Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

One major factor that must be remembered and mentioned by a few senior executives within cruise companies is that most cruise lines will need 3 months notice to get up and running again. Ships need to be got back up to ship shape standards, crew newly trained, repatriated and contacts offered and signed. So if UK government said on March 1st that cruises could restart then by that reckoning you would be looking at resumption around June 1st. I do not anticipate any cruises leaving UK shores before September 2021 at the very earliest.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

Are we all waiting for news from P&O.? I think it will be a few more weeks before they decide.

Im sure that the decision was made ages ago although, in reality, the decision is made for them. The delay in announcing it is purely to hold on to cash for as long as they can which, as each month of suspension goes by, becomes more and more critical. The volume of marketing emails that I am receiving from P&O now almost smacks of desperation although, as I have said before, if I was P&O I would be doing the same.

15 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Ok, so it's 10.05am and still no announcement....so it's either late or going in to its normal Tuesday slot.

TUI chit-chit on Faceache appears to be inaccurate (for now) 🤔

I wonder if P and O are going to inform TUI and other TA's today before they announce it to us tomorrow

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

We basically already know that May is cancelled as Moley said the issue is whether to cancel June too or hold out. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Ok, so it's 10.05am and still no announcement....so it's either late or going in to its normal Tuesday slot.

TUI chit-chit on Faceache appears to be inaccurate (for now) 🤔

Tui announced a delay to starting their river cruises a while back to June 1st but I haven't heard anything about Marella.

20 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I wonder if P and O are going to inform TUI and other TA's today before they announce it to us tomorrow

If I remember correctly, P&O tend to do a conference call with TA's etc just before announcing publicly, 30 minutes before?  I suppose to stop as much gossip as possible.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Maybe Ann.  If I remember correctly from the previous rounds, the P&O staff and TA's do get an advance briefing. 

However, I thought that this was on the morning of the announcement to minimise the number of lost bookings (i.e., P&O will happily sell a cruise in May, although we all know that it is unlikely to sail).

Will keep checking tomorrow morning 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1