Cruise with/without a mask

antsp

7 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I am hearing what you are saying.  As far as I know no one has ever stop interstate travel in the history of the US nor will they ever.  Obvious a state can require a quarantine, but I doubt that they can even prevent someone from another state to enter their state.  

Just Bureaucratic B.S. in my opinion.  Although certainly well intended.  

They have not concerning COVID which as impactful as it was still only has a .65% mortality rate and with its long incubation period, asymptomatic cases, etc.  would be very difficult to stop with border enforcement between states (except maybe Hawaii or Alaska and both of those states did take the equivalent action with their own testing and quarantine programs, so no lack of local action there). 

I expect you would see different action, up to and including traffic stops at state boarders, if you had an outbreak with the characteristics of something like ebola.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 6:45 AM, direstealth said:

They should run ships with and without masks.  Treat people like grown ups and let them choose.  If you feel you are at high risk even with the vaccination or cannot have a vaccination, then go on a ship with masks.

Problem with that approach is that if you have a ship full of unmasked folks and then an outbreak occurs, what do you do with the resulting ship full of infected/exposed people?

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 8:45 AM, direstealth said:

Yes to vaccinations, no to masks. 

I wont being cruising anymore if I have to wear a mask.  Thats not my idea of a vaccation.

They should run ships with and without masks.  Treat people like grown ups and let them choose.  If you feel you are at high risk even with the vaccination or cannot have a vaccination, then go on a ship with masks.

Why should cruise lines run two different ships when it's easier for people like you to just stay home? If you don't want to wear a mask that's fine. People who want to cruise will wear one and you will do something else with your free time.

I seriously cannot believe this is still an issue a YEAR into a worldwide pandemic.

Wear a damn mask.  Yes, even after you've been vaccinated.  It's been proven to be highly successful in preventing the spread of a the virus.  I hate wearing them, too, but I like NOT getting sick from this insidious virus.  

5 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Wear a damn mask.  Yes, even after you've been vaccinated.

why should I ??? if i should happen to catch the 'rona - it will be a very mild case

YOU wear a mask if you haven't been vaccinated - or choose not to - that's on you , not me

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, voljeep said:

why should I ??? if i should happen to catch the 'rona - it will be a very mild case

YOU wear a mask if you haven't been vaccinated - or choose not to - that's on you , not me

So you're ok with potentially infecting others who haven't been vaccinated yet.

Got it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

So you're ok with potentially infecting others who haven't been vaccinated yet.

Got it.

I have to ask that if you have had the shots, why would it matter?  After all, you are protected, correct?  Please understand that this question is asked not to start an argument, but to understand the logic.  If the shots protect you from the virus, it should not matter whether someone else wears a mask.  Those who are not taking the shots do not seem to be worried about catching the virus.  Why should those who have taken the shots be worried?  Am I wrong somewhere? 

Edited by Lazz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, koolZip said:

Why should cruise lines run two different ships when it's easier for people like you to just stay home? If you don't want to wear a mask that's fine. People who want to cruise will wear one and you will do something else with your free time.

Agree.....the cruise lines will determine what will be required to sail and if people do not want to abide by the rules (like wearing a mask) then they miss out and stay home and can watch reruns of Love Boats.  Princess knows first hand what an outbreak of Covid - 19 on one of their ships can mean for them financially and to their corporate image..  

28 minutes ago, Lazz said:

I have to ask that if you have had the shots, why would it matter?  After all, you are protected, correct?  Please understand that this question is asked not to start an argument, but to understand the logic.  If the shots protect you from the virus, it should not matter whether someone else wears a mask.  Those who are not taking the shots do not seem to be worried about catching the virus.  Why should those who have taken the shots be worried?  Am I wrong somewhere? 

But what about those who have not yet been injected? If you have CV19 but are asymptomatic,  and don't wear a mask, you will potentially be infecting all those around you that are not yet protected.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

Because even with the vaccine you still do not want either the vaccinated or unvaccinated exposed to someone that is infected.  

According to the Israeli data (the best we have on actual performance in a vaccinated population) mortality is greatly reduced (by 98%) but not eliminated.  Even then that is against the original and the UK  strains.  Performance is expected to be worse for the partially vaccine resistant South African strain, B.1.351

Also because every infection is an opportunity for mutation. An infection in a vaccinated individual is an opportunity for mutation with vaccine resistant characteristics. And if that individual is not wearing a mask it becomes more likely to spread than if a mask is worn.

At this level of disease incidence vaccine is the last line of defense, once the incidence rate is much lower that the other methods can be reduced and vaccine can move up to the first line of defense.

Get the incidence rate down such that there is little to no risk of encountering an infected individual, then masks can go away.

If on board ship everyone is vaccinated (both passengers and crew), if they are all tested prior to boarding. then in that environment they might consider not wearing masks because the risk is low, but that changes if there is a port stop depending upon the incidence of disease at that stop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lazz said:

'Cause.... this:

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

But what about those who have not yet been injected? If you have CV19 but are asymptomatic,  and don't wear a mask, you will potentially be infecting all those around you that are not yet protected.

And this:

38 minutes ago, nocl said:

Because even with the vaccine you still do not want either the vaccinated or unvaccinated exposed to someone that is infected.  

According to the Israeli data (the best we have on actual performance in a vaccinated population) mortality is greatly reduced (by 98%) but not eliminated.  Even then that is against the original and the UK  strains.  Performance is expected to be worse for the partially vaccine resistant South African strain, B.1.351

Also because every infection is an opportunity for mutation. An infection in a vaccinated individual is an opportunity for mutation with vaccine resistant characteristics. And if that individual is not wearing a mask it becomes more likely to spread than if a mask is worn.

At this level of disease incidence vaccine is the last line of defense, once the incidence rate is much lower that the other methods can be reduced and vaccine can move up to the first line of defense.

Get the incidence rate down such that there is little to no risk of encountering an infected individual, then masks can go away.

If on board ship everyone is vaccinated (both passengers and crew), if they are all tested prior to boarding. then in that environment they might consider not wearing masks because the risk is low, but that changes if there is a port stop depending upon the incidence of disease at that stop.

Anyway, back to the question at hand:  Hell yes I'd wear a mask.  It's about being responsible. 

• Like 1

If a cruise line requires it. Do it.

It is too soon in the vaccination process to know what can happen.

things change as we learn about this virus and varients that follow. 

with the few cruises set to start up in 2021 we will see how things are handled. Some require passengers & crew to be vaccinated & others only require it for passengers. 

I will wear the mask if required or I see risk of spreading virus after vaccination. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Princess knows first hand what an outbreak of Covid - 19 on one of their ships can mean for them financially and to their corporate image..  

As will be shown in a film on HBO Max starting March 30.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24603-hbo-to-premiere-documentary-on-diamond-princess-s-covid-outbreak.html

Not going back to read the entire thread. so maybe this has been addressed. One has to consider that like many vaccines this vaccine seems to have a life span that current research puts at about three to four months ( hopefully longer time will tell) . Kind of like your flu vaccine. now flu season is just a few months every year. so one vaccine occasionally two will carry you through the season.  We all need to remember that we have potentially been vaccinated for the next 3 -4 months. So what then? Will you Sail on YOUR cruise within 3-4 months of your vaccination? some will , some will not. What if, when you sail you no longer have the level of protection that you once had, what if there is a variant that is more virulent. you may be sailing with nothing more than a piece of paper that says you were vaccinated at one time for  SARs COVID and that's it.  Another point to consider, the flu season is just about over for the US,  what have you heard about the flu this year? the flu numbers are down and likely secondary to the use of extensive mask use and hand hygiene. To each his own mask, no mask. But it appears that the mask did limit the flu this year. Also, with more virulent strains presenting. with weakened virus protection over time, and even if vaccinated fully you can still be the host to the virus and although not sick you can be the spreader. Now you are on a ship, a floating island so to speak, with a very finite population and I am sure very stringent contract tracing ( for heaven's sake the coin in you pocket, you precious medallion tells someone somewhere every place you stood and every other medallion you came in contact with!) do you want to be THAT GUY! just something to consider in the interest of all. 

8 hours ago, charlie murphy said:

Not going back to read the entire thread. so maybe this has been addressed. One has to consider that like many vaccines this vaccine seems to have a life span that current research puts at about three to four months ( hopefully longer time will tell) .

There have been no reports that I have seen about those enrolled in the vaccine tests last August and September (6 - 7 months ago) losing immunity.  Those participants are being followed for a few years at least if I remember correctly.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Pamster said:

Problem with that approach is that if you have a ship full of unmasked folks and then an outbreak occurs, what do you do with the resulting ship full of infected/exposed people?

The same thing they have done for years when there has been an outbreak of norovirus onboard.  Quarantine in cabin.

Edited by rljan
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, rljan said:

The same thing they have done for years when there has been an outbreak of norovirus onboard.  Quarantine in cabin.

Got to be careful how things are phrased. First read of this statement made me think that everyone had to quarantine in their cabin. My experience with a norovirus outbreak is only the person infected has to quarantine. The rest of the ship goes into some kind of color code (I forget the actual color) where food is now served to you at the buffet, salt and pepper shakers are removed from tables, the staff insists more firmly that hands be washed upon entering meal areas and so on.

Just now, memoak said:

This is not norovirus   This kills

Norovirus kills too. One of our more popular CC members lost his wife to norovirus a couple of years ago while on a Princess cruise in the area of Australia. It was absolutely tragic.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, charlie murphy said:

Not going back to read the entire thread. so maybe this has been addressed. One has to consider that like many vaccines this vaccine seems to have a life span that current research puts at about three to four months ( hopefully longer time will tell) . Kind of like your flu vaccine. now flu season is just a few months every year. so one vaccine occasionally two will carry you through the season.  We all need to remember that we have potentially been vaccinated for the next 3 -4 months. So what then? Will you Sail on YOUR cruise within 3-4 months of your vaccination? some will , some will not. What if, when you sail you no longer have the level of protection that you once had, what if there is a variant that is more virulent. you may be sailing with nothing more than a piece of paper that says you were vaccinated at one time for  SARs COVID and that's it.  Another point to consider, the flu season is just about over for the US,  what have you heard about the flu this year? the flu numbers are down and likely secondary to the use of extensive mask use and hand hygiene. To each his own mask, no mask. But it appears that the mask did limit the flu this year. Also, with more virulent strains presenting. with weakened virus protection over time, and even if vaccinated fully you can still be the host to the virus and although not sick you can be the spreader. Now you are on a ship, a floating island so to speak, with a very finite population and I am sure very stringent contract tracing ( for heaven's sake the coin in you pocket, you precious medallion tells someone somewhere every place you stood and every other medallion you came in contact with!) do you want to be THAT GUY! just something to consider in the interest of all. 

While it is still early in the process, since even the first individuals in the Clinical trials were vaccinated less than a year ago, the expectations are more in line with a year timeframe, not 3-4 months.

11 hours ago, caribill said:

Wonder if they are going to include any of the information from the Japanese documentary which included a lot of detailed information from analysis on spread, crew training, etc. that gave a lot of information on exactly what happened or if they are going to focus more on interviews and commentary.  Hopefully they will include both.

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

Norovirus kills too. One of our more popular CC members lost his wife to norovirus a couple of years ago while on a Princess cruise in the area of Australia. It was absolutely tragic.

While it does happen the mortality rate from Norovirus is around  .0045%  (900 deaths in 20 million cases in a normal year in the US).  About 2 orders of magnitude smaller than with Coronavirus.

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

Got to be careful how things are phrased. First read of this statement made me think that everyone had to quarantine in their cabin. My experience with a norovirus outbreak is only the person infected has to quarantine. The rest of the ship goes into some kind of color code (I forget the actual color) where food is now served to you at the buffet, salt and pepper shakers are removed from tables, the staff insists more firmly that hands be washed upon entering meal areas and so on.

Well said.  Those who have the virus are quarantined.  In the current state of hysteria I should not assume that was a given.  I have been on several cruises with norovirus and you have perfectly described the procedures.  BTW we never got the virus on those cruises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1