The Daily for Saturday Jan 16, 2021

richwmn

57 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

While we are back to appliances, does anyone have any suggestion on how best to manage fingerprints on stainless steel? 

I don’t clean mine often enough (I fully admit it) so I usually have to do some serious cleaning.  I’ve tried vinegar, soap and water and all that stuff.

I found Bar Keeper’s friend does an incredible job in no time and lasts forever.

E6332711-A024-4C14-A27A-6121FCF3FFD6.thumb.jpeg.583e381b6e3037974c871e28c769dd62.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I was cleaning up after a shopping expedition once and wiping things down with a Lysol disinfecting wipe, and decided to do the fridge door, as the wipe was still pretty damp.  Darned if it didn't clean up the fingerprints, too,  So, two for the price of one - that's what I use now!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Amsterdam departing the port of Incheon, South Korea the same way it came in, via its lock system, her hotel director on deck taking his own pics,  and passing the Wolmi Theme Park and its 115-meter-high Ferris Wheel. We're heading north-west for the Peoples Republic of China, the port of Tianjin specifically

103.JPG

107.JPG

109.JPG

110.JPG

112.JPG

116.JPG

124.JPG

128.JPG

129.JPG

130.JPG

132.JPG

133.JPG

134.JPG

137.JPG

106.JPG

138.JPG

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 20

12 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I was cleaning up after a shopping expedition once and wiping things down with a Lysol disinfecting wipe, and decided to do the fridge door, as the wipe was still pretty damp.  Darned if it didn't clean up the fingerprints, too,  So, two for the price of one - that's what I use now!

+1

• Like 4

I certainly made a mistake in not reading this sooner.  I have done several things today that I had been putting off.  So, I have failed at "Do Nothing" day.

@kazu, sending prayers for the BIL's Mother.  That has to be a real concern for all.  Wish that this horrid virus would just DIE!  So many innocent lives affected.

My "jab" yesterday was non-eventful.  The County had a good plan, and everything was very organized.  I have had no ill effects from the vaccine.  And, I was scheduled for my second one for February 12.  Exactly 28 days for the Moderna vaccine, which I received.

But after I left the shot location, I managed to trip and fall in a parking lot.  Scraped my knee (through my jeans), and hit my head and right hand. So, I am sore in those places, but not in my arm.  Thank goodness it was not serious, and being sore will remind me to be more careful.

My prayers for all on the care list, and celebating all those with good news.  Have a great day everyone.

• Like 13

Good afternoon! Thank you to all of the contributors of this thread. @kazu, I'm sorry that your BIL's mom is not faring well at the moment. Sending prayers. @dfishcongratulations on the pandemic weight loss. Weigh to go! @ger_77I think I'm going to try your workout. I do like the advice to make sure to do both arms equally! @Overhead Fredwe were in San Juan 2 years ago today, too. We'd spent 3 days touring and this was our last day before a Southern Caribbean cruise on the Norwegian Dawn. Norwegian isn't my favourite cruiseline, but the itinerary was just what we wanted. It was my first time to San Juan in 2019 and I would love to go back again some day.

I have been busy working through all the things that need to be done 5-6 weeks before moving households, so may be missing in posting for a bit, but I will be sure to read! Sending prayers for all those that need them and will celebrate all those with exciting things to celebrate this evening.

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind, Wear a mask! 😷

• Like 12

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

While we are back to appliances, does anyone have any suggestion on how best to manage fingerprints on stainless steel? 

I bought fingerprint proof appliances just for that reason. But now that there are no fingerprints all I see is dust. How can a refrigerator accumulate so much dust?

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

But after I left the shot location, I managed to trip and fall in a parking lot.  Scraped my knee (through my jeans), and hit my head and right hand. So, I am sore in those places, but not in my arm.  Thank goodness it was not serious, and being sore will remind me to be more careful.

Oh dear!   Parking lots are the worst!!   I fell at work one day walking to my car.  Six years later my hip still hurts. But I saved my phone and my purse!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I am a tad tired, thanks watching this dam dog and worrying about my brother in law’s mother.

Marley is doing ok.  I am trying not to put him in the cone any more than necessary so I am watching him as much as I can rather than have him unhappy.

so, on this do nothing but watch Marley day, I’m working on the spread sheet for our next cruise in 2022.  And trying to cheer myself up a bit with planning.

Anyone want to join us?  It’s a fabulous itinerary!

A98914B6-A7DD-4B60-A22B-75ACCE434153.thumb.jpeg.31dbcc490a661c808b6ff8f9deee634c.jpeg

That is a nice itinerary.  Actually, if it had some of the smaller ports, it might have been an old Prinsendam one.  Is this the Volendam?  Just today at lunch, we were thinking of the MDR aboard the different HAL ships.  I always preferred the tables with a water view; the S and R ships had the best selection.  The Vista and Signature ships have the right side as you enter mostly blocked and the Pinnacle class even less.

• Like 9

January 16, 2020 we were at last on the ms Westerdam, sailing away on our 30 day adventure in Asia.  Tomorrow will be a sea day and then we’ll begin our private shore excursions, beginning in Thailand.

• Like 10

To continue my travelogue-

The Maasdam left Luganville in January 2020 and the next port was Port-Vila, Vanuatu.  Unfortunately it was a very rainy day.  I saw a sign near the dock that mentioned free wi-fi, so I ventured out.  Turns out the wi-fi was at some business in town, so I went back on the ship.

The next port was Mystery Island, Vanuatu, and it was a beautiful day. It only rained just as I was waiting on the pier for the tender to return to the ship.  This is a totally uninhabited island.  People come from the neighboring islands to operate a few shops and rent out beach chairs.  The most pristine place I think I have ever been.  

20200113_115305.thumb.jpg.65ce2bb370f5ff3f9082118748b87b2a.jpg

The view from the pier.

20200113_115103.thumb.jpg.4c96d92dd04edba4b0d582c9ebdce80c.jpg

Clouds were coming in, but no rain until I was waiting for the tender. 

20200113_115224.thumb.jpg.4f9633e2776f3c7ae5030da5344fb003.jpg

The Maasdam.

20200113_125325.thumb.jpg.8ad4c10bd54e0d49da859d8e334c2421.jpg

And there is always something that is a bit touristy, but fun. I think you could pay to take a picture cooking in the pot. 

20200113_130752.thumb.jpg.9225f9b1c130b1068764b8b5a2f1313f.jpg

The next port will be Noumea, New Calledonia.

Edited by Red Haired Lady
  • Like 21

2 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

That is a nice itinerary.  Actually, if it had some of the smaller ports, it might have been an old Prinsendam one.  Is this the Volendam?  Just today at lunch, we were thinking of the MDR aboard the different HAL ships.  I always preferred the tables with a water view; the S and R ships had the best selection.  The Vista and Signature ships have the right side as you enter mostly blocked and the Pinnacle class even less.

Yes, it’s the Volendam.  

Actually some of the ports are quite small - St Peter’s Port (charming) and a few others.  We’ve been to 3 of them on the Prinsendam.  Volendam can’t do all of the ports that the Prinsendam did but this is pretty good IMO.

I agree.  The S & R ships had nice views and for sure, the Prinsendam had wonderful ones.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Oh dear,  Hope you are ok and didn’t break anything 😱 

Parking lots can be the worst for sure.

• Like 7

St. Louis cruisers  -  I have a real soft spot for the Clydesdales. I grew up in Chicago one block from the Marigold Wrestling Arena from which, at that time, wrestling was televised every Friday night.  The Clydesdales were frequent visitors - they would park with the beer wagon around the corner from the wrestling arena in front of the Vogue movie theatre. They were incredibly impressive in both size and beauty. 

The Oscar Mayer Werner Wagon also used to cruise by often - complete with “Little Oscar” waving from the open roof and the wiener horn blaring. Both were very entertaining for a child. We also enjoyed viewing the wrestlers who hung around the neighborhood - one gentleman was so tall he had to bend his neck to do business at the corner cleaners (I believe he wrestled under the name of Paul Bunyan) - another very large man walked around in denim overalls, very long hair and a long beard - not a common sight in the mid 1950’s (I believe his wrestling alias was Haystack McGee). 

Never went to see any wrestling but when the family gathered at our home every Friday night they would watch them on TV. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I am a tad tired, thanks watching this dam dog and worrying about my brother in law’s mother.

Marley is doing ok.  I am trying not to put him in the cone any more than necessary so I am watching him as much as I can rather than have him unhappy.

so, on this do nothing but watch Marley day, I’m working on the spread sheet for our next cruise in 2022.  And trying to cheer myself up a bit with planning.

Anyone want to join us?  It’s a fabulous itinerary!

A98914B6-A7DD-4B60-A22B-75ACCE434153.thumb.jpeg.31dbcc490a661c808b6ff8f9deee634c.jpeg

Glad you’re distracting yourself.,  Looks like a great itinerary.  We loved Norway and some great ports in the British isles! 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, arzz said:

St. Louis cruisers  -  I have a real soft spot for the Clydesdales. I grew up in Chicago one block from the Marigold Wrestling Arena from which, at that time, wrestling was televised every Friday night.  The Clydesdales were frequent visitors - they would park with the beer wagon around the corner from the wrestling arena in front of the Vogue movie theatre. They were incredibly impressive in both size and beauty. 

I've always loved the Clydesdales, too.  DH says at one point in time they had 4 or 5 teams of them spread out around the country so they could do appearances without traveling quite so far.  He was in control of budget for maintenance, etc. and told me that one harness could cost $40,000!  So a team of 8 horses would mean $320,000 plus perhaps a few spares.  Four or 5 teams would add up fast wouldn't it?51665c7f29d44b73a37d54bb1a7e2ac8.jpg

Also when Clydesdale colts were born they picked the ones with similar markings to the above photo to be replacements as they reached the right age.  So regal.  I know they treated them like royalty with the best of everything.  This was all when the company was family owned.  I wouldn't want to venture what the current owners do.  They are known to be penny pinchers.  And not a U.S. company.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Yes, it’s the Volendam.  

Actually some of the ports are quite small - St Peter’s Port (charming) and a few others.  We’ve been to 3 of them on the Prinsendam.  Volendam can’t do all of the ports that the Prinsendam did but this is pretty good IMO.

I agree.  The S & R ships had nice views and for sure, the Prinsendam had wonderful ones.  

Looks like a fabulous itinerary. Will bookmark it, as for now we’re not booking anything. Between the pandemic and life circumstances dictating a shorter term plan for travel.

• Like 6

Enjoyed the Clydesdale pictures.  I grew up around horses as my father raised and raced thoroughbreds.  Spent some early years on race tracks in Washington and California.  I was aware of quarter horse racing.  I have seen sulkey racing with trotters.  But I have never heard of racing a draft horse as one person mentioned.  I wonder where that was ever popular.

Ray

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Looks like a fabulous itinerary. Will bookmark it, as for now we’re not booking anything. Between the pandemic and life circumstances dictating a shorter term plan for travel.

I would like to think the pandemic will be out of the way by 2022.  If not, we are doomed.  I totally understand the life circumstances.  That cruise is in two different segments if you want to do a shorter cruise.  Me?  I won’t fly to Europe and go through the hassle of the house and dogs unless we go at least 3 weeks.  

If our cruise goes in November, it’s only 14 days but we’ll be in Galicia and Santiago de Compostela long before that.  Land tour or cruise, I’m easy 😉

• Like 9