The Daily for Tuesday Feb 16, 2021

richwmn

today is Do a Grouch a Favor Day, Mardi Gras  / Fat Tuesday, and National Innovation Day

Those who in quarrels interpose, must often wipe a bloody nose.

Meal suggestion for today - Mexican Bubble Pizza

Drink of the Day - Sangria

Wine of the day - Michele Chiarlo 2017 Cipressi (Nizza) Piedmont

at Sea English Channel
Oosterdam destination Torquay eta today

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Long Beach eta 2/17
Noordam destination La Paz MX eta 2/20
Westerdam

La Paz MX Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Great Stirrup Cay Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Volendam
Zaandam

0216Tor.thumb.png.3f27d5e213ca9ff2550072eebfd9b8ce.png

0216USA.thumb.png.8226be5edef18ea9e2d6806a2c9f7554.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the Mardi Gras Daily, Rich.  Here's a salute to the innovators and those who do nice things for grouches.  I like the quote, and wait to see more about the Mexican Bubble Pizza.  I goofed yesterday and my alternate meal suggestion was actually from February 16, so here's the one for February 15.  It's Chilled Sour Cherry Soup, Fresh Fruit with Peach Schnappes, Braised Lamb Shank, and Peach Crisp, as served on MS Zaandam February 15, 2012.

Today's care list:

NextOne DH awaiting ankle reconstruction

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

RIP D. Roger Ferguson

Seasick Sailor’s friends

Those losing power

superoma recovering from lumpectomy

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Me home temporarily

The Grand Canyon

Mardi Gras float houses

Vaccinators

This community

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

I believe Himself should be either back in Illinois or returning today.  A special shoutout that doesn't quite fit in the list goes to Roger's first wife's sister (She died in 2004).  Kathy has kept in touch with Roger all these years and is a physician who has served as a primary resource and family point of contact for all these years.  Thank you Kathy,

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.

Cold and snowy (again) here today.

I'm doing a grouch a favour and letting him sleep in.  I guess I'll get the snowblower out later.

Love that little poem you quoted.

I'll google that recipe, not sure what we'll have for supper tonight, thanks for the suggestion.

Sending prayers for everyone, and an extra one for dear Roy.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Lots of grouchy people these days.  Thankfully there are championship soccer games on today so I’ll let my grouch watch them all 😉 It’s easy these days to feel grouchy so I try to do this as much as I can:

6ACC69FA-83CA-44A0-BD27-ED8B736CECA5.thumb.png.46abcc87a41a11366a2f1081f7d0f1ce.png

A big thumbs up to Marci Gras and the innovators!

Love the quote and ever so true.

Mexican Bubble Pizza and sangria go well together.  I think we’ll go for regular pizza as I can cook it early and then if we lose power reheat it in the microwave.

Why is it that the weatherman is always right when the forecast is bad?  The storm is here and is going to stay all day 😔 Big warnings on power outages.  I hope that doesn’t come to pass.  It’s no fun losing power in winter.  This applies to everyone who has been hit by the storm not just Canadians:

AADA884C-1904-4F73-955D-AF8D2B6AB4C5.jpeg.79501f90a8cc79ecd9e783d5c1d5b647.jpeg

While a lot of us are stuck in our homes hunkered down from covid or the storm, let’s remember one good thing about being at home:

AAF258E8-F377-4B45-83E1-3E2DEADB976B.jpeg.1f4f593c6670452953fcebd3d32ce7d2.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Tuesday everyone!  Stay warm and safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good morning.  It's been raining all night, our ground is so saturated.  Love do a grouch a favor day.  Happy Fat Tuesday!  And what would we do without innovators.  The meal sounds interesting, can't wait to see the recipe.  Took me awhile to figure out the poem.

Prayers and virtual hugs to our list, especially Roy, and toasts to the others.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Sangria:

Original recipe yields 6 servings
Ingredient Checklist
½ cup brandy
¼ cup lemon juice
⅓ cup frozen lemonade concentrate
⅓ cup orange juice
1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry red wine
½ cup triple sec
1 lemon, sliced into rounds
1 orange, sliced into rounds
1 lime, sliced into rounds
¼ cup white sugar (Optional)
8 maraschino cherries
2 cups carbonated water (Optional)

Directions
Instructions Checklist
Step 1 In a large pitcher or bowl, mix together the brandy, lemon juice, lemonade concentrate, orange juice, red wine, triple sec, and sugar. Float slices of lemon, orange and lime, and maraschino cherries in the mixture. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor. For a fizzy sangria, add club soda just before serving.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 7.00.49 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Here in Pennsylvania Dutch country it’s Fasnacht day. A fasnacht is a raised potato donut- no hole is cut in the center- it was traditionally fried in lard , the point was to use up the fats before Lent. It can be eaten plain, powdered sugar or with molasses.

We never did get ice last night, just rain.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

9C27D721-04B4-4894-A3AF-84AF650AB1F3.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.   

We weathered the storm last night, but didn't get as much snow as predicted.  My plow guys came, but it doesn't look like it.  I guess I'll have to go out and finish what they left.  We got more ice than snow and that may be part of the problem.  

Today's meal sounds good.  I'd tweak the recipe a bit.  There are a couple of versions.  One version is done in the slow cooker and the other in the oven.  I'll post them both.  I think instead of tomato soup, I would use pizza topping or tomato sauce with some herbs and seasonings. 

Slow cooker version:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mexican-bubble-pizza/

Traditional oven recipe:

https://fabulesslyfrugal.com/recipes/mexican-bubble-pizza/

Mexican Bubble Pizza.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone. Up early for a podiatrist appointment. We had freezing rain last night, but the temps are in the low 40s so I’m hoping the roads are OK.

Last night DH finally found a site open to register for the vaccine. It asked him to fax the front and back of his insurance card, but there was no fax number. This is getting ridiculously frustrating.

Stay safe everyone and double mask.

Carol

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Last night DH finally found a site open to register for the vaccine. It asked him to fax the front and back of his insurance card, but there was no fax number. This is getting ridiculously frustrating.

Was that a requirement.  In Maryland the language about health insurance is in the signup but greyed out and no questions are asked about Insurance.  I got my first jab without ever being asked about insurance.  I think the signup was hastily adapted from an existing application and there are some vestiges of un-needed information.

Roy

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Here in Pennsylvania Dutch country it’s Fasnacht day. A fasnacht is a raised potato donut- no hole is cut in the center- it was traditionally fried in lard , the point was to use up the fats before Lent. It can be eaten plain, powdered sugar or with molasses.

Or in my family, Fasnacht is the maiden surname of my great-great-grandmother. She was born in McConnellsburg, PA

• Like 14

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Cheers to the Innovators! I am sure I will find a grouch somewhere today & I will do something nice for her or him. The Mardi Gras float houses are amazing & innovative!

Roy, hope you are doing well. Thank you for keeping our lists and your sunrise pictures! Morning Dailyites! Thought provoking quote. Love Sangria, both red and white varieties. The meal sounds yummy. I suspect I would prefer the oven version, so thank you for posting both, Debbie!

Some pretty intense Tstorms last night, but they seemed to have cleared out the humidity that has been hanging around. I foresee a long walk in Bindi’s future. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone.

This Italian red has excellent ratings for all released vintages. And a very reasonable price. One online distributor offers it for $13.99 - with a $50 minimum order. Enjoy the descriptions. Ahhh, that “whiff of graphite”!

Winemaker Notes

#35 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

Intense ruby red. The nose is surprising for its clarity and elegance, red fruit, mature cherry, raspberry and the sweet notes of tobacco. Complex, structured and impresses for its fresh softness and roundness; pleasing savory finish. Ideal pairings include cured meats, filled pastas, red meat.

WE94 Wine Enthusiast: Vinous aromas of just-pressed grapes, fragrant blue flower and mature blueberry form the inviting nose along with whiffs of graphite and underbrush. Chewy and delicious, the smooth concentrated palate doles out succulent black cherry, crushed blackberry, star anise and a hint of game alongside velvety tannins. Drink through 2025. 

WS92 Wine Spectator: Rich and ripe, featuring a mouthful of black cherry, blackberry, pomegranate and spice flavors. Dense, yet remains balanced, with bright acidity and firm tannins for support. Shows terrific purity and length.
  • Like 24

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Was that a requirement.  In Maryland the language about health insurance is in the signup but greyed out and no questions are asked about Insurance.  I got my first jab without ever being asked about insurance.  I think the signup was hastily adapted from an existing application and there are some vestiges of un-needed information.

Roy

I agree, Roy. That happened here, too.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

It must be different here in Florida In Brevard county where I live they asked for my insurance information. I actually received it in Orange County ( Orlando) and they also asked for it.  The Publix site is also asking for insurance info.

Overcast and rainy here today.  But temps in the 70s.

Stay safe everyone and please wear your masks.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'd say I live with a grouch, but I really don't; he's a very even-tempered man and I'm fortunate to be at his side.  He says that a lot.  LOL   Fat Tuesday suits me fine, as do other days of the week!  And what would we do without the innovators of the world?

I feel bad for all who are in the path of that horrible winter storm, from Missisippi all the way through to the Maritime provinces.  Here on the "frozen tundra" storms like that are commonplace, and we have ways of dealing with them with alternate heat sources, generators, etc., but many don't.  Sending prayers and good vibes to everyone suffering the wrath of Mother Nature.

Today is Shrove Tuesday so we'll have shroves for dinner - a tradition in our house since I was a child.  I'll make up pancakes, bacon, saskatoon berry fruit topping, and my fave - peanut butter and maple syrup.  DH almost gagged the first time he saw me putting that on pancakes, but when he tried it, he liked it.  And wine.

I spent time yesterday doing a tutorial for a friend on how to make 3-D masks; I used my little iPad mini and was able to use the voice to text feature.  It was so easy - now I'll email it to her along with a couple of short videos so she can make them as well.

Speaking of wine - whiffs of graphite and underbrush, chewy?  It almost sounds like bubble tea with tapioca pearls.  LOL  On the other hand, I LOVE Sangria, and can't wait for the warm weather to come back so I/we can actually appreciate a pitcher of it while sitting outside on the deck.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers and hugs for Roy.  Raising the wine glasses tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, keep warm, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 23

40 minutes ago, dfish said:

I'd tweak the recipe a bit.  There are a couple of versions.  One version is done in the slow cooker and the other in the oven.  I'll post them both.  I think instead of tomato soup, I would use pizza topping or tomato sauce with some herbs and seasonings. 

Thanks for the recipe as always, Debbie 🙂 

I completely agree with your tweaking.  I’d probably pass on the ground beef and use a nice Italian sausage instead too. 😄 

I didn’t know there was a slow cooker recipe.  Two outlets in the kitchen work with the generator when we lose power so I could make this!

Much appreciated.

• Like 18

🌺Good Morning everyone!! Thank you to Rich for today’s quotes! So far fingers crossed that I don’t get any grouches today LOL! So far everyone is kind with big smiles with the vaccines 👍

🌺Hope you are doing well Roy and my prayers go out to you as always.

🌺Jacqui❤️❤️ Thank you so much for AS ALWAYS HELPING on Roy’s behalf so he can relax, get well and know he has an angel helping!!! Your so kind.

🌺Summer love  Sangria !!! Brings me

back to Postitano. 🍷

🌺Debbie, your version of the pizza sounds good! Never heard of this before BUT I would be willing to try this👍

❤️❤️ To my sisters Ann and Joy!

Think if you guys everyday! Sorry about all the snow and cold in Texas! Saw it on the news last night! And Florida is getting

a lot of rain too!!  

I am up early at 5Am!😳 heading out soon will be getting the vaccines out of freezer to thaw for this later this am.

❤️Have a wonderful day all

Denise😊

• Like 19

45 minutes ago, dfish said:

I think instead of tomato soup, I would use pizza topping or tomato sauce with some herbs and seasonings. 

Traditional oven recipe:

https://fabulesslyfrugal.com/recipes/mexican-bubble-pizza/

The oven method has a link to Bubble Pizza. I'll use that with hamburger, salsa and Mexican cheese blend tonight as well as keeping the Italian version for another night.

• Like 10

Good morning and thanks for the Daily!

The local weatherman just came on and said that the temperature in Wichita dropped from -10 to -16 an hour ago. Hoping we can avoid the rolling blackouts, and sure looking forward to that 40 they say we'll make it to this weekend.

It was odd seeing snow on the beach at Galveston, and to hear Louisiana having parts of every major interstate closed for snow coverage. Strange news is becoming commonplace...

It was reported yesterday morning here that vaccination was on hold due to the weather only to see on the news last night that the lines had simply been moved indoors. The level is finally down to 70 and over, so there has been progress.

Warmer thoughts.... we enjoyed a colorful sunrise as we sailed into Puerto Chiapas a year ago.

A.thumb.JPG.e4a361f2d1b66799198a79d90806c09c.JPG

B.thumb.jpg.334eddf0c3e1b68dd2747137b2f68e81.jpg

Stay safe and healthy. And warm, if you can. 

Have a great day!

Lori & George

• Like 27

15 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

It must be different here in Florida In Brevard county where I live they asked for my insurance information. I actually received it in Orange County ( Orlando) and they also asked for it.  The Publix site is also asking for insurance info.

Overcast and rainy here today.  But temps in the 70s.

Stay safe everyone and please wear your masks.

It is bizarre. Neither Flagler nor Volusia counties are asking for insurance info. At least the county sites aren’t. 

• Like 3