Cruise with/without a mask

antsp

I started this thread, and I am in no way anti mask, but we have made the decision not to cruise until its safe enough to do so without needing to wear a mask. The other thing that puts me off is having to book shows, game shows bars theatre etc,and also the bubble of ship tours. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, antsp said:

I started this thread, and I am in no way anti mask, but we have made the decision not to cruise until its safe enough to do so without needing to wear a mask. The other thing that puts me off is having to book shows, game shows bars theatre etc,and also the bubble of ship tours. 

Has Princess announced these rules?

On 2/6/2021 at 9:22 PM, PrincessLuver said:

Yes....Have no desire to be on a cruise where people do not practice safe behavior for themselves and others.... cannot really understand what the problem is with wearing a mask.....I guess life is just too tough for some!

Life is tough for everyone.  I cannot (seriously) breath with anything blocking my air intake (would faint within a few minutes) and cannot see either (with foggy glasses especially in brutal 15F weather going inside).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kirtihk said:

Life is tough for everyone.  I cannot (seriously) breath with anything blocking my air intake (would faint within a few minutes) and cannot see either (with foggy glasses especially in brutal 15F weather going inside).

Perhaps you need to try different masks - some are much easier to breathe through than others?

22 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

This is also my top concern because enforcement is done by crew who don’t want to upset anyone which could negatively affect their jobs. Obviously preventing the spread of CV19 is much more serious than chair-hog violators however some of these types of people will pushback against wearing masks onboard when required which is one of my top concerns about resuming cruising.

It’s to be expected that the experience will be diminished until CV19 is managed to become more like other shipboard illnesses. Until then we’ll likely spend more time on our balcony, dine in cabin & watching entertainment on the TV. Although even on a completely booked ship we can find quiet spots to relax which should be easier to find due to a reduced passenger capacity.

I don’t have much faith in any cruise lines ability to enforce their mask & distancing policies but hopefully I’m wrong & will feel safe on our booked late 2021 & early 2022 cruises. 

This is a bit more serious than dealing with chair hogs and discourteous people.  The captan/master is responsible for certifying to the USCG on entering port that all is well on board (practique).  He and the cruise line are held responsible with significant fines and restrictions if health violations are not followed.  Cruise lines will also not want the negative publicity of violating COVID-19 health practices.  I can see scofflaws being sent ashore at the first opportunity.  

We are looking forward to sailing again Spring 2022 and have booked east and west bound TAs.  If cruising necessitates wearing PPE in public places we will do so willing.  It's for our safety.

• Like 2

It’s hard for me to breathe with a mask on, but if it means getting to cruise again and to increase prevention while on the cruise, I’ll do it. I think I’ll spend a lot more time in areas with fresh air, like hopefully my balcony or loungers far far away from others. It’ll be interesting to see if Princess requires a mask while socially distanced on loungers. I followed the blogs of Europeans who cruised during the pandemic, and it appeared they didn’t need them as long as their loungers were at least 6 ft away from others. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 8:19 AM, HS2BS said:

Masks are just one of the questions - are the rules that Princess follows, the CDC rules for the US; then what happens on all the European cruises scheduled. What rules are they going to follow? Right now we have the Regal scheduled for 14 days out of Southampton to Norway fjords.

Norway is shut down till 5/1/21, then what. UK is no better then the US situation. Whose rules are to be followed, all vaccinated, masks, restricted excursions, testing, testing and what if? Might be too early to sit on a plane for hours, foreign hotel, cabs and board a cruise ship that has the possibility of being “unhealthy” with people from all over the world.
What we are doing is considering all the possibilities, weighing the facts, and waiting till final payment(May2) to decide. Also, have backed this cruise up with another(Sky Princess) for summer of 22.

Hal

I am pretty sure that the EU and the countries from which the ship departs from will have their own rules.  Probably the same as has been applied to the cruises that left out of various countries in the EU in 2020.

17 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

It’s hard for me to breathe with a mask on, but if it means getting to cruise again and to increase prevention while on the cruise, I’ll do it. I think I’ll spend a lot more time in areas with fresh air, like hopefully my balcony or loungers far far away from others. It’ll be interesting to see if Princess requires a mask while socially distanced on loungers. I followed the blogs of Europeans who cruised during the pandemic, and it appeared they didn’t need them as long as their loungers were at least 6 ft away from others. 

I wish we could find a lounger more than 2 inches from another lounger.

17 minutes ago, beach_fever_4ever said:

I wish we could find a lounger more than 2 inches from another lounger.

LOL......isn't that the truth......it will be interesting to see how they restructure everything to encourage physical distancing.....cannot imagine how long lines to Anytime Dinning will be if they require 6 foot spacing before entry......

Frankly do not understand the "I can't breath(e) with a mask on."  Millions of people wear them 8-10-12 hours a day with no problem.

I just got off the treadmill, 40 minutes cardio, wearing a triple layer mask (our gym requires it) and had no problem.  Been wearing one while hiking in the mountains for almost a year.  I can breathe.

BTW, I suffer from both COPD and emphysema. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Frankly do not understand the "I can't breath(e) with a mask on."  Millions of people wear them 8-10-12 hours a day with no problem.

I just got off the treadmill, 40 minutes cardio, wearing a triple layer mask (our gym requires it) and had no problem.  Been wearing one while hiking in the mountains for almost a year.  I can breathe.

You're very fortunate that you can breath with a mask on.

I can't breath very well with a mask on even just sitting around without any physical activity. 

I think they'll have a hard time convincing people to cruise having to wear a mask in most venues. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

You're very fortunate that you can breath with a mask on.

I can't breath very well with a mask on even just sitting around without any physical activity. 

I think they'll have a hard time convincing people to cruise having to wear a mask in most venues. 

Sincerely, I would consult a physician. 

If, with my age and serious respiratory medical issues, I can wear a mask during pretty extensive physical exertion, If you cannot breath(e) sitting doing nothing, there may be underlying respiratory issues.  I would have it checked out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

Same here.......I have the same issues and wearing a mask is no problem....I think the "I can't/choose not to/do not want to/nobody can make" wear a mask crowd are hard to understand and sometimes believe.....there are all kinds of mask out there and I am sure there is one that will work.....it is still better they do not cruise though if wearing masks are the requirement and it is going to be a problem for them......which could turn into a problem for ship personnel and passengers.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, atobols said:

Yes, I would definitely sail if masks are required.  I wear one all day at work.  I cannot imagine they won't be required for at least the next year or so.

Since you wear a mask all day, I have a question.  How do people who wear glasses keep them from fogging up?  I know that one could wear contacts but they are not an option for me.  Thanks.

DON

22 hours ago, antsp said:

No, but Carnival has

Do you have a source? I am mainly curious about "booking the shows". We usually attend a few shows on our cruise but figured that people could not longer just show up....I figured there must be some sort of a lottery or whatever, and that shows may be on the cabin TVs maybe.

Doug

On 2/6/2021 at 5:30 PM, antsp said:

We have decided not to go on a cruise until mask/face coverings are not required 

my question is would you sail on a cruise were you had to wear a mask/face covering

YES or No answers please

hmmm, probably no because if masks are required then that would indicate the virus is still a major problem.

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Since you wear a mask all day, I have a question.  How do people who wear glasses keep them from fogging up?  I know that one could wear contacts but they are not an option for me.  Thanks.

DON

1)  Make sure the mask fits securely around the nose area.  If glasses fog up frequently, breath is escaping largely from the top of the mask.

2)  Get anti-fogging wipes.  They are not 100% effective, but they help us a lot.