Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

I really don't see it as a problem. For our 12 night cruise I took 4 jackets and three waistcoats.

I use vacuum bags for sockets and underwear and they save lads of space.  🙂

I took four formal jackets too on our 14 night Caribbean cruise. As they were all slim fit and shorter in length they were actually lighter than my old black DJ and my white Tux’.

16 minutes ago, arlowood said:

That's odd - I had a similar email this afternoon as we're booked on Aurora for a 1st May cruise (unlikely I'm guessing) and August (more hopeful). They were suggesting I consider going for a booking in 2022 and when I clicked on the link it was only showing cruises on Aurora and Arcadia for the Mediterranean.

The preamble in the email did refer to us preferring adult only ships (as we do) so maybe each email is tailored to the cruise profile of each guest.

Suppose it still does not rule out the possibility that Aurora and Arcadia may not sail during this year but they are still being promoted for 2022

With P&O's IT it is anyone's guess. The vast majority of my cruises with P&O are on adult-only ships and for the last 8 years, all but one have been as a solo traveller. The only cruise I have booked with them just now is on Aurora...

Just now, Britboys said:

With P&O's IT it is anyone's guess. The vast majority of my cruises with P&O are on adult-only ships and for the last 8 years, all but one have been as a solo traveller. The only cruise I have booked with them just now is on Aurora...

This isn’t an IT thing, this is purely a marketing department strategy.

4 minutes ago, joeecco said:

This isn’t an IT thing, this is purely a marketing department strategy.

Yes, but targeted marketing must rely on some sort of IT programme/algorithm. Hasn't worked with me either as I don't have any intention of sailing on one of their larger ships...

11 minutes ago, Esprit said:

I took four formal jackets too on our 14 night Caribbean cruise. As they were all slim fit and shorter in length they were actually lighter than my old black DJ and my white Tux’.

Thanks for pointing out that all your jackets are "slim fit", thereby depressing all us portly gentlemen...😉😄

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Our last P&O cruise, there were an older couple who told anyone who would listen that they were in the ‘top’ suite and that are the top tier of P&O loyalty.

Then they made the mistake of telling us that they do not like P&O for numerous reasons despite constantly sailing with them including the ‘purely embarrassing atrium that they call a dance hall, Cunard has a ballroom don’t you know’ Well I couldn’t resist so I kindly asked 

“So forgive my ignorance, are Cunard currently not sailing?”

”yes of course they are” they responded, quite rudely. 
so I hit them with “So in reality, you consistently choose to sail with p&O on your own merit to then make out that you are better than you are and to make it seem like you are better than the rest of us, When in reality you are cannot afford the equivalent on Cunard. If P&O ships irritate you as much as you say, stop booking them’ 

Safe to say they didn’t sit with us again 😂

nothing I hate more than being made to feel like you aren’t as good as someone else. We all come into the world with nothing and we will leave the world with nothing, some seem to forget that. 

I absolutely agree with you.

I avoid bragging people whenever possible especially snobby people and your put down of that couple was priceless.

Graham.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I absolutely agree with you.

I avoid bragging people whenever possible especially snobby people and your put down of that couple was priceless.

Graham.

I’d bitten my tongue for too long haha! It was worth seeing them crawl into their own behind. 😂

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Yes, but targeted marketing must rely on some sort of IT programme/algorithm. Hasn't worked with me either as I don't have any intention of sailing on one of their larger ships...

It’s nothing to do with the IT department was my point, the marketing team would have handled this themselves. 

4 minutes ago, joeecco said:

It’s nothing to do with the IT department was my point, the marketing team would have handled this themselves. 

I appreciate that but surely if the Marketing Dept are using Targeted Mailouts, they will be reliant on IT bought by P&O...

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

I think most of us lurked for quite a while before daring to join in - it was the exchanges between Andy, Avril and Kalos (and lots of others, of course) that finally propelled me into action.

Had to laugh about the butler and the ice cubes. I think I've mentioned this before, but years ago they spent weeks discussing the intricacies of hand-tied bow ties and having attacks of the vapours if anyone so much as mentioned the ready tied version.

Oh how funny Annie. I must look back and have a read. Different things matter to different people I guess.  Now where's my bow tie? J.x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

I appreciate that but surely if the Marketing Dept are using Targeted Mailouts, they will be reliant on IT bought by P&O...

I doubt that P&Os IT dept is sophisticated enough to be able to provide useful  targeted data for their marketing organisation.

8 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Maybe they are concerned that one of the smaller ships may not be available in 2022?

I hope not, finally booked Aurora for Oct 2022. The last sailing on sale. 

it’s bad enough not knowing if this years cruises are going ahead, let alone next years! 

If I offer to buy Paul Ludlow a pint, do you think he’ll keep her in the fleet 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Maybe they are concerned that one of the smaller ships may not be available in 2022?

I am booked on Aurora in August next year. If they should offload her before that, then I have already taken my last P&O cruise...😥

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I am booked on Aurora in August next year. If they should offload her before that, then I have already taken my last P&O cruise...😥

I really hope that you will make it there my friend. We are all in a very difficult situation right now, but we all need to keep our heads up and look into a brighter future! 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I really hope that you will make it there my friend. We are all in a very difficult situation right now, but we all need to keep our heads up and look into a brighter future! 

Will do Roger. If they get rid of Aurora, I'll just transfer my allegiance to another cruise line.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I doubt that P&Os IT dept is sophisticated enough to be able to provide useful  targeted data for their marketing organisation.

They havent because I have 2 cruises booked with P&O one on Arcadia in August 2021 and one on Britannia in May 2022 and I received the e-mail with no mention of Aurora or Arcadia.

15 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

They havent because I have 2 cruises booked with P&O one on Arcadia in August 2021 and one on Britannia in May 2022 and I received the e-mail with no mention of Aurora or Arcadia.

I have had at least 3 of these type of e-mails, the last one arrived today promoting their 2022 cruises and they were all Aurora and Arcadia cruises, and I have only sailed once on each ship 2006 on Arcadia and 2019 on Aurora, but 12 times in between on the biggies.

25 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Then the email you received would have been based on your booking on Britannia. For this type of marketing they will say for example we want to advertise the family ships to the Med so let’s pick the passengers that have booked the family ships to sail to the Baltics to show them other options to book for next time. They won’t do it as a let’s see what cruises Joe Bloggs has booked and then market directly to him. It will be based on specific ships and sailings individually.