Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

On 1/24/2021 at 7:31 PM, tring said:

If that is true and has been in response to inside knowledge, does that not mean it would be very clear insider dealing, which carries a very high penalty in the US?  Many years in jail from what I understand.

Same in the UK. When I was a director of a PLC there were ‘black out windows’ prior to all results announcements and any other stock market announcements that might affect the share price. If I had bought or sold shares between those stated dates I would have been dismissed and likely faced a hefty fine or even imprisonment. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Same in the UK. When I was a director of a PLC there were ‘black out windows’ prior to all results announcements and any other stock market announcements that might affect the share price. If I had bought or sold shares between those stated dates I would have been dismissed and likely faced a hefty fine or even imprisonment. 

Just for clarity (as I now realise that others explained ‘closed periods’ after the post that I was responding to, which was referring to US laws), I wasn’t in any way suggesting that Carnival Directors had done anything wrong. I was merely pointing out that the rules and penalties on director share dealings are just as strict in the UK.

• Like 1

Just a thought re ‘scenic cruising’ that gets mentioned quite regularly when discussing the eventual resumption of cruising. I can see that working in the Norwegian Fjords, as cruising the fjord itself is spectacular (well, the big 3 are - Geiranger, Flaam & Olden), but where else? On all the other cruises that we have been on, the ships have to be sufficiently far away from the coast that, whilst you can see land, you certainly can’t make much out and it would be a huge stretch to call it a ‘scenic cruise’.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Just a thought re ‘scenic cruising’ that gets mentioned quite regularly when discussing the eventual resumption of cruising. I can see that working in the Norwegian Fjords, as cruising the fjord itself is spectacular (well, the big 3 are - Geiranger, Flaam & Olden), but where else? On all the other cruises that we have been on, the ships have to be sufficiently far away from the coast that, whilst you can see land, you certainly can’t make much out and it would be a huge stretch to call it a ‘scenic cruise’.

Yes, Norway Fjords would be spectacular scenery, if they cruise there. I have 2 identical cruises booked on Iona, one in May and the other in September. Both have long sail ins to Gieranger and Olden so I would be happy with that. The May cruise will probably not happen and at least the final balance is not due until April. The September final balance is due in June and I need to know if the scenic parts of the cruise will go ahead before I pay the final balance. Maybe better to cancel and forget about 2021, but that is 2 years out of my life and I am not getting any younger.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

On an episode of Mighty Cruise Ships, featuring Viking Sea, they went a past a hill with a hole in it!  Its called Torghatten.  

Might find that only Aurora and Arcadia can get close enough for a good view though.

Yes - on our one and only Fred cruise on the Boudicca we did a sail past the Torgahatten and also sailed into Trollfjord which in a long narrow fjord that opens out at the end with just enough room for Boudicca to do a 360 and sail out. According to the Captain, Boudicca was the largest ship that could tackle that manoeuvre. 

Unfortunately none of the remaining P&O ships are small enough so maybe the Torghatten option is a non-starter. The Trollfjord would definitely be off-limits

P1090820.JPG

P1090690.JPG

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Wish they’d just get it over with. 

And me, if the Azura summer season is cancelled and our Sept cruise is lost we are going to replace it with a land holiday, has more chance of going ahead than a cruise I think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

And me, if the Azura summer season is cancelled and our Sept cruise is lost we are going to replace it with a land holiday, has more chance of going ahead than a cruise I think.

Our wedding is onboard in July. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Sky website front page says Minister warns Britons against planning summer holidays 😕but I’m blowed if I can find any further details.  (It’s in their ‘rolling news’ bit)

It was the vaccine minister being interviewed. I think he was just repeating the current script.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

I feel for you - must be terribly unsettling. Do you have a plan B?

Nope and we don’t want one. We want to get married at sea and we want it to be this year. This is why we just want to get the announcement over with. Our wedding is the only thing getting us through right now, we are both struggling so much. We are trying to help

each other but it’s so difficult when you’re struggling yourself. 

• Like 8

Just now, joeecco said:

Nope and we don’t want one. We want to get married at sea and we want it to be this year. This is why we just want to get the announcement over with. Our wedding is the only thing getting us through right now, we are both struggling so much. We are trying to help

Fingers firmly crossed for you and I can see why you're both struggling - organising a land wedding without a pandemic is stressful enough (3 daughters married in the space of four years)😮

Take care, I hope your cruise goes ahead, and you know where we all are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Oh dear. That is so unsettling for you. I’m keeping everything crossed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AnnieC said:

Fingers firmly crossed for you and I can see why you're both struggling - organising a land wedding without a pandemic is stressful enough (3 daughters married in the space of four years)😮

Take care, I hope your cruise goes ahead, and you know where we all are.

That’s very kind of you. Thanks for your comforting words xx

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Keep positive. Cinderella will go to the ball. Best wishes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Stick with it - I know it’s unsettling.

You are top of my list as far as trying to find information out goes.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Stick with it - I know it’s unsettling.

You are top of my list as far as trying to find information out goes.

Wow thank you so much. Your insight has been so useful. Hopefully the announcement brings us good news. We’ll happily take an itinerary change haha. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, davecttr said:

Maybe better to cancel and forget about 2021, but that is 2 years out of my life and I am not getting any younger

My sentiments exactly Dave. As things are right now we have to live in the moment, that's why I'm not looking for cruises in 2022 just yet. and hoping the one's we have booked for this year will go ahead.

Avril

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, joeecco said:

We are all hoping that our cruises go ahead this year, but the one cruise I am praying sails, is yours. Please don't give up hope. 

Avril

• Like 13