Cruise with/without a mask

antsp

On 2/7/2021 at 10:53 PM, cattolica said:

I am actually amazed that people are worried about cruising.    I was raised that vacations were a gift.    I am in my early 60’s.   My parents were raised during the depression.  There weren’t many vacations.

The absolute furthest thing from my mind is when will I be able to take a vacation.  
It is time to sit back and ponder your life.   You may actually realize that a vacation is at the very bottom of that list.   I am very thankful that my husband and I have taken some unbelievable trips.    We are now sitting back and enjoying all those memories. 
Thanks for listening to my thoughts.  

You do realize this is a cruising website, right?

• Like 2

On 2/8/2021 at 3:22 AM, TechPotato said:

I just realized that I was off of the OP's question. But my answer is not yes or no. It is:

Yes I will sail if masks are required. I will NOT sail if masks are NOT required (while there is still a pandemic).

I just don't get the people who believe they have the "right" to put others (and themselves) at unnecessary risk because they don't want to limit themselves.

You do not have the "right" to drive 100 km/h (60 MPH) on a residential street because you think that usually nobody will get hurt either. It's the same thing.

Well said.  The degree of selfishness is unfathomable. 

• Like 3

On 2/7/2021 at 8:07 AM, Castaway Cowgirl said:

Yes but I don’t like it and I agree with those who say masks are pointless 

You previously told us that more than half your friends have contracted coronavirus.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2771344-dear-princess-just-take-us-to-mexico/?do=findComment&comment=60760338

That is significantly higher than the general population.

Your friends either have extreemly bad luck, or their actions are contributing to

their infection rate.

Which ... is left as an exercise to the gentle reader.

Edited by Roberto256
their != there
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, charlie murphy said:

There is NO rules or mandates  for wearing a mask on a boat that disembarks from a port in FL. I just saw the buc's boat parade not a mask in sight. This discussion is pointless. You don't want to mask up disembark from FL. Not sure of other locations and mask requirements. 

The captain of the ship can enforce company rules which may be totally different from state mandates 

1 hour ago, charlie murphy said:

There is NO rules or mandates  for wearing a mask on a boat that disembarks from a port in FL. I just saw the buc's boat parade not a mask in sight. This discussion is pointless. You don't want to mask up disembark from FL. Not sure of other locations and mask requirements. 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.....not so sure about that:

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now requires that people wear masks while in all transportation hubs and on public modes of transportation, including airplanes, ships, ferries, trains, subways, buses, taxis, rideshares, airports, seaports, and train, bus, and subway stations.  

The new mask order was issued by the agency on January 29 and goes into effect on February 2; it remains in effect until further notice. It makes official a mask mandate that was signed by President Joe Biden on January 21, marking the first time the federal government has established an official directive on mask wearing during the coronavirus pandemic.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, charlie murphy said:

I really can't parse your post.

Cruise lines can make what ever rules they wish about requiring masks aboard their ships.

State, County and Local governments can't make whatever rules they wish about requiring masks in cruise terminals.

Buses, cabs, uber, etc. can make whatever rules they wish about requiring masks in their vehicals.

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Since you wear a mask all day, I have a question.  How do people who wear glasses keep them from fogging up?  I know that one could wear contacts but they are not an option for me.  Thanks.

DON

I wear "no fog" surgical masks in the operating room. They have a plastic film on the top edge of the mask. It's not fool proof, but it greatly reduces fogging.

When I wear a cloth mask to exercise (I ice skate), I use a strip of medical tape across the top. Make sure it goes all the way across the bridge of the nose and at least halfway across your cheeks and that the tape seals the mask to the cheek/nose. It's an old OR tactic.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Frankly do not understand the "I can't breath(e) with a mask on."  Millions of people wear them 8-10-12 hours a day with no problem.

I just got off the treadmill, 40 minutes cardio, wearing a triple layer mask (our gym requires it) and had no problem.  Been wearing one while hiking in the mountains for almost a year.  I can breathe.

BTW, I suffer from both COPD and emphysema. 

I feel the same way. I just don't get it.

I have pulmonary sarcoidosis--nodules in my lungs. It makes it difficult to breath. My lungs will tell me if the temperature or humidity goes up before I am aware of it. Walking up stairs is nearly impossible without becoming short of breath. Yet, I can wear a mask at work up to 16 hours. I can wear them in the heat (with difficulty), working out, and doing my running around. I'm so used to wearing them that I sometimes forget I have one one.

If someone can't wear one while sitting around, they *definitely* need to see a pulmonologist. STAT. It's a sh!t excuse to not wear one. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

I feel the same way. I just don't get it.

I have pulmonary sarcoidosis--nodules in my lungs. It makes it difficult to breath. My lungs will tell me if the temperature or humidity goes up before I am aware of it. Walking up stairs is nearly impossible without becoming short of breath. Yet, I can wear a mask at work up to 16 hours. I can wear them in the heat (with difficulty), working out, and doing my running around. I'm so used to wearing them that I sometimes forget I have one one.

If someone can't wear one while sitting around, they *definitely* need to see a pulmonologist. STAT. It's a sh!t excuse to not wear one. 

Unfortunately, and please note that I am NOT saying this is everyone, but some people use the "I can't wear a mask" excuse because they don't want to wear them. Case in point, I have a friend who  says her and 2 of her kids  (ages 8 and 6)can't wear them because they all have issues. Her daughter has the same heart issue I have and I can wear them. My friend is an anti-vaxxer and anti-mask as she has ridiculed people for wearing them, so I really don't trust her when she says that none of them can wear them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjmalino said:

Unfortunately, and please note that I am NOT saying this is everyone, but some people use the "I can't wear a mask" excuse because they don't want to wear them. Case in point, I have a friend who  says her and 2 of her kids  (ages 8 and 6)can't wear them because they all have issues. Her daughter has the same heart issue I have and I can wear them. My friend is an anti-vaxxer and anti-mask as she has ridiculed people for wearing them, so I really don't trust her when she says that none of them can wear them.

So true. I know a woman that claims masks make her claustrophobic, so she refuses to wear them. She's a coach, and gets upset with students' parents telling her to wear one (she calls it "screaming" but I can neither verify nor deny this) and is refusing to go to certain stores because they require a mask. Currently, she's farmed her pre-school daughter out to family because she and her husband have covid. His is severe enough that he's in an ICU. 

But she da**ed well won't wear a mask.

My brother and his family don't wear masks either. He, his wife, and 15-year old son all have covid. His obese wife is on home O2 because she can't keep her O2 saturation levels in the normal range. If he keeps refusing, I da**ed well won't see them when I go visit my folks this summer.

It so sad that masking became a political issue rather than the public health issue that it truly is.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

It so sad that masking became a political issue rather than the public health issue that it truly is.

That is such a shame. How did this come about? Once upon a time getting the polio vaccine was not a political issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

That is such a shame. How did this come about? Once upon a time getting the polio vaccine was not a political issue. 

I can tell you exactly how it got political....it was done in plain sight.

But that would be a political post so I will demur. 

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

I can tell you exactly how it got political....it was done in plain sight.

But that would be a political post so I will demur. 

Yes, I guess I know also. My question was wistful, wishing for the days before this happened. Of course we all at least wish for the days before Covid became a plague.

• Like 1

As much as we love cruising there is absolutely no way we would board a ship whilst mask wearing is mandatory.  Also we are not interested in only being able to go on shore on a cruise line organised tour.  Not being able to serve your own food in a buffet does not overly bother us but it would if by the time we get to sit down the food is cold and there is no where to reheat it.   Therefore, it seems as though our favourite form of holiday is off limits until things return to normal.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MissP22 said:

You're very fortunate that you can breath with a mask on.

I can't breath very well with a mask on even just sitting around without any physical activity. 

I think they'll have a hard time convincing people to cruise having to wear a mask in most venues. 

Then those people will have a hard time being allowed to stay on board whilst masks are mandatory...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jwattle said:

Then those people will have a hard time being allowed to stay on board whilst masks are mandatory...

True. 

They'll probably opt for another type of vacation where they're not a stringent about masking anyway. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, charlie murphy said:

I did not see any cruise ships in that parade.  There may not be a mask mandate for private boats, but there certainly is for cruise ships over 100 passengers, if and when they actually sail again.

On 2/10/2021 at 10:50 AM, ECCruise said:

Frankly do not understand the "I can't breath(e) with a mask on."  Millions of people wear them 8-10-12 hours a day with no problem.

I just got off the treadmill, 40 minutes cardio, wearing a triple layer mask (our gym requires it) and had no problem.  Been wearing one while hiking in the mountains for almost a year.  I can breathe.

BTW, I suffer from both COPD and emphysema. 

The old "Works for me so it must work for everyone else" statement that always is proven wrong.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, memoak said:

The captain of the ship can enforce company rules which may be totally different from state mandates 

Only as it pertains to ship operation and safety aboard his vessel.  Once passengers and crew leave the ship he has little or no authority to violate state mandates.