Morning After VAX 1

NavArch64

Thank you for all of your comments. Our Sept 20 on Jewel out of Boston will be our 16th RCCL voyage, our 1st post-COVID19 cruise, so who knows how this will all work. We also have Enchantment Nov 5 out of Baltimore and Grandeur April 10 out of Bridgetown.  We are rooting for Richard Fain and his staff to figure this out so that we can safely go to sea again.

I had the first dose on Thursday, and Friday my whole body ached and I couldn't function. Went to work, but after about 2 hours left to go home. Saturday(today(, I feel much better, but my arm still hurts. I'm 78, but have no underlying problems or previous Covid.

Here in Ohio it has been a very slow process.  Only health care workers, nursing homes, and over 80 have been vaccinated.  Everyone else has to wait until they get more supplies.  My calculation says my wife and I may get first shot by mid to end of Feb. 

Edited by AF-1

29 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Here in Ohio it has been a very slow process.  Only health care workers, nursing homes, and over 80 have been vaccinated.  Everyone else has to wait until they get more supplies.  My calculation says my wife and I may get first shot by mid to end of Feb. 

you can’t predict based on daily or weekly vaccination figures from today how long it will take. The rollout was never projected to be a straight line rollout.  It has always been projected to to slow at the start with a very steep ramp up curve. 

I thought you were referring to Feb 2022 as a previous poster was.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

Ken,  I was referring to next month.  In Ohio after all health care and first responders; they go by age group.  80+ this week, 70+ next week and then 65+ first week of Feb.  I fall into 65+.  I already am registered with two different clinics.  They will send me a txt for my appt.  I have 24 hrs to get my shot; once I am notified

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Severity of, or lack of side effects has zero bearing on vaccine efficacy, or immunological response.  

VERIFY: Yes, the COVID-19 vaccine might make you feel ill. That means it's working

4 minutes ago, yogimax said:

VERIFY: Yes, the COVID-19 vaccine might make you feel ill. That means it's working

Correct, but it doesn’t say “if you aren’t feeling ill, it is not working” 

Please re-read my reply above (post 31), your cut and paste doesn’t change anything. 

Whether you experience a side effect or not; whether your side effect is strong or weak, means absolutely nothing as to the vaccine achieving it’s desired results. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

25 of us got our first dose of Pfizer Tuesday administered by CVS. No side effects in anyone other than a sore upper arm (injection site) for a day or two. Age ranges from 25-96. The needle is so thin you can barely feel the shot.

I have also heard of a covid infected person getting sick after their first vaccine dose. This person didn't know that they previously had covid. I personally know 2 people getting the vaccine next week that are just past their 90 day recovery period. The 26 yr old with no underlying conditions spent 9 days in hospital. The 51 yr old lost taste & smell for about a 1 1/2 months and did have some labored breathing but o2 level never got critical so recovered at home.

No trying to be an alarmist by any means--I'm not anti vaccine at all.

Elderly (87) church friend got first shot Monday.  He told the person he didn't really feel great but since he didn't have a fever they gave it to him anyway.  He was admitted to hospital with the virus on Thursday and is pretty sick.   They have been nowhere but have seen their grandchildren and of course this is most likely where it came from.

Just now, parrotfeathers said:

No trying to be an alarmist by any means--I'm not anti vaccine at all.

Elderly (87) church friend got first shot Monday.  He told the person he didn't really feel great but since he didn't have a fever they gave it to him anyway.  He was admitted to hospital with the virus on Thursday and is pretty sick.   They have been nowhere but have seen their grandchildren and of course this is most likely where it came from.

There is no live virus in the vaccine. It is impossible to "catch" covid from the vaccine. You only have 50% immunity 2 weeks after the first dose and 95% immunity 3 weeks after your 2nd dose. During that entire time you can catch covid. Also it can take up to 14 days for a person to develop symptoms from covid. So unfortunately your friend caught covid before being vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There have been a few stories getting attention lately of people getting sick with covid after vaccination. It's unfortunate that people attribute this to the vaccine when it's been debunked by every vaccine expert. The ingredients are listed on both Pfizer and Moderna websites.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/hot-topics/the_facts_about_pfizer_and_biontech_s_covid_19_vaccine

https://www.modernatx.com/covid19vaccine-eua/providers/about-vaccine?gclid=CjwKCAiAr6-ABhAfEiwADO4sfT8-3WBqiVedTaLXbeFbd6DbWQhNmu4IPwLI2llLO5pMg758pP5luRoCDs8QAvD_BwE

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.html

Can a COVID-19 vaccine make me sick with COVID-19?

No. None of the authorized and recommended COVID-19 vaccines or COVID-19 vaccines currently in development in the United States contain the live virus that causes COVID-19. This means that a COVID-19 vaccine cannot make you sick with COVID-19.

There are several different types of vaccines in development. All of them teach our immune systems how to recognize and fight the virus that causes COVID-19. Sometimes this process can cause symptoms, such as fever. These symptoms are normal and are a sign that the body is building protection against the virus that causes COVID-19. Learn more about how COVID-19 vaccines work.

It typically takes a few weeks for the body to build immunity (protection against the virus that causes COVID-19) after vaccination. That means it’s possible a person could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 just before or just after vaccination and still get sick. This is because the vaccine has not had enough time to provide protection.

I had the first Pfizer a week ago today.  A few minutes after the shot my arm felt like it was falling asleep.  I was told that was normal.  The following morning my upper arm hurt.  I took some ibuprofen and had no problems after that.  My co-workers who received the shot also reported upper arm pain.  I was a little run down Sunday, but nothing terrible.

I'm ready for the second dose!

7 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I thought that, too, but the supply chain is loosening up and you may be surprised.  I signed up at two places:  my healthcare provider, Kaiser, and my county health department.  The County came through first.

1 minute ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I had the Moderna 1st dose 2 weeks ago. I had minor soreness in my arm and body aches the following day. Neither were terrible but they were noticeable. Both were gone the following day.

Well, this might be how I find out if what I had last Jan-Mar 2020 was COVID19:  I get sick after my vaccine shot.

I had the first Moderna shot Wednesday.  Beginning four hours later, I was exhausted and had a very sore arm with pain in my elbow and wrist, plus badly aching legs.  I woke up in the middle of the night with a painful shoulder and ear.  By the next morning, it had all lessened by 50% and was gone by late afternoon, with the exception of the sore arm.  My SO had only a mildly sore arm.  We believe we both had light cases after we attended a concert at Busch Gardens last February, but were never tested for antibodies. This leaves me a bit concerned about the second shot.  I have started a list of quick and easy foods for the few days afterwards.  

17 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

She is 25. She was out sick for two days after the vaccination.

Same here. I'm 22, had my second dose Wed morning and couldn't get out of bed at all thursday. Awful body aches, headache, and fever. I was miserable. 36 hrs after my injection I felt much better. I work in an emergency dept and was told by management to ensure we had at least a day or two off prior to our second dose for this exact reason.

I had Covid in May and have also heard those who have had it prior have worse side effects. It makes sense..

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

I’m concerned for people who might not be able to get the second dose in the recommended time because some places are waiting on more supplies.

what happens after the 4-6 weeks?

This is my concern as well since I got the first dose a week ago and have not been able to get an appointment for the second dose yet. The POD I went to for the first dose (county run) isn't scheduled to be open after Feb. 1st. The state run pods show availability for the second dose but at this point they aren't giving them to people vaccinated through the county. So in order to get a second dose through the state I need to wait until the open more appointments for 1 doses and just bring my card. I am on a waiting list for the county but they haven't said what they are doing yet. 

It is all very frustrating but hopefully it works itself out soon.

As far as side effects, I didn't have many. I also didn't feel the shot itself. I did have a slight tingle in my arm for a few mins after, and then my arm felt a little heavy. My arm was fine the next day but I had some body aches the next day. Nothing too bad, but I was glad to be home from work (I work at an elementary school). It was really not too bad overall. 

Edited by 3monkeys4me