Who Is Going to Volunteer for a Simulated Cruise?

Bgwest

chengkp75 reminds us, correctly I think, "I don't see that any cruise line will be scheduling simulated cruises for a couple of months at the earliest."

When this does happen and Princess sends out an email looking for volunteers, who is going to apply? We certainly will. 

We have also both gotten both shots, last was on the 9th. But....we were on the Coral last March when the entire world got Covid and the cruise was stopped-what a mess, and so not willing to get on a Cruise ship until they make sure it will be super safe and working like it used to.

I really think it will be 2023 before the first cruises will go and be successful, but that is only one humble opinion, so you all may know a lot more. Happy Valentine's Day to all....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shaver John said:

We have also both gotten both shots, last was on the 9th. But....we were on the Coral last March when the entire world got Covid and the cruise was stopped-what a mess, and so not willing to get on a Cruise ship until they make sure it will be super safe and working like it used to.

I really think it will be 2023 before the first cruises will go and be successful, but that is only one humble opinion, so you all may know a lot more. Happy Valentine's Day to all....

OMG - I hope not 2023. We are scheduled for one in December of this year that I'm really hope will go. Won't we all be vaccinated by then and there will be herd immunity? I know you have a much different perspective being caught up with COVID last year but do you really think it'll take that long to be safe again? I'm only asking because I'm looking at booking more cruises in 2022 (already have one booked) and now I'm asking myself if that's being too optimistic. We had to cancel three cruises in 2020 and only have one booked this year for December -- I'm really missing cruising ... and going out to lunch ... and going places in general.

Unless the CDC is going to mandate vaccination to cruise, I don't think that they would want vaccinated passengers on the simulated cruises, because if everyone is vaccinated, then you are really not testing the efficacy of remediation measures, merely going through the motions.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Unless the CDC is going to mandate vaccination to cruise, I don't think that they would want vaccinated passengers on the simulated cruises, because if everyone is vaccinated, then you are really not testing the efficacy of remediation measures, merely going through the motions.

I'd think what they'd really want is the same percentages of vaccinated and un-vaccinated as will be the case when real cruises resume, so they could get a realistic result. All un-vaccinated would be a worst case scenario, not a realistic one.

But who knows what those percentages will be? They don't even know when it might happen so they could extrapolate a wild guess as to the percentage of the general public who will be vaccinated at that time. And will the general public be representative of cruisers? Perhaps cruisers are more likely to be vaccinated than the general public because a) they trend older and older people get vaccinated first and b) those who have been vaccinated might be more likely to be willing to risk a cruise.

I'd think it would be extremely hard to target people based on whether they are vaccinated or not. If they were looking for more un-vaccinated test cruisers, in the end people who were vaccinated would just claim they weren't in order to get on the ship.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Wow.   Interesting.

That's like volunteering to possibly be infected!

I think I'll pass.  But, I know there are plenty of folks here who are anxious to go.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bgwest said:

chengkp75 reminds us, correctly I think, "I don't see that any cruise line will be scheduling simulated cruises for a couple of months at the earliest."

When this does happen and Princess sends out an email looking for volunteers, who is going to apply? We certainly will. 

Can you pay with simulated money?

Edited by hobbyfarmer2
Sp
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I'd go and I have no doubt that it would be extremely safe.  The last thing they want is to have one or more on the ship wind up with Covid.

There were just cases on a German cruise ship last week.

Four test positive for Covid-19 on Mein Schiff 2 | Crew Center (crew-center.com)

3 minutes ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Can you pay with simulated money?

it's my limited understanding that the cruise line(s) can NOT charge 'fares' for these cruises

no idea about port fees, taxes, insurance, grats, etc, etc, etc

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

it's my limited understanding that the cruise line(s) can NOT charge 'fares' for these cruises

no idea about port fees, taxes, insurance, grats, etc, etc, etc

We basically posted simultaneously. But gratuities is a good question; the crew should be compensated.

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

To be honest regardless what CDC says, I hope the cruise lines do mandate vaccinations to cruise, at least until the pandemic is clearly behind us.

• Like 6

to be honest just cause you get the vaccination doesn't mean you can't get Covid! it means you have reduced chances, one is 94% percent and one is 97% depending on which you took. a condoms are 99.9% effective and they still have babies born every year from people using them. if everyone gets the vaccination will it help, of course. but there are people that can't take it for medical reasons and what about people who can't take it for religious reasons. are you telling them you have more rights then them? if the cruise lines enforce only vaccinated people can cruise, look out for the lawsuits... so who do you think the cruise line is going to pick? a passenger  that has say 300 or more days at sea and  they have a medical condition and didn't get the vaccine, or some one that might cruise once a year that got the vaccine. the answer is show me the money!! cruise line is going to pick someone who spends the most money. in case you are wondering, i am too young to get the vaccine yet. but i will. when it is available. but i am being realistic, read the news look at you tube their are lots of people that will never get the vaccine. even medical workers, young people cause their is a 98% recovery rate. so bottom line, cruise line will have to choose. what will they do? we will see!

37 minutes ago, chef Brian said:

to be honest just cause you get the vaccination doesn't mean you can't get Covid! it means you have reduced chances, one is 94% percent and one is 97% depending on which you took. a condoms are 99.9% effective and they still have babies born every year from people using them. if everyone gets the vaccination will it help, of course. but there are people that can't take it for medical reasons and what about people who can't take it for religious reasons. are you telling them you have more rights then them? if the cruise lines enforce only vaccinated people can cruise, look out for the lawsuits... so who do you think the cruise line is going to pick? a passenger  that has say 300 or more days at sea and  they have a medical condition and didn't get the vaccine, or some one that might cruise once a year that got the vaccine. the answer is show me the money!! cruise line is going to pick someone who spends the most money. in case you are wondering, i am too young to get the vaccine yet. but i will. when it is available. but i am being realistic, read the news look at you tube their are lots of people that will never get the vaccine. even medical workers, young people cause their is a 98% recovery rate. so bottom line, cruise line will have to choose. what will they do? we will see!

Good answer

I really feel as though some just see this as a "I'm vaccinated, so let's go on a free cruise."

A number of the suggestions I have seen expounded would include a simulated (or real) breakout on a ship.  All pax would be confined to cabins for a specified period. Services other than food would cease. There potentially would be some that would need to be evacuated mid-cruise, testing the ability to evacuate sick pax.

During the first phase, cruise lines must demonstrate adherence to testing, quarantine, isolation and social distancing. Subsequent phases will include mock cruises where volunteers play the role of passengers to "test cruise ship operators' ability to mitigate COVID-19 risk". That way problems can be identified and fixed before sailing resumes.

No thanks.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

A number of the suggestions I have seen expounded would include a simulated (or real) breakout on a ship.  All pax would be confined to cabins for a specified period. Services other than food would cease. There potentially would be some that would need to be evacuated mid-cruise, testing the ability to evacuate sick pax.

"suggestions" ???