The Daily for Saturday Jan 16, 2021

richwmn

today is Prohibition Remembrance Day, Appreciate a Dragon Day, and National Nothing Day

The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
        -- Bohr

Meal suggestion for today - Glazed Roast Chicken

Drink of the Day - Manhattan

Wine of the day - Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon by Mondavi - California - Red

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam off San Diego
Nieuw Amsterdam off San Diego
Noordam off San Diego
Westerdam off San Diego
Zuiderdam off San Diego

Freeport Bahamas
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0116World.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the last Daily of the week Rich.  There's been a lot of nothing lately.  I'd love to see a Komodo Dragon sometime.  Remembrance of Prohibition carries a lesson to be learned.  Love the quote, and Glazed Roast Chicken sounds great.  My alternative is Canaletto Salad, Spaghetti Bolognese, and Pistachio Gelato as served on MS Prinsendam January 16, 2019 (for real this time):

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/dishes16.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Our Nation

Master Marley awaiting test results (hooray for good vet report)

StLouisCruiser’s MIL, Sister, and 2 nephews

HAL (and other crews)

New California wildfires

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs scheduled for Ichiban Nwkko and DH

First jab for crusin single

Dfish losing her pandemic pounds

A nice Nieuw Statendam sailaway

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Thank heavens we don’t have Prohibition now with this dam virus.

796D6135-CDFC-4F5D-9ECC-DCFF4FE46AF9.jpeg.cf9a218d55e2d1953dd69038adc84bf9.jpeg

Loved Anne McCaffrey’s world of dragons she created in her books.  LOL it’s Nothing Day every day 😄 

Love the quote and the meal sounds great but we just had chicken last night and Spanish Rice for DH 😉  Haven’t had a Manhattan for years.  It was one of my parents “go to” drinks when they sat down to chat for 15 minutes before the hustle and bustle of dinner and taking care of 7 others.

We were all so relieved that my brother in law’s mother was given the all clear a few days ago.  Sadly, they were wrong - she has been rushed to the hospital with low oxygen and a high fever 😢 This does not bode well, I fear 😭 

The vaccine can’t come soon enough.  I hope things get moved up.  For anyone sceptical of the vaccine, remember:

1B8E38B0-CA84-423E-986F-876A6AF2A452.jpeg.e9943fa8d4e814853a515aa6d53292c4.jpeg

Speaking of raising the dead:

78D0F50E-AE3A-4EC8-A38F-9FFFAEF84002.jpeg.297ec2d535e100a5b5b8cb7f3c27061c.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  

It’s going to be a crazy Saturday here weather wise - storm coming and then a Polar Vortex.  Hope everyone has a good Saturday no matter what you weather.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Thank heavens we don’t have Prohibition now with this dam virus.

796D6135-CDFC-4F5D-9ECC-DCFF4FE46AF9.jpeg.cf9a218d55e2d1953dd69038adc84bf9.jpeg

Loved Anne McCaffrey’s world of dragons she created in her books.  LOL it’s Nothing Day every day 😄 

Love the quote and the meal sounds great but we just had chicken last night and Spanish Rice for DH 😉  Haven’t had a Manhattan for years.  It was one of my parents “go to” drinks when they sat down to chat for 15 minutes before the hustle and bustle of dinner and taking care of 7 others.

We were all so relieved that my brother in law’s mother was given the all clear a few days ago.  Sadly, they were wrong - she has been rushed to the hospital with low oxygen and a high fever 😢 This does not bode well, I fear 😭 

The vaccine can’t come soon enough.  I hope things get moved up.  For anyone sceptical of the vaccine, remember:

1B8E38B0-CA84-423E-986F-876A6AF2A452.jpeg.e9943fa8d4e814853a515aa6d53292c4.jpeg

Speaking of raising the dead:

78D0F50E-AE3A-4EC8-A38F-9FFFAEF84002.jpeg.297ec2d535e100a5b5b8cb7f3c27061c.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  

It’s going to be a crazy Saturday here weather wise - storm coming and then a Polar Vortex.  Hope everyone has a good Saturday no matter what you weather.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷

oh, that's awful.  Prayers for your BIL's Mom.

Roy

• Like 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily.

I'd love to see a Komodo Dragon.  I remember hearing stories of my grandfather running whisky over the St Clair River from Windsor to Detroit.  Like many others, we do a lot of nothing some days.

Thanks for the meal suggestion, we'll have chicken in some form tonight. 

I'd love a Manhattan, thanks.  Looking forward to reading about the wine.

@kazu Thanks for the chuckles.

@kazu Praying for your BIL's mom.

Praying for everyone on the Care List.

Cheers to all who have something to celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 16

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy.  I agree with Kazu, I'm glad prohibition is not now!!  We've done nothing for 10 months now, except for a golf cart ride around our neighborhood.  That has been our salvation to total boredom.  Have seen dragons in a zoo.  The meal sounds wonderful, will have to check out the freezer.

Prayers for our list, especially the new wildfires.  Prayers for our 4 legged family members.  Toasts to our other list, and it was great to see the sail away yesterday.  Seemed almost normal.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Manhattan:

Ingredients: 2 oz Rye or Canadian whisky, 3/4 oz Sweet red vermouth, Dash Angostura bitters, Maraschino cherry (Garnish)
Preparation: Stirred over ice, strained into a chilled glass, garnished, and served straight up.
Served: Straight up; without ice

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 7.46.39 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 19

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  If I see a dragon, I'm out of here, but will raise my glass to honour those who survived prohibition days.  National Nothing Day?  That's every day!

I have to confess, I did deviate from yesterday's meal suggestion, and even my own plan.  I found a super easy recipe for a chicken pasta bake that I decided to put together, because I had a couple of extra chicken breasts lingering in the fridge.  Oooh, it was SO good!  It made a 9x13 pan full, so I froze 2 containers for us to enjoy later, and kept 1 in the fridge for our dinner tonight.  Again, with a salad, it makes for a delicious meal.  And wine.   Speaking of wine . . .

image.jpeg.2fa615d9b034b6fbb8de757ca8995807.jpeg

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers and good thoughts to @kazuas you hunker down to deal with the Polar Vortex . . . I hate them as much as you do!  Raising our wine glasses to toast all on the happy list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 21

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I bet you had fun selecting today’s combo of days. I am glad I am not old enough to remember Prohibition. I have always loved dragons, so I am happy to celebrate them. Nothing day seems to be repeating a great deal over the past 10 months. I have that one down Pat.

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy!  Jacqui, I am so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law’s Mom. Prayers winging her & the family’s way.  

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters.  @kazu- you really should warn us to swallow our coffee, tea, juice, etc., BEFORE reading your post! You have outdone yourself today! Pass on the drink, just not a fan of sweet vermouth. Profound quote.🙃

@ger_77, your scientific fitness study is incomplete. We also need to know how many muscles are activated when opening a box of wine. That way if we need to up our fitness game we will know which option to choose! Today is a “to do” list day for me. Not quite nothing, but... And I have no clue what is for supper tonight. Maybe to celebrate @dfish’s accomplishment, I will have halibut.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating. 
Stay well everyone.

This Mondavi Cab’s price makes up for yesterday’s pricey Pinot Noir. Very good ratings & prices starting at $11.99 - depending on the vintage. Since the reviewer did not give us much to go on, I took a look at Vivino’s reviews and the opinion that stood out was that this wine is so well-balanced that it was difficult to identify anything specific. 

Winemaker Notes

Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon showcases lush texture and bold dark fruit flavors of blackberry, ripe plum, and cassis with a hint of oak and spice. Cedar and tobacco aromas accent the full, round palate, and the wine finishes with soft, integrated tannins.
WW89  Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
The 2014 Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon is ripe and smooth. The wine's ripe fruit, sweet oak, and ease on the palate make it a perfect choice for grilled steak. (Tasted: August 31, 2017, San Francisco, CA)
  • Like 20

Hello to all!  I have a fun fact regarding Prohibition.  I learned this fact because DH worked for Anheuser-Busch for about 30 years.  The beloved Budweiser Clydesdales were introduced to the public in April 1933 to celebrate the repeal of Prohibition.  Some of my favorite commercials over the years have been the Clydesdales ones at the Super Bowl.

@kazuI am so sorry to hear about your BIL's mother taking a turn for the worse.  Prayers for her recovery.  I also have to say you outdid yourself today with your "funnies".  Loved them!

My own MIL is no worse, though they are watching her for signs of bronchitis.  She does not have pneumonia though and we're grateful for that.  If she can just hang in there for the next few days I think she will beat this virus.  Thank you all for your support and prayers.  I plan to check in again today on sister and my two nephews.  

@dfishcongrats on that pandemic pounds weight loss!   Always an achievement worth the effort.

• Like 22

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I'm so sorry, Jacqui.  Prayers that she will get through this.  

Thank you to everyone for the congratulations.  It was either lose the pandemic pounds or buy a new wardrobe.   I decided to buy a new wardrobe at the other end of the spectrum.  The clothes are cuter.

@cat shepardI love halibut.  Years ago my neighbors brought me some halibut from Alaska.  They had been out on the boat and caught the fish and had it processed and frozen immediately.  I put it on the grill and it was heavenly.   I am a big fish eater, although I like meats.  I save the red meat for when I go out to eat, so I am really looking forward to getting on a ship again and hitting up the Pinnacle Grill.  

I hope everyone's day goes well.   Take care, all.

• Like 20

18 minutes ago, dfish said:

I'm so sorry, Jacqui.  Prayers that she will get through this.  

Thank you to everyone for the congratulations.  It was either lose the pandemic pounds or buy a new wardrobe.   I decided to buy a new wardrobe at the other end of the spectrum.  The clothes are cuter.

@cat shepardI love halibut.  Years ago my neighbors brought me some halibut from Alaska.  They had been out on the boat and caught the fish and had it processed and frozen immediately.  I put it on the grill and it was heavenly.   I am a big fish eater, although I like meats.  I save the red meat for when I go out to eat, so I am really looking forward to getting on a ship again and hitting up the Pinnacle Grill.  

I hope everyone's day goes well.   Take care, all.

That seals it, Debbie. Halibut it is!

Mine is Alaskan flash frozen, but sadly I had to purchase mine. None of my neighbors have been to Alaska recently.  Heck, none of my neighbors have been more than 10 miles away from their homes in the past 10 months. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Thanks Rich for the dailies and thanks Roy and the others for your contributions.  I just might celebrate the do nothing day today, there have been more then enough of those in the past year, so why not one more today.  I like seeing pictures of the Komodo dragons, not sure if I would want to be in one of them with only a forked pole for protection, I am not that brave.  What has kept me “sane” has been planning 2 cruises with friends.   I have all fingers crossed that planning becomes reality.   Of course we all know that one huge thing standing in our way is 2 shots in the arm for all of us.  Our supply of vaccines is almost dried up here and shipments are delayed now until sometime in March.  As always, my best to all, have a great do nothing day and keep an eye peeled for “Puff”!

Edited by gigianne
  • Like 14

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the last Daily of the week Rich.  There's been a lot of nothing lately.  I'd love to see a Komodo Dragon sometime.  Remembrance of Prohibition carries a lesson to be learned.  Love the quote, and Glazed Roast Chicken sounds great.  My alternative is Canaletto Salad, Spaghetti Bolognese, and Pistachio Gelato as served on MS Prinsendam January 16, 2019 (for real this time):

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/dishes16.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Our Nation

Master Marley awaiting test results (hooray for good vet report)

StLouisCruiser’s MIL, Sister, and 2 nephews

HAL (and other crews)

New California wildfires

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs scheduled for Ichiban Nwkko and DH

First jab for crusin single

Dfish losing her pandemic pounds

A nice Nieuw Statendam sailaway

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

I I am out of quarentine Roy!

• Like 17

1 minute ago, Himself said:

I I am out of quarentine Roy!

Thanks.  I meant to put that in but forgot this morning.  You will still be out of quarantine tomorrow and I plan to do better then.

Roy

• Like 5

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Oh dear Jacqui. Praying for her and your family. 

• Like 6

It is a cool "Nothing Day" here at the beach.  This is usually the time we do our membership drive for the Friends of the Library.  We take turns sitting at the library , renewing memberships and signing up new members. Not this year! So we are sending it all by mail. We divided the list and this weekend my job is to stuff and label 600 envelopes. That will keep me occupied!

Have a Safe and Happy Day!

• Like 12

Rich thanks for the fleet Report.  With the Nieuw Statendam at Freeport does that mean the ship is in dry dock?   I liked your meal suggestion, your wine suggestion and your drink. To all; who post on this thread I hope you have a great day and be safe.  It is bice to be out of Quarentine.

• Like 7