Cruise with/without a mask

antsp

On 2/6/2021 at 1:30 PM, antsp said:

We have decided not to go on a cruise until mask/face coverings are not required 

my question is would you sail on a cruise were you had to wear a mask/face covering

YES or No answers please

Yes....No problem. I wear one all the time when I’m out. No difference to me. 

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

Will absolutely wear a mask, in fact from now on, even if not required, in the future will wear one for all air flights, embarkation onto all ships and even while attending evening shows in show lounge.  In my opinion wearing masks until COVID reaches very low numbers is a no brainer.   We all want to cruise, we also have to think about the citizens of countries we are hoping to visit, to protect them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

YES.

We are both fully vaccinated, but will still mask up. I only don't like it because I tend to want to live in a problem-free fantasy land when I'm vacationing. A mask is just a reminder of reality. LOL

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bassmk said:

YES.

We are both fully vaccinated, but will still mask up. I only don't like it because I tend to want to live in a problem-free fantasy land when I'm vacationing. A mask is just a reminder of reality. LOL

Maybe we need some made out of cruise-themed fabric? 

5 hours ago, bassmk said:

YES.

Good attitude.  Someday it will be as you wish.  

On 3/3/2021 at 6:51 PM, nocl said:

CDC is a data driven organization.  They make recommendations based on the data they have, not what they want the data to be.  

As they get more data on the longevity they will extend the recommendation.  Keep in mind that the recommendation is only about where one can safely lower the recommended restrictions.  That is why they are making that on the conservative side.

They are not making declarations on the length of time immunity from vaccination lasts, but except for the situation listed above they are not recommending changes in behavior for those vaccinated at this time.

They may be data driven.. well I'll agree and say they are.  However, there is much speculation as to how one uses such data.  Also, if data isn't available... which is the case with tons of issue with this new virus, the CDC does issue guidelines usually based upon past practices.  Suffice to say, there is plenty of room for interpretation... So, it's short sighted to believe the CDC has data to back up their guidelines.  And I'm still unclear how they control cruises.  I suspect it's some other body that uses CDC's recommendations?  Point is, the CDC makes calls in a bit of a vacuum.  i.e, they can claim what is safe, but in the end, most things have risk.  It's up to controlling authorities to decide what restrictions should be required to LIMIT not eliminate risk.  Most of the guidelines that they have issued are just used as a measuring stick by an individual state or health dept for example.  And data is a moving target.. just look at the recent distance guideline for student.. it went from 6 to 3 feet.  I wonder why it wasn't 3 ft months ago?  They're pointing to a months' old study.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

They may be data driven.. well I'll agree and say they are.  However, there is much speculation as to how one uses such data.  Also, if data isn't available... which is the case with tons of issue with this new virus, the CDC does issue guidelines usually based upon past practices.  Suffice to say, there is plenty of room for interpretation... So, it's short sighted to believe the CDC has data to back up their guidelines.  And I'm still unclear how they control cruises.  I suspect it's some other body that uses CDC's recommendations?  Point is, the CDC makes calls in a bit of a vacuum.  i.e, they can claim what is safe, but in the end, most things have risk.  It's up to controlling authorities to decide what restrictions should be required to LIMIT not eliminate risk.  Most of the guidelines that they have issued are just used as a measuring stick by an individual state or health dept for example.  And data is a moving target.. just look at the recent distance guideline for student.. it went from 6 to 3 feet.  I wonder why it wasn't 3 ft months ago?  They're pointing to a months' old study.

If you read the CDC orders they reference the legal authority.  Basically it comes down to the power of quarantine at the national border.  They also have authority to utilize the Coast Guard in the enforcement process.

The CDC also has authority when it comes to state lines.  They can take action to prevent infection from going across state lines if they feel insufficient action is taken by local authorities.  They do not have authority inside each state.  The authority there rests with the state, not the Federal Government.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nocl said:

If you read the CDC orders they reference the legal authority.  Basically it comes down to the power of quarantine at the national border.  They also have authority to utilize the Coast Guard in the enforcement process.

The CDC also has authority when it comes to state lines.  They can take action to prevent infection from going across state lines if they feel insufficient action is taken by local authorities.  They do not have authority inside each state.  The authority there rests with the state, not the Federal Government.

The CDC has the authority to totally stop interstate travel? .  So you believe they have the authority to lock down a state?  Very hard to believe and it would be impossible to enforce.  Where does the CDC get such authority?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

The CDC has the authority to totally stop interstate travel? .  So you believe they have the authority to lock down a state?  Very hard to believe and it would be impossible to enforce.  Where does the CDC get such authority?

That is not what was stated; it’s about preventing the spread of communicable diseases, not stopping interstate travel or ‘locking down’ states as you put it.  Here is a reference for your information:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/aboutlawsregulationsquarantineisolation.html

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

Maybe we need some made out of cruise-themed fabric? 

yep, both vaccinated ... got the cruise themed masks already to go ... wife makes them

I've got 40+ ( at last count ) custom fitted masks of various themes - got more masks than places to go 🍻

• Like 2

Yes to vaccinations, no to masks. 

I wont being cruising anymore if I have to wear a mask.  Thats not my idea of a vaccation.

They should run ships with and without masks.  Treat people like grown ups and let them choose.  If you feel you are at high risk even with the vaccination or cannot have a vaccination, then go on a ship with masks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jagoffee said:

The CDC gets its authority from the Public Health Service Act.  The specific portions are defined in 42 CFR Part 70 (Interstate) and Part 71 (Foreign).

You can read part 70 here.  These portions as well as other portions of the CFR do and have been interpreted by the courts as giving the CDC the authority, if necessary to stop interstate travel, if it is necessary to stop the spread of a communicable disease if they feel that insufficient action has not been taken by local authorities.  It is under part 70 that they have restricted small cruise ships inside of the US from sailing with over 250 passengers on board if they cross state lines, which they pretty much all would.  For that matter they have even used that to put in place a moratorium on evictions (would cause increased interstate travel by possible infected individuals).  Though I consider that to be over reach on their part.

Again their enforcement powers are restricted to the state lines  and national borders and not inside of any state. Note that 70.2 uses the word including, instead of the words limited to. As such the actions go beyond the items listed.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/42/part-70

In specific part 70.2  

Whenever the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention determines that the measures taken by health authorities of any State or possession (including political subdivisions thereof) are insufficient to prevent the spread of any of the communicable diseases from such State or possession to any other State or possession, he/she may take such measures to prevent such spread of the diseases as he/she deems reasonably necessary, including inspection, fumigation, disinfection, sanitation, pest extermination, and destruction of animals or articles believed to be sources of infection.

and 70.6

70.6 Apprehension and detention of persons with quarantinable communicable diseases.

(a) The Director may authorize the apprehension, medical examination, quarantine, isolation, or conditional release of any individual for the purpose of preventing the introduction, transmission, and spread of quarantinable communicable diseases, as specified by Executive Order, based upon a finding that:

(1) The individual is reasonably believed to be infected with a quarantinable communicable disease in a qualifying stage and is moving or about to move from a State into another State; or

(2) The individual is reasonably believed to be infected with a quarantinable communicable disease in a qualifying stage and constitutes a probable source of infection to other individuals who may be moving from a State into another State.

(b) The Director will arrange for adequate food and water, appropriate accommodation, appropriate medical treatment, and means of necessary communication for individuals who are apprehended or held in quarantine or isolation under this part.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 3:59 PM, Pamster said:

Probably yes. We will have been vaccinated. But lots of variables. Will vaccinations be required of everyone? State of variants in the population.  And reports from previous crises as to how the limitations were followed and enforced. 

Have no problem wearing a mask . my wife and I  will be fully vaccinated before traveling anyway. I stayed away from work for a year because they refused to wear masks in a retail store. .I honestly think from here on out  the cruise industry should make it mandatory anyone over 12 years old should show proof of  being vaccinated before cruising. . . Children can’t go to school without showing proof of vaccine for polio, Diphtheria, Tetanus and Hepatitis,  Chicken pox, . Stay safe  live long enough to twkeyour grandkids on a cruise ..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, voljeep said:

yep, both vaccinated ... got the cruise themed masks already to go ... wife makes them

I've got 40+ ( at last count ) custom fitted masks of various themes - got more masks than places to go 🍻

I've only got about 20. I had to experiment to find the shape that fit best and didn't require fiddling to keep over my nose and mouth. Shaped didn't work, so I had to give them all away. I'll have to make some custom for cruising if they're still required.

10 hours ago, Larrytheg said:

Children can’t go to school without showing proof of vaccine for polio, Diphtheria, Tetanus and Hepatitis,  Chicken pox, . 

Not entirely true, even in Washington.  There are exemptions.  It's all online: https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=28A.210.090.  Pretty sure it's only MMR that doesn't have the philosophical exemption (not wholly sure for Washington).

But, yes, mitigate those of life's risks you can, while still living your life.  Grow old enough to take your grandchildren on a cruise.  Don't drive at night when the cataracts are bad, don't drink and drive, don't forget your tetanus shot if you live somewhere you're likely to step on a rusty nail, don't eat too many doughnuts, fried or fast food, etc.  Weigh which benefits outweigh the risks.  For some, it's getting every vax the CDC recommends and on their schedule (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/vaccines-age.html).  Others have different risk assessments.  I might disagree with someone else's assessment, but they have the right to make it.

Edited by Incognito1

1 hour ago, Incognito1 said:

Not entirely true, even in Washington.  There are exemptions.  It's all online: https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=28A.210.090.  Pretty sure it's only MMR that doesn't have the philosophical exemption (not wholly sure for Washington).

But, yes, mitigate those of life's risks you can, while still living your life.  Grow old enough to take your grandchildren on a cruise.  Don't drive at night when the cataracts are bad, don't drink and drive, don't forget your tetanus shot if you live somewhere you're likely to step on a rusty nail, don't eat too many doughnuts, fried or fast food, etc.  Weigh which benefits outweigh the risks.  For some, it's getting every vax the CDC recommends and on their schedule (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/vaccines-age.html).  Others have different risk assessments.  I might disagree with someone else's assessment, but they have the right to make it.

Don’t try to go to a lot of countries that require vaccines. I have taken vaccines for yellow fever, malaria, typhoid because countries I want to go to require it.  Already Iceland required COVID vaccination to visit. Have fun staying at home

16 hours ago, direstealth said:

They should run ships with and without masks.  Treat people like grown ups and let them choose.  If you feel you are at high risk even with the vaccination or cannot have a vaccination, then go on a ship with masks.

The main reason to wear a mask is not to protect yourself, it is to protect others in case you have asymptomatic Covid-19 and thus might infect other people.

Wearing or not wearing a mask is not a decision of if one is at high risk for catching the disease, but is a decision of one's willingness to possibly spread it to other people.

So to some extent I agree with you. Those who do not want to wear a mask should sail all by themselves so they will not be infecting other people on the ship with those who wear masks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2021 at 7:02 PM, nocl said:

21 hours ago, d9704011 said:

That is not what was stated; it’s about preventing the spread of communicable diseases, not stopping interstate travel or ‘locking down’ states as you put it.  Here is a reference for your information:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/aboutlawsregulationsquarantineisolation.html

17 hours ago, nocl said:

The CDC gets its authority from the Public Health Service Act.  The specific portions are defined in 42 CFR Part 70 (Interstate) and Part 71 (Foreign).

You can read part 70 here.  These portions as well as other portions of the CFR do and have been interpreted by the courts as giving the CDC the authority, if necessary to stop interstate travel, if it is necessary to stop the spread of a communicable disease if they feel that insufficient action has not been taken by local authorities.  It is under part 70 that they have restricted small cruise ships inside of the US from sailing with over 250 passengers on board if they cross state lines, which they pretty much all would.  For that matter they have even used that to put in place a moratorium on evictions (would cause increased interstate travel by possible infected individuals).  Though I consider that to be over reach on their part.

Again their enforcement powers are restricted to the state lines  and national borders and not inside of any state. Note that 70.2 uses the word including, instead of the words limited to. As such the actions go beyond the items listed.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/42/part-70

In specific part 70.2  

Whenever the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention determines that the measures taken by health authorities of any State or possession (including political subdivisions thereof) are insufficient to prevent the spread of any of the communicable diseases from such State or possession to any other State or possession, he/she may take such measures to prevent such spread of the diseases as he/she deems reasonably necessary, including inspection, fumigation, disinfection, sanitation, pest extermination, and destruction of animals or articles believed to be sources of infection.

and 70.6

70.6 Apprehension and detention of persons with quarantinable communicable diseases.

(a) The Director may authorize the apprehension, medical examination, quarantine, isolation, or conditional release of any individual for the purpose of preventing the introduction, transmission, and spread of quarantinable communicable diseases, as specified by Executive Order, based upon a finding that:

(1) The individual is reasonably believed to be infected with a quarantinable communicable disease in a qualifying stage and is moving or about to move from a State into another State; or

(2) The individual is reasonably believed to be infected with a quarantinable communicable disease in a qualifying stage and constitutes a probable source of infection to other individuals who may be moving from a State into another State.

(b) The Director will arrange for adequate food and water, appropriate accommodation, appropriate medical treatment, and means of necessary communication for individuals who are apprehended or held in quarantine or isolation under this part.

I am hearing what you are saying.  As far as I know no one has ever stop interstate travel in the history of the US nor will they ever.  Obvious a state can require a quarantine, but I doubt that they can even prevent someone from another state to enter their state.  

Just Bureaucratic B.S. in my opinion.  Although certainly well intended.  

• Like 2