Cruise with/without a mask

antsp

10 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

Thanks for making assumptions.

Spouse and I had covid just prior to lockdown. Of course there was no testing for it then but we had classic symptoms starting with loss of all taste and smell, and our doctor was pretty certain. Still had us antibody test which was positive, but we did have mild cases. Therefore doctor recommended we go ahead and get the vaccine which we did. The vaccine we received has been recently reported to cut asymptomatic cases which is the ones they're afraid of vaccinated people getting causing spread of covid by 2/3 from the first dose in a study of people who got it very early. We received both doses. My doctor assures us it is highly unlikely we could spread it, but we will of course still be tested prior to boarding the ship. 

I see nothing self-centered or selfish about taking all reasonable precautions then going ahead.

I was NOT referring to you.  I was referring to the group of people who are refusing to get vaccinated.

I had COVID-19 a year ago before testing was available also,.  I spent all Spring, Summer and Fall dealing with long haul issues.  I still have some.  I have had my vaccinations.  But, I have nothing for anyone who refuses to get a vaccination, preferring to have everyone else provide their protection via herd immunity.  If you medically are prohibited, that's OK.  I'll protect you.  But the others, no way.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I was NOT referring to you.  I was referring to the group of people who are refusing to get vaccinated.

I had COVID-19 a year ago before testing was available also,.  I spent all Spring, Summer and Fall dealing with long haul issues.  I still have some.  I have had my vaccinations.  But, I have nothing for anyone who refuses to get a vaccination, preferring to have everyone else provide their protection via herd immunity.  If you medically are prohibited, that's OK.  I'll protect you.  But the others, no way.  

Many apologies. I agree the people just refusing vaccination are quite vexing. I'm so sorry you had such long haul issues. Husband and I were exceedingly lucky. We had mild cases and the worst of it was I was unable to take the stairs as usual at work for several weeks. I went to a respiration therapist who worked with me and it got better luckily. 

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

You missed the point of the thread -- the self-centeredness and selfishness referred to was that of an individual who felt he/she did not have to get the vaccine -- rather just wait until "herd immunity" was achieved.

Thank you and many apologies. I can't imagine not getting vaccinated. But then I am old enough some of my older cousins had Polio.

For many years now, I've orchestrated a "Friends and Frailly Annual Winter Caribbean Cruise". The number of folks who go vary annually, but I asked the overall group "Would you go on the cruise if you had to wear a mask?  Asking 36 people/couples and 4 said "yes" 4 did not reply and 28 said "no".  Of those who said 'no" the biggest reason was "I don't want to have to sit by the pool with a mask on", and the second was "If i go ashore, I don't want to have to go on a ship's organized tour". At this time, I'm  not organizing a cruise. but I'm keeping an eye and ear open in the event that requirements change as it is still  9 - 10 months from now that we'd go.

On 4/20/2021 at 5:19 AM, marco said:

"If i go ashore, I don't want to have to go on a ship's organized tour".

This is a bigger issue to me than wearing a mask.  

On 4/20/2021 at 5:19 AM, marco said:

"I don't want to have to sit by the pool with a mask on"

Is that the expected policy for cruises with masks?  I thought the ships currently cruising allowed people to not wear masks while sitting at the pool.

43 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

This is a bigger issue to me than wearing a mask.  

That's the bigger issue for us also.

44 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Is that the expected policy for cruises with masks?  I thought the ships currently cruising allowed people to not wear masks while sitting at the pool.

If they keep the lounge chairs properly separated I don't  see why the masks need to be worn. Even inside dining just has you wear the mask anytime you leave you table. Since I don't go to pools, no problemo 🙂

Just for a little "vacation" context:  I just got back from a camping trip down to Zion National Park in So. Utah.  It was as crowded as usual - day parking spots are full by 9am.  It was a crowd that had a few different languages being spoken.  There were more people than not wearing masks.  Wearing masks in the campground when walking to/from your campsite (didn't wear in your actual campsite), on the shuttles into the Canyon (and only x number of people per bus for distancing), and when hiking trails (they seemed as crowded as your local freeway at rush hour.   I didn't hear anyone whining about wearing a mask on their vacation.  I was actually rather pleased to see so many people still adhering to masking and social distancing.   After wearing a mask for 8-9 hours a day at work this Winter, popping it on and off was not a biggie.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, slidergirl said:

Just for a little "vacation" context:  I just got back from a camping trip down to Zion National Park in So. Utah.  It was as crowded as usual - day parking spots are full by 9am.  It was a crowd that had a few different languages being spoken.  There were more people than not wearing masks.  Wearing masks in the campground when walking to/from your campsite (didn't wear in your actual campsite), on the shuttles into the Canyon (and only x number of people per bus for distancing), and when hiking trails (they seemed as crowded as your local freeway at rush hour.   I didn't hear anyone whining about wearing a mask on their vacation.  I was actually rather pleased to see so many people still adhering to masking and social distancing.   After wearing a mask for 8-9 hours a day at work this Winter, popping it on and off was not a biggie.  

Well, I guess that shows that campers have it while some cruisers don't. Thanks for sharing this.

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

Here's some reports from Singapore:

A Covid-Free Cruise Takes Planning, but the Strip Show Goes On

Video on board:

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Regarding Zion.   How long, would you guess, is the round trip shuttle through the canyon?  Just trying to set a benchmark of sorts.  Thx   

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Regarding Zion.   How long, would you guess, is the round trip shuttle through the canyon?  Just trying to set a benchmark of sorts.  Thx   

Hmm.  If you don't get off the shuttle and just ride, I'd say the round trip could be maybe a half hour - 45 minutes.   You would get on at the Visitor Center, which is outside the Canyon.  It's not that far to the left turn to enter the Canyon.  The "end" of the line is at the Narrows stop.  The thing that could make a difference would be if you were staying at the Lodge inside the Park - that one is actually inside the Canyon.  

17 hours ago, slidergirl said:

After wearing a mask for 8-9 hours a day at work this Winter, popping it on and off was not a biggie.  

Wearing a mask for even a much shorter period of time is a "biggie" if one has shortness of breath issues!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Hmm.  If you don't get off the shuttle and just ride, I'd say the round trip could be maybe a half hour - 45 minutes.   You would get on at the Visitor Center, which is outside the Canyon.  It's not that far to the left turn to enter the Canyon.  The "end" of the line is at the Narrows stop.  The thing that could make a difference would be if you were staying at the Lodge inside the Park - that one is actually inside the Canyon.  

Thanks.  That helps add some perspective.   Staying at the lodge is one of our options.   

18 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Here's some reports from Singapore:

A Covid-Free Cruise Takes Planning, but the Strip Show Goes On

Video on board:

Couldn't read the NYT article, but it looked from the video that people were sitting by the pool without a mask.  I guess RCL is trying to get as much money as possible charging $40 to ride their North Star attraction.  I would pass on that one.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Wearing a mask for even a much shorter period of time is a "biggie" if one has shortness of breath issues!

Is there a treatment for shortness of breath? What does your doctor say?

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Couldn't read the NYT article, but it looked from the video that people were sitting by the pool without a mask.  I guess RCL is trying to get as much money as possible charging $40 to ride their North Star attraction.  I would pass on that one.

Try erasing cookies? Well at least the video worked for you👍, though the article went into more detail regarding the covid safe rules on the ship. 

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Oh please.  I'm asthmatic, I still have long haul breathing issues.  And, I get claustrophobic with anything tight around my face. I've learned how to deal with it and found some masks that for well for me.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In this context I think it is wrong to demonize someone for saying they have difficulty wearing a mask, especially someone who has previously explained their reasons and has said they understand the mask mandate and abide by it when they go out.

Not everyone finds it "easy" to mask up, even though we do it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

In this context I think it is wrong to demonize someone for saying they have difficulty wearing a mask, especially someone who has previously explained their reasons and has said they understand the mask mandate and abide by it when they go out.

Thank you. The “my opinion is the only right one” folk’s comments are getting old. Not everyone finds mask wearing easy or even sensible in many situations where others seem to think them necessary. Wearing a mask is a “biggie” for many people and no one has a right to deny that. It is how they feel physically and emotionally.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Thank you. The “my opinion is the only right one” folk’s comments are getting old. 

It’s beyond old, and they are the reason so many long time and decent posters have abandoned this board. It’s really sad to see what this board has become because of them. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Cynthia - it was not easy at first.  But, to have my job, it was mandatory.  I tried several brands/types of masks before I found some that did not give me such anxiety that I had to rip them off.  I had to get used to walking up flights of stairs at 8100 ft, shovel snow, haul luggage with the mask.  Stop, put it under my chin, do a half minute of mindful breathing, put it back on.  Repeat as I needed.  I did get to the point where I didn't even realize I had it on.  I'm sure I could have gone doctor shopping to find one who would write a scrip for me to say that, due to my asthma and SOB issues due to long haul.  But I didn't.  I actually do not know of any of my long haul brothers and sisters on some of our groups who got a scrip for avoiding mask use, outside of those who must still constantly use oxygen.  

Yes, I'm a strong advocate of continuing masking, social distancing and sanitary procedures until we reach herd immunity OR our medical leaders say things have changed enough to discontinue.  If I want to travel or cruise, whatever is required I will do without whining.  If I can't, I won't do it.  I just do not have any patience or feelings for anyone who refuses to wear a mask unless she has a legitimate documented medical reason.  Call me aggressive.  That's OK, I've been called worse by now-former friends...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

If I want to travel or cruise, whatever is required I will do without whining.  If I can't, I won't do it.  I just do not have any patience or feelings for anyone who refuses to wear a mask unless she has a legitimate documented medical reason.  Call me aggressive.  That's OK, I've been called worse by now-former friends...

I agree with you that people shall do what's required without whining. I don't want to cruise if I have to wear a mask. I will not whine about it,  I just won't do it.

People shall not refuse to wear a mask when it's mandatory. When it's not mandatory it's everybodys choice to decide if they shall wear a mask or not.