Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

As P&O has no more clue than any of us as to when cruising may eventually resume, given the number of things that will have be sorted first (UK vaccination levels, whilst progressing fantastically, are just one factor of many), I am struck by the increasing number of marketing emails that I have been receiving from them lately. It feels like several a week, some of which remind me that I have some FCC to use up. I can’t help but wonder if this big marketing push is as much about trying to help cash flow than anything else?

Whilst the uncertainty is frustrating, I often wonder how the crew are coping back home in India etc. We have made many friends amongst the staff over the years. Most of them were being paid far more than even the professions in their home countries and I doubt that they have anything like the welfare systems that we have in the UK. I suspect that many of them must be really struggling. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

As P&O has no more clue than any of us as to when cruising may eventually resume, given the number of things that will have be sorted first (UK vaccination levels, whilst progressing fantastically, are just one factor of many), I am struck by the increasing number of marketing emails that I have been receiving from them lately. It feels like several a week, some of which remind me that I have some FCC to use up. I can’t help but wonder if this big marketing push is as much about trying to help cash flow than anything else?

Whilst the uncertainty is frustrating, I often wonder how the crew are coping back home in India etc. We have made many friends amongst the staff over the years. Most of them were being paid far more than even the professions in their home countries and I doubt that they have anything like the welfare systems that we have in the UK. I suspect that many of them must be really struggling. 

Agree with all of this, also makes me smile when marketing bods are talking to marketing bods. 

Edited by mercury7289

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes I’ve noticed a sudden increase in marketing emails too.

Such a worrying time for the crew. I also notice the news always mentions the flight industry  worries but hardly ever mentions the cruise industry.

• Like 1

I have noticed the marketing bumph has increased significantly, we were getting flyers and brochures almost every day from one company, I emailed them several times and albeit I got replies saying they would stop sending the mail it kept coming. I sent one brochure back as unsolicited mail and have not received anything since.

• Like 1

I'm sure trying to get some new deposits in the coffers is a major factor in the marketing surge. Also however, I think they are trying to make sure that potential customers don't forget them or get out of the habit of thinking about cruising. Most of us on here are, to one degree or another, cruise addicts but there are many folk that look on it as just another holiday. P&O want those people to keep their company in mind.

Personally, I think Fred Olsen has been much better at that. They post on facecloth every day and email you if you are on their list. Sometimes it is about a port or itinerary, other times more general. They have a weekly live quiz every Thursday, encourage "walk a mile" on Wednesdays and have some of their regular entertainers doing live performances.

• Like 2

January is typically a popular month for booking cruises. Last Monday P&O launched their latest marketing campaign.

It's a difficult call as to whether you advertise or not. Given that P&O can sell cruises up to October 22, when airlines are limited to 360 days and package holiday operators aren't yet selling Summer 2022, its a no-brainer to go ahead.

Additionally, if 50% of bookings are using FCC then no new funds are flowing in. I'm sure what P&O are trying to do is minimise the amount of FCC that is still around when Winter 2022 and Spring 2023 go on sale.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

January is typically a popular month for booking cruises. Last Monday P&O launched their latest marketing campaign.

It's a difficult call as to whether you advertise or not. Given that P&O can sell cruises up to October 22, when airlines are limited to 360 days and package holiday operators aren't yet selling Summer 2022, its a no-brainer to go ahead.

Additionally, if 50% of bookings are using FCC then no new funds are flowing in. I'm sure what P&O are trying to do is minimise the amount of FCC that is still around when Winter 2022 and Spring 2023 go on sale.

But if 50% of bookings are FCC, that means that the other 50% aren’t, so surely they are new funds flowing in? Not saying it’s wrong, as I would do the same if I were them!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Understand that, but they must also be looking to get guests who are due to experience further pauses, to move their bookings forward as FCC, thereby reducing there cash outflow when the announcement finally comes and guests seek refunds instead?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Have you heard when they are planning to make next announcement then?

also, when are they releasing Gala 2 details and then going on sale for next season? We are hoping they launch Gala 2 in the Gulf for the first season! 

45 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Understand that, but they must also be looking to get guests who are due to experience further pauses, to move their bookings forward as FCC, thereby reducing there cash outflow when the announcement finally comes and guests seek refunds instead?

This sounds a very likely scenario and they have kept customers money in house as well as giving a positive vibe for future cruises.

2 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Have you heard when they are planning to make next announcement then?

also, when are they releasing Gala 2 details and then going on sale for next season? We are hoping they launch Gala 2 in the Gulf for the first season! 

We have been on 2 Emirates cruises on RC and they were fairly cheap as have more recent cruiselines prices to the Arabian Gulf so maybe not a very profitable itinerary for a new ship.

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have been on 2 Emirates cruises on RC and they were fairly cheap as have more recent cruiselines prices to the Arabian Gulf so maybe not a very profitable itinerary for a new ship.

They are selling Iona fjords cruises for 2022 for 599 each so it’s still a good option. Remember the bigger ship, the more passengers so lower prices don’t necessarily mean lower profit. MSC are a great example of how big ships and low prices lead to nice profits! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, joeecco said:

They are selling Iona fjords cruises for 2022 for 599 each so it’s still a good option. Remember the bigger ship, the more passengers so lower prices don’t necessarily mean lower profit. MSC are a great example of how big ships and low prices lead to nice profits! 

There were no tender ports on our Arabian cruises so that would be in Iona2 favour.

It is a short winter cruising period around the Gulf because of the heat and humidity in summer.

2 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

I guess that quite a lot of any upcoming refunds  will be deposit only, so only minimal cash outflow for those that don't opt for the FCC. 

44 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

There were no tender ports on our Arabian cruises so that would be in Iona2 favour.

It is a short winter cruising period around the Gulf because of the heat and humidity in summer.

Can Gala II actually refuel in the Gulf?

8 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Still cash outflow.!

At £50 per person deposit , the admin costs alone almost negate the cash flow benefit. 

Carnival won't survive by relying on deposits to finance their debts.

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

At £50 per person deposit , the admin costs alone almost negate the cash flow benefit. 

Carnival won't survive by relying on deposits to finance their debts.

Pre Covid paid £630 deposit for B2B Aurora select balcony 35 nights embarking May 1st 2021.

Every little helps!

Just seen this posted somewhere else. 

The following links were given:-

https://www.hospitalityandcateringnews.com/2021/01/government-extends-lockdown-july/?fbclid=IwAR0Hbk0A9t1Qn65xUsWdqNjOwfOih2rC96kdGkYgqVbwTGrSLgWt15ADujI

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/8/made?fbclid=IwAR2W9a91CWTWVv_3yU5EQTbCRxVuuaqvuw5oeZTxxvoV_Tqg8JNIwpfYbT8

The poster works in the hospitality industry and says  opening dates have been given by the Government and they are:-  "Retail and leisure won’t be open again until late April / May at the earliest and UK hotels won’t be open until July."

I presume plans can always change, but does not look good for the summer, especially cruising, from what I can see.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don’t have a crystal ball, so can only say “Who knows” when changes, hopefully improvements might come.

However, I do know my own psyche and that of those close to me.  I cannot imagine the depth of despair we might feel if things are ‘set free’ for a few weeks in summer, like last year, but we end up locked down again in January 2022 

Boring, boring, boring, I know, but the vaccines have given us the start of a Get Out of Jail card.  If we use it carefully and accept short term pain for long term gain we might get there.  Please don’t blow it! 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, tring said:

Just seen this posted somewhere else. 

The following links were given:-

https://www.hospitalityandcateringnews.com/2021/01/government-extends-lockdown-july/?fbclid=IwAR0Hbk0A9t1Qn65xUsWdqNjOwfOih2rC96kdGkYgqVbwTGrSLgWt15ADujI

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/8/made?fbclid=IwAR2W9a91CWTWVv_3yU5EQTbCRxVuuaqvuw5oeZTxxvoV_Tqg8JNIwpfYbT8

The poster works in the hospitality industry and says  opening dates have been given by the Government and they are:-  "Retail and leisure won’t be open again until late April / May at the earliest and UK hotels won’t be open until July."

I presume plans can always change, but does not look good for the summer, especially cruising, from what I can see.

I think life on land has got to be sorted out before they can even contemplate life at sea. 

• Like 9