The Daily for Saturday Jan 16, 2021

richwmn

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Thank heavens we don’t have Prohibition now with this dam virus.

796D6135-CDFC-4F5D-9ECC-DCFF4FE46AF9.jpeg.cf9a218d55e2d1953dd69038adc84bf9.jpeg

Loved Anne McCaffrey’s world of dragons she created in her books.  LOL it’s Nothing Day every day 😄 

Love the quote and the meal sounds great but we just had chicken last night and Spanish Rice for DH 😉  Haven’t had a Manhattan for years.  It was one of my parents “go to” drinks when they sat down to chat for 15 minutes before the hustle and bustle of dinner and taking care of 7 others.

We were all so relieved that my brother in law’s mother was given the all clear a few days ago.  Sadly, they were wrong - she has been rushed to the hospital with low oxygen and a high fever 😢 This does not bode well, I fear 😭 

The vaccine can’t come soon enough.  I hope things get moved up.  For anyone sceptical of the vaccine, remember:

1B8E38B0-CA84-423E-986F-876A6AF2A452.jpeg.e9943fa8d4e814853a515aa6d53292c4.jpeg

Speaking of raising the dead:

78D0F50E-AE3A-4EC8-A38F-9FFFAEF84002.jpeg.297ec2d535e100a5b5b8cb7f3c27061c.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  

It’s going to be a crazy Saturday here weather wise - storm coming and then a Polar Vortex.  Hope everyone has a good Saturday no matter what you weather.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

Sorry to hear about your brothers MIL, the virus is insidious.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, KirkNC said:
  21 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Great photos!  How close do you actually get to these monsters?

here is a pic where we were walking pretty close to toddler komodos 

and when we were walking from the pier, there was one lying in the shade  the pier, just a few feet by where we all were passing.  

In any case, we were pretty darn close 

Carol

01C8F38B-B3A0-4A46-BB56-13354A36C177.jpeg

EAF6E425-EFF0-4AEE-ACDE-71AC24AD48AC.jpeg

Edited by CJcruzer
  • Like 17

Good morning -- it's the first day of a three-day weekend for me, so I'm doing a happy dance this morning. Positive thoughts and prayers to those with loved ones fighting COVID.

Manhattans were the first "grown up" cocktail I remember trying -- on board a cruise ship at the captain's cocktail party, back in the day when they used to bring around trays with only 4-5 different cocktails to choose from. Then I discovered martinis. If only I could get them like I order everything else these days:

image.png.90237dadf67bccd03a20bed51d5dc474.png 

Of course, I shall toast in remembrance of Prohibition (or perhaps better to say "the end of Prohibition").

@StLouisCruisers  Interesting story about the Clydesdales. I love their commercials too. In the course of my career I at one time at the opportunity to work with Joan Embery, who used to be the animal ambassador for the San Diego zoo and who became famous through appearances on the Johnny Carson show (she was the one always bringing funny and odd animals...).  In her post-zoo career she and her husband took up draft horse racing. I remember her lamenting that she would've liked Clydesdales, but A-B always bought the best ones!

@ger_77 and @cat shepard  Thank you!!  Finally a fitness regimen I can get behind. Now we'll also need to know how many muscles are used in pouring, raising the wine glass, and swallowing. I will be happy to start researching later today.

@garlictown and @CJcruzer. Love the komodos, both towel and real.

Have a good day, and good luck to all those facing winter storms. Looks like it is truly winter in many areas, according to my scientific research:

image.png.8b2d327ebf1f4143716dc8c23946b927.png 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 15
  • Haha 6

Good morning all. Thanks Rich for the daily. Nothing is what I feel about the weather here.  While it is cold at home the weather here is only running about 20 degrees warmer and the wind hasn’t stopped blowing since I got here last month. I brought clothes for much warmer, summer type weather. Guess that means I could go shopping. Hope everyone has a good weekend. 

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, Himself said:

With the Nieuw Statendam at Freeport does that mean the ship is in dry dock?

NSDM is currently situated off Freeport, there is no indication about any dry dock.

nsdm.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We have a trip planned that includes Komodo Island, so I did some reading about the dragons.  Wow, bad critters!  Can run up to 11 mph (!), and their bite is venomous.  I read they eat water buffalo.  How?  They give it a little nip, then stroll after it for awhile until it dies.  New respect for big lizards.

The memes are delightful today!  I literally did some LOL.  Thank you all for finding those.

@kazu, so sorry about your BIL’s mother.  Hoping she is able to overcome.  

Damn virus and all its mutations.

I think most, if not all, on the Daily are maskers.  Good for us!

• Like 15

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Thank you for your list Roy. Love your pictures of your meal suggestion and two servings of the gelato. My DH would have done the same thing. 

The closest thing to dragons that I’ve ever seen is a Gila Monster. 

1926B82A-8A70-4EF6-9E7F-C68F5FCDDDB0.thumb.jpeg.2cc54384ae7f331a9b5693e867c2169d.jpeg

I saw it in our neighborhood while on a walk, not this one though, unfortunately I didn’t have my phone with me to take a picture. It was in one of the washes that run through our neighborhood. They move really slow and it’s rare to see one in nature like I did. 

@ger_77 you always are so creative with your meals!  Can I ask the name of your pasta bake so I can look up the recipe?  I’m going to the grocery store later to get stove top stuffing mix for the salmon cakes so might add the ingredients for the pasta bake too. 

@kazu I’m hoping that your storm isn’t too bad. I looked up Polar Vortex and see that it is like a cyclone, YIKES 😱🥶

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 15

After a bit of research, I've come to learn that opening and drinking Cardboardeaux is even better for you than drinking bottled wine.  You see, you have to do a squat to pick up the box, there's the clean and jerk you need to do to bring the box to cupboard level, and if you really wanted to, you could do a couple of arm curls with it before setting it down.  Be sure to do both arms though, because you don't want to look lopsided in a tank top on Half Moon Cay. 

Also, you exercise your fine motor skills getting that little circle thingy out and probing to get the spout from inside the box to the outside so you can fill your mug - I mean wineglass.  Each day there are reps you can do with the box, because you really should check - perhaps several times a day - to see how much is left.  Be careful not to do too many, and always hydrate, as you don't want to . . . oh wait, that's what started all of this, isn't it?

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 16
  • Haha 13

8 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

After a bit of research, I've come to learn that opening and drinking Cardboardeaux is even better for you than drinking bottled wine.  You see, you have to do a squat to pick up the box, there's the clean and jerk you need to do to bring the box to cupboard level, and if you really wanted to, you could do a couple of arm curls with it before setting it down.  Be sure to do both arms though, because you don't want to look lopsided in a tank top on Half Moon Cay. 

Also, you exercise your fine motor skills getting that little circle thingy out and probing to get the spout from inside the box to the outside so you can fill your mug - I mean wineglass.  Each day there are reps you can do with the box, because you really should check - perhaps several times a day - to see how much is left.  Be careful not to do too many, and always hydrate, as you don't want to . . . oh wait, that's what started all of this, isn't it?

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I had to show this one to DH.  He's a pro at that workout!🥴

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

@ger_77 you always are so creative with your meals!  Can I ask the name of your pasta bake so I can look up the recipe?  I’m going to the grocery store later to get stove top stuffing mix for the salmon cakes so might add the ingredients for the pasta bake too. 

Sorry, there really isn't a recipe - it's just kind of tossed together.  Here's what I did:  Cook 1/2 bag of your favourite pasta (penne, rotini, fusili),  when it's done, put it into a 9x13 baking dish.  Chop up 2 chicken breasts and saute in a large non-stick pan until they're browned; set them aside in a bowl.  Saute 1 chopped onion and some fresh mushrooms (I used canned because I didn't want to run to the store) until onions are tender.  Add 1 jar pasta sauce to the fry pan along with 1/3 jar water.  Add 3 cloves crushed garlic to the sauce mixture, put the chicken back in the fry pan and boil together for a couple of minutes.  Pour everything on top of the pasta in your 9x13 pan and top with a bag of shredded cheese of your choice.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.   Yum!

BTW, if I'd seen any of those komodo dragons, I'd be having a panic attack; I have a real phobia when it comes to reptiles.  The only thing I can tolerate are the little geckos (preferably the talking one on TV), and turtles.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Himself said:

Rich thanks for the fleet Report.  With the Nieuw Statendam at Freeport does that mean the ship is in dry dock?   I liked your meal suggestion, your wine suggestion and your drink. To all; who post on this thread I hope you have a great day and be safe.  It is nice to be out of Quarentine.

I hope not father.  A ship's first drydock is due at 5 years and Nieuw Statendam is just 2 years old.  I would not expect a drydock unless something was wrong.  I also thought her paint looked pretty good on camera yesterday.

Roy

• Like 7

Good morning from Durango where it is again cold and dry.... but hopefully some snow is on the way. We can but hope. I did have my neighbor bring in a few extras for me just in case she does not want to go to the store next week. Of course, this storm (s) could roll right on by us the way they have been doing.

@kazuI am so sorry to hear about the covid issues. Honestly, this virus just keeps on and on. I went to my Dr. yesterday.... was glad to see no one else in the waiting room. Got a clean bill of health, although I need to get a blood panel run which I will do next week. Have to make a lab appointment. We are running low on vaccines also.... have no idea when I can get mine. Just have to wait I guess.

Am sorting through cruise pictures and doing some weeding out.... and dreaming of the future. Take care everyone. We all need to get back on those ships.

Susan

• Like 17

29 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I knew it! Bottles have nothing on boxes. Unless it’s a case, of course. 

Thank you so much for this, Gerry!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Today's sunrise (actually sunset) is from land and my very first from 2020.  It was taken from Amtrak's Southwest Chief on the way from Chicago to Los Angeles and original Queen Mary, Crystal Serenity, and an all too brief stay on Queen Mary 2:

dusk0116.jpg

Roy

• Like 16

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily!

It's snowing like crazy here this morning. Fortunately I have nowhere to go! Then the polar air arrives.

Interesting days. I do appreciate dragons 🙂 and am good at doing Nothing.

I've never had a Manhattan. Not sure what's for dinner, but maybe chicken.

@kazu Sorry to hear about BIL's mother. Prayers.

@ger_77An excuse for me to buy Cardboardeaux, as I have none!

Prayers for those on the care list and cheers to those on the Celebration lists!

Stay well, be safe and wear your mask!

E05559D4-BAD2-45F7-AF86-F400FD72D777.jpeg

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 19

Oh how I wish this could be a do nothing day for me. This week I have checked into every venue that is open for Covid vaccination appointments at least 4 times daily and there are no slots available. Despite this our governor has decided to open up registration to those 65 and above next Tuesday. I will just have to keep trying to get an appointment slot.

Our weather has been a bit on the cool side but basically wonderful, Low's in the high 30's or low 40's; highs in the low 70's. This is normally the height of our winter visitor season but this year a lot of the usual winter visitors, especially Canadians, have not shown up. Probably a blessing that they are not here as we have been the hotspot in the world several day and the hot spot in the nation otherwise.

Kazu I will add your family to my prayers including your fur baby..

Like all the rest of you I can't wait to be on a HAL ship again. Not scheduled until Thanksgiving cruise to Hawaii.

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 11

I have been to Komodo Island, but had no desire to leave the ship and view the dragons.  I may have a contrary view, but I really dislike the creatures.  I have seen some videos where they lurk around a water hole and then bite either a deer or a water buffalo.  The bite is poisonous, and makes the victim weaker and weaker.  The dragon follows it, and when it falls and can't fight back, it starts to eat it.  The only way I would take an excursion to see them would be if we were allowed to take firearms and shoot them when we saw them.  Sorry if I have offended any komodo dragon lovers here.

Ray

• Like 9

Good morning.  The meal suggestion sounds good, but I took sausage out of the freezer. I liked the wine of the day when I had it on cruises, but I have not found it in the liquor stores.

@kazu So sorry to hear about your BIL’s mom.  Hoping for improvement and recovery soon.

Komodo Island and the dragons are on the bucket list.  We have seen a gila monster in the wild.  They too are supposed to be venomous, unlike their cousin the chuckwalla, which we have also seen.

Lenda

• Like 7

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Good morning -- it's the first day of a three-day weekend for me, so I'm doing a happy dance this morning. Positive thoughts and prayers to those with loved ones fighting COVID.

Manhattans were the first "grown up" cocktail I remember trying -- on board a cruise ship at the captain's cocktail party, back in the day when they used to bring around trays with only 4-5 different cocktails to choose from. Then I discovered martinis. If only I could get them like I order everything else these days:

image.png.90237dadf67bccd03a20bed51d5dc474.png 

Of course, I shall toast in remembrance of Prohibition (or perhaps better to say "the end of Prohibition").

@StLouisCruisers  Interesting story about the Clydesdales. I love their commercials too. In the course of my career I at one time at the opportunity to work with Joan Embery, who used to be the animal ambassador for the San Diego zoo and who became famous through appearances on the Johnny Carson show (she was the one always bringing funny and odd animals...).  In her post-zoo career she and her husband took up draft horse racing. I remember her lamenting that she would've liked Clydesdales, but A-B always bought the best ones!

@ger_77 and @cat shepard  Thank you!!  Finally a fitness regimen I can get behind. Now we'll also need to know how many muscles are used in pouring, raising the wine glass, and swallowing. I will be happy to start researching later today.

@garlictown and @CJcruzer. Love the komodos, both towel and real.

Have a good day, and good luck to all those facing winter storms. Looks like it is truly winter in many areas, according to my scientific research:

image.png.8b2d327ebf1f4143716dc8c23946b927.png 

😉On Komodo Island we were on a Holland America excursion with a small group. The guide (who only had a long pole!) lead us on the designated path to see and take photos of the dragons. The baby komodos hide high up in the trees for a very good reason!!😯

• Like 4