Lost friends.

jonthomas

We met a wonderful couple on a Caribbean cruise several years ago. 

Arthur and Lainie.

We spent a great day with them in Virgin Gorda, had many dinners and corresponded for a while.

Then life happened and we lost track of each other. If anyone knows them, please reach out to me. 

Can you also suggest where else I can post this?

What a heartwarming plea.  So nice to know some people care so much about others.  You say you corresponded.  Does your communication link (email/address) not work any more?  Would they be on FB?  I hope you find them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonthomas said:

... Can you also suggest where else I can post this?

@jonthomas Howdy!  emo22.gif

If they were Cruise Critic members, search for your cruise's Roll Call thread & post there. Possibly they or someone that may have sailed with them will see it.

Just remember that even though Roll Call threads stay active for quite a while, eventually they are archived and closed to further replies. Also the rreeaall old ones are no longer viewable.

I sincerely hope this will be helpfulemo34.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Just now, Host Kat said:

@jonthomas Howdy!  emo22.gif

If they were Cruise Critic members, search for your cruise's Roll Call thread & post there. Possibly they or someone that may have sailed with them will see it.

Just remember that even though Roll Call threads stay active for quite a while, eventually they are archived and closed to further replies. Also the rreeaall old ones are no longer viewable.

I sincerely hope this will be helpfulemo34.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Great idea!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Arthur and Lainie.

We spent a great day with them in Virgin Gorda, had many dinners and corresponded for a while.

Then life happened and we lost track of each other. If anyone knows them, please reach out to me. 

A longs shots

Linkedin.... Maybe looked for a new job.

Contact Celebrity, give your booking ref, explain the situation, ask if Celebrity would contact them and relay your email, with you giving permission to pass same.  As data protection would not allow the line to pass private information to you.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Arthur and Lainie.

If you know the district in which they lived why not try local radio and TV?

Local stations are always looking for ‘feel good’ stories, especially during this difficult time...Their researchers will be skilled at following trails.

Sincere best wishes for a successful outcome.

Dont remember where they lived. Have no last name. 

Has anyone else met some wonderful people that they lost contact with?

Hope that there will be some kind of resolution over covid in not too  distant a future,  to bring travel  back. Cant imagine living a full life without travel, while we are well and able. Certainly glad we did so much of it BC ( before covid).

19 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Dont remember where they lived. Have no last name. 

Has anyone else met some wonderful people that they lost contact with?

Hope that there will be some kind of resolution over covid in not too  distant a future,  to bring travel  back. Cant imagine living a full life without travel, while we are well and able. Certainly glad we did so much of it BC ( before covid).

So you have no last name or district...How about other bits of information you gained from conversation.  Possible group memberships (church, profession, hobby, interest)? Again if you contact an appropriate agency they will probably be willing to pass your contact details on but probably will (quite rightly) not be able to give you details direct.

Other than that focus on making new friends next cruise (it will come)....

3 hours ago, jonthomas said:

thank you...I have tried it all...now really have lost hope...

Awww. That happened to us as well. We met some lovely couples on various cruises, kept up for a while, and then life interrupted and we all lost track. Try not to be too hurt or take it personally - often, something happens on their end which is not your fault at all (death, illness, divorce, a move, etc.).  Sometimes this just happens.

Enjoy your memories and wish them well in your heart. I do believe you have tried everything to find them but without a last name, this seems next to impossible.

• Like 7

jonthomas - I am sure you are honest and legit.  I am not saying otherwise.  But in general for a request like this on a public forum, how would any of us know if your intentions of finding them are genuine and above board? It seems to me that this thread involves some potential privacy issues. What if they do not want to be found?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2021 at 9:14 AM, RickT said:

Can you update the thread title to list their names?  If they are on the forum  they are more likely to click on this thread if they see their names.

I do not think that is an appropriate suggestion.  

Yes, of course your comments are valid. If I remembered their last name, I would not publish it. 

As it is, it is a lost cause. I dont think they were on cruise critic. But thought there might have been a chance that maybe others had sailed with them and may have been able to connect me to them. But of course a long shot, a very long shot. 

• Like 1

Did your prior correspondence occur over email?  Even if you've lost the contact, try to start a new email with any fraction of what you think their email address might have been or even their names.  My MacBook's email program seems to remember everyone I've ever emailed and attempts to autofill. 

I can start a new email with just one letter and a whole list of nearly everybody I've ever emailed with that letter pops up, and narrows down with subsequent letters added to it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I do not think that is an appropriate suggestion.  

Thank you for your opinion but I fail to see how a thread titled “Lost Friends - Arthur and Lainie” would be “inappropriate”.  If Arthur and Lainie are on this forum they could then choose to reply or not reply.

• Like 2

I've seen some weird threads on these boards over the years, but this one has to be in the top three.  Several years later we are supposed to possibly be in contact with these two people, who are apparently not even Cruise Critic members, at a time when none of us has cruised for close to a year?   The OP says they "corresponded for awhile".  Only a few ways to do that (in decreasing order of likeliness) - email, social media, phone, snail mail.  So did the email change?  The social media contact deleted?  The phone number changed?  The address changed? 

If this were a new poster, I would suspect something fishy going on.  Considering this is a longer time member the request seems sincere, but perhaps these folks do not want to be contacted by you.  

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 2

Yes have tried all the letters of the alphabet.

Seems  my efforts have earned me a place in  the top three for weirdness.

Amazing how differently, various people have seen this. It went from someone who wrote that it was a nice thing to do to find "lost acquaintances" to being one the weirdest things seen here. 

Just an observation...

No matter what one shares, some will see it as  truth, some will see it as fake and all the variances  in between. Maybe it says more about the interpreter than the messenger. 

Often, I can attach that to myself as well. 

This happened to us on a Cunard cruise --lost touch with the couple after about 2 years but had their surname..

I rang Cunard Customer service and spoke to a lady giving her details of the cruise we were on when we met , staterooms we were in and the county in England. I gave our phone number and 3 hours later we had a call from the couple. Yes we are still in touch!!

• Like 5