After Canada cancelling cruises until Feb 2022....not a lot of hope for US Cruises this year.

Coochuck

I have 3 cruises booked for this year.  Family Cruise in July, another cruise in September, and a TA on the Odyssey for October.  I now feel they are all in doubt.

The CDC has given no guidance to the cruise lines, Canada has cancelled all cruises for this year, so I don't hold out a lot of hope for cruises this year.   Yesterday I sold my Carnival and Royal Stock and took a profit from the sale. We are getting our 2nd COVID Vaccines on Feb 20, so I will look into some vacations land based in the US, or travel to another country for a land based vacation, as opposed to counting on cruising again this year.   Will see how it goes, hope the US Government surprises me, and begins to move forward with the Cruise Lines in mapping a return to some form or the 'New Normal'.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Canada cancelling cruises through February was mostly symbolic...its really only a cancellation through October.  I do see cruises from the US starting before that.

July?  Starting to lose hope for that one

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes,  I do see another May/June cancellation and do see them starting up in July.  Maybe a few test cruises in June

You're more optimistic than I am.  I'm thinking September for revenue cruises

• Like 2

I was just talking to the DH about this last night.  Royal and Celebrity have cancelled our cruises in 2021 due to ships and scheduling changes. Personally I’m glad as I don’t think any of them would happen anyway.  After it took so long to get refunds last year I’m not willing to put any more money on the table until it resumes. 

Our next is April 2022.  I’m not so sure about that one either.  If cruising has resumed I want to wait and hear how it’s going before I’d make final on that one. I can stand to lose the deposit.

I so wish this was all over! Nothing beats cruising. We’ll be back just not sure when.  Until then we’ll do some trips right here in the ole USA.

And I do hope I’m wrong!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Why will things be better for cruising in 2022?  The virus will still be here, the virus will continue to mutate and the vaccines won’t be 100% effective.  Doesn’t seem much different than 2021

For a glimmer of hope, vaccines can be adapted as well. For a shot of reality none of the vaccines today are 100%.  However, they certainly are better than the proposed success rate of 50% to which they were hoping for in the beginning.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, soloadventurer said:

Ok give up then lol 

That could be one approach.  But the reality is that we will be dealing with Covid for the foreseeable future and we really won't have many more tools than we have in 2021.  Even if we vaccinate all passengers and crew on the ship and test everyone before they board, there will still likely be infections of Covid onboard.   Even vaccinated people may be carrying infections from new variants with little or no symptoms.  This won't change between 2021 and 2022.  Perhaps those cases will be minor can be treated onboard.  But what about all of the countries that are visited during a cruise.  A visit by a cruise ship may turn into a super spreader event in countries without a robust health care system.  Perhaps many other countries will follow Canada's lead and ban cruise ships for the indefinite future.  In any case it's difficult for me to see cruising to resume anytime soon.

59 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

That could be one approach.  But the reality is that we will be dealing with Covid for the foreseeable future and we really won't have many more tools than we have in 2021.  Even if we vaccinate all passengers and crew on the ship and test everyone before they board, there will still likely be infections of Covid onboard.   Even vaccinated people may be carrying infections from new variants with little or no symptoms.  This won't change between 2021 and 2022.  Perhaps those cases will be minor can be treated onboard.  But what about all of the countries that are visited during a cruise.  A visit by a cruise ship may turn into a super spreader event in countries without a robust health care system.  Perhaps many other countries will follow Canada's lead and ban cruise ships for the indefinite future.  In any case it's difficult for me to see cruising to resume anytime soon.

Yeah just like the normal flu 

So the sooner Governments realise the harm theyre doing the better

• Like 2

On 2/6/2021 at 12:15 PM, Coochuck said:

The CDC has given no guidance to the cruise lines

Simply not true. The CDC has presented a lengthy guidance document. The fact that its contents are unpalatable to many doesn't alter that fact.

8 minutes ago, broberts said:

Simply not true. The CDC has presented a lengthy guidance document. The fact that its contents are unpalatable to many doesn't alter that fact.

They have failed to release a complete set of documents to the cruise line.

This morning Cruise Week asked CDC spokesperson Jason McDonald to reply to the question, "Given that cruise lines are making headway in crew safety, what still needs to happen before simulated voyages can begin?"
McDonald replied: "On October 30, 2020, CDC issued a Framework for Conditional Sailing Order that remains in effect until November 1, 2021.
Returning to passenger cruising is a phased approach, and our current focus is on the protection of crew and working with cruise lines to implement the initial phase requirements of testing all crew and developing onboard laboratory capacity.
Future orders and technical instructions will address additional activities, to include simulated voyages, conditional sailing, and restricted voyages to help cruise lines prepare for and return to passenger operations in a manner that mitigates COVID-19 risk among passengers and crew members.

We anticipate the next phase of technical instructions (Technical Instructions for Port and Local Health Authorities Agreements) to be released in the next few weeks."

CDC is more a reactive body than a preventive body. It only acts after something has happened....then they will address it by putting out some sort of edict / rule. It is typical run government operation. The fire truck arrives after the building has burned down.

2 hours ago, baldilocks said:

CDC is more a reactive body than a preventive body. It only acts after something has happened....then they will address it by putting out some sort of edict / rule. It is typical run government operation. The fire truck arrives after the building has burned down.

Have you bothered to peruse all the resources at the CDC web site? Are you familiar with it's mission statement?

• Thanks 1