Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

29 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Thanks Mercury. I haven't looked at the 2022 cruises yet, I'm stll trying navigate my way through 2021. I don't mean to be a Jonah, but  look what  happened with Oriana and Oceana!!

Avril

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

To be honest, that means nothing. Historically P&O have continued to sell cruises on ships right up until the day they announce the ship has been sold.

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

And Adonia.

Aware of all that just think if any were to leave in the next 12-18 months Arcadia would be first on the list IMHO.

8 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Aware of all that just think if any were to leave in the next 12-18 months Arcadia would be first on the list IMHO.

I think Carnival have plenty of old ships in their own brand to choose from to get rid of.

If it was a choice between Arcadia and Aurora I would say Aurora just because she is older and smaller.

I'm not sure that I can see any logic in selling Arcadia before Aurora. Bigger ship, lower operating costs etc. 

Anyone got a counter view? ( noticec I didn't use the phrase counter argument!)

Edited by wowzz
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Why do you think that? Arcadia is younger, has more balcony cabins and being powered by azipods she is far more manoeuvreable than Aurora.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Why do you think that? Arcadia is younger, has more balcony cabins and being powered by azipods she is far more manoeuvreable than Aurora.

Even Ventura doesn't have azipods and the reason she had problems and couldn't get into Amsterdam on our 2016 new year's cruise because of strong winds up the canal.

Edited by grapau27

30 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Royal Caribbean have just announced a pause on cruising up to April 30th.

I suspect P&O (Carnival) will be watching with interest.

This is more or less in line with P&O now then. Shows that P&O did right by cancelling in bulk I suppose. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Because that is my humble opinion!

Edited by mercury7289
  • Like 2

Personally think if it was down to P&O and not Carnival they would keep Aurora she was built and designed for then British market where Arcadia wasnt it was passed on from Holland America and Cunard and then onto P&O. Also even though we have a cruise booked for Arcadia in August I think Aurora is a lot nicer ship IMO.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Personally think if it was down to P&O and not Carnival they would keep Aurora she was built and designed for then British market where Arcadia wasnt it was passed on from Holland America and Cunard and then onto P&O. Also even though we have a cruise booked for Arcadia in August I think Aurora is a lot nicer ship IMO.

It would be interesting to know which is the most profitable!

3 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Because that is my humble opinion!

Is that a measured opinion, or merely your own desire?

IMHO either could go because I have reservations about both, Arcadia might be OK if its accessible balcony cabins were bigger, and Aurora had too many niggles to encourage me to book another cruise on her.

18 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

IMHO either could go because I have reservations about both, Arcadia might be OK if its accessible balcony cabins were bigger, and Aurora had too many niggles to encourage me to book another cruise on her.

Very measured, but do not need to answer to you!

23 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

What niggles do you have about Aurora? We have booked for the final sailing currently listed Oct 30th 22. 

12 hours ago, tring said:

Thanks.  I assume you have got that from a Carnival Corp statement.  No comment from Molecrochip after someone said yesterday that another ship is to go.  Then again he may not know which ships will be affected.   

It was a subtle change. I don't have details of which is the 'extra' ship'.

I'm not aware P&O or Carnival are at risk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, joeecco said:

What niggles do you have about Aurora? We have booked for the final sailing currently listed Oct 30th 22. 

My niggles are mainly the fact that it has far inferior accessible features than the newer ships.  That and the older style and poor standard balconies, uncomfortably soft seating in the theatre, and poor wheelchair access just about everywhere. For AB passengers you need to seek their views. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, joeecco said:

I cannot comment on the disabled cabins and access issues.

However, I’ve done around 20 cruises on Aurora over the years including two full world cruises and I have loved every moment. Everyone has their favourite ships and so although Aurora is older and therefore more traditional (and yes occasionally has maintenance issues as they all do)  you will have a wonderful time on her......

• Like 6

15 hours ago, joeecco said:

I agree with John, the theatre seats aren't the most comfortable, but I've sat on worse. They're comfortable enough for the show, but I couldn't sit on them for hours😉 No ship is perfect, each has it's own little 'niggles' depending on your personal needs. Aurora is our favourite ship, I don't know why, but we just feel very relaxed and comfortable aboard her. You'll find many on here love Aurora too, so enjoy your cruise on her and don't worry.

Avril

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I agree with John, the theatre seats aren't the most comfortable, but I've sat on worse. They're comfortable enough for the show, but I couldn't sit on them for hours😉 No ship is perfect, each has it's own little 'niggles' depending on your personal needs. Aurora is our favourite ship, I don't know why, but we just feel very relaxed and comfortable aboard her. You'll find many on here love Aurora too, so enjoy your cruise on her and don't worry.

Avril

Usually the place itself is very small and they try to fit in as many people as possible. This is why it really isnt comfortable in general. Well, in any case its not like you are going to sit there for hours so it shouldnt really be a problem 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Usually the place itself is very small and they try to fit in as many people as possible. This is why it really isnt comfortable in general. Well, in any case its not like you are going to sit there for hours so it shouldnt really be a problem 

As always a sightful, helpful and totally irrelevant answer.

• Like 1

Some interesting posts from Molecrochip on the Azura thread this morning if anyone has not seen them.

The way things are going it may not so much be a choice between Arcadia or Aurora being the first to go, so perhaps not a lot of point getting too bothered about it at this stage.  It was always said that they will likely be the last to re start anyway.  I am thinking a holiday in the UK might be as good as we can expect this summer, but we will see.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tring said:

Some interesting posts from Molecrochip on the Azura thread this morning if anyone has not seen them.

The way things are going it may not so much be a choice between Arcadia or Aurora being the first to go, so perhaps not a lot of point getting too bothered about it at this stage.  It was always said that they will likely be the last to re start anyway.  I am thinking a holiday in the UK might be as good as we can expect this summer, but we will see.

I rate the info and advice we get from Prof Devi Sridhar, the Chair of Global Public Health at the University of Edinburgh.

She says give up on foreign travel for 2021, have a normal Xmas & New Year and return to normality or near normality for the UK 2022 summer season.

It may be discouraging for some but I am still amazed at the speed of vaccine development.  I honestly thought it would take at least 5years before we could think like that and, in my darkest hours, wondered if I’d ever cuddle my granddaughters again, or even live to see the world get back on an even keel.  And I consider myself an optimist, generally.

• Like 7