Cruise with/without a mask

antsp

On 4/9/2021 at 9:09 PM, ldubs said:

I doubt too many wear masks at home.   😀

You'd be surprised I bet.  I mean there are morons wearing them in their cars by themselves.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

But it will still be rather few cruises this summer if everyone has to be vaccinated.

I haven't made an exact count, but probably around 50 from the UK over the three summer months. A large number, but many are only 3 or 4 days in length. 

1 hour ago, Sky616 said:

You'd be surprised I bet.  I mean there are morons wearing them in their cars by themselves.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I agree about that. What is the point?

My original comment to CBatSea was totally in jest.  In fact I agree with him about masks and cruises.  

I've found myself driving the car with a mask on because I forgot to take it off.  

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I haven't made an exact count, but probably around 50 from the UK over the three summer months. A large number, but many are only 3 or 4 days in length. 

Will that be enough for the cruiselines to survive?

Today 5,9% of the adults in Sweden have recieved two shots and lots of people here will not be vaccinated before summer. I think that we are somewhere in the middle of the European Union when it comes to Covidvaccination.

I think that most people will not book a cruise for this summer if they don't know for sure that they will get their shots in time if it's required to cruise.

6 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Will that be enough for the cruiselines to survive?

In the short term it improves cash flow, and as long as a regular cruise programme restarts in the late autumn, most lines will survive.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

In the short term it improves cash flow, and as long as a regular cruise programme restarts in the late autumn, most lines will survive.

So it sounds like you work in the business.

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

I think that most people will not book a cruise for this summer if they don't know for sure that they will get their shots in time if it's required to cruise.

For sure, this is a country by country decision which will influence where cruises are being offered.  The relatively high level of vaccination

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I would think that as long as they cover the operational expenses they are good from a cash perspective.  Of course, the cruise lines may even be willing to take a loss on operations if they view it as an investment to keep themselves relevant in the minds of travel.

Good thing the world is awash in cheap money...  Maybe not long term, but it helps the lines today!

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

For sure, this is a country by country decision which will influence where cruises are being offered.  The relatively high level of vaccination

I absolutely agree with this.

Lots of people in the UK are vaccinated so they seem to have rather many cruises this summer, but many are short.

Many in the US are vaccinated too but from what I have seen here your authorities don't seem to be in a hurry to allow cruises. (Maybe I have missunderstood that, I hope so!)

In the EU too few are still vaccinated so it's still difficult to require vaccinations for cruises here. Hopefully that will change but most people want to book a cruise for this summer NOW and not later.

Edited by sverigecruiser

4 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Good thing the world is awash in cheap money...  Maybe not long term, but it helps the lines today!

Didn't Carnival borrow billions of dollars at around 11% ? Not that cheap! 

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I read something today and of course can't find it now. But, yes, and it sounds like they're not in a good position at all right now.

53 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, but I consider some, (like your good self) to be more expert than others! 

Are you channeling your inner Orwell today?  With apologies to the late, great author - "All posters are expert, but some posters are more expert than others."  

I thought about posting this adaptation of Orwell's famous line from "Animal Farm" after reading @navybankerteacher, but your post pushed me over the top!  🙂

51 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I didn't know that before you mentioned it.  I guess the bankers are factoring in a risk premium in these loans.  Could you imagine what the rates might have been if money was tight?  Wow!

Here is a story on the loan some of which is convertible to stock:

https://investorplace.com/2021/04/cruising-may-resume-too-late-to-save-carnival-stock/

The losses from having its boats docked caused enormous financial damage to both Carnival and Arison. While the company is based in Miami, its ships fly “flags of convenience” to avoid taxes and regulation. This made it ineligible for the huge bailouts other companies got in 2020.

But the Federal Reserve did throw so much cash into the economy that Arison was able to raise the money needed to keep Carnival alive.  This included a $4 billion loan at 11.5% and a $1.75 billion loan convertible into stock.

I also didn't realize the level of expansion Carnival was on before the pandemic:

Before the pandemic Carnival was expecting delivery of up to 22 new ships by 2025. It was putting all its cash flow to work. Capital spending topped out in 2019 at $5.4 billion. The company had just $46 million in free cash flow that year, with the money going to pay out loans and maintain a $0.50/share quarterly dividend costing nearly $1.4 billion/year to service.

We'll see how it goes in terms of paying off the debt in 2023 or if they roll it over.  My gut suggests that Carnival will survive and do well again.  It might even be worth purchasing at some point:

It’s these loans that loom over the stock now. Carnival still had $9.5 billion in cash at the end of 2020, after losses of over $10 billion through December. But the big note is due in 2023 and that’s not far away. The company is next expected to report earnings April 17 for the quarter ended in February 2021, with expected losses of $1.51/share. Compare that with a November quarter loss of $2.41/share and you can see why some are optimistic about CCL.

Edited by SelectSys

1 hour ago, sjg1973 said:

Sad.

What are you sad about? 

1. That they need to wear a mask on the cruise?
  2. That they are taking a cruise in accordance with all applicable government regulations?
  3. That you can't go on the cruise and want to?
  4. Something else?

Just curious.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2021 at 6:25 AM, navybankerteacher said:

I am not convinced it attains the level of irony.

How about self-centeredness?  Selfishness?  Uneducated on what it actually takes for so-called "herd immunity?"    So many that we won't get there, so they can get sick and die...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

How about self-centeredness?  Selfishness?  Uneducated on what it actually takes for so-called "herd immunity?"    So many that we won't get there, so they can get sick and die...

Thanks for making assumptions.

Spouse and I had covid just prior to lockdown. Of course there was no testing for it then but we had classic symptoms starting with loss of all taste and smell, and our doctor was pretty certain. Still had us antibody test which was positive, but we did have mild cases. Therefore doctor recommended we go ahead and get the vaccine which we did. The vaccine we received has been recently reported to cut asymptomatic cases which is the ones they're afraid of vaccinated people getting causing spread of covid by 2/3 from the first dose in a study of people who got it very early. We received both doses. My doctor assures us it is highly unlikely we could spread it, but we will of course still be tested prior to boarding the ship. 

I see nothing self-centered or selfish about taking all reasonable precautions then going ahead.

Edited by TravelinGert

2 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

Spouse and I had covid just prior to lockdown. Of course there was no testing for it then but we had classic symptoms starting with loss of all taste and smell, and our doctor was pretty certain. Still had us antibody test which was positive, but we did have mild cases. Therefore doctor recommended we go ahead and get the vaccine which we did. The vaccine we received has been recently reported to cut asymptomatic cases which is the ones they're afraid of vaccinated people getting causing spread of covid by 2/3 from the first dose in a study of people who got it very early. We received both doses. My doctor assures us it is highly unlikely we could spread it, but we will of course still be tested prior to boarding the ship. 

I see nothing self-centered or selfish about taking all reasonable precautions then going ahead.

I don't think any one was referring to you. The comments about herd immunity etc, were directed at a poster who was adamant that he was not going to be vaccinated, and was waiting for everyone else to have the vaccine so that herd immunity would be achieved. He seemed oblivious to the hypocrisy of his position. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

You missed the point of the thread -- the self-centeredness and selfishness referred to was that of an individual who felt he/she did not have to get the vaccine -- rather just wait until "herd immunity" was achieved.