Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

15 hours ago, Britboys said:

Had an interesting e-mailshot from P&O today. Whilst acknowledging that I have a cruise booked with them, they wonder if I can be tempted to book another 'Adventure'. The interesting bit is that in part of the email, they ask "Which of our ships will you choose?" - and then go on to provide links to cruises on Azura, Britannia, Iona and Ventura. No links to Arcadia or Aurora.

Not suggesting that they are about to sell them off or anything but it may be linked in to Molecrochip's post some time back suggesting that the two smaller ships will return to duty later than their large counterparts...

Got that email as well.  Didn't notice that there were no links to Arcadia & Aurora.  Thanks for pointing that out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, joeecco said:

Then the email you received would have been based on your booking on Britannia. For this type of marketing they will say for example we want to advertise the family ships to the Med so let’s pick the passengers that have booked the family ships to sail to the Baltics to show them other options to book for next time. They won’t do it as a let’s see what cruises Joe Bloggs has booked and then market directly to him. It will be based on specific ships and sailings individually. 

But why base it on Britannia and not Arcadia that I also have booked and try and tempt me to book a cruise on Arcadia 2022. Unless they of course know something about Arcadia or Aurora that we dont know about.

Edited by majortom10

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

But why base it on Britannia and not Arcadia that I also have booked and try and tempt me to book a cruise on Arcadia 2022.

You’re on a different page I think. P&O would have said let’s advertise family cruises for these ships today so to do so let’s send an email to all the people that have booked for Britannia between x and z and show them some other options. 

likewise in the future they will do the same for aurora cruises based on people

who have booked Arcadia between x and a. It’s a common marketing strategy to show you similarities so that you book other things (be it other ships) 

P&O don’t want people sticking to the same ship, they want to tempt you to book others. 

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Got that email as well.  Didn't notice that there were no links to Arcadia & Aurora.  Thanks for pointing that out.

I've just found the email as well as I never check promotions daily. The ship links I have are to Arcadia and Aurora, so problem solved I think. We have never booked the larger ships and have also two cruises booked on Arcadia for this year🤞 so it might depend on your cruise history as to which email you receive.

Avril

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I just noticed Carnival share price shot up 9%, there doesn't seem to be any reason especially as the FSTE is down. No announcements on the Carnival site.

We noticed that, which is why I headed here to investigate, though was intending to get stuck into other things today.  Checked on a Yahoo site which gives details of why there is movement in the Carnival share price and nothing mentioned there as yet either.

I think I now understand what joeecco is saying about the marketing strategy but to me it seems a very imprecise methodology. I have had two cruises on Azura, 8 years apart but other than that, have only ever cruised on Oriana, Aurora, Arcadia and one Weekender on Oceana. I hated Azura on both the cruises I tried (the second was a 4 night trip that I only did to join a group of friends). So from my experience, I am not remotely interested in sailing on one of P&O's larger ships in the future.

From what others have said above, some folks seem to have been sent emails trying to tempt them back on the ships they have previously sailed on whilst others got emails trying to tempt them on to different ships. All very confusing but I dare say there is a method to their madness somewhere.

I must admit, I just deleted my marketing email, without really looking at it

But I've just been into my deleted mailbox, and the link on my email takes me a page which has been filtered to cruises on Iona, Arcadia and Aurora. Which makes sense, as my booked cruise with P&O is on Arcadia, and the one that I had cancelled was on Iona. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I just noticed Carnival share price shot up 9%, there doesn't seem to be any reason especially as the FSTE is down. No announcements on the Carnival site.

I wouldnt pay much attention to share price as it is all over the place not only on a daily basis but throughout the day. Since it shot up 9% it has now fallen back to just over 3%.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joeecco said:

You’re on a different page I think. P&O would have said let’s advertise family cruises for these ships today so to do so let’s send an email to all the people that have booked for Britannia between x and z and show them some other options. 

likewise in the future they will do the same for aurora cruises based on people

who have booked Arcadia between x and a. It’s a common marketing strategy to show you similarities so that you book other things (be it other ships) 

P&O don’t want people sticking to the same ship, they want to tempt you to book others. 

Which is my argument entirely I have cruised on all P&Os current ships and my cruise booked in 2022 is with Britannia so if as you say they dont want people sticking to the same ship why send me an e-mail trying to tempt me to book a Summer 2022 on Britannia and there other large ships. I certainly wouldnt book a summer cruise on the same ship on which I have sailed on on 2-3 months prior with possibly same dancing shows and same staff.

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

Which is my argument entirely I have cruised on all P&Os current ships and my cruise booked in 2022 is with Britannia so if as you say they dont want people sticking to the same ship why send me an e-mail trying to tempt me to book a Summer 2022 on Britannia and there other large ships. I certainly wouldnt book a summer cruise on the same ship on which I have sailed on on 2-3 months prior with possibly same dancing shows and same staff.

“And there other large ships.“

you said it yourself. 

it’s a simple modern marketing strategy of mixing emails around. 

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

I think I now understand what joeecco is saying about the marketing strategy but to me it seems a very imprecise methodology. I have had two cruises on Azura, 8 years apart but other than that, have only ever cruised on Oriana, Aurora, Arcadia and one Weekender on Oceana. I hated Azura on both the cruises I tried (the second was a 4 night trip that I only did to join a group of friends). So from my experience, I am not remotely interested in sailing on one of P&O's larger ships in the future.

From what others have said above, some folks seem to have been sent emails trying to tempt them back on the ships they have previously sailed on whilst others got emails trying to tempt them on to different ships. All very confusing but I dare say there is a method to their madness somewhere.

I think the method in their madness with your emails will be that they can see that you like the smaller ships a lot and have sailed on Azura twice so they will see that as you are willing and are trying to tempt you to try a larger ship again. Remembering that the long term strategy of the marketing team is to convince all the current P&O small ship lovers that the bigger ships are just as good (in their eyes I’m not saying they are, simply saying that P&O know the future for them is larger ships and they are trying to hold onto customers that are loyal as well as attracting new)

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, joeecco said:

“And there other large ships.“

you said it yourself. 

it’s a simple modern marketing strategy of mixing emails around. 

My email was promoting extra obc for select sailings which we always do plus 5% deposit.

53 minutes ago, joeecco said:

I think the method in their madness with your emails will be that they can see that you like the smaller ships a lot and have sailed on Azura twice so they will see that as you are willing and are trying to tempt you to try a larger ship again. Remembering that the long term strategy of the marketing team is to convince all the current P&O small ship lovers that the bigger ships are just as good (in their eyes I’m not saying they are, simply saying that P&O know the future for them is larger ships and they are trying to hold onto customers that are loyal as well as attracting new)

I can see now why they might take a punt on trying to get me to try another large ship but unfortunately for them, they are barking up the wrong tree...

2 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I can see now why they might take a punt on trying to get me to try another large ship but unfortunately for them, they are barking up the wrong tree...

I’m sure they are with a lot of people, but it’s worth the shot 🙂 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

I’m feeling left out! We haven’t had any emails from P&O for ages. Our cruise on Aurora last October was of course cancelled, but we have one booked this October on Arcadia.

Me neither, it was the same with FCC's we heard nothing for several months then got 4 emails within a week, all saying the same thing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Same here. We will stick to Britannia and Iona.🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SeaJane said:

I’m feeling left out! We haven’t had any emails from P&O for ages. Our cruise on Aurora last October was of course cancelled, but we have one booked this October on Arcadia.

Try looking in promotions or trash, mine was in promotions. Have you updated your P&O preferences to recieve emails? just an after-thought

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
added text
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Try looking in promotions or trash, mine was in promotions. Have you updated your P&O preferences to recieve emails? just an after-thought

Avril

Thanks Avril. We always used to get emails until a few months ago. We’ve checked our P&O preferences several times and they show us opting in for emails, but we still don’t get them. The “wonderful” IT system strikes again maybe? 🤣🤣

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think you are confusing the rather dim P&O scatter gun approach, with some sort of genius marketing strategy.

Just because it isn’t to your taste, it doesn’t mean it’s a dim scatter gun approach. It’s modern digital marketing. This is part of a multi billion pound organisation, it isn’t a group of nursery children painting by numbers. 

Edited by joeecco

8 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Just because it isn’t to your taste, it doesn’t mean it’s a dim scatter gun approach. It’s modern digital marketing. This is part of a multi billion pound organisation, it isn’t a group of nursery children painting by numbers. 

Nursery children might have more success at this moment in time!

• Like 1