New Ship Name Revealed tomorrow 18/2/21

cruisefan2012

55 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I expect they didn't go for Isla as it is too close to Iona. There really are some people who find it hard to remember the name of the ship they are on. Imagine the potential chaos if the two ships were to be in the same port...😱😄

Which is why I was hoping they’d go for something beginning with a completely different letter instead of another beginning with A. Ventura and Britannia are memorable names. Iona is all right too. But with 2 Os and   5 As not long ago, it could get confusing. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 4:52 PM, yorkshirephil said:

So which ship will have their maiden voyage first Iona or Harvey? Just asking for a friend.

I'm just hoping they they aren't in port at the same time. Were we sailing on Iron, or Avril?.🤔

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Which is why I was hoping they’d go for something beginning with a completely different letter instead of another beginning with A. Ventura and Britannia are memorable names. Iona is all right too. But with 2 Os and   5 As not long ago, it could get confusing. 

Fortunately, it's easy for me. Either Aurora or Arcadia...😀

• Like 5

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Maybe they are planning a big naming and launch ceremony, with the media emblazoned with lots of adverts announcing,   

"ARVIA HAS ARRIVED"?

Not to be confused with ARRIVA buses that don't very often.

Regards John

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

It could be worse - like Celebrity Edge, Apex and Beyond for instance...

Have to say love the name EDGE as is links with being the cutting edge and we get that.

Really don't like Apex and Beyond. 

We also thought they needed something short to fit on the funnel but the last one may be Beyo

😉

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Fortunately, it's easy for me. Either Aurora or Arcadia...😀

It is easy when you’re a seasoned cruiser and know what you like, but it can get confusing for potential first time cruisers who haven’t got a clue that the P&O stable has a variety of ships. Different sizes, different atmosphere, family, adult only etc. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Have to say love the name EDGE as is links with being the cutting edge and we get that.

We also thought they needed something short to fit on the funnel but the last one may be Beyo

😉

P.S. 
Have also been trying to say the names aloud. Now Celebrity EDGE, APEX and even BEYOND is easy to say. 

Now try the P&O ones:

P&O Britannia, Ventura etc etc. Easy to say until you try P&O's Arvia - not the one to try after a few cocktails. 

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

P.S. 
Have also been trying to say the names aloud. Now Celebrity EDGE, APEX and even BEYOND is easy to say. 

Now try the P&O ones:

P&O Britannia, Ventura etc etc. Easy to say until you try P&O's Arvia - not the one to try after a few cocktails. 

Maybe Arvia is one of these new trendy gins ... maybe that's it?

I had a double Arvia with tonic on the our Vera in the Ave Maria lounge....🥴

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Maybe Arvia is one of these new trendy gins ... maybe that's it?

I had a double Arvia with tonic on the our Vera in the Ave Maria lounge....🥴

With piano accompaniment by our Gary 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

It is easy when you’re a seasoned cruiser and know what you like, but it can get confusing for potential first time cruisers who haven’t got a clue that the P&O stable has a variety of ships. Different sizes, different atmosphere, family, adult only etc. 

Which is why I - and several others on this board - felt they should sub divide the brand into two. The newer, family ships branded P&O Contemporary and the older, adult-only ones P&O Classic. But never mind, it probably won't be that long until P&O is only operating large family-friendly ships...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

P.S. 

Now try the P&O ones:

Personally, I don't think it is hard to pronounce. The only question mark is around where the emphasis is on - Ar, Vi or A.... Whichever is used people will still know what you mean.

3 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Personally, I don't think it is hard to pronounce. The only question mark is around where the emphasis is on - Ar, Vi or A.... Whichever is used people will still know what you mean.

How to pronounce ARVIA in Latin | HowToPronounce.com

This one pronounces it as ar we a .... I think 

Good luck

Edited by Presto2

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

I expect they didn't go for Isla as it is too close to Iona. There really are some people who find it hard to remember the name of the ship they are on. Imagine the potential chaos if the two ships were to be in the same port...😱😄

That reminds me of a cruise on Oceana.We travelled by the cruise connect coach and some on the coach were joining Oceana, the others joining Oriana.The coach driver loaded the cases on and we set off to Southampton. We dropped the people boarding Oriana off first and it was a good job that we were sitting on the side of the coach that the cases were being unloaded as I looked out to see one of our cases being  placed with those cruising on Oriana.My husband quickly got off the coach to explain to the coach driver and I think its because both ships begin with and end with the same letter and are similar in word length.Its the only time that we have travelled by coach when there have been passengers joining 2 ships and possibly because the names were similar the problem occured?

• Like 2

P&O's new ship name will be a big problem to the  dyslexic cruisers people.  My friend has done a lot of good work for the dyslexic community in fact she was given an OBE.  She wasn't as pleased as I thought she should be and said she probably would never be able to learn to play it.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

😉

Edge is not a name to Love if you are a member of the flat Earth Society. APE...X is not good either.🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

They mean something but without any connection to a ship...

Edge meant cutting edge I think and she is certainly that.

Have to say I always used to sing Lady Ga Ga Edge of Glory when I was on her 🙂

Beautiful ship and very much on the cutting edge of design.

Now the names Apex and Beyond really are beyond me 🙂

7 hours ago, Presto2 said:

P.S. 

Now try the P&O ones:

Totally agree Presto. Up until Arvia (Our Vera) the P&O ships are much softer sounding. I think Arvia is too harsh. As an aside, I was on a cruise with a couple of girlfriends a few years ago (can't remember which ship) and they had a Crooner's Bar which one of the girls called The Coroner's Bar from day one to day 14. Think we've worked in general practice for too long! Jane.x

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Totally agree Presto. Up until Arvia (Our Vera) the P&O ships are much softer sounding. I think Arvia is too harsh. As an aside, I was on a cruise with a couple of girlfriends a few years ago (can't remember which ship) and they had a Crooner's Bar which one of the girls called The Coroner's Bar from day one to day 14. Think we've worked in general practice for too long! Jane.x

Oooooo I have white coat syndrome so  my blood pressures goes sky high even at the mention of any thing medical.

This made me howl laughing though ---- just hope all patients don't need a coroner --- ha ha ha

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Have to say I always used to sing Lady Ga Ga Edge of Glory when I was on her

And, iirc, the last recording made by the legendary Clarence Clemons. Every time I hear his solo on "Edge of Glory" I get a sad feeling down inside. A true legend.