Morning After VAX 1

NavArch64

3 hours ago, Bucket29 said:

I am helping out by giving vaccines at our local vaccine center- we are primarily vaccinating age 65 and over and giving both Moderna and Pfizer.  In talking to people when they come back for their 2nd shot most are telling me they experienced no side effects, or,  a sore arm after the first shot.  We don't see them after their second shot but understandably a lot of people are concerned about what they might expect.  In talking to people in general I'm hearing most people over 65 are just having a sore arm and some fatigue after the second shot.  40-50 year olds are having chills and muscle aches- plus a sore arm.  And under 40 are having the typical flu symptoms along with fevers- plus the sore arm.  Weirdly most people I've talked to are experiencing the side effects right around 10-12 hours after the shot but for some it's been delayed by a day and then it hits them.  Most are feeling better about 24 hours later. 

This is just a generalization and I'm sure we will hear more characterizations as more groups get vaccinated but I wanted to share what I've been hearing.

I'm 71 and I fall into the under 40 range (as you described) with the immune response I had. It took me 14 hours after my second Moderna shot to develop a low grade fever which, within a half hour spiked to 102.6. Along with the fever I experienced my usual feverish symptoms of general malaise and body aches. By that evening, my temp broke and by the following morning I was perfectly fine and good to go. I must have a robust immune system for my age. My sore arm was worse with my first shot and lasted a week but my arm soreness was gone in three days after the second shot.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bucket29 said:

I am helping out by giving vaccines at our local vaccine center- we are primarily vaccinating age 65 and over and giving both Moderna and Pfizer.  In talking to people when they come back for their 2nd shot most are telling me they experienced no side effects, or,  a sore arm after the first shot.  We don't see them after their second shot but understandably a lot of people are concerned about what they might expect.  In talking to people in general I'm hearing most people over 65 are just having a sore arm and some fatigue after the second shot.  40-50 year olds are having chills and muscle aches- plus a sore arm.  And under 40 are having the typical flu symptoms along with fevers- plus the sore arm.  Weirdly most people I've talked to are experiencing the side effects right around 10-12 hours after the shot but for some it's been delayed by a day and then it hits them.  Most are feeling better about 24 hours later. 

This is just a generalization and I'm sure we will hear more characterizations as more groups get vaccinated but I wanted to share what I've been hearing.

I heard this also.  I also heard the healthier your lifestyle is, you will feel more of a reaction.  My 58 yr old sister who is a teacher and had cancer recently had no reaction.  My niece 32, BIL 61, son 26 and myself all had the flu like reaction.  We all actually run races and lift weights so maybe there's a correlation.  In any case, I am glad to get it over with.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I'm 71 and I fall into the under 40 range (as you described) with the immune response I had. It took me 14 hours after my second Moderna shot to develop a low grade fever which, within a half hour spiked to 102.6. Along with the fever I experienced my usual feverish symptoms of general malaise and body aches. By that evening, my temp broke and by the following morning I was perfectly fine and good to go. I must have a robust immune system for my age. My sore arm was worse with my first shot and lasted a week but my arm soreness was gone in three days after the second shot.

I've been hearing that about immune systems also.  I'm 70, with a strong immune system, had the shot on Wednesday at 12:40pm and 12 hours later is when I started feeling bad - like the flu.  I slept most of the day yesterday.  My arm was never sore with either shot.

This morning I'm feeling better.  The one thing I had that I haven't heard anyone else mention was terrible heartburn.  I certainly hope that doesn't continue.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

My two SIL got both their shots through their jobs. Both had flu like symptoms after 2nd shot. Older one is 58, lives healthy lifestyle, and was all better a few days later. She had the Pfizer.  Younger SIL is 48 and does not live a healthy lifestyle. She had her 2nd shot Monday and after a day in bed she is still complaining about fatigue and a very painful arm. I am not sure which shot she had. She is a bit into histrionics so could easily be exaggerating. 

My mother and father in-law got their first shots 3 weeks after being diagnosed with COVID (one in bed for almost two weeks and the other asymptomatic). They had no reaction to it. They should get their 2nd shot in a few weeks. 

• Like 1

It’s been 16 hrs since my 2nd Moderna shot, and feeling just fine. I have a bit of tenderness at the injection site, but that’s it. I did take acetaminophen 1 hr after injection, but no more after that. Creeping up on 70 in May. 

• Like 2

I'm 48.. Essential worker with Hypertension and High Cholesterol.. I had my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Tuesday..  I woke up Wednesday morning feeling "foggy" with a runny nose and a sore arm.. by midday on Wednesday my arm was fine. I still felt foggy.

Woke up yesterday and felt normal.. just a tad bit of a runny nose.. who knows it may be the weather up here.. 

Ill get my Second in 3 weeks 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

This is all good feedback.  Thanks for everyone's response to their reactions.  Makes me feel that there is something good to look forward to once we get our second shot.

I'm sure we are all in agreement - one or two days of possibly not feeling well is 1000% better than getting Covid!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

mek;  I agree we all feel like we have been under house arrest for 12 months.  So this will be nice to go out and visit friends and family

Absolutely.  I retired last March - just as all of this started up.  Retirement has hasn't been anything like I expected - no traveling, no family get togethers.  I can't wait to get back out and start living my life a little more normally than the past year.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

My state expects to have vaccines available for the general public by early May.

Now the general public has to be convinced that it's in everyone's best interest to get the vaccine - IMO that is going to be a challenge.

6 hours ago, nalrudaini said:

I took my first dose of AstraZeneca 10 days ago.  Only felt a very very light headache for the next 24 hours, and that was it.

I'm 45 with no medical problems.  2nd dose will be in 8 to 12 weeks.

So you live where the vaccine is being spread out so more people can get the 1st dose?  How well is that being received by the public?

38 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They could easily be in healthcare.  I don't read anything into the age as being a factor.

I believe he lives in Kuwait - the reason for my question, not his age.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

I think the point was the 8-12 weeks for the 2nd dose, as opposed to the recommended 3-4 weeks depending on the vaccine type

Yes - that is why I asked.  I've been hearing that it was being considered to spread out the vaccine outside of the US and was just winding how people felt about that.

53 minutes ago, mek said:

Yes - that is why I asked.  I've been hearing that it was being considered to spread out the vaccine outside of the US and was just winding how people felt about that.

I can't answer for Kuwait, but the AZ vaccine is mainly being used in the UK and that is where the 12 week timeline for the second dose is being used. The thinking behind it was that a not insignificant amount of protection was given after the first dose and therefore as many people as possible should be given one dose in as short a time as possible. And to answer your original question it has been shown that the efficacy rate is better when giving the second dose at 12 weeks, than it is earlier. I would stress that this is for the AZ vaccine, not the Pfizer vaccine - the jury still seems to be out on that one. We have done a great job vaccinating millions of people in the UK and the falling rates seem to bear out that this decision was the best one.

Here's a link to an article explaining it https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/03/delaying-second-astrazeneca-vaccine-dose-does-work-study-shows.html

10 minutes ago, Bobal said:

I can't answer for Kuwait, but the AZ vaccine is mainly being used in the UK and that is where the 12 week timeline for the second dose is being used. The thinking behind it was that a not insignificant amount of protection was given after the first dose and therefore as many people as possible should be given one dose in as short a time as possible. And to answer your original question it has been shown that the efficacy rate is better when giving the second dose at 12 weeks, than it is earlier. I would stress that this is for the AZ vaccine, not the Pfizer vaccine - the jury still seems to be out on that one. We have done a great job vaccinating millions of people in the UK and the falling rates seem to bear out that this decision was the best one.

Here's a link to an article explaining it https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/03/delaying-second-astrazeneca-vaccine-dose-does-work-study-shows.html

Interesting article - thanks for passing it on.

5 hours ago, mek said:

So you live where the vaccine is being spread out so more people can get the 1st dose?  How well is that being received by the public?

I live in Kuwait. They started with healthcare workers and the elders (65+). They were getting Phizer. Once they started receiving the Oxford vaccine, they started doing younger people. First they went with 55+ then 40+ then 30+. They also started vaccinating 16+ with Phizer. 

The thing is, they only vaccinate those who signed up for it. So its voluntary not mandatory. Not many people are interested at getting the vaccine at this time. 

DH and I both had Moderna jabs. Neither of us had ANY reaction to either shot (absolutely nothing - not even a red spot on the arm).  91 year old father also had two Moderna shots.....again not a single reaction.  We have all had worse reactions (i.e. a sore spot on the arm) from the annual flu shot.

Everyone's body is different.  No knows how theirs will react until the vaccine is administered (hence, they make you wait 15 minutes before you leave at most vaccination sites).  Luckily, we had nothing.  We wish the same for others.

DH and I got our first shot on Thursday (Pfizer).  We both had a little bit of a sore arm.  We'll see in three weeks how the second one goes.  Fever, aches, headache will be minor inconveniences if we get them.  Hardly worth worrying about.  When I got the Shringrix vaccine I had reactions to both, but I never get a reaction to the flu shot.  You just never know, but none of those were a big deal.  for the record, I'm 60 and DH is 63.  

Edited by BND