Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

Was this email just for people who have a booked cruise?

No.

We have no current cruises booked after our Azura Transatlantic cruise in March 2020 was cancelled but still get regular emails.

It might be based on loyalty level as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joeecco said:

Just because it isn’t to your taste, it doesn’t mean it’s a dim scatter gun approach. It’s modern digital marketing. This is part of a multi billion pound organisation, it isn’t a group of nursery children painting by numbers. 

I did not say anything about whether it appealed to me or not,,  just that from the regularity that lots of people are receiving multiple e-mail shots I somehow doubt P&O are using any sort of sophisticated targeted marketing.  But that's just my opinion, which you are perfectly at liberty to disagree with.

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I did not say anything about whether it appealed to me or not,,  just that from the regularity that lots of people are receiving multiple e-mail shots I somehow doubt P&O are using any sort of sophisticated targeted marketing.  But that's just my opinion, which you are perfectly at liberty to disagree with.

Yes I will agree to disagree. 

I’ve just gone back and checked my email as I stopped reading half way through! Mine was the ‘we know you already have a cruise booked but can we tempt you to another one’ and only mentioned the big ships, most of my cruises have been on the big ships though. 
We absolutely loved our two short cruises on Oceana and Oriana but they are with us no more! Had my Aurora one cancelled in 2014 when they did the refit, still hope I might get on her one day!

22 minutes ago, joeecco said:

We are getting more and more nervous about the fate of the fly cruise now. @molecrochip Are we better off switching to Regal Princess Med out of Southampton? 

I feel so sorry for you at this time.  So many of us are on edge about what the future will be for one of, what to many of us on here, are a few holidays.  A wedding is another matter altogether.  Sadly though I am not so sure that a Princess cruise from the UK will be any more likely to go ahead without disruption or cancellation than any other.

The other very important point to consider is the insurance side of things.  Presumably you had booked this before COVID had disrupted holidays, so you will be fully insured, which will likely not be the case if you book afresh at this stage.  Moley did say the wedding team are good and will make sure you are looked after (or words to that effect).  I think you will do far better re-scheduling a wedding cruise through them, if you wait until things are clearer.  If there are not any fly cruises, there are probably more likely to be cruises from Southampton run by a wholly UK based company and I suspect that as it is for a wedding, they will have a liability for compensation due to your disappointment, though will depend on what changes may be made, as well as when they are made.

None of the above makes the wait easier for you though and I really do hope all goes well for you and that the prospects for your cruise are sorted more firmly soon.  The vaccine program is progressing well, so hopefully all news and expectations will improve to in the not too distant future.

Barbara 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, joeecco said:

We are getting more and more nervous about the fate of the fly cruise now. @molecrochip Are we better off switching to Regal Princess Med out of Southampton? 

Would it be an idea just to move  to a cruise next year. I can see all the uncertainty is causing you a lot of stress.

I always feel better when a decision is made, so perhaps it would set your mind at rest to take action rather than constantly feeling on edge with all the waiting. 

I know it’s your wedding, and very important to you. This year even if your cruise proceeds, it might not be all you’d hope for, what with all the likely restrictions.

Just a thought, from somebody who understands what it’s like to feel anxious. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Would it be an idea just to move  to a cruise next year. I can see all the uncertainty is causing you a lot of stress.

I always feel better when a decision is made, so perhaps it would set your mind at rest to take action rather than constantly feeling on edge with all the waiting. 

I know it’s your wedding, and very important to you. This year even if your cruise proceeds, it might not be all you’d hope for, what with all the likely restrictions.

Just a thought, from somebody who understands what it’s like to feel anxious. 

Nope, it’s the only thing getting me through this at the moment, despite our nervousness about it. Next year is too far away for my mind to deal with this current situation of COVID. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, joeecco said:

Nope, it’s the only thing getting me through this at the moment, despite our nervousness about it. Next year is too far away for my mind to deal with this current situation of COVID. 

Keep looking forward. Your wedding day is an important part of your future and you will have planned carefully and, have been looking forward to your big day. Try to stay positive and remember that worry and stress won't solve the problem, it only makes you less able to cope and think clearly. As the weeks go on and the vaccinations begin to take effect, things could change. Please don't give up hope, and try not to solve a problem until it's arrived. Good luck.

Avril

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Keep looking forward. Your wedding day is an important part of your future and you will have planned carefully and, have been looking forward to your big day. Try to stay positive and remember that worry and stress won't solve the problem, it only makes you less able to cope and think clearly. As the weeks go on and the vaccinations begin to take effect, things could change. Please don't give up hope, and try not to solve a problem until it's arrived. Good luck.

Avril

Excellent advice  Avril

Keep going! Your hardest times often lead to the happiest moments of your life and remember

your reasons for never giving up .:classic_smile:

believe-good-things-on-way-2-220x300.jpg.3c7f923141ee86c6a39df4343570e5c9.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, joeecco said:

Stay positive.

Hopefully in a couple of months a large proportion of the population will be vaccinated and business is open again.

🤞 Best wishes that everything works out for you.

Graham.

• Like 7

Things can change very quickly, especially with the vaccine roll out, if the EU gets its house in order. We are still hopeful our August cruise to the Med will go ahead, but who knows.? I've said before we would go as long as the restrictions are not too draconian. Walking around in masks, no help yourself buffet and ships tours only would be acceptable, we wouldn't get off !

It will be make your mind up when final payment is due,  we only have a small deposit paid so would probably change to a Iona Norway cruise next year.

• Like 8

I'm  liking the positive attitude, we have 2 cruises Fjords end Aug transferred from May also Med end Sept transferred from last year. I won't go with to many restrictions , some days I feel it may happen then not. We have to just wait and see what happens with the vaccinations  everywhere.  

• Like 1

Spain are saying they “would progressively prepare to welcome international tourists once 70% of Spain's population had been vaccinated”.

They estimate this will happen by the end of the summer.

So there could be Spanish ports by late summer if their vaccine programme goes to plan.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Tikka234 said:

I'm  liking the positive attitude, we have 2 cruises Fjords end Aug transferred from May also Med end Sept transferred from last year. I won't go with to many restrictions , some days I feel it may happen then not. We have to just wait and see what happens with the vaccinations  everywhere.  

We have a Fjords cruise at the end of June which was transferred from a cancellation last year, and a Med cruise in October, booked in 2019. We have until the End of May to pay the balance for June, so we shall sit tight, wait and then decide nearer the time. Nothing is gained by worrying about something that hasn't yet happened. 

Avril

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Spain are saying they “would progressively prepare to welcome international tourists once 70% of Spain's population had been vaccinated”.

So there could be Spanish ports by late summer if their vaccine programme goes to plan.

Sounds promising for our October cruise 🙂 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Sounds promising for our October cruise 🙂 

Let's hope so - crunch time comes in July,  but if things are still in the air, hopefully Princess will delay the final payment date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

They could be ports open however progressively prepare might suggest they will want to open the most profitable bits for the local economy - Costas. Apparently cruise passengers don't directly spend a lot when ashore

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, davecttr said:

They could be ports open however progressively prepare might suggest they will want to open the most profitable bits for the local economy - Costas. Apparently cruise passengers don't directly spend a lot when ashore

Yes quite possibly. It would make sense for any country to look at what brings most benefit to their economy, I assume the U.K. will do the same.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

A lot of revenue also comes from port fees etc, not to mention the ships taking on supplies as well. So I would assume that they would welcome all cruise lines.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1

This report sums up nicely from a SAGE member as to why i think cruising will not be resuming any time soon in anything like what we knew and why vaccinating the  UK counts for nothing.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-life-wont-return-to-normal-for-at-least-two-years-expert-warns-saying-pandemic-isnt-over-until-its-over-globally-12203057

6 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

This report sums up nicely from a SAGE member as to why i think cruising will not be resuming any time soon in anything like what we knew and why vaccinating the  UK counts for nothing.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-life-wont-return-to-normal-for-at-least-two-years-expert-warns-saying-pandemic-isnt-over-until-its-over-globally-12203057

I tend to agree and that has been my approach when considering or more accurately not considering future cruises or holidays.

1 hour ago, Chrisdriving said:

Your link gives a table with vaccination rates per 100 people in the population of European countries.  Not surprising that we top the list and are way out ahead.  What surprised me though is that Norway is very near the bottom.  Perhaps not looking too good regards getting off Iona in Norway in the summer, sadly.

Edited by tring