Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

We are all hoping that our cruises go ahead this year, but the one cruise I am praying sails, is yours. Please don't give up hope. 

Avril

Oh my goodness that is so kind, I’ve just read that aloud to my partner and she said the same. Thanks so much for thinking about us xx

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joeecco said:

Our wedding is onboard in July. 

Everything crossed for you.  I can only imagine how you're both feeling.  It's hanging over you all the time until you get a definitive answer.  Keep hoping and try to stay positive.  Best wishes.  Jane.x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, arlowood said:

Yes - on our one and only Fred cruise on the Boudicca we did a sail past the Torgahatten and also sailed into Trollfjord which in a long narrow fjord that opens out at the end with just enough room for Boudicca to do a 360 and sail out. According to the Captain, Boudicca was the largest ship that could tackle that manoeuvre. 

Unfortunately none of the remaining P&O ships are small enough so maybe the Torghatten option is a non-starter. The Trollfjord would definitely be off-limits

P1090820.JPG

P1090690.JPG

Balmoral can and does go into the Trollfjord and we have been on board her and done that.  Also. Braemar of course which is the smallest ship from Fred's original fleet.  All Fred sailings have gone up the inside passage, where you see the mountain with a hole and other sights.

That makes sea days on his more northerly Norwegian cruises, scenic cruising days in peaceful waters (like when ships go up the well visited fjords).  His new ships are a very similar size to the Viking fleet, but I do not know if their dimensions allow sailing the inside passage, so will have to wait and see about that.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, joeecco said:

Wow thank you so much. Your insight has been so useful. Hopefully the announcement brings us good news. We’ll happily take an itinerary change haha. 

My honest feeling is that Azura will be sailing by then. No comments on where at present but I’m not expecting her to still be laid up.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, tring said:

Balmoral can and does go into the Trollfjord and we have been on board her and done that.  Also. Braemar of course which is the smallest ship from Fred's original fleet.  All Fred sailings have gone up the inside passage, where you see the mountain with a hole and other sights.

That makes sea days on his more northerly Norwegian cruises, scenic cruising days in peaceful waters (like when ships go up the well visited fjords).  His new ships are a very similar size to the Viking fleet, but I do not know if their dimensions allow sailing the inside passage, so will have to wait and see about that.

We sailed past Torghatten when we were on Balmoral. It was breakfast time, so we made sure we went up to the Avon restaurant to get a good view.

• Like 1

Ah - here’s the news item I was looking for

”Vaccines Minister”, Nahim Zawali, saying people should defer booking summer holidays 

Sorry if that’s a downer - I’m sure it will be - but it’s probably as well to be as informed as you can be

Round Britain cruise it is then! 🙄

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-far-too-early-for-britons-to-think-about-booking-summer-holidays-minister-says-12199116

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Ah - here’s the news item I was looking for

”Vaccines Minister”, Nahim Zawali, saying people should defer booking summer holidays 

Sorry if that’s a downer - I’m sure it will be - but it’s probably as well to be as informed as you can be

Round Britain cruise it is then! 🙄

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-far-too-early-for-britons-to-think-about-booking-summer-holidays-minister-says-12199116

A round Britain cruise would suit me nicely this summer, I think it may be a bit busy though now a fair few of the smaller ships which were better suited to some of the smaller ports have been scrapped. 

• Like 4

I think there’s a lot to be said for it -

boost for UK tourism

boost for cruises - chance to attract new cruisers

bio-security

a total relaxing pamper-fest for people who’ve been working hard

possibility of trialing pick-ups at northern ports?

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, joeecco said:

Our wedding is onboard in July. 

I do hope your wedding cruise goes ahead, and that is not just because we also have a cruise booked for July.

I think P&O obviously still hope they can salvage some of the summer fly cruise season, so I doubt they will be making any announcement until it certain one way or the other.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2021 at 11:13 AM, joeecco said:

On the website, the list of cruises after searching now says ‘View Itinerary’ in the red box instead of book now.  But when you click on you can still press book now. Had a mini panic for a second haha! Maybe they are starting to edit the website ready for an easier transition 

I might be interested in a Round  Britain cruise (We did one with Princess in 2019) but only if we could visit ports.I wouldn't want just a scenic cruise

• Like 1

I'm desperate to have a summer cruise, but not around the UK. The thought of two weeks poor weather cooped up inside mostly and with fellow Brit's too fills me with dread. Sorry, but I'm an outdoors guy that's worked solidly indoors since March (other than a week in Madrid last August). I'm just not prepare to risk the UK weather!

• Like 2

Just now, Esprit said:

I'm desperate to have a summer cruise, but not around the UK. The thought of two weeks poor weather cooped up inside mostly and with fellow Brit's too fills me with dread. Sorry, but I'm an outdoors guy that's worked solidly indoors since March (other than a week in Madrid last August). I'm just not prepare to risk the UK weather!

Have to agree.  Also, with all the restrictions planned, we wouldn't go.  You can only eat with your own group, no buffet (although that wouldn't stop me going), then there is the vaccination passport which doesn't look like any time soon.  I can imagine even for a Round Britain they will insist on vaccinations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

I think there’s a lot to be said for it -

boost for UK tourism

boost for cruises - chance to attract new cruisers

bio-security

a total relaxing pamper-fest for people who’ve been working hard

possibility of trialing pick-ups at northern ports?

Sounds good to me, they could look at the MSC model of picking up and dropping off in different ports. Southampton, Newcastle, Invergordon, Liverpool, Dublin, Belfast, Bristol to name some of the bigger ports I have docked at. It won't suit everybody but I would imagine there would be plenty of takers this year.

• Like 5

If there’s no flying (or driving) to the sun and no foreign cruises, then the choice isn’t half restricted 

UK only,  but that’s potentially restricted too, as many of the activities one would expect in a city break would be in jeopardy.  Shopping(!), museums, theatre - can we expect them to be fully open?  Probably not, much as they’d like to be

So, countryside and seaside sound like they might be a bit full

Cruising is an alternative, and as I said, could offer a really nice break for some first-timers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ann141 said:

I might be interested in a Round  Britain cruise (We did one with Princess in 2019) but only if we could visit ports.I wouldn't want just a scenic cruise

Wee were actually booked on the July one round the UK  in July on Arcadia. After a lot of thought we have now transferred to a 22 cruise. I think if it did go ahead they would still require masks to be worn etc. If we waited for them to cancel, 2022 prices are already being effected by people transferring over, and we didnt want to not be able to afford to cruise. Its def a between a rock and a hard place situation.  I am also not sure if when they do start up again...will they pick one ship, do UK cruises on that to see how things go, instead of just launching into cruises already arranged. Remember they will need to be able to get crew here...they would all have to be vaccinated, plus i think countries will say  you have to be vaccinated before entering them.

On 1/25/2021 at 12:33 PM, zap99 said:

We just finished the watching the bay. The beach seems quite roomy with the tide out.good for social distancing 🤣

So have I! It made me look up the Midland hotel, looked lovely!

2 hours ago, the english lady said:

Wee were actually booked on the July one round the UK  in July on Arcadia. After a lot of thought we have now transferred to a 22 cruise. I think if it did go ahead they would still require masks to be worn etc. If we waited for them to cancel, 2022 prices are already being effected by people transferring over, and we didnt want to not be able to afford to cruise. Its def a between a rock and a hard place situation.  I am also not sure if when they do start up again...will they pick one ship, do UK cruises on that to see how things go, instead of just launching into cruises already arranged. Remember they will need to be able to get crew here...they would all have to be vaccinated, plus i think countries will say  you have to be vaccinated before entering them.

Same here, we moved our 2021 cruise to 2022 a few weeks ago, partly due to the restrictions onboard, partly due to seeing the 2022 prices rising.

The only place i can see me going this year is self catering in the Uk. Different scenery, reading and walking, perhaps some National Trust. Will be most welcome at the moment.

• Like 1

Hello fellow cruisers. Personally I cannot see P&O making any further announcements for the next few weeks.It's not just our country they have to consider. Take a look at Spain Italy France etc. They are not going to encourage any cruise anytime soon. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

Take a look at Spain Italy France etc. They are not going to encourage any cruise anytime soon. 

It's not all doom and gloom.

I would just add that MSC cruises are currently operating with passengers through Italy/Malta/Greece I believe.

MSC Grandiosa is on a sea day on its way to Valetta.

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/news/msc-grandiosa-resumed-service

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

Hello fellow cruisers. Personally I cannot see P&O making any further announcements for the next few weeks.It's not just our country they have to consider. Take a look at Spain Italy France etc. They are not going to encourage any cruise anytime soon. 

I suspect they may cancel some cruises (possibly April) but may sell mini 'scenic' cruises, perhaps round the Brirish Isles.I expect we will find out in due course but a bit frustrating as I would like to know A s a p

• Like 3

14 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Same here, we moved our 2021 cruise to 2022 a few weeks ago, partly due to the restrictions onboard, partly due to seeing the 2022 prices rising.

The only place i can see me going this year is self catering in the Uk. Different scenery, reading and walking, perhaps some National Trust. Will be most welcome at the moment.

We have got 2 self catering holidays booked in the UK. Those are in case the 2 cruises and 2 land holidays don't go. Live in hope.🤔

• Like 1