Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

4 hours ago, sidekick180 said:

OK, thanks for that. I was pretty sure they would not allow that. I will have to wait until they cancel my April cruise. Mind you, I do wonder how quickly I will be able to book another cruise, because I don't know how long it takes for them to confirm the FCC.

If you phone up to do the booking they can see that you have an FCC and should be able to apply it straight away.  The e paperwork showing the FCC should then catch up later.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joeecco said:

Once you’ve had your cruise cancelled and opt for FCC you can then rebook and pay a deposit and get them to add on the FCC at a later stage but you have to speak with them before you do so, I did that and it was fine! I’m not sure which sailing you’re on but if it’s Iona to the fjords, I personally don’t think they will cancel that now, but instead make it scenic only. Will be interested if so as to how they handle the passengers that aren’t happy with that. 

It's not a Fjords cruise. It's a Med cruise on Britannia 25th April. Haven't heard anything yet about them cancelling, but I can't see how they can go ahead with it, especailly as the virus is still spreading like wildfire. I know we have the vaccine being rolled out, but not many other countries are anywhere near the same levels of vaccinations as the UK. I doubt if I will be getting my first dose much before the summer. I will wait a few more weeks to see if they cancel. If they don't, I still have up to 26th March to transfer our cruise. Just means I wouldn't benefit from the FCC if I transferred and then they cancel it.

56 minutes ago, sidekick180 said:

It's not a Fjords cruise. It's a Med cruise on Britannia 25th April. Haven't heard anything yet about them cancelling, but I can't see how they can go ahead with it, especailly as the virus is still spreading like wildfire. I know we have the vaccine being rolled out, but not many other countries are anywhere near the same levels of vaccinations as the UK. I doubt if I will be getting my first dose much before the summer. I will wait a few more weeks to see if they cancel. If they don't, I still have up to 26th March to transfer our cruise. Just means I wouldn't benefit from the FCC if I transferred and then they cancel it.

We had a cruise booked for 6th May on Britannia and we cancelled it and moved it to May 2022. We could have waited and see if P&O cancelled it but even though we might have got a little bit extra FCC we jumped early to get a good cabin and I have no doubt that since we cancelled and moved the cruise in November the price of the 2022 cruise will have increased by now and the early booking discounts would have finished so think we are better off.

• Like 1

I see on the Princess thread that Princess have cancelled all cruises of more than 7 days, leaving from US ports, for the whole of 2021. Perhaps not as dramatic as it sounds,  because Princess do a lot of 7 day cruises for the US market. However,  I wonder if it will have any implications for P&O Caribbean cruises this autumn ?

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I see on the Princess thread that Princess have cancelled all cruises of more than 7 days, leaving from US ports, for the whole of 2021. Perhaps not as dramatic as it sounds,  because Princess do a lot of 7 day cruises for the US market. However,  I wonder if it will have any implications for P&O Caribbean cruises this autumn ?

I believe that the US authorities currently have imposed a maximum  limit of 7 days for any cruises starting and finishing in US ports.  So I doubt it will have any effect on P&Os cruises in the Caribbean.

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I believe that the US authorities currently have imposed a maximum  limit of 7 days for any cruises starting and finishing in US ports.  So I doubt it will have any effect on P&Os cruises in the Caribbean.

That's probably true, but I wondered if it might have an influence on the policies of the various islands that P&O visit.

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Now that is useful information.  Where does it say that about 30 days before departure for the balance.  That would make a tremendous difference to us.

Currently it only applies to cruises due to be sailing up to the end of June, so I imagine it will only be extended if and when they make any further cancellations.

Edited by terrierjohn

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

CDC limited all cruises which sail out of/in to US ports until early September to a Max of seven nights.  That was imposed several weeks back and companies like Princess/HAL acted swiftly to it, even contacting people who were booked on back to backs to ask which cruise they wanted cancelled. 

Not a new thing at all and there was a lot of discussion on those forums when it was imposed.  I understood it as beginning and end of cruise in US ports as there was mention of pre and post cruise proceedures.

Edited by tring

22 minutes ago, tring said:

CDC limited all cruises which sail out of/in to US ports until early September to a Max of seven nights.  That was imposed several weeks back and companies like Princess/HAL acted swiftly to it, even contacting people who were booked on back to backs to ask which cruise they wanted cancelled. 

Not a new thing at all and there was a lot of discussion on those forums when it was imposed.  I understood it as beginning and end of cruise in US ports as there was mention of pre and post cruise proceedures.

It's only new in the sense that Princess have decided to apply the 7 day rule to the whole of 2021, so they obviously expect no major improvement to the CV19 situation for the rest of this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It's only new in the sense that Princess have decided to apply the 7 day rule to the whole of 2021, so they obviously expect no major improvement to the CV19 situation for the rest of this year. 

I imagine that they are taking extra precautions because Princess is the cruise line with the biggest dent in its reputation in the eyes of the media after last years events. So they must be wanting to tread extra carefully and let the other lines take the first steps with going back to a ‘normal’ operation. 

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Maybe they have had some guidance from CDC that this ban is likely to extend through 2021, regardless of when  cruising restarts.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Maybe they have had some guidance from CDC that this ban is likely to extend through 2021, regardless of when  cruising restarts.

True. I suppose it also makes it easier to assume that the 7 day ruling will be in place for the whole of 2021, so there will be no need to cancel 10 day cruises, B2B cruises etc.

Begs the question, will Sky Princess operate out of Southampton throughout autumn/winter 2021/22.

Could be some cheap cruises out there, CV19 permitting!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tring said:

P&O and Cunard have paused selling affected cruises but not cancelled them pending further developments.

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Currently it only applies to cruises due to be sailing up to the end of June, so I imagine it will only be extended if and when they make any further cancellations.

Hi John, my TA just confirmed that, so we will wait and see.  Ours is a 19 nighter next October, so lots of time yet.  7 day cruises are a no-no for us.  Hardly worth packing!!

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

True. I suppose it also makes it easier to assume that the 7 day ruling will be in place for the whole of 2021, so there will be no need to cancel 10 day cruises, B2B cruises etc.

Begs the question, will Sky Princess operate out of Southampton throughout autumn/winter 2021/22.

Could be some cheap cruises out there, CV19 permitting!

An interesting thought but I assume Sky Princess already has a winter season planned for sunnier climes.

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Hi John, my TA just confirmed that, so we will wait and see.  Ours is a 19 nighter next October, so lots of time yet.  7 day cruises are a no-no for us.  Hardly worth packing!!

Jean, I don't think the UK will limit Southampton sailings to 7 days, but I was wrong once before in the last decade.😇

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

P&O and Cunard have paused selling affected cruises but not cancelled them pending further developments.

I see that the QM2 TAs and USA / Canada cruise in September is only for sale now in 4 x 7 day cruises rather than the 28 days that we booked. Can they get around the regs by saying that they are only 7 day cruises even though some people stay on board for longer?

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

An interesting thought but I assume Sky Princess already has a winter season planned for sunnier climes.

Princess have already delayed the TA for the Autumn Caribbean season, hence the cheap cruise from Southampton that some of us have booked in October. So it is entirely feasible that they will further delay the return to the US. 

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

While Cunard do have a few cruises that start and finish in US ports, I dont believe P&O have any.

Moley has previously said P&O have suspended sales of the Aurora cruise to New York and back, next September.  That is a UK round trip, but that action was taken some time after the CDC requirement, which does not seem to automatically affect that cruise.  His comment previously was that it was being suspended until CDC make a decision on whether it would be allowed to take place, so presumably some discussions going on behind the scenes.

3 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I see that the QM2 TAs and USA / Canada cruise in September is only for sale now in 4 x 7 day cruises rather than the 28 days that we booked. Can they get around the regs by saying that they are only 7 day cruises even though some people stay on board for longer?

Princess (or the authorities)  have not allowed people to book 7 day B2Bs from US ports. Cutting the 28 cruise into 4 segments would appear to indicate that B2Bs will not be possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Hi we have a round trip transatlantic booked on QM 2 on 9th June 21 and had no notification about the cruise been on hold or any other info from Cunard would like some indication of what may happen so we can move our cruise to a later date.

Haven't been here for a while. My thoughts entirely. I dont think cruising will open up until all countries have got the majority of their population vaccinated. I feel they will want everyone entering their country to be vaccinated before entry is allowed. Having spent millions to get a country out of this, I dont think they will welcome 1,000's coming in in one go, without a vaccination card. A bit like yellow fever. what do others feel. I am also not expecting an American ships to come over this year. Their season is approx april-Oct. Well they will not be coming over in april, so will they come over for a much shorter season. I would hope we would not have a transatlantic coming over here, without them all being vaccinated. 

• Like 6