The Daily for Sunday Jan 3, 2021

richwmn

We just had Lamb Shank, with mash, carrots, cauliflower and gratin potatoes.  Would love some Baked Alaska, but had to make do with Apple Sponge and creme Anglais (ok custard!).

Must be the first time we matched to one of today's menus. ☺️

I quite enjoy Chateauneuf du Pape but the only bottles in my 'cellar' are magnums (1.5 litre), so I enjoyed some Rioja with the food.  DW only drinks white wine and currently is not drinking alcohol due to her meds.

Must admit that we agree with @Vict0riann Epiphany = Little Christmas = 6th January = Twelfth Night !

I have never heard of Three Kings/Los Tres Reyes being anything other than 6th January. 

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 15

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

We just had Lamb Shank, with mash, carrots, cauliflower and gratin potatoes.  Would love some Baked Alaska, but had to make do with Apple Sponge and creme Anglais (ok custard!).

Must be the first time we matched to one of today's menus. ☺️

I quite enjoy Chateauneuf du Pape but the only bottles in my 'cellar' are magnums (1.5 litre), so I enjoyed some Rioja with the food.  DW only drinks white wine and currently is not drinking alcohol due to her meds.

Must admit that we agree with @Vict0riann Epiphany = Little Christmas = 6th January !

I have never heard of Three Kings/Los Tres Reyes being anything other than 6th January. 

Traditinal Epiphany is January 6th, even though in my country the Catholic Church has transfered it to Sunday for the past 50 years. However Catholics who follow 1962 Missal and celebrate the Latin Mass ad orentum also celebrate on the 6th as do those who ude the Liugy of St. John Chrysestom

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It is lovely having someone agree with me, @VMax1700!  A great start to the new year - I'm usually wrong and Pat is always right....

We are thinking of booking a NS cruise to Iceland in July, if our PCC can get us from Amsterdam to Trieste on the same day we arrive in Amsterdam to catch the Rotterdam's premier cruise.  I'm thinking it will be difficult, will be checking with her on Monday.  We are really risking a lot, 4 cruises in a row.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

It is lovely having someone agree with me, @VMax1700!  A great start to the new year - I'm usually wrong and Pat is always right....

We are thinking of booking a NS cruise to Iceland in July, if our PCC can get us from Amsterdam to Trieste on the same day we arrive in Amsterdam to catch the Rotterdam's premier cruise.  I'm thinking it will be difficult, will be checking with her on Monday.  We are really risking a lot, 4 cruises in a row.

Ann, Pat 'thinks' he is always right, but you 'know' he is always right 😁

KLM have flights from AMS to VCE (Venice Marco Polo) dep Ams 0910 arr VCE 1050 - that may be a bit tight for debarking time.  Next flight is 1145 arr VCE 1325. May be a bit tight as you then have 100 kms to get to Trieste.   Maybe your TA's system will offer more choice.  Sounds like great plans for summer 2021.

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, highscar said:

Re luggage.  We traveled with two small mobility scooters. After a T/A we flew to London. One scooter didn’t make it. Apparently the airline captain ordered some luggage removed because of an overload. The scooter was dropped from the fork lift. It showed up at the hotel the next day with completely ruined wiring. Expensive repair. 

Did the airline refund any of your repair expense?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Good morning all (barely!!)  I'm really late today.  I guess I was trying to celebrate the Festival of Sleep.  Last night was another one of *those nights* when I didn't sleep at all, really not until after 3 or 4 this morning.  So.....I didn't wake up until after 10 this morning, totally a first! 😲

We have never had our luggage completely lost, but many times have had to wait for it a day or two.  Thankfully it never happened at the beginning of a cruise, always on the way home.  One time (non-cruise related) it was when we took our oldest grandson to Yellowstone for his first visit.  Two out of 3 suitcases didn't arrive in Bozeman when we did.  We were told they were still sitting in Seattle.  🙄Alaska told us to go shopping for anything we needed and they would pay for it.  So we found a Walmart in town (try doing a quick shopping with a 3-year-old full of energy after sitting on a plane for hours). 😉  Thank goodness our 2 suitcases were delivered to us late that night, because it was April, cold and snowy.  Our heavy jackets were in those suitcases, and the stores were stocked then for warmer weather.....now we look back and smile at the memory, but I was a bit nervous.

No idea what will be for dinner tonight, I'm feeling slightly under the weather so not a lot sounds good.  Maybe just grilled cheese and soup tonight.  

• Like 13

Good morning all. Tried to post earlier but it said I wasn’t me. It finally liked me so I’d better post fast.  This is the morning at my home but I am further south so about 40 degrees warmer. I love a butternut squash with butter and brown sugar about one a year. And knock on wood, I haven’t lost luggage yet.

1AFFA510-B0B4-48EE-8924-F2A54EC2346D.jpeg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, highscar said:

Re luggage.  We traveled with two small mobility scooters. After a T/A we flew to London. One scooter didn’t make it. Apparently the airline captain ordered some luggage removed because of an overload. The scooter was dropped from the fork lift. It showed up at the hotel the next day with completely ruined wiring. Expensive repair. 

Good grief. I hope the airline made you whole.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. Tried to post earlier but it said I wasn’t me. It finally liked me so I’d better post fast.  This is the morning at my home but I am further south so about 40 degrees warmer. I love a butternut squash with butter and brown sugar about one a year. And knock on wood, I haven’t lost luggage yet.

1AFFA510-B0B4-48EE-8924-F2A54EC2346D.jpeg

Linda, I am happy the real you showed up!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon, everyone.

My worst experience with lost luggage was actually my sister's luggage.  I had made a lovely quilt for her for Christmas.  It was a double bed sized quilt.  She put it in her new suitcase for her trip back to France, where she was living at the time.   She arrived, but the suitcase never did.   Air France said they were sorry about the blanket.  The suitcase never showed up, but I am sure that quilt is on someone's bed.  

When my friend, Alice, and I flew from Málaga to Dublin,  our bags did not arrive.  We had changed planes in DeGaulle, and the nice gentleman in Dublin assured us our bags were there and would come in on a later flight.  He said they would deliver the bags to our hotel that evening, probably around 7:00 pm, even though we would be in County Limerick.  So, off we went.

When we checked into the hotel, we told the clerk we were expecting bags and she said they would be on the lookout.   7:00 pm came and went and no bags.  At 8:00 pm we called.  They said the bags had been delayed and asked us to please call in the morning.  So, I went out and bought a warm shirt (it was November), some underwear and socks.   

In the morning they said they had located one of the bags and were searching for the other.  This seemed to be going backwards from the day before since they had said both were in CDG.  They assured us they would find the missing bag and asked that we call that afternoon to let them know where we were so they could send the bags out. 

That afternoon they said they had both bags and they were just going to send the one on to Kent, England and would hold the other.  I had a major panic attack because my home was Kent, Ohio, USA, not Kent, England.  I finally convinced them of that that fact and asked them to please hold both bags and we would pick them up the next afternoon when we returned to Dublin.  

Of course, that wasn't all that easy because they said we should go to Delta to get them, but no one was working at the Delta claim and wouldn't be back until the next morning.  We finally located them in another terminal at City Jet, or something like that.  What an adventure!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

OMG Debbie!  I'd call it a nightmare.  SO sorry about that quilt (and all the rest!)

I agree.

When it comes to the quilt, I hope that suitcase was truly lost. The alternative would be theft. 

• Like 8

Happy Epiphany Sunday.  Was a beautiful celebration today at Mass. I consider myself so fortunate that we are able to attend church  services in our County, as the various denominations adhere to certain standards for cleaning after services, etc.

My lost luggage story is not one of Lost, but stolen!  We arrived in Skyharbor in Phoenix to absolutely zero of the 3 bags that my DH and I had for a three week trip to Hawaii.  Two weeks in a hotel, and one on the inter-island cruise throughout the state.  Turns out there was a "ring" (actually a couple), who were stealing luggage from the carousels.  Our luggage had gotten on an earlier flight, so we weren't there to immediately grab the bags!  Didn't learn about all of this till over a year later.  Landed at HNL with the clothes on our backs!  Had to do quite a big of shopping that trip.

Today's wine sounds lovely.  I have become quite fond of expensive Red wine since the wine I ordered for Christmas.  Of course, it isn't on the menu except for very special occasions.  I am definitely one of those with "Champagne tastes on a beer budget."

Beautiful sunny day (still very cold), that gives me so much hope for this New Year!

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Himself said:

You really remember your meals, Roy!

Not at all, Father.  They say to a carpenter every problem calls for a hammer.  For an actuary it's a formula or spreadsheet.  When I was diagnosed with diabetes I started very carefully monitoring what I eat, and for most days since 2002 have a spreadsheet I used to keep track, especially of estimated calories.  That and posting my ship menus in my blogs since I started sailing HAL regularly give me the information needed to go to the menus and identify my selections.

Readers seem to be interested in food and for the last few years the choices have been directly identified in my reports.

Roy

• Like 11

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Hey, at least you changed your underwear!

Oh boy.... that reminds me of my worst lost luggage experience.... which I had forgotten about -don't know how. Not a cruise but the long train trip I took from Hong Kong to London in the mid-1980's. There were 7 of us in the "group". There were supposed to more, but a group of 6 dropped out at the very last minute. They lost their trip money and the trip went forward. Anyhow.... we were on the train with a scheduled 2 night stop. None of our luggage was on the train which also experienced a long delay. We got to our hotel, hot, tired and grumpy ... no one had any clothing except what they carried with them which for most of them was nothing!!! . Of the group, I was the only one with a large purse that held extra undies and a T-shirt. The rest had no extra clothes.The next day was spent sight-seeing... got back to the hotel.... no luggage. The next day again sight seeing and a bit of trying to shop.... but we had trouble with sizes (as one shop owner told us, our sizes were King Kong, not Hong Kong). Things in the rooms were not drying but that night about 11:30  I heard crashing in the hall, and lo and behold... there was our luggage being thrown off the elevators into the hallway. Glad nothing was breakable as it bounced off the walls. After that everyone carried a package, or bag or something with extra clothes. I had sort of forgotten the luggage problem because that hotel also had the worst roach problem I have ever dealt with in my life.

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
typo
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Himself said:

Traditinal Epiphany is January 6th, even though in my country the Catholic Church has transfered it to Sunday for the past 50 years. However Catholics who follow 1962 Missal and celebrate the Latin Mass ad orentum also celebrate on the 6th as do those who ude the Liugy of St. John Chrysestom

I've been on a few cruises January 6.  Crystal, HAL, and QM2 all carry priests, and I checked the January 6 programs for these cruises.  All were just listed as "Mass", except that January 6 was a Saturday on Crystal Serenity and it was listed as "Vigil Mass".

Roy

• Like 4

Good Day everyone!

We will continue to celebrate the Epiphany on January 6th as it is my birthday.  As a child I learned to play "We Three Kings" on the piano as my Christmas song! (It still is a favorite carol of mine).

I always wanted to "cruise" on my birthday so in 2019 we boarded the NCL Breakaway( I know not HAL but itinerary and scheduled worked out best!) in New Orleans for 10 days.  We loved the cruise but decided in future to avoid flying at that time of year  (we left on the 4th) as there was still a great deal of holiday travelers, since we are retired we have more leeway on travel dates and prefer less crowds.

We are having the strangest weather here, the past two days have been "warm" got to 54 degrees with sun today!  Wind is blowing but not that cold.  Usually our winter weather is cold wind, makes it easy to walk the pup.

Take care and stay healthy!

Denise

• Like 11

I've mostly been lucky on luggage although in several flights I was delayed but my bags found a better connection and were waiting for me when I arrived. 

My biggest delay was not really airline related.  I shipped 2 bags home from the 2019 Grand South America with Luggage Forward.  I had a porter disembarking the Prinsendam and he dropped me at the airport transfer bus and said he would drop the 2 bags with Luggage Forward tags with their representative.  I was on a bus headed for lunch when I got a cell phone call from Airport Security.  The porter gave one bag to Luggage Forward but put the other on the airport bus (I stayed overnight in Fort Lauderdale).  Fortunately they gave the bag to the HAL rep who took it back to the office to be picked up by Luggage Forward a couple of days later.  It was delayed but fortunately arrived safely.

Roy

• Like 14

Catholic school girl here. The Epiphany will always be January 6 to celebrate the journey of days  that it took the three Wisemen  to visit the baby Jesus. Jan 6 is also a big holiday for my Greek Orthodox neighbors every year. I love the tradition of not putting the kings in the crèche until Jan 6. Memories of my childhood.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Must admit that we agree with @Vict0riann Epiphany = Little Christmas = 6th January = Twelfth Night !

So glad I am not alone. ❤️. I’m in good company with those that celebrate Epiphany on the 6th, I think 😉 🤗 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

I agree.

When it comes to the quilt, I hope that suitcase was truly lost. The alternative would be theft. 

Well, if it was truly lost, it would have ended up at Unclaimed Baggage somewhere in Georgia.  I scoured their website for months looking for the quilt to buy it back, but no such luck.  I just made her another one.

• Like 6