The Daily for Wednesday Jan 6, 2021

richwmn

Thank you Rich and Roy.

Thanks to all who share and care😀.

Happy Hump day.

We are keeping our two small Christmas trees lights on untill we get our vaccination.  I love the lights, they are a hopeful reminder that good things are coming our way.🎄

Please be safe everyone .

• Like 13

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That Captain retired from HAL and Seabourn then Europa hired him before the Covid crisis. 

Oops, I named him.  Edited and I will just say we really enjoyed our cruise with him.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

One more Roy 🙂

Team USA shutting out Team Canada 2-0 (Canada's first defeat after six consecutive wins!) and winning the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship. Awesome job!

US upsets Canada 2-0 to win world junior hockey championship

AMEN!!!

• Like 5

Good morning everyone. Thank you Rich and Roy for  today’s info.  It’s certainly a good day to cuddle up and watch the crazy goings on in the US Congress. Hoping it doesn’t get too crazy.

My SIL is out of quarantine today with no where to go.

My daughter and grandson in NY are  getting the vaccine on Friday.

I love apples and like to make baked apples, especially in the winter.

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 13

Good Morning Dailyites!

Thank you all for your wining & dining suggestions (leftover jambalaya for us tonight), drinks/wine, humor. All so very welcome.

To those of you in Georgia, we are sure you will appreciate the lack of political advertising today and going forward.

A special shout out to Team 🇺🇸 USA's Gold Medal victory at the Jr. World Hockey Championships. It was a superb tournament and Team USA definitely played their A Game last night. Well done and congratulations!

Still no word on when the vaccines might wend their way to us. It is beyond heartwarming to read that some of you are receiving it already.

Stay safe everyone. And please, wear a mask!

• Like 16

Good morning on a chilly day in Georgia, where I join in celebrating "no more political ads"!!  I have some leftover black bean chili that will make a good lunch today. I've got nothing on apple trees -- we are in the peach state here.

Oh my goodness, it's penguin Lollapalooza!

enhance

And for those who think all those penguins look alike, a cartoon:

Speed Bump at www.cartoonistgroup.com - Cartoon View and Uses

I'm laughing at the note from @baltic17 on the wine description -- so true, except it is also missing the peat!  I have found among friends that an appreciation of good wines and single malt scotch often tends to go together. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Rich Thanks for the DAILY Fleet report.   Thanks to all other contributors. I hope all you wonderful people have a wonderful day. I went to the post om the late TOMC and someone pulled and shared some of his "Live" and "Almost Live" posts and they are still funny.  We lost a very ceative poster when we lost him.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We really don't know what words or Captain's names for instance will trigger the "hidden" post which then has to be reviewed.  I know in the past I have mentioned his name in various places on this website and it never triggered an issue.  Must have been in the past 2 years or so.  That Captain retired from HAL and Seabourn then Europa hired him before the Covid crisis.  

I know that Captain has said he would only move to a ship with a proper promenade deck and exterior bridge wings.  Not a lot of those ships around any more.

Roy

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

To those of you in Georgia, we are sure you will appreciate the lack of political advertising today and going forward.

That's true, but that's about all I see to look forward to.🙁

28 minutes ago, Ichiban Nekko said:
6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I know that Captain has said he would only move to a ship with a proper promenade deck and exterior bridge wings.  Not a lot of those ships around any more.

Roy

He did say that, but I know the Quest didn't have exterior bridge wings.  He just really wanted to go to Antarctica and South Georgia Island so it didn't matter to him.   He's probably sitting at home now like the rest of us wondering if he will ever get back on a ship as Master.  

@cruisemom42are you in Georgia?  For some reason I thought you were in Colorado or somewhere in that area.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

One more Roy 🙂

Team USA shutting out Team Canada 2-0 (Canada's first defeat after six consecutive wins!) and winning the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship. Awesome job!

I thought The U.S. team after about the 10 minute mark of the first period played so well like they had a man advantage during the rest of the game.  They were tight as a team.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@cruisemom42are you in Georgia?  For some reason I thought you were in Colorado or somewhere in that area.

Yes, I'm in Georgia though I don't include location in my profile -- a few years ago I had a stalking issue (not on this site) and I am just a bit leery of putting too much info out there...

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, I'm in Georgia though I don't include location in my profile -- a few years ago I had a stalking issue (not on this site) and I am just a bit leery of putting too much info out there...

Not a problem.  Glad you're watching out for yourself.  And yes it has been a bit too chilly here lately!

• Like 5

Thanks for the Daily! 

Bean Day - I may work that into dinner. I like pumpkin ravioli, so one day soon msybe.

No one to cuddle up with (human or animal), alas!

Congrats to those getting the vaccine. The way things are rolling out here, it'll be a while before I qualify, although my immune status has me somewhat higher than others.

Prayers for those on the care list and cheers to those on the celebration/shoutout list.

Vanessa

• Like 13

Good morning, all! Today is Epiphany, so the Christmas ornaments are on their last day. Cuddling up is a good plan, too! The meal plan today is meatloaf, with Black Forest Cake to follow. A Hot Gin Toddy sounds good, but not so much the wine. Between the notes of petrol and being described as ‘disgorged’, I’ll pass on this one! We seem to be getting a break from the torrential rain today, which is much welcome. 
Yesterday’s post doesn’t seem to exist. I think I somehow cancelled instead of submitting. Here’s hoping I do better today! Happy Wednesday from the Amsterdam!

831E22E7-D361-478E-8121-B7A889C937B0.jpeg

• Like 16

Like everyone, I am enjoying StLouisCruiser's pictures of the penguins in Antarctica.  Notice there is no mention of their smell as one gets close to the colony.  Some of the wine descriptions bring to mine a description I once read of the smell of penguin guano:  Take some old cigarette tobacco, soak it in ammonia, mix in some rotten shrimp, and let it sit in the sun for a few days...  When we were in Antarctica years ago on the Amsterdam we couldn't go ashore, so that is part of the experience we missed.

Ray

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

One more Roy 🙂

Congratulations @Copper10-8 from a Canadian . We watched all the teams play last night and liked all  of the well deserved wins . 

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 9

I just got an email from HAL  cancelling our April cruise.  Oh, well, I had thought we would probably have to cancel anyway.  The vaccines are rolling out very slowly here, and I figured even if we got our first shot we would probably be waiting for our second in April.

Good morning, all, and hello, Tony!  Thanks everyone, for posting.  I have been re-living our Antarctica expedition and looking at my own photos.,  Way to spend the morning.  🙃

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Like everyone, I am enjoying StLouisCruiser's pictures of the penguins in Antarctica.  Notice there is no mention of their smell as one gets close to the colony.  Some of the wine descriptions bring to mine a description I once read of the smell of penguin guano:  Take some old cigarette tobacco, soak it in ammonia, mix in some rotten shrimp, and let it sit in the sun for a few days...  When we were in Antarctica years ago on the Amsterdam we couldn't go ashore, so that is part of the experience we missed.

Ray

We went to Antarctica in late November, so there wasn't all that much aroma - the penguins had recently returned to their nesting sites, and we saw eggs, not chicks (except for the junior Kings).  The snow was fairly clean, too.  Evidently later in the season it would have been much worse, and the snow very discoloured (mainly pink, depending on what the penguins ate, mainly krill, I think).  It was recommended to us beforehand that we bring a pot of Vicks Vaporub which one could dab under their nose to cover up the smell if we needed it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1