Morning After VAX 1

NavArch64

I am working at a county run vaccine center- helping with vaccinations.  Fortunately, what I have seen  has gone very smoothly- I give a lot of credit to our local EMS - primarily running the operation.  We give appointments for second shots immediately after someone gets their first.  Hopefully we will be able to continue with this process but I am sure it all depends on supply. 

• Thanks 1

We got our 1st shot (Pfizer) 3 weeks after registering. Walked in the clinic Jan.22, at our appointment time, no one in line ahead of us. Shot was painless, waited 15 minutes for observation and went home with an email to schedule our 2nd shot on Feb.12, which we confirmed. We never had any side effects, not even a sore arm. May not be as lucky with the 2nd shot but hoping it will go smoothly with little side effects. We were so happy to get the vaccination, felt like we won the lottery. The key here in Texas is to register if you are in the eligible category. We were 1b which covered 65 and older.

On 1/22/2021 at 12:17 PM, orville99 said:

Got our first Moderna on 12/30. Getting our second dose on 1/26. First one was painless with no side effects. Hopefully the second one will be as well.

Just got our second dose yesterday. Shoulder is a bit sore at the injection site, but I think that was more from the way the shot was administered than the vaccine itself. The first does was very quick - in, inject, out in two seconds, and the second one was in slow motion -iiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn,     iiiiiinnnnnnnnjjjjjjjjeeeeeecccccctttttt,      ooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuttttt (at least that's what it felt like).

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

My father who is 88 had shot #1 at the VA on Monday.  He said it was very organized and only had to wait 10 minutes before they saw him. He didn't have any reaction. They booked an appointment for the second shot in February.  On a side note my niece 11yrs old came home from school with Covid. I hope the rest of the immediate family can avoid it but I'm doubtful. 

51 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

My father who is 88 had shot #1 at the VA on Monday.  He said it was very organized and only had to wait 10 minutes before they saw him. He didn't have any reaction. They booked an appointment for the second shot in February.  On a side note my niece 11yrs old came home from school with Covid. I hope the rest of the immediate family can avoid it but I'm doubtful. 

oh, no,   Wishing your niece a mild case and quick recovery.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Just got our second dose yesterday. Shoulder is a bit sore at the injection site, but I think that was more from the way the shot was administered than the vaccine itself. The first does was very quick - in, inject, out in two seconds, and the second one was in slow motion -iiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn,     iiiiiinnnnnnnnjjjjjjjjeeeeeecccccctttttt,      ooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuttttt (at least that's what it felt like).

Got our second dose of Pfizer yesterday. Slight soreness at injection site but otherwise ok. My husband said he woke up with some chills last night but he is ok this morning. Hopefully we will both stay fine. 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2021 at 6:57 PM, Jingerwoppy said:

Wife and I were finally able to sign up for the Moderna vaccine and are scheduled to take it Feb 17th. Should be interesting. We have to drive about 45 minutes to the location in San Antonio. 

If you are going to University Health's Vaccination Center they have the process perfected. You will get your second appointment before you leave. We get our second Pfizer there on Feb 3rd.

1 hour ago, SA Traveler said:

If you are going to University Health's Vaccination Center they have the process perfected. You will get your second appointment before you leave. We get our second Pfizer there on Feb 3rd.

If you know anyone in San Antonio who would like a shot, but is having trouble getting an appointment; if you volunteer as a helper at the Alamodome site during the clinics, you get a vaccine at the end of your shift and also are scheduled then for your second. Anyone is eligible as long as they are 18 or over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2021 at 7:02 AM, sandebeach said:

Got our second dose of Pfizer yesterday. Slight soreness at injection site but otherwise ok. My husband said he woke up with some chills last night but he is ok this morning. Hopefully we will both stay fine. 

I went in yesterday to pick up a prescription, and the "gatekeeper" nurse asked if I had any symptoms as I walked in. No, I said, but (think "I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express" type response) I had my first Moderna shot last weekend.

She told me she had her first Pfizer with a little soreness at the injection site (me, too), but the second shot knocked her on her butt for 4 days.  I said I had read/seen that a strong reaction equals strong antibodies.  She said yes, and she was fine now.  

I'm not looking forward to my second shot in 3 weeks, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do........

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 11:28 PM, Coralc said:

Are you in the health care field and Southern California?  In other words, why are you eligible? 

Looking at his name maybe a pilot? AA hasn’t provided their pilots with any info. We are assuming pilots are considered essential workers, but we haven’t heard anything from AA.

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2021 at 9:04 AM, Iamcruzin said:

Hopefully your niece has a very mild case and the rest of the family can avoid getting it. Best of luck to them.

• Like 1

I just heard on the news that the Johnson and Johnson vaccine is only 72% effective.

They say it’s good for those who live in rural areas and don’t have access to vaccine centers because they will only need one dose. It will offer them protection and if they do get it, it will be a mild case 

Edited by Iamcruzin

I got my second Pfizer dose yesterday morning.  I didn't even feel the shot.  My arm was a little sore yesterday evening.

I woke up early this morning with arm pain, chills, nausea, and a low grade fever.  It's not the worst thing ever, but I'm glad I'm not scheduled to work today.

2 hours ago, LoungingMcCoy said:

I got my second Pfizer dose yesterday morning.  I didn't even feel the shot.  My arm was a little sore yesterday evening.

I woke up early this morning with arm pain, chills, nausea, and a low grade fever.  It's not the worst thing ever, but I'm glad I'm not scheduled to work today.

Seems your symptons are what everyone in my area is experiencing.  After 24 hrs you will feel fine.  The day after is toughest.  Hang in there. 

I got my first Pfizer shot yesterday - just a sore arm at the injection site.  It sounds like some people are having more reactions to the 2nd Pfizer shot than the Moderna, so I will be prepared for a possible day in bed after I get the new one.

I live in Cincinnati and I had to drive 130 miles north to get the shot - nothing was available in southern Ohio, but right across the river in Kentucky, I could have made a same day appointment on Monday if I lived there.  Crazy.

2 minutes ago, mek said:

I got my first Pfizer shot yesterday - just a sore arm at the injection site.  It sounds like some people are having more reactions to the 2nd Pfizer shot than the Moderna, so I will be prepared for a possible day in bed after I get the new one.

I live in Cincinnati and I had to drive 130 miles north to get the shot - nothing was available in southern Ohio, but right across the river in Kentucky, I could have made a same day appointment on Monday if I lived there.  Crazy.

I live in cincy;  why did you have to drive that far?  Wallgreens, CVS, Krogers are all giving the vaccine.  I looked today and Walgreens had over 20 appts at Beechmont, Maderia, Mason, Blue Ash stores

On 1/22/2021 at 10:04 AM, PelicanBill said:

If it goes, it will be adults only unless they waive the vaccine requirement for children!  At this point we it is really hard to say if we will see a majority of Americans vaccinated by then. Most reports I am seeing say fall for the last group, no longer summer.  Crossing my fingers for supply issues to be solved, then the issue becomes the % of people not willing to get vaccinated.  That could driving masking and social distancing into next year.

It will be under 55 only since the mortality rate of that group is 0.15%, that makes the most sense!

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I live in cincy;  why did you have to drive that far?  Wallgreens, CVS, Krogers are all giving the vaccine.  I looked today and Walgreens had over 20 appts at Beechmont, Maderia, Mason, Blue Ash stores

They didn't show up on Monday because I looked everywhere.  I have my name on several lists and have never been called either. They must have gotten more vaccine in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LoungingMcCoy said:

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Seems your symptons are what everyone in my area is experiencing.  After 24 hrs you will feel fine.  The day after is toughest.  Hang in there. 

Same for me on my second Pfizer that I got on Monday morning. My arm hurt less than the first shot and as the day progressed, symptoms got worse. Had the same arm pain and chills and also muscle aches when I went to bed, but no nausea. By Tuesday afternoon, I was pretty much back to normal, though my arm still hurts a little. 

On 1/29/2021 at 8:33 AM, Iamcruzin said:

I just heard on the news that the Johnson and Johnson vaccine is only 72% effective.

They say it’s good for those who live in rural areas and don’t have access to vaccine centers because they will only need one dose. It will offer them protection and if they do get it, it will be a mild case 

We must establish the clear distinction between effective and efficacy.  No one knows if it's 72% effective because effectiveness is measured under real world conditions.  The trials concluded 72% efficacy against a placebo.  Trials are controlled - real world is not.  Efficacy - trials, Effectiveness - real world.  

The J&J has shown complete protection against hospitalization/deaths after 28 days.  Very positive I would say.  Also, the 72% EFFIACY figure is pretty damn good - AstraZenica 2 dose regimen is chugging along at 62% EFFECTIVE in the UK right now (Astra trials concluded it was 90%).  It is reasonable to assume this J&J will not be 72% effective in the real world but maybe it will be?  We just don't know.  

The J&J is a game changer - it require minimum storage requirements and will be able to be distributed much easier than the Moderna/Pfizer.  Drive through vax clinics are extremely hard to execute with the Moderna/Pfizer because of storage requirements - not the case with the J&J.   It is reasonable to assume that most people 18-55 will be getting the J&J in the US.  Furthermore, they are testing a 2 dose regimen as we speak.  (spoiler alert - there will probably be "boosters" for all of these vax)

It will take years of data to conclude how effective all these vaccines are - but the goal is to prevent severe illness and death - all of them will accomplish this.  Hope they are safe!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

The J&J has shown complete protection against hospitalization/deaths after 28 days.  Very positive I would say.  Also, the 72% EFFIACY figure is pretty damn good - AstraZenica 2 dose regimen is chugging along at 62% EFFECTIVE in the UK right now (Astra trials concluded it was 90%).  

AZ latest results show 76% effectiveness after one dose and 82% after second. 

BBC News - Oxford vaccine could substantially cut spread
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55910964

• 2 weeks later...

Got my 1st shot of Moderna on Wednesday and the only side effects was a strange taste in my mouth some 3 hours later which went away after I had lunch.  Also, when i looked at my phone it seemed that the screen was not flat, but had a bit of an arc.

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

Got my 1st shot of Moderna on Wednesday and the only side effects was a strange taste in my mouth some 3 hours later which went away after I had lunch. 

Yeah, the 2nd one is usually the gotcha!!! My 2nd Pfizer gave me the chills and muscle aches that night, but by the next afternoon it was pretty much all gone.