How Adult is the Adult Entertainment?

OarToOar

Attended a 'family friendly' comedy show (on Princess) a few years ago and thought the guy was hilarious.  So went to his late night, adults only show, and he basically re-used the same jokes, throwing in the f-bomb and other colorful language...the adult version was so bad, ended up leaving early.

That said, have seen other comedians do the two shows on the same cruise with completely different content and I usually enjoy the adult versions more.  As others have said, language changes and jokes are more offensive to specific groups.  My observation is that the smaller the venue for the late night show, the more raunchy the jokes seem to get.

The most outrageous I've seen on a cruise is a comedian that came out for his adult show dressed as a clown and spent a good chunk of his time insulting people.  I wish I could remember his stage name - even that was insulting (I tried to search for it, just got hits about a clown starting a fight on MSC...). A lot of folks walked out on that show.

Edited by DandDM
typo

5 hours ago, hallux said:

When I was on Anthem in 2018 the comic doing the "adult" comedy show (or maybe the CD doing the intro) scanned the audience and made sure that anyone appearing "under-age" was either out of the theater or there with an adult that agreed to them being there.

We were on the Anthem at the adult comedy show in 2018 and 2019.

There were many children around 12 years old in the audience.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

It would work for the audience

That's what's fun about live comedy. Heckling

I strive to NEVER be the attention getter, especially on a cruise.  Just let me sit back on my balcony and have a smoke, wear my bathing suit to MDR, save a few deck chairs for later in the day, and every so often enjoy a little skinny dip in the jacuzzi.  

And talk about heckling, seems there is too much of that as I always hear someone mouthing off even as I return to the ship late from a tour, or test sample a few things in the buffet line with my fingers.  And what is all the fuss about tipping, I opt out of that, along with that darn lifeboat drill.  I paid so if the drink package allows me to drink to an excess and hurl in the hallway next to my dirty dishes, that’s my right.  

Since I like to keep that rather low profile, I will stay away from the comic.

Eddie.

Edited by Eddie Wilson
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I can't remember what ship or cabin on that ship, but it a had a pole in the middle of the room for adult entetainment. Non-obstructed view of course. 

Several pole rooms on Enchantment, also in aft corners of Voyager ships

Pole diameter is way to big for serious use 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow thanks for all the replies, I wasn’t expecting this response. 

Just to clarify something, I’m not looking to see if i can/should bring under 18s into these shows (I don’t even have any children), I was wondering more from the angle of if they are something ‘worth’ going to. 

Things like the on board gameshows don’t interest me if it’s very sanitised but if it’s actual adult humour then it would be more enjoyable to attend at 11pm after a few drinks

3 hours ago, OarToOar said:

Things like the on board gameshows don’t interest me if it’s very sanitised but if it’s actual adult humour then it would be more enjoyable to attend at 11pm after a few drinks

Any RC ships that have a comedy, it is always adult based so the late show will practically be the same as the early show.  Their family based show is in the main theatre later in the week.

For ships that only have comedy in the main theatre, head to the late show as it will not be sanitized.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DandDM said:

Attended a 'family friendly' comedy show (on Princess) a few years ago and thought the guy was hilarious.  So went to his late night, adults only show, and he basically re-used the same jokes, throwing in the f-bomb and other colorful language...the adult version was so bad, ended up leaving early.

We had the same experience on RCI, once. We went to the adult show first, which was bad. The kid's version was a lot more funnier, even though he used the same jokes.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OarToOar said:

Just to clarify something, I’m not looking to see if i can/should bring under 18s into these shows (I don’t even have any children), I was wondering more from the angle of if they are something ‘worth’ going to. 

As a fellow Brit I think you will find it all very tame on a regular cruise. Admittedly I've never been to the Comedy venue on Oasis class ships but I've never been to anything elsewhere that even a younger British teen or their parents would find uncomfortable. As you noted Europeans generally tend to have a different attitude to this sort of thing than Americans, I'm always amazed by the comments on the nude beaches in St Martin 😀.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, OarToOar said:

We generally love the “adult” versions of the comedy shows 🙂. F bombs and dirty jokes apparently amuse us 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

We generally love the “adult” versions of the comedy shows 🙂. F bombs and dirty jokes apparently amuse us 🙂

I enjoy adult comedy also and there are very few things that really offend me; however, the material has to be funny and I have always felt if it’s not clever without f bombs then it probably isn’t just because someone throws them in.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

I have heard the middle school kids talking and they could probably teach a comedian some new words.  I have never heard such language used,  just another reason to home school the granddaughter.

Only the good die young - Sir Willam Joel

• Like 2

On 1/25/2021 at 9:28 AM, OarToOar said:

Hi, this may seen like a strange question but:

A) I have stayed in resorts and read reports of other cruise lines where the only difference between the family entertainment and the ‘adults only’ version is that there’s only adults in the audience. Otherwise the performer does the exact same set. 

B) Coming from the UK, we have different attitudes than the US in regards to what isn’t acceptable for children/teens. 

I want to know how mature the adults entertainment gets in regards to language, sexual references and even nudity. If anyone is willing to share information about the different ‘adult only’ shows like the gameshows, the live comedy & even things like Sexiest Man contest, i would be very grateful. 

Thanks in advance

On 1/25/2021 at 7:45 PM, John&LaLa said:

On 1/25/2021 at 7:45 PM, John&LaLa said:

We only found adult comedy raunchy.  Of course if you are adult- it shouldn't shock you.  You are told that strong language might be used and anybody offended shouldn't stay.  I will never forget at an adult comedy show, we were sitting in the front row and the comedian was really funny- during his show, a lady got up shouted at all of us that how could we watch this- everyone laughed as we though she was part of the act and she stormed out!  We found out she was serious and offended!  She was warned and could have left if she believed it would offend her.  It was actually very funny.

• Thanks 1

Never seen a really "adult" adult show.  A few obvious innuendos and maybe even a little more descriptions, but never nudity and never any over the top jokes.

I was on a cruise where a couple of kids snuck in to the front row and the performer pointed them out and poked fun at them, but no one made them leave!  I think he toned things down a bit because of that.  Through the cruise, I would see those kids together, but never with any adults.  I was kind of frustrated because on departure day those kids were hiding behind some curtains in the lounge.  It got me wondering if they were not stow away's.  Just as I was about to find a crew member to point them out, the kids found their parents for a few minutes, but the parents let them run off again.  For all I know they may still be on that ship!

On 1/25/2021 at 10:00 PM, John&LaLa said:

Several pole rooms on Enchantment, also in aft corners of Voyager ships

Pole diameter is way to big for serious use 

Vision class JS.  We've been on Grandeur 7 times and Vision once.  We've had poles in several of our JS.  They're not stripper poles lol.  They're structural, but whatever floats someone's boat (haha)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BND said:

Vision class JS.  We've been on Grandeur 7 times and Vision once.  We've had poles in several of our JS.  They're not stripper poles lol.  They're structural, but whatever floats someone's boat (haha)

Ours on Enchantment was a JS as well.

Under the solarium as I recall