel (for us) and international tourists coming that may come by July depending on vaccine effectiveness both here and overseas.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

They have all but banned spectators, you need a permit and that requires a booking at a hospitality venue (as I understand it) but they will go ahead as a TV spectacular, a bit like they were doing with some sports.

Don't you worry the law breakers will be sneaking in.👮‍♂️

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Don't you worry the law breakers will be sneaking in.👮‍♂️

They're already working on it. A news story on the box this morning mentioned that crims on the "dark web" have been scanning images of vaccination related certificates being shown on social media with the intent of replication and sale to those who may want or need them but don't want the jab. This will be a tricky one for LE to get on top of. There'll be no saying good-bye to sanitising, masks, social distancing etc., for a long time to come.

The longer time goes on......    the less I am sure..... it like sitting on the fence....

Going back to rural Victoria for a week on the 15th Jan......

After that,,,,, wait and see...... maybe Tassie ??

or will one still be sitting here in 6 months trying to decide.....

dream time..... Don

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

The longer time goes on......    the less I am sure..... it like sitting on the fence....

Going back to rural Victoria for a week on the 15th Jan......

After that,,,,, wait and see...... maybe Tassie ??

or will one still be sitting here in 6 months trying to decide.....

dream time..... Don

Enjoy your week in rural Vic.  Are you returning to the same place which looked really beautiful?   We visited Moffat Beach, Caloundra holiday house twice this year and have booked it again for next year. Whilst I was always a South Coast girl from youth, I've always liked the unspoilt North Coast.  Brisbane is blessed with the two Coasts, hinterlands and islands.  It always amazes me when people dismiss Brisbane region's many attractions.  

The girls' Tassie trip is on again.  They are travelling to ACT via the Newell Highway well away from NSW hotspots, so they can travel via Vic to Tassie ferry.  Travel research takes on a whole new approach these days.  

• Like 1