Cruise with/without a mask

antsp

GWe will have our second Moderna shot by the end of  this  week. We wear masks ( doubled up) when we are  out of our house. We have friends who ate inside restaurants and got covid. They were really sick for months. We will gladly wear masks on board and we always took the ship’s excursions. In the Caribbean we don’t get off anymore anyway. Please let us follow the rules and start cruising again. I’d be happy to just sit on my balcony look out to sea and have room service. I’m going bananas at home. I can’t think of anything else to cook.  I just want to see the sea witch logo one more time. Sigh.

Edited by Treasure Hunter

3 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

GWe will have our second Moderna shot by the end of  this  week. We wear masks ( doubled up) when we are  out of our house. We have friends who ate inside restaurants and got covid. They were really sick for months. We will gladly wear masks on board and we always took the ship’s excursions. In the Caribbean we don’t get off anymore anyway. Please let us follow the rules and start cruising again. I’d be happy to just sit on my balcony look out to sea and have room service. I’m going bananas at home. I can’t think of anything else to cook.  I just want to see the sea witch logo one more time. Sigh.

Don't go bananas anymore...try an all-inclusive resort in Mexico....we've enjoyed 4 different resorts there since September with no problem whatsoever.   No pre-arrival covid test required and several resorts offer FREE on-site testing as required for us to return to the US

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Don't go bananas anymore...try an all-inclusive resort in Mexico....we've enjoyed 4 different resorts there since September with no problem whatsoever.   No pre-arrival covid test required and several resorts offer FREE on-site testing as required for us to return to the US

Excellent advice. We've recently been to two AIs in Mexico and have one scheduled for Punta Cana this week. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Excellent advice. We've recently been to two AIs in Mexico and have one scheduled for Punta Cana this week. 

Watch out for the airport "security" on the return.  They are anal and not in a good way.  Shoes off.  Everything out of your carry-ons.  Legal corkscrew confiscated from my DH's carry-on though theh missed the one I had in my bag.  Check-in counter chaos too.  Much prefer Cancun airport departure.  Where are you staying in PC?  Last month we stayed there at Dreams Macao Beach.  Then Secrets the Vine in Cancun.  Next month- Dreams Riviera Cancun.  All of these offer complimentary on-site covid testing required for your US return....and 14 days' complimentary stay if you test positive...

Airplanes are going to be even more strict, not to say about airports. All those regulations are strictly followed there as there are cameras and security like everywhere. Nowhere to hide really , so its better to follow the local airport regulations just to be on the safe side 

14 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Watch out for the airport "security" on the return.  They are anal and not in a good way.  Shoes off.  Everything out of your carry-ons.  Legal corkscrew confiscated from my DH's carry-on though theh missed the one I had in my bag.  Check-in counter chaos too.  Much prefer Cancun airport departure.  Where are you staying in PC?  Last month we stayed there at Dreams Macao Beach.  Then Secrets the Vine in Cancun.  Next month- Dreams Riviera Cancun.  All of these offer complimentary on-site covid testing required for your US return....and 14 days' complimentary stay if you test positive...

We are looking at the Dream Riviera Cancun for June if my husband is allowed to travel. We have never been to an AI so I’m excited. 

16 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Good advice, thanks. We seldom check bags but are planning to do so on this trip. 

Sanctuary Cap Cana. 

Complimentary pre-departure testing here too. 

They offer for $29/pp per stay accomodations up to 14 days if one tests positive. Not exactly free but an acceptable expense. 

The DR also provides "free" travel insurance which covers among other things, $75/day against the cost of hotel expenses if quarantined. 

Then there's our travel insurance policy. 

Wife and I have both had both our vaccinations and are beyond 14 days post vaccination. 

Feeling pretty good about "land cruises" but still miss sailing. 

Despite the wailings and gnashing of teeth from the doom and gloomers amongst us, we remain very confident about sailing resuming late spring/summer. 

Edited by Bgwest

1 minute ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Thanks for suggestions but not Interested in Mexico. Maybe a driving trip to Maine  or Lake George when summer comes. We are really risk adverse.

I totally hear you my friend. Me as well. I wouldnt want to drive to a place where there wont be a place to put me in case I get sick or something.. especially these days

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sweetnspicy said:

We are looking at the Dream Riviera Cancun for June if my husband is allowed to travel. We have never been to an AI so I’m excited. 

Go for the Governor's suite...that's what we did after checking it out on YouTube 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

We took our cruise $ from a recently canceled cruise and became "Winter Texans" (thanks to the person on these boards who recommended it!).  Hotels are very inexpensive for longer stays.  Enjoyed the sunshine, fresh air, and waves.

It will suck if the rest of our cruises get canceled, or we have to cancel them because we're not taking an unproven vax (do a search on side effects, including death, that are related to the vax).  But we'll get over it.  It's amazing how much of the USA we haven't seen.  I doubt our stock will recover, especially if vax becomes mandatory, but that's investing...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

We took our cruise $ from a recently canceled cruise and became "Winter Texans" (thanks to the person on these boards who recommended it!).  Hotels are very inexpensive for longer stays.  Enjoyed the sunshine, fresh air, and waves.

It will suck if the rest of our cruises get canceled, or we have to cancel them because we're not taking an unproven vax (do a search on side effects, including death, that are related to the vax).  But we'll get over it.  It's amazing how much of the USA we haven't seen.  I doubt our stock will recover, especially if vax becomes mandatory, but that's investing...

If you won’t vaccinate then the odds are you will never cruise again or leave the country 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, memoak said:

If you won’t vaccinate then the odds are you will never cruise again or leave the country 

May be true for cruising.  It will, I fear, spell the death of the industry in that case.  Good thing I only put $ I won't miss into stocks!  My retirement fund shrinks daily ;-).  We're all just speculating, though.  We'll have to wait and see.  I note that comments seem to be different based on the infection rate and/or violence occurring or not occurring in one's surroundings.  For me, cruising is not worth giving up my medical rights for a largely untested vaccine with multiple side effects for a virus that has an extremely low death rate.  Others may make different choices, and I respect their right to make those choices as they should respect my right to make an alternate choice.

As far as leaving the country, fortunately we're not to Communism at this point.  The requirement would, in effect, create two classes of citizens.

https://fee.org/articles/i-grew-up-in-a-communist-system-here-s-what-americans-don-t-understand-about-freedom/

As for the Mark of the Beast speculation, Cruz.  It's my understanding that such a mark would be in full knowledge of the taker, right?  Not convinced that we're there, but open-minded enough to listen to other people's opinions without making personal jabs at them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Incognito1 said:

Search for Jan 2020.  "There's no reason why anybody should be walking around wearing masks."

Try to be consistent even though he has not.

So over a year ago when nobody had any idea what was going on?  Great argument.  There was a time when the experts also thought the Earth was flat.  When was the 

Last time that any expert said that  masks were useless, or non essential?   

• Like 1

What do you consider an expert?  There are literally thousands of doctors saying so.  A good search engine is a great asset.  Thousands of doctors on the front lines who deal with this daily do not believe masks as worn don't help.  Distancing obviously does.

Comparing this to the flat earth movement is a false equivalency..

Yes, good argument.  In 1/20 he's coming at it from a medical perspective; later from a political one.  However, my response was to someone who was denigrating anyone who did not put their faith in a piece of underwear on their face.

People ought to do their own research.  We won't all come to a consensus, just as doctors and other "experts" do not share a consensus.  It falls to our own personal responsibility.

Thank you for replying.

20 hours ago, MissP22 said:

If you've got your vaccination don't worry about catching it.

Let the others choose to wear their masks. 

You are missing the main reason for wearing masks. It is not to prevent the wearer from catching the virus (although it does help some), it is to help prevent those who have the virus and do not know it from infecting others.

Hope fully those who have been vaccinated will not be able to have the virus and thus pass it on to thers, but science has not yet told us if this is true or not.

Just because a person is not wearing a mask does not mean the person has been vaccinated.

Until just about everyone is vaccinated that is willing to be, everyone should wear masks. Otherwise, hardly anyone would wear a mask saying look at all the people who are not doing so, why should I?

• Like 2

On 2/13/2021 at 3:01 PM, Kwaj girl said:

If masks work so well....why do case numbers keep going up?  🙄 NO, I will not wear a useless mask.  😡

I agree.  No one should wear a useless mask.

Everyone should have a medical-grade NIOSH-rated n-95 mask for their own protection!

When this first started, a buddy sent a selfie ... he was wearing a bandana.

I don't think it offered any protection, but if a stagecoach came by, he could

certainly rob it without being recognized...

At least a year ago, the government should have used the defense production act to

force the manufacture of all PPE, including n-95 masks for the general population.

With diligent searching, I have been able to find industrial n-95 mask.

Apparently, they are used in some welding, and other activities.

Assuming a product is authentic, you can check if it is approved here:

https://www2a.cdc.gov/drds/cel/cel_results.asp?schedule=&approvalno=&manufacturer=&facepiecetype=&sartype=&manufacturercode=&cbrn_scba=&startrecord=1501&maxrecords=50&sqlstmt=&appdateto=&appdatefrom=&producttype=aptype_2&powered=&scbatype=&scbause=&obsolete=&privatelabel=

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm not sure how that statement stacks up against the 110,000 who have died in the UK alone!

Agree.

It being the current leading cause of death now in the USA, saying the "virus that has an extremely low death rate" and does not matter also means neither does heart disease, cancer or any other medical condition as they all have a lower number of deaths that Covid-19.

On 2/15/2021 at 3:23 AM, caribill said:

It is not to prevent the wearer from catching the virus (although it does help some), it is to help prevent those who have the virus and do not know it from infecting others.

Most people will have been vaccinated prior to sailing so I'll let them worry about catching it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Most people will have been vaccinated prior to sailing so I'll let them worry about catching it. 

Assuming that passengers will not be required to be vaccinated (and we do not know if this will be the policy) if the unvaccinated do pass it around and show symptoms,  I would worry about the cruise being cut short.

2 minutes ago, caribill said:

Assuming that passengers will not be required to be vaccinated (and we do not know if this will be the policy) if the unvaccinated do pass it around and show symptoms,  I would worry about the cruise being cut short.

Every day another cruise line announces that vaccine proof will be required to sail.  Now that Saga, American Steamship Line and Crystal have announced I expect that other lines will fall in line