The Daily for Monday Jan 4, 2021

richwmn

today is National Pop Music Chart Day, Trivia Day, and World Braille Day

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
        -- Dean Martin

Meal suggestion for today - Harvest Chicken Casserole

Drink of the Day - Caramel Irish Coffee

Wine of the day - Vasse Felix Cabernet Sauvignon Margaret River Filius vintage 2015

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam destination Southampton eta 1/6
Oosterdam destination Southampton eta 1/5

Stirrup Cay Anchoragec
Nieuw Statendan

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam off San Diego
Nieuw Amsterdam off San Diego
Noordam off San Diego
Westerdam off San Diego
Zuiderdam off San Diego

Torquay
Volendam
Zaandam

0104Atlantic.png

0104Pacific.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  Did you intend to put spaces in the maps?

Braille is an amazing adaptation for the blind.  I one time followed Pop music charts but no longer do.  Missing trivia since the ships are not sailing.  I'll pass on the quote but like the menu suggestion.  My alternative is Sauteed Pork Chop and Key Lime Pie. my first dinner on the 2019 Prinsendam Grand South America Voyage.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Larry King hospitalized with Covid-19

Hoping Cruising Along is feeling better.

Kaiser Permanente San Jose Medical Center with staff Covid outbreak

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard (Saturday) Seahorse99 d9704011 Sparkles

Welcome to the Daily CNSJ and MaisonRose

Welcome 117th Congress

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

Ship horns in Torbay

Debbie making a replacement quilt after original lost/stolen

NFL teams starting playoffs, especially Ravens

The promise of new Eagle life

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Most of post
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily Report.

Love trivia.  Braille is a wonderful thing.  I don't listen to much pop music.

Interesting quote,  I've never been drunk.

The meal suggestion sounds good, but not for us tonight.

Sending prayers for all.  A round of applause to all with something to celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 13

Rich:

Thanks for the DAILY Fleet report. Have a great day.  I am posting early.  Will check on the drink later.  Not into casseols so I will go with Roy's alternative.  Cold and foggy this morning and slipperyso I will not drive to Starbucks.

• Like 9

Good morning Rich, Roy, and fellow dailyites.  Not a music lover here, love Trivia on the ships, and think Braille is a wonderful "invention" to help those that need it get around.  The quote was typical Dean Martin.  Will pass on the meal. Prayers and shout-outs as needed.

Please stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  Will attempt to register for the vaccine at 8 am this morning when the link goes live.

Caramel Irish Coffee:

Ingredients
1 ounce Irish whiskey (Jameson)
1 ounce Irish cream (Baileys)
1 ounce butterscotch schnapps
2 1/2 ounces coffee (or more to fill, freshly brewed)
Garnish:  whipped cream
Garnish: caramel syrup

Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients. Warm a mug or Irish coffee glass by filling it with hot water. Allow this to sit for a few minutes, then dump out the water. Pour all of the liquors into the warm mug, fill with coffee, and stir. Top with whipped cream and a drizzle caramel syrup. Serve and enjoy!

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 7.26.24 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I know a lot of Trivia fans who will be celebrating today 😉. Braille is such a wonderful benefit for the blind, definitely worthy of celebration and is appreciated by so many 🙂 

LOL on that ever so typical Dean Martin quote.

The meal suggestion sounds intriguing - especially since I have chicken in the fridge 🙂 

Thanks for the drink description, summer.  Sounds perfect for this winter day!

Well, we have cleaned up from our storm.  I see a lot of covered cars still so I’m guessing those people may need to find another means to get around:  

477EA475-5694-4BB5-9FF7-2DFFF59276B3.thumb.jpeg.85f3ed1fb337fa81fd3507534a7c3bc7.jpeg

Of course, there are worse things that can happen when you dig out your car:

3288C590-8A7E-4CC6-89FD-10F78831A58A.thumb.jpeg.7ba5b3364b960c7320544a3356a0f380.jpeg

I hope everyone who wanted snow to come back is happy.  Me?

F9640967-5B20-496B-8DB4-626878E318AA.jpeg.4ed9c240f11bcc3ff013531ed368e2b5.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Monday everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 25

14 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning Rich, Roy, and fellow dailyites.  Not a music lover here, love Trivia on the ships, and think Braille is a wonderful "invention" to help those that need it get around.  The quote was typical Dean Martin.  Will pass on the meal. Prayers and shout-outs as needed.

Please stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  Will attempt to register for the vaccine at 8 am this morning when the link goes live.

Caramel Irish Coffee:

Ingredients
1 ounce Irish whiskey (Jameson)
1 ounce Irish cream (Baileys)
1 ounce butterscotch schnapps
2 1/2 ounces coffee (or more to fill, freshly brewed)
Garnish:  whipped cream
Garnish: caramel syrup

Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients. Warm a mug or Irish coffee glass by filling it with hot water. Allow this to sit for a few minutes, then dump out the water. Pour all of the liquors into the warm mug, fill with coffee, and stir. Top with whipped cream and a drizzle caramel syrup. Serve and enjoy!

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 7.26.24 AM.png

Sounds good. Never used the schnapps. Will add it next time.

• Like 5

Happy Monday everyone.  Thanks to Rich and Roy who get up early to keep us informed.  We all appreciate you!

January is a big birthday month for our family, including three of my six grandchildren.  Today I celebrate DGD Ashley who is turning the big 21 today!!  Congrats to her.

I'll get right down to what's turned into a travelogue of our 2016-2017 Antarctica-South Georgia Island cruise.  

Jan. 4, 2017 on Seabourn Quest.  In South Georgia Island we had reduced the color groups to four since the restrictions on the number of passengers ashore were not as stringent.  In Antarctica a total of 100 were allowed on land but here we could have more.  We were placed in the blue color group since the white color was eliminated.  They had delivered two new blue armbands to our cabin the day before.   Blue was the second group scheduled to go out on Jan. 4. The plan for the day was to take groups out in Zodiacs to view the scenery and wildlife.  Early that morning we were on the southern tip of South Georgia with Cooper Island nearby.  Sorry for the glare in this photo of a map they had on display in Seabourn Square.enhance

But then the Captain (again, who shall not be named) updated us at 9:40 am that due to winds and swells we would just do scenic cruising today from the ship, not the Zodiacs. He turned the ship into Drygalski Fjord where it was much calmer due to the surrounding mountains blocking the wind.  There were three nice glaciers to view at the end of the fjord named Risting, Jenkins and Philippi Glaciers. I notice I have the penguin pendant necklace on here.  Wish I had somewhere to wear it to now!enhance

enhance

Below is a photo of the Quest in the Drygalski Fjord.  The glass atrium I mentioned yesterday is shown.  I’m sure it wasn’t easy to cover all that glass at night for bird safety. enhance

After cruising the fjord for a while the Captain and the Expedition Team decided it was calm enough in the fjord to do some Zodiac sightseeing so they called the first group scheduled for the day, which was the Red group.  It seemed pretty calm in this photo.enhance

Next up was our color, Blue, so at the appropriate time DH got dressed in his gear to prepare for the ride.  I wasn’t feeling well that morning so I was on the balcony watching. He went downstairs to get in line for Blue, got his boots on and was scanned off the ship because he was in the first boat of 12 leaving in the Blue group.  I was watching from our port side balcony as the Zodiacs came back with the Red passengers.  But by now the winds were increasing and it was getting difficult to control the Zodiacs as they dropped off people since the winds and swell were getting dangerous.  They were bobbing up and down and from port to starboard, and so was the ship.  The last Red people back had quite a time of it.  You wouldn’t want anyone falling into the drink in these freezing waters!enhance

I saw the Captain up on the bridge with his binoculars watching the process carefully.  I told myself, they’re not going to continue this operation today and sure enough a few minutes later they announced that the winds and swell had picked up and they had to stop for the day.  DH and the other 11 passengers already checked off the ship had to be checked back on, remove their boots and call it a day.  All of us on the ship who didn’t get to go out were pretty bummed about it.  Lucky for us the videographer on board had taken footage which was then shared with us via our Seabourn cruise video.  He went out with the Red group.  Here are several of them. enhance

King penguinsenhance

Kings with their wooly chicksenhance

The Captain did give us a thrill later in the day when he sailed right between two icebergs dead ahead.  Lots of photo opportunities there.  The rest of the day was pretty uneventful.  We picked up pizza that evening for dinner and enjoyed it in our cabin.enhance

enhance

That's all for today.  Tomorrow's date is a special date in South Georgia Island history and we will be in Grytviken to tell you about it.

• Like 26

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What a great combo of days. I love all music - live. Am still a huge fan of hard rock, but have not followed a music chart in decades. I guess I should not be surprised they still have them.

Roy, thank you for your heroic efforts on keeping our lists updated. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Joy, I see you are wide awake! Denise, @DeeniEncinitashope you have lots of free time when you get back from Mammoth - it is going to take you days to catch up! We have another red wine today.I am going to look up the recipe for today’s meal. Doesn’t Harvest Chicken sound healthy? Summer, another amazing looking drink. Perfect since our weather has turned cool again. Yesterday at 6 a.m. it was 70. This morning it was 43.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating.

Stay well everyone!

This Australian Cab has great ratings and a decent price range starting at $20.49. This wine is “shapely” versus what? Flabby?

#58 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

It carries the structure, power and tannins of classic Cabernet in an earlier drinking, more forward style from fruit sourced from each of the Vasse Felix vineyards.

Maroon color with a purple tint, the 2015 vintage unfolds a classical savory Cabernet perfume. Vibrant blackcurrant fruit with gravel earth, hints of venison, mushrooms and truffles mingle with a fine sage-like herbal lift. Fragrant spiced oak notes sit beautifully underneath, delivering a touch of classical cedar. A light entrance leads to juicy fruit with bright acidity, with flavors of blackcurrant and woodsy native forest. Shapely as a Cabernet should be, the power starts to build with a fine tannin profile, leaving a lengthy dry, linear finish.

Blend: 87% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Malbec

WS92 Wine Spectator: Opens with a fresh green accent reminiscent of tomato leaf and sage, giving a savory, peppery note to the plush, velvety cassis and plum core. Finds balance between grace and power, with spice and herb elements lingering on the finish. Drink now through 2028. 

• Like 14

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  While I don't follow the pop charts, I love listening to "my" music from the 60's and 70's.  Beginning around grade 8, I was listening to music all the time, in fact, I studied for my grade 12 "finals" while listening to the local dj's pump put the tunes.  A sad note, one of my favourite singers Gerry Marsden from Gerry and the Pacemakers passed away on the weekend.   Love playing trivia, even if I'm not very good at it.  Braille always amazes me, but can anyone tell me why there is braille on drive-through ATM's?

What a nice sounding menu suggestion - I looked up the recipe, and because we just finished chicken stir-fry, I might substitute pork chops instead.  The only things I don't have in the house are sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts, but since we're going for groceries today anyway . . . that's what will be on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

I'm looking forward to setting up my sewing centre on the dining room table again (now that Christmas is over), because I found some great Spiderman fabrics to make masks for our darling grandson (age 5).  Sewing should keep me off the streets and out of pool halls for a while.  LOL

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.   Clinking the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 17

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily. 

Good morning to my sweet sisters. Ann, you are right, Denise will be spending CC screen time for awhile catching up. Thank you Roy, summer and Ann for the special additions. The wine sounds weird.. tomato leaf, sage, plum core, gravel earth and venison? Jacqui your cartoon today must be popular.. lol.

So this morning we are pretty sad. My sweet husband has been battling his allergic reaction to Sophie for 4 weeks. Poor guy is wheezing and sneezing. Allergy meds, eye drops, hepa filters and essential oils are not helping at all. We may have to find a new home for her and we are heart broken. Please say a prayer that Sophie gets a new forever home. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So this morning we are pretty sad. My sweet husband has been battling his allergic reaction to Sophie for 4 weeks. Poor guy is wheezing and sneezing. Allergy meds, eye drops, hepa filters and essential oils are not helping at all. We may have to find a new home for her and we are heart broken. Please say a prayer that Sophie gets a new forever home. 

Joy, I am so sorry! I wish I could cure Allen, so you could keep Sophie. 

I will add my prayers that you find an amazing new forever home for her - perhaps one that gives you visitation rights.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone

As always thanks for this wonderful thread!  Today we would have been boarding the Volendam  for the Grand South America and Antarctica  trip. Would have been our first Grand Voyage and longest. Oh well we will wait and and look a StLouis Cruisers pictures and dream!

Love playing trivia on the ship. It is always fun and good for some great laughs. We are not serious players.

Stay safe.

• Like 12

Just circling back to say that today was Day 1 for the vaccine in my County - Daytona stadium reached its 1,000 capacity level at 6 a.m.  These folk had to wait until 7:30 for the medical personnel to start administering the vaccine.

I suspect tomorrow will be a repeat of today.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I know a lot of Trivia fans who will be celebrating today 😉. Braille is such a wonderful benefit for the blind, definitely worthy of celebration and is appreciated by so many 🙂 

LOL on that ever so typical Dean Martin quote.

The meal suggestion sounds intriguing - especially since I have chicken in the fridge 🙂 

Thanks for the drink description, summer.  Sounds perfect for this winter day!

Well, we have cleaned up from our storm.  I see a lot of covered cars still so I’m guessing those people may need to find another means to get around:  

477EA475-5694-4BB5-9FF7-2DFFF59276B3.thumb.jpeg.85f3ed1fb337fa81fd3507534a7c3bc7.jpeg

Of course, there are worse things that can happen when you dig out your car:

3288C590-8A7E-4CC6-89FD-10F78831A58A.thumb.jpeg.7ba5b3364b960c7320544a3356a0f380.jpeg

I hope everyone who wanted snow to come back is happy.  Me?

F9640967-5B20-496B-8DB4-626878E318AA.jpeg.4ed9c240f11bcc3ff013531ed368e2b5.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Monday everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

Love the Canadian Uber Jacqui, and being from Minnesota, once Christmas is over, we also look forward to summer.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Just circling back to say that today was Day 1 for the vaccine in my County - Daytona stadium reached its 1,000 capacity level at 6 a.m.  These folk had to wait until 7:30 for the medical personnel to start administering the vaccine.

I suspect tomorrow will be a repeat of today.  

I hope you can get your vaccine soon.  My MIL in the nursing facility had hers early last week and will get a second at the end of this month.  However only 60% of the staff had been vaccinated we were told.  Some on vacation, some not eligible yet due to having had Covid already in the last few months, some who are "afraid" of the vaccine, and some who claim to be anti-vaxers.  The director said they are offering those people a $200 incentive to get the vaccine, which I think is ridiculous.  Are they going to hold out for more money now?  I think they should be told get the vaccine or we will find employees who actually care about the health of others if not for themselves.

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hope you can get your vaccine soon.  My MIL in the nursing facility had hers early last week and will get a second at the end of this month.  However only 60% of the staff had been vaccinated we were told.  Some on vacation, some not eligible yet due to having had Covid already in the last few months, some who are "afraid" of the vaccine, and some who claim to be anti-vaxers.  The director said they are offering those people a $200 incentive to get the vaccine, which I think is ridiculous.  Are they going to hold out for more money now?  I think they should be told get the vaccine or we will find employees who actually care about the health of others if not for themselves.

I agree, people in certain professions should be required to be vaccinated.

I am holding out for the County just North of mine to open up reservations for 65+.  I have no desire to get up at 5 a.m. to go get in line for a 7:30 start. I want a reservation!

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I agree with you on the requirement for vaccines.

At my BIL’s mother’s senior residence most of the care givers declined the vaccine.  Absurd.  The place has covid and while my BIL’s mother was safe on another floor, she now, unfortunately has contracted covid and I fear very much it will be a sad ending.

I find the care our seniors are getting by their supposed “care givers” deplorable.  AT the very least, they should be looking out for their health by getting the vaccine.

• Like 13